We spent the first week of our (adult) family vacation on Utila, another smaller Bay Island. We were miserable. Don't go there unless your primary interest is diving, in which case you will enjoy it. Or if you love sand fleas, it's paradise. We then did some research and picked what seemed to be the most expensive hotel on Roatan. For $465 a night we got a third floor luxury condo with three bedrooms, three baths, four balconies with views of the ocean and and beautiful pool. Our condo had a full kitchen (with dishes, cutlery, but only one sharp knife; if you plan to cook, bring your own.) granite tops. The entire unit had marble floors. Full dining room and living room with cable/flat screen-type tv. We were ecstatic when we saw the swim-up bar. Even though we rarely used it, it was comforting to have it nearby.
The location on the beach was perfect, at the end adjacent to a protected area which made for great snorkeling. We'd snorkeled on Utila but were plagued with sea lice, invisibile creatures which sting like mini jellyfish. Only had some insignificant experiences here. The snorkeling was great, beach beautiful and uncrowded. Only saw one sunbather who forgot to read the memo on no nude sunbathing. Had no incidents with cruise ships and were told by the staff that they were forbidden from using the chairs at the hotel. There were always plenty of chairs available.
The second phase of the resort is still under construction but we felt well insulated from the work and it didn't bother us at all. The "spa" part of Infinity Bay Resort and Spa is in the second phase along with a four-star restaurant and is supposed to be completed by next year.
There is no restaurant other than food served at tables on the beach or room service. $20 for a two pound lobster tail is a bargain, however, and we didn't mind. We lucked into The Vintage Pearl restaurant which is walking distance down the beach. My 33-year old son agreed with another reviewer that he had the best steak he'd ever eaten. (It came from the US.) $250 for five adults included one bottle of wine, one drink and two beers. The service was excellent, atmosphere was island perfection. We loved it. Amazingly on Saturday night at 7 PM there were only four tables being served. We were seated immediately and had wonderful service.
We took a taxi to Coxen Hole to grocery shop. It's about a 20 minute drive each way and the driver waited while we shopped for about half an hour. We'd negotiated a $15 trip but gave him $20 for the wait. Well worth the trip. Bought wonderful Chilean wine for about $10 a bottle that beat the heck out of the (also Chilean) wine we'd been charged $20 a bottle for on Utila.
Definitely take the water taxi to see West End. There's nothing you can buy there that you can't find at World Market, but it's a throwback, very third worldish but charming. I don't think anybody goes to Roatan for the shopping.
Only downside to Infinity Bay: internet was sporadic, and if my kids hadn't been there to put it right every day I would have given up on it. We lost water 2-3 times including for two hours before our departure. We were on the third floor, and my husband is somewhat handicapped so that when the elevator went out, which happened 2-3 times, he was stuck in the room or at the pool. The hotel made an adjustment on our bill for the inconveniences. The staff couldn't have been friendlier or more cooperative.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Location: West Bay Beach, Roatan, Bay Islands, Honduras, Central America (15 minutes from airport). Accommodations: Condo, 2 Bedrooms + Convertible bed(s), 2 Baths (Sleeps 4-6)Keywords: Luxurious Condo Resort 2BR/2BA at Infinity Bay Roatan. Planning a vacation now to leave in the fall? Location Location Location. The most beautiful upscale resort which is called Infinity Bay Resort located at West Bay Beach, which is one of the top beaches in Roatan, Honduras and of the Caribbean. The reef is only yards away, which is the second largest coral reef in the world. Swim with the turtles and an abundance of marine life, go diving and discover more, or use our complimentary kayaks. Local activities, include scuba diving, sailing, fishing, canopy tours, horseback riding, and much more. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, Travelocity, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, Agoda, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your Infinity Bay Spa and Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Infinity Bay Spa And Beach Hotel West Bay
- Infinity Bay Hotel And Beach
- Infinity Bay Resort And Beach
- Infinity Bay Spa And Beach Resort Roatan, Bay Islands, Honduras