“Eco-friendly lodge in a great area”
Review of Explore Gorongosa

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Gorongosa National Park
Explore Gorongosa
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Eco-friendly lodge in a great area”
Reviewed December 12, 2011

I stayed at Explore Gorongosa for 3 nights and was really impressed at the sheer beauty of the area and at how eco-friendly the camp is. These guys really understand that to have a great bush experience does not mean gold taps and huge cement buildings. Not only did I have a great time but I was always aware that my holiday had a very low environmental footprint. That made me feel good. Don't get me wrong - I had all the creature comforts to make me feel pampered and special - but everything was low key and 'off the grid'. The birding in the area was superb and game drives productive. It also felt good knowing that this is one of Africa's good-news stories - an area previously poached and now making a strong comeback. Overall this holiday made me feel good about myself.

Room Tip: All the tents are private - but pick the ones furthest from anybody else!
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank SimonEspley

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Annapolis, MD
Reviewed October 17, 2011

We agree with all of the other excellent reviews. Visiting Gorongosa is a special experience because of its history. But it is more---you are truly out there in the wild, with no electricity, and in a gorgeous bush setting. You see wildlife that you don't see elsewhere (sable), incredible birds (we became bird nerds), huge crocs, cool lions , tons more, and the possibility of more. Ticking a big 5 box is sooooo boring. Go to Gorongosa instead. Watch Africa's Lost Eden (a Nat Geo film) first. It will enrich your stay. And don't worry about comfort (food, bugs, etc). It is plenty comfortable, but not in a lame, shishi way. DO THE SKYBEDS and definitely visit the gigantic waterfalls at Mt Gorongosa.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Maputo, Mozambique
Reviewed October 4, 2011

This trip was a surprise Birthday Present for my husband. My husband loves the African Bush and was getting bored of the tar roads of Southern Kruger Park. I am more of a city girl and I am not that much into Camping, so I was not sure what to expect. I loved it! I already want to go back. The luxury tents were so comfortable and we slept so well at night. This place is really in the middle of nowhere. It is so beautiful and remote at Explore Gorongosa. On the first night we saw 5 loins and watched them until dark. The sight of the lions with the flood plains in the background was superb. It´s hard to describe the beauty of the place. The camp was wonderful, with the dinner around the communal table. The company was excellent and all the other guests were great to chat to. Rob, Jeff and Neil looked after us very well, and spoilt us rotten! The Irish win at the Rubgy over the weekend was an added bonus! Highly Recommended.

Stephanie, Rob and Francesca Walker, Maputo, Mozambqiue

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank StephanieWalker
Oxford, UK
Reviewed June 5, 2011

My husband was worried because I had ached to come here ever since hearing Rob give a talk the year before, and he was sure I would feel let down. But from the moment we entered the camp we both knew all was more than well.

The camp itself is impeccably run, the smiling staff are thoughtful, quiet and always looking out for what they can do to help. Our tent was comfortable and full of local touches. We loved our outdoor bathroom, and the way the staff would call out softly, "Knock, knock" as they brought our hot water. We were always escorted to and fro in the dark, as the camp is truly in the wild.

The safari drives and walks were amazing. I know that all the guides would be excellent, but we found Andy a friendly, thoughtful, sharp-eyed and immensely knowledgeable leader. We loved every moment with him, even when he made us carefully exit from a potentially close encounter with a hippo. The morning we arrived he had tracked a lion from the camp, and the next day we came across it, replete from what looked like a very big dinner.

We had been especially interested in the walks, you see, smell and hear so much at walking pace. But the drives were excellent too, both day and night. We didn't tick off loads of species, but that's not what we had come for.

A different day was when we visited the park headquarters and had an interesting talk there, then we were lucky enough to be shown the nearby village, just outside the park, by Joseph, one of the smiling staff at the camp, who lived there. He even invited us to his house, and we met his wife and children, very special.

The evening were special too, we often had our sundowners out in the bush - incredible. Then, later, after our shower, we would gather round the fire for drinks and conversation before convivial evenings round the dinner table, this could have been a nightmare, but it was great and the food was well above expectation, always freshly prepared.

I hope it is obvious that this holiday suited us down to the ground!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Dale0042
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed March 27, 2011

Staying at Gorongosa for even a short period of time gives you the sense of being connected to the bigger picture, the greater sense of time, the reality of nature, the ravages of past destruction of life, the restoration of animals, the welcoming vision of the hosts, the passion of the people, the beauty of africa, dawn and sunset, the hunt for prey, far from the commercialized reserves or the lap of luxury - ex-colonial or otherwise, though you're not exactly roughing it either! We were lucky enough to be there as the only guests and instantly connected with Rob and Jos (hosts), two incredibly warm, passionate and dedicated individuals. The tented camp is fully equipped, the meals are great, the gin and tonic at sunset after a game drive and stalking the teenage lions is not possible to describe. While this might not be the place to go if you want the traditional safari or are intent on seeing the big 5, it will bring you closer to the real African plains than western tourists usually have the opportunity to do. Would love to go back in a few years and see how the animal restoration has progressed. There were however already plenty to entertain us and keep us on our toes from driving to walking safaris.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank DavidL3
Cape Town Central, South Africa
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,161 helpful votes
Reviewed December 5, 2010

I stayed here for 3 nights before flying to the Indigo Bay Lodge on the Bazuroto Archipelago which Gorongosa arranged for me. I then came back and stayed another two nights before travelling to Ilha do Mozambique.

Jos and Rob are the perfect hosts. You will come as a guest and leave as a friend. Rob is a pasionate and excellent guide who will make even the photosynthesis of plants and how they propagate their seeds interesting. The food is excellent and healthy.

Accomodation is in spacious and comfy tents. Although there is no water or electricity, they do have comfortable and clean toilets, and you can have as many showers as you want from your safari shower (staff bring a bucket of water and fill the bladder which you then let run out over your head). They have solar lights so you can read at night if you have the energy. There is no WIFI but you can go to Chitengo Camp and use the pool and WIFI there.

I loved my trip to the waterfall so I would recommend a visit there.

This is a unique opportunity to have lions literally brush the side of your tent as you sleep and see a game park being rejuvenated. It's not where you will see the most prolific wildlife, but you will leran about a lot of the smaller wildlife and the plant and birdlife that supports it that other parks won't cover. The hosts are lovely people and you will truly enjoy your vacation.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
4 Thank poleinahole1
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed October 27, 2010

There are some places so special you are almost tempted to keep them a secret - Explore Gorongosa is just such a place. However to do that would deprive others of a truly amazing experience. Having waited a long time to visit Gorongosa NP, I have to say that the wait was worth it & our time at EG exceeded all expectations.

The camp is top notch & truly Eco-conscious; the staff extremely hard working; the tents very comfortable, as are the heavenly beds,pillows & cosy duvets. The food was delicious & being vegetarian is most definitely not an issue with the varied menu including the most yummy cakes. Rob & Jos are amazing hosts (just ask Jos about her wonderful hot totties!) who are passionate, dedicated & knowledgeable. They ensure nothing about your stay is over looked.

My friend & I stayed in the "Lion Tent", where losing sleep was well worth the experience of having nightly visits from a male Lion, who brushed up against the tent as he walked by during the late night/early hours of the morning.

There is so much amazing wildlife & diversity in the park you won't be disappointed if you go with an open mind, as with most safari's you never know what special things mother nature will show you. Some of our highlights included encountering the first new Lion to the park, one that had never seen people before; a large group of male Impala's bonding & "burping"; teaching a Palm Thrush to whistle a new tune; being followed by a Honey Glider on a bush walk & being charged by Elephants after following a Lioness with 3 legs & young male Lion, who would reunite with his older brother later that same evening. Just when we thought the day couldn't get any better, nature provided us with a few more gifts. Our evening meal was topped off by some Lions walking through camp including one of the famous & stunningly beautiful Egyptian ladies who we then followed, only to find her being pursued by 3 large porcupines.

The best way to sum up how much we loved the camp, is to say that we decided to extended our visit by 2 extra nights.

I hope to return one day to see how this wonderful park is progressing & recommend to others considering a trip, to go now. I can't think of any better place in Africa to witness the re-birth of the wild, other than Explore Gorongosa.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
Ulala Lodge
Ulala Lodge
#1 of 2 in Murrebue
Montebelo Gorongosa Lodge & Safari
Montebelo Gorongosa Lodge & Safa...
#1 of 2 in Gorongosa National Park
Anantara Bazaruto Island Resort
Anantara Bazaruto Island Resort
#1 of 2 in Bazaruto Island
Anantara Medjumbe Island Resort
Anantara Medjumbe Island Resort
#1 of 2 in Quirimbas Archipelago

Been to Explore Gorongosa? Share your experiences!