“Home is where your heart is”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kokstad
Stoneybrook Ranch Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #9 of 23 Kokstad B&B and Inns
Mangapwani, Zanzibar
“Home is where your heart is”
Reviewed July 25, 2014

I have to say to begin, Im a little bit biased in writing this review. I am originally from Kokstad and have basically grown up at Stoneybrook. Whilst living in other cities and countries, I have yet to go back to South Africa and see my family without stopping in and visiting Stoneybrook. I always know exactly whose face I will see, I know the smells and the warmth and the little homey touches will all be exactly the same as when I last was there. The food is always the same and by always the same I mean INCREDIBLY delicious. I have my menu choice prepared in my head for at least 2 days before I visit - bbq chicken wings and then the steak. Joseph and Thandie in the kitchen know exactly how I like my steak and they cook it to perfection every. single. time (Im drooling as I think about it). My boyfriend had the pork chops - it has to be said he is the fussiest person in the world and he couldnt stop going on about it. Shane and Annette are so warm and welcoming and it shows through everything. We stayed in room number 2 which was perfect, there was no chance for us to get cold with the electric blanket and two heaters waiting and ready for us. Annemarie who had just started there, was so sweet, making sure that we didnt have to want for anything without being annoying and persistent. I love Stoneybrook and everything about it. Just GO! Thank you again to the team for always letting me come back to home. HURRY UP JANUARY!

Room Tip: Choose the rooms closest to the main restaurant - they are the best. If you can, book the log cabin...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank KerryStokes

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Beacon Bay; East London
Reviewed May 4, 2014

Before you read on, please note that this review is about their camping accommodation ONLY and NOT about their A-frame chalets or restaurant, we are unable to comment on these as we only saw them from the outside.
As far as camping goes, the owners have cleared a field between a short landing strip and a small stream. They have erected some stone braai areas out in the open and that is really where it begins and ends.We were placed near a somewhat dodgy timber-tent chalet in order to use a power point. We were lucky as the other 'sites' have no power; little (if any) tree cover and are quite far from a somewhat 'rustic' ablution.
Camping has changed guys - power-points are the norm. A tap, clean and modern ablutions (sometimes even private ablutions), use of a kitchen and scullery area are now on offer at most reputable camp sites. Campers aren't squatters, most of us camp by choice - we love it. We love cooking and sleeping under the stars and have invested a lot of money in our gear. We are generally happy to pay a little more for the better sites, many of which are now graded by the TGASA. Sorry, I have digressed. We were invited to use the kitchenette and shower available in the abovementioned chalet but found these both to be so rickety and unpleasant that we (all 7 of us without exception) literally used these when absolutely essential.
I simply cannot recommend Stoneybrook as a camping destination as it stands now.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank omegacon

Travelers are raving about these Kokstad hotels

Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed December 30, 2013

We had to find a place to stop over on our way to Port St Johns and we booked at Stoneybrook. Really beautiful setting and the rustic cottage could be the perfect getaway from busy city life for couples or couples with kids.

There was just a lack of effort put into the cleaning. We first thought it was just "rustic" but then discovered it was actually just dirty. The patio chairs were filthy - in fact the one chair had fishhooks on it - luckily we did not sit on it! The gas ran out so we could did not have hot water the next morning. We ordered food from the "steak ranch" and received calamari that was deep fried to a crisp and chops that were over-cooked and dry (at a price, I might add).

Stoneybrook really has the potential but it looks like no one actually cares about the place. It was affordable (R600) but there is really no excuse for a place not being clean.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Ipswich, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 26, 2012

There was a muck up on our camping reservation, and there were some noisy youngsters on the site, so for the same price we were put into A frame huts with ensuite - that is what I call good service, and it will be rewarded as we are bound to go back!

Very hot when we went, but Boma by pool lovely. Good choice of cooled beers, though not on tap.

Had good steak supper and excellent breakfast - also good advice to go to Addo via the Northern route. Probably 15 minutes longer, but only if the N2 didn't have hold ups, which is usually does!. Had a gorgeous pretty drive through with nearly no traffic.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends