“The best lunch!”

Description: R
CHicago
“The best lunch!”
Reviewed July 3, 2012

We've been eating exclusively at TA's recommended restaurants during our extended stay in Taormina. This lovely tavern rivaled all the others! We caught the bus to Castemola and this restaurant is pretty much at the end of the road. As the menu photos at the entry appeared sumptuous, and we didn't want to walk back, we tried it.

So glad we did!

The food appeared exactly as depicted on the photos. We had a front row seat of Mt. Etna on a clear day. The waiter spoke English well and tolerated our poor Italian graciously. The ambiance was relaxed with soft music in the background.

Our fare: we shared the mixed seafood appetizer and I had the spaghetti with mixed seafood. My wife had the swordfish.That, mixed with 66cl of Messina, made for a perfect and leisurely lunch.

To be honest, my expectations were not high but my final impression certainly was. On a hot afternoon, I was hesitant to take on Castelmola but I am so glad we did.

• Visited July 2012

• Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Sarteano, Italy
“The Taverna with a View”
Reviewed June 22, 2012

Castemola, a medieval small town perched high on a rock next to Taormina, offered an number of restaurants and we chose La Taverna dell'Etna becaue of its amazing view over the bay of Giardini Naxos and more importantly, of fuming Mount Etna. This is not to say that other restaurants in the small place do not have as equally attractive view but as we did not eat in any other one, I cannot make a comment. We arrived quite early for an evening meal just in time to be offered a table on the tiny terrace with the possibility of having the best possible view!
I am always wary of menus that have photos of the various choices, as did this restaurant. I cannot say the food was not well cooked or that the service was in any way to be criticised, but there was just not that something special that makes you say: wow that was absolutely delicious or, what impressive service we received. Both food and service were good and the presentation of the food very good but the view....WOW! Thus it scores four out of 5 from me primarily due to the view.

• Visited June 2012
Peterborough, Ontario
“Very nice meal”
Reviewed June 21, 2012

We enjoyed the location of this eatery and the variety of dishes. Very good seafood pasta and generous servings. Great view!

Visited May 2012
1 Thank Jaymars1
North Carolina
“Yummy food and fabulous view!”
Reviewed June 15, 2012

Upon a recommendation, we had lunch here while visiting Castelmola. It did not disappoint. Being a pizza lover, I had to choose from many selections. I chose the Marguerita and one of our tablemates chose another with spicy pepperoni. My hubby ordered pasta with clams. All four of us enjoyed the house wine. I had white, the others preferred red. I also ordered a tomato salad, which was so perfect... sweet and tasty. We were seated on the terrace and the view of Mt. Etna was awesome. Service was pleasant and prompt. I give this a big thumbs up!

• Visited June 2012
Malta
“Fantastic views and pleasant environment”
Reviewed June 15, 2012

We had dinner at this place so we could not enjoy the view of the etna so its best to go for lunch as the view of Mt Etna is amazing

The food was very good, service average

Worth a try