“It could have been better”

The Royal Hotel, Mundesley
Ranked #3 of 5 Mundesley B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 20, 2012

My husband and I booked an executive room as we were both celebrating recent important birthdays and expected everything to be the best. However, even though the room was very clean it lacked all the special little things such as a hook in the bathroom for dressing gown or similar, somewhere to put our toiletries, i.e. shelf. The shower was very dangerous to get in or out as nothing to hold on to for support on the wet surface. We would have expected a clock radio in an executive room, also possibly a box of tissues but neither of these were there. It was very basic, to say the least. The meals were O.K. but somewhat pub-like in presentation. All in all we were not over-impressed. Nowhere to sit and natter to other guests after dinner at night, apart from the bar, due to the fact that the whole place is undergoing refurbishment. Needless to say, we will not be returning.

Room Tip: Don`t bother with Executive, just go for an ordinary Superior Double.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed September 18, 2012

The hotel was scruffy,dirty and dangerous when i stayed in june 2012. The entrance had weeds,planters full of water and fag ends and balustrades broken and in a dangerous state. The lounge chairs had been repaired with black sticky tape. The dining room was dirty with radiators next to dining tables covered in old food and drink stains. The advertised chic coffee lounge was still being fitted out . The ONLY reasonable areas of the premises were the bedroom and bar.

• Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank Royal2579
Reviewed September 13, 2012

I stayed with a friend on holiday in July 2012 for 3 days. Though extensive remodeling was still ongoing, I was very pleased with this hotel. Our room was far enough from the remodeling and so we didn't experience any problems from that.
The room was very nice, a very good size with all necessary amenities. Everything was very clean. The beds were very comfortable. Everyone was very helpful. Would definitely use this hotel again.
My only complaint was with being able to access Wi Fi. It was unable to in the room and when I tried at 2 other areas of the hotel was not able to access at those either. I hope that problem might be resolved with the conclusion of the remodeling.
We had breakfast there and were very well satisfied. And also had dinner there a couple of the evenings.
Very good hotel and service.

Room Tip: If you need internet, be sure to inquire when booking.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 4, 2012

We have been visitng this hotel for 25 years and would like to congratuate the Fotis family for the very high standard of the refurbiishment of the hotel - the new areas blend extremely well with the older "tradittional" areas and we had a very enjoyble stay at the hotel with our children.

It is quite obvious that they have put in a lot of time and effort, and of course a very substantial investment, to ensure that the rooms and hotel are finished to the highest standards and I would urge anybody that has visited previously to come back and see the "new look" Royal Hotel - I am sure you will be very pleasantly surprised !

We can not wait for our next visit and when the refurbishment works are completed to see the hotel in its full glory.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 3, 2012

The room was lovely and had everything we needed, however, we partly chose this hotel because of its 'cycle friendly' logo. The reception was most unhelpful as to where to put our bicycles. The breakfast was extremely disappointing with factory sliced bread and jelly like jam. The scrambled egg was definitely not free-range. We would not stay here again.

Reviewed September 2, 2012

the beds very hard,it stated well lit work station in fact it did not even have a light near it ,overhead shower is in fact a hair wash shower that rests on the taps impossible to shower with.the room was so hot even with windows wide open,it felt that things were all done on the cheap ie our lamp shade was one you buy for couple pound.the coffee lounge does not go with the rest of hotel you get old bar that then opens into modern coffee lounge.the good thing was the food was nice,but overall it not worth the price 2 nights later stayed in a fantastic place near kings lynn which was ten pound a night cheaper but it was like 4 star .will not return to the royal.

Reviewed August 28, 2012

We arrived early and I went in to ask if they minded that I park in the car park till check in. The lady behind reception said ok. She was a little short with me though and told me not to come back till 2.30 as they were busy. I guess she is just a relief, due to her inexperience in dealing with paying customers.
On to the rest, the hotel room was lovely and clean, and very well presented, the only real problem was that it overlooked the smoking area, when I asked about another quieter room I was told that don't worry it is not to warm tonight I am sure it will be quiet by midnight! (same lady again). The neighbours had a screaming baby which they decided to shout at, they had us up till late and awake at 6am. I wish management would group family rooms together, because some go away for peace and quiet, for £80 per night I expect some peace.
The food, this was adequate and fairly generous, the breakfast was a bit of a wait but this was due to our waitress giving our breakfast to another couple. She took the order, but blamed the kitchen for the error.
I know this review is a bit negative, but I cannot lie to other people considering staying here.
In conclusion the Hotel is not bad, the revamped rooms are nice, but poor management seems to be failing the overall experience. A really simple fix for all these problems would be to send all the staff on a people skills course.
I would stay again but only after I had been offered a quiter room and they got a new friendly willing receptionist.

Room Tip: Be sure to ask for a quiet room, not overlooking the smoking terrace. Don't turn up early, even...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mundesley
The Manor Hotel
Sea Marge Hotel
Sea Marge Hotel
#1 of 1 in Overstrand
The Cliftonville Hotel

Been to The Royal Hotel, Mundesley? Share your experiences!