Van der Valk Hotel
$107
Hotel Arena(Gelsenkirchen)
$103
$86
No availability for your dates from our partners
1,109 results
All reviewsmovie parknice hotelbooked hoteldusseldorf messebig hotelenjoyed our staycomfort roomone nightbig roomtea and coffeecomfortable staycomfortable roomsbusiness triprestauantgermanynlautobahn
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 21, 2013

Stayed 2 nights in July 2013 for a friend's wedding.

The room:
Stuffy and hot. It didn't have air conditioning, somewhat problematic when Europe is experiencing one of the hottest Summers for decades. Not only that the bathroom emitted odd waves of stench. Also Wifi is only available in the reception. I have no idea what century they live in but if you are a 3 star hotel, these are the basics. Please get them right.

The breakfast:
Extensive spread but the quality was mixed. What really annoyed me was that when I asked for soft-boiled eggs, the waitress told me that it would cost extra! I asked why 2 eggs soft boiled would be charged when 2 eggs hard boiled wouldn't. She couldn't answer the question and I get them for free. But this is a conversation that I shouldn't have had to have.
The water jug for the buffet was chipped. What amazes me is that it reappeared on the second day!!! How can no one notice this??
Dirty glasses also quite a frequent occurrence.

Other facilities
The hotel used to have a spa, this is now shut. No idea why or when it will open again. The website just has certain services crossed out. Which is rather special. When I booked, many months ago it was still functioning. Who has time to check that facilities are still there?

All in all a ridiculous stay. Avoid if possible!

Room Tip: Just avoid this hotel.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Gourmet Adventu... T
Reviewed June 29, 2013 via mobile

I was here for my brother in law's graduation. I ordered apple juice and the taste was very bad, I thought the juice was expired. The food was absolutely tasteless: "Schnitzel" solid as a rock, fish which tasted like it was three days old and reheated and overcooked vegetables. It was terrible ( and I am not overly picky) Especially considering this should have been a special occasion and the price being paid, it just sucked. The unprofessional service rounded off the experience. The waiters were not even able to carry a plate on one hand. Sorry, but can't recommend this rundown hotel to anyone. Just can wonder about how bad the rooms are considering the bad facilities and service.

• Stayed: June 2013
3  Thank Bernadetha29
Reviewed September 11, 2012 via mobile

Yes, this might have been once (probably long time ago) a fancy, sophisticated resort-like hotel, with large conference/event infrastructure, but now it's only a severely worn-off wanna be 4* hotel (don't ask me how they got them!).

At least other places try to impress with something (cleanliness / service / extras / SOMETHING !!), but at VdV Gladbeck I felt like nobody cares too much if you want to come back (ever).
Me, definitely not! I still can't take out of my mind the chewing-gum sticked to bathroom floor probably since ages, the bar door locked without comment for the three days I was unfortunate to spend there and last - but not least - the answer leaving no place for further comments I received when asking for fitness room access: "It's closed (n.b. it was about 9:00 pm) and will not open before 9:30 am".
Oh. And make sure you don't forget your ear plugs to keep you away from the sweet sound of the heavy trains passing by 24x7 on the tracks just across the street from the hotel.

All in one, a sad story which I am not looking forward to repeat.

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed May 1, 2012

I have stayed in this hotel for 4 days (3 nights) breakfast included for 2 persons. The price was under €100.00 which is a very good price! (Special offer).

A nice hotel next to the high-way but in our room you could not hear any noise from that at all!
Room was specious and the quality of the bed was ok, bathroom nice with shower and a bath. Shower was a little to small but not a big deal, on the wall it was a little bit dirty. Also with TV (channels from NL-EN-DU-US). The only thing what I have missed is a minibar.

All staff at frontoffice were really/friendly/helpfull with us but the people from breakfast need a smiling-cours ;). You can choose between pleanty of things at breakfast.

The location is very good to go to Moviepark for example. We did not went, but we went to the indoor-skiing at Bottrop which is really nice to go. Go also to CentO to do some shopping! It is really nice shoppingmall.

Further about the neighboorhood, it was on a industry district so no restaurants. We went everywhere with car and it was ok for us. Nice restaurants for not a lot of money (around €35 for 2 people).

If I want to go skien again, I defenately take this hotel!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed April 14, 2012

We decided to have a visit to Warner Bros with the Grandchildren and so we Reserved the Ban der Valk Hotel, for two night,it is a top class building with excellent very clean rooms and good food but it was spoiled by very bad service in the unsupervised restaurant, the second morning for breakfast we sat down and asked the waitress for a Pot of coffee, she advised us to go to the counter to get it, I went to the conter to be told to sit down it would be brought to the table, faulty towers at it best !!!

Room Tip: Avoid the restaurant.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family