“An Italian gem - Not quit the original e cucina, but nearly.”

Thirty Eight Chairs
Ranked #42 of 1,040 Restaurants in Yarra
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed August 21, 2013

This is a great place for lunch or dinner, with excellent food,great atmosphere and amazing service. We have eaten in a lot of Italian restaurants and this place is up there with the best. The food is reminiscent of caffe e cucina in the early days. The pasta dishes were amazing, especially the duck ragout pappardelle.The antipasto was generous with a good selection of meats and specialties.
There is a great variety of wines and beer and the coffee is terrific.
This is a small place that can get very noisy at night, but this is part of the charm. It is also a restaurant full of locals,which is also a good lead.

2  Thank 00BCK

Reviewed August 2, 2013

What a great pace for Dinner,
Small, cosy and full of atmosphere.

There are 2 outstanding features of this restaurant. The staff and service was just unbelievable, all restaurants should strive to match their service, and the food was just superb. I've eaten in Italy before, this is the closest to real Italian that I've found in Australia.

Was a little expensive but worth every cent.

This has now become one of my favourite Melbourne restaurants.

Reviewed June 28, 2013

We flew to Melbourne for our anniversary. One of the highlights should have been dinner at Thirty-Eight chairs. Because they do two booking we we're asked to come at 8.15 which we did. They knew who we were, we were greeted warmly "Don't worry I'll look after you.." and the people on our table had their bill. They gave us a thimble of Presecco and asked us to wait at a table outside. We were expecting a short wait before we move to "our" table and the warmth inside. Then they started setting us up at the outside table??? I asked when we were moving inside (remembering the people on our table had their bill), it's now 9 o'clock. We were finally shown to a table inside just in front of the kitchen and round the corner from the bar. The constant stream of waiter traffic & noise meant we could hardly hear one another let alone the Italian waiter explaining the special. The head man came back and again reassured us that he would look after us! We ordered some wine and asked for some olives to keep us going - they brought us a glass of ice! Anyway, long story short. The main courses arrived at 10.15 - 2 hours after we'd arrived. The food was fine, but nothing to write home to Nonna in Italy about. It also wasn't cheap. My advice to 38 tables would be lose a few tables, free up some space, reduce the number of patrons that way when they talk the talk they may be able to walk the walk. Unfortunately one of our highlights turned into one of our lowlights.

Reviewed May 19, 2013

Although there are many great dining venues in South Yarra, I have dined at Thirty-Eight Chairs three times in two weeks! But don't take my word, try it for yourself. First, you will be warmly welcomed. The food is absolutely delicious, light and fresh. I tried the reginette with duck ragu and on another time, the spaghetti with scallops and asparagus. Both were generously drenched in olive oil but it wasn't overpowering. The portion served was just right. A glass of Pinot Grigio was an excellent choice to complement the dish. The breakfast menu was perfect, that is, if you are not into large breakfast servings. Coffee was great too. Save space for dessert, my favorites were the rich chocolate brownie and friand. The service was very attentive and charming. The only drawback is that it is rather crammed but hey food is great!

Reviewed April 26, 2013

This place is sensational. I spent a week in Melbourne eating a lot of different meals in a lot of different restaurants and the lunch I had here was my standout favourite meal (i had a fresh pea and spinach gnocchi and chased it down with a lovely Campari cocktail!). It's busy, and its not hard to see why, the food is good, the staff are warm and welcoming and seem to really care that you have chosen to dine here. Our waiter was a real smoothie who knows how to treat his customers to make them feel special.