“Very nice traditional English seaside hotel”
Review of The Manor Hotel

The Manor Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Mundesley
Yorkshire, United Kingdom
“Very nice traditional English seaside hotel”
Reviewed July 30, 2013

I stayed here for 1 night,with a work colleague, while working in the Mundesley area.

Check in was very efficient and friendly. We had rooms with views along the coast - absolutley loveley. The rooms were comfortable - nice comfy bed - loads of fluffy towells - huge wardrobe cupboard - and the free wifi with no annoying passwords which worked wonderfully. Four packets of biscuits - luxury !

Had a very pleasant nights sleep - no noise at all !

Downside ? Breakfast.... I have to agree with some other contributors that the breakfast room is rather dark and dated (for want of a better word) and the ability to have breakfast in the area overlooking the sea - an area one can see but not use - would have been far better. Also we arrived just before breakfast started at 7am and finally got the cooked breakfast at 7.25 (Giving us 5 min to consume it as we had to leave the Hotel at 07.35 for a work appointment). Our fault for only having 30min ? Possibly but it wasn't busy and 25 min does seem a long time.

This is a shame - as all the staff throughout the hotel were friendly and helpfull, the setting is perfect and the rooms are extreemly well provisioned and comfortable. Would stay again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 28, 2013

This room is described as a Superior room, sadly we cannot agree with this description on any level. The furniture is miss-matched, and was dusty. The bathroom is very dated, the hand basin would not hold water and the water was tepid, there was no shower only an attachment, which to use you had to sit on a kind of shelf in the bath on kneel down in the bath! We had to ask for toiletries.The bathroom itself, was cladded in some sort of laminate, not tiles! The rooms are overpriced in our opinion.
Give the food a miss, is my advice, The glamorously titled Terrace Bar is awful, the restaurant is depressing. I ordered with some trepidation,Scampi and chips, with a side salad...this was served ( I use the term lightly) in a bowl, with masses of oven chips, the Scampi was tasteless , the "side salad" consisted of a piece of limp lettuce and a piece of limp watercress ( at least I think this was what it was)! Breakfast is served in the restaurant, which is dark and seems to double up as a carvery and function room, and is nothing special, don't expect anything as ambitious as Croissants!

However the location however is good, overlooking a great beach and the building its self is a lovely Victorian building, but is in dire need of renovation. There are no restaurants nearby worth noting, we had to drive into Overstrand.

Room Tip: Give it a miss
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank cbiss
terryb55, Owner at The Manor Hotel, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
i dont normally respond to many of these reviews but i think i need to on this one,
firstly the superior room overlooks the sea it has cherry wood furniture in it which will attract the dust as soon as you leave the room please remember it is a 130 year old building not a modern aircon holiday inn,
in the 10 foot by six foot bathroom there is a large corner bath big enough for 2 people, the walls have a laminate bathroom cladding which does not get mouldiy and is more hygenic,the shower attachment is for hair washing not showering. we supply complimentary showering and body lotions on arrival we dont usually supply them everyday.
the depressing restaurant is in an all glass fronted room only 20 foot away from the edge of the cliff with uninterupted views of the north sea painted a lovely pastel lemon with high back modern leather chairs wooden laminate flooring and cream or bergundy tablcloths,on what planet could that be classed as depressing.
i shall say no more i think i have made my point, if you wish to come to a lovely old victorian hotel with fantastic views really helpful staff, pretty good food all at very reasonable prices and you are happy souls who come to enjoy themselves please come and give us a visit i guarantee you will not be dissapointed.
the old adage if you enjoy yourself and usually we have some 70 people per week staying in the hotel you will tell a friend if you dont enjoy you will try to tell the whole world.
Reviewed July 24, 2013 via mobile

Such a beautiful location, The family who own this hotel are one of nicest we have ever met, the staff are all lovely and will do anything to please and help you! The food in this hotel is simply delicious and the rooms are amazing with beautiful sea views!! It's extremely clean and a welcoming friendly atmosphere!! We have 2 small children under two and as a mother I couldn't feel more comfortable then I do staying here.. it truly is an amazing place! Thankyou to everyone at The Manor for making our holidays great :) we will continue to return !

• Stayed July 2013
Devon
Reviewed July 23, 2013

We were so looking forward to our stay at this hotel. We booked two rooms, one with sea views. Unfortunately I had to clean both rooms on arrival. Although the basics may have been done, all the furniture was covered in dust, the kettle and cups were dusty and there were areas of the bathrooms that had not been cleaned for a long time! My tip to the hotel would be to get a proper cleaning team in. The bedding was clean but did not fit the duvet. The restaurant was awful! It smelt of mould and damp. We went for breakfast on the first morning and it put us off eating there on following mornings. The food was not great, cheap products don't help a chef! There has obviously been some improvements in the hotel and areas that have been modernised but not all to a good standard. Bathrooms need a lot of attention. The staff were pleasant when around but there was a lack of anyone visable in charge. Mundesley has a lovely beach, the hotel could be lovely but needs care and attention and is overpriced for what it is offering.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank L M
Amersham, Bucks
Reviewed July 21, 2013

Terry and staff welcomed us back like old friends despite us being a group of 20. Rooms efficiently organised and the conservatory at our disposal. Enjoyed participating in the Tuesday pub quiz too.
Breakfast set us up for a day on the beach and Terry sorted us a special dinner menu . Already booked for next year. It's value for money and does what it says.

Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 10, 2013 via mobile

Nice hotel on the sea, almost in the middle of Mundesley, ample parking as I arrived.
I stayed for 3 nights in the basic double room on my own.
After arriving a little early for check-in, and immediately noticing the antique grandfather clock as i entered which was beautiful, I was invited to have a coffee in the bar in the tasteful comfortable bar area, after a 3 hour drive it was a delight to sit back in the red leather settee with a coffee which was reasonably priced and made with proper espresso machine with good coffee.
After a short wait I went to my room, at the front of the hotel, overlooking the main road, my view being the garden of the property opposite, which appeared rather large with a large amount of trees, so a lovely green outlook.
The room itself was clean and tidy with functional basic furnishings with 4 basic pillows on the bed with a thick duvet and small tv (with free view) that was fixed to the wall and the usual free tea and coffee and biscuits (custard creams and bourbons if you must know) having stayed the first night the mattress was rather basic again but allowed me to have a sound nights sleep.
When I woke I went for a shower, the cubicle was small (although I am we'll over 6 feet tall.) the water pressure was poor, although I was able to have a reasonable shower.
I then made myself a coffee in my room, the UHT milk was off! I spoke with staff who promptly apologised and replenished my supply of milk with sincere apologies.
When I have gone downstairs to breakfast (served till 9.30 on a weekend) at 8.30 I was greeted by a waitress rather flustered as her chef hadn't turned up and she was left to cook breakfast! (He was there for the remaining two days) A feat she did well with as well as managing guests of which there were around 6 - 8 including myself. The full English consisted of sausage, 2 bacon, fried slice, mushrooms and a grilled tomato. Although having bypassed the mushrooms on the first day I asked for baked beans and they were more than accommodating. There was also an array of cereals and a carousel toaster which you could use yourself, with a choice of white or brown bread with butter (no spread) and marmalade or jam, there was also condiments and fruit juice which you could help yourself to.
The food was served in good time though throughout my stay and was always tasty, but nothing better than average.

All in all? If you were looking for a basic, well kept hotel at a reasonable rate, this is where to go, the staff were happy to help and the food was okay. i'd stay here again for a short break as was my stay this time!

Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Will R
Dereham, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 28, 2013

This review is about the restaurant rather than the hotel, but customer service applies to both, and I am afraid that was distinctly lacking.

We stopped here for a meal on Bank Holiday Monday and were surprised how empty the car park was on a day when Mundesley was heaving with people. Inside it was easy to get a table and perhaps we discovered the reason why.

The food is not badly priced although when the dishes arrive you will see that portion control is obviously important to delivering a profit (yes not over generous), and hence it was typical that the menu heralded "eight onion rings" side order actually delivered seven. Now I enjoy friendly conversation with staff and so made a flippant comment to our waitress about better not to put the number on the menu if you don't deliver eight.

The waitress stood blankly and then went off, I assumed to report the comment to someone in charge or to the kitchen.

We ate our meal which although nothing spectacular (standard fare unfortunately including processed ham for the ham, egg and chips) was pleasant enough.

No check-back from waitress or supervisor, no effort to ask if we wanted anything else (hence lost sales of probably another £30), and above all no feedback on the "missing" onion ring. So needless to say I followed up on it, by asking the waitress.

To which my quiet waitress moved from silent to sullen and rude, which left me for the first time in a very long time actually speechless.

After suggesting that if anyone wanted paying it might actually be a good idea to ask a manager or owner to come and see me, she did summon the owner.

Having made excuses and assuring me that he had actually given instructions to the absent supervisor to deduct a pound off our bill, he clearly felt he had rectified the situation, and left with out actually using the word sorry. My 90 year old aunt who hates fuss actually commented that he was not very genuine and she was not surprised that he had so few customers, and in fact was presumably losing any that came in.

Well the old adage if you upset one customer they tell 100 friends is never truer. I see that he responds to reviews on here, my only hope is that he learns from them.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank DerehamDad
terryb55, Owner at The Manor Hotel, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
a really pathetic review over an onion ring
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mundesley
Cromer Country Club
#1 of 1 in Overstrand
The Pheasant Hotel
The Pheasant Hotel
#1 of 1 in Kelling

Been to The Manor Hotel? Share your experiences!