“Great Place, But be Careful with Excursions”

Infinity Bay Spa and Beach Resort
Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in West Bay
Reviewed September 11, 2012

The room we stayed in was everything the photos showed. Very spacious, very upscale, at least per my standards. Pool is huge and wonderful and the grounds were very nice, located right on the beach.

Construction on the new spa and reception area is still ongoing as of early September 2012, despite claims on the website that it would be done by mid-2012. However, I wasn't planning on using the spa and the construction did not disrupt my stay in any way.

Food is good; a little pricey, perhaps, but that's probably to be expected.

The only caution I have is to beware of some of the excursions they offer. The prices they give are generally higher than those offered on the beach by locals or even by adjacent competing resorts. We did do the parasailing through Infinity Bay, and while it was enjoyable, Infinity Bay did not meet the specifications it describes. Our primary beef was that it said that trips are 1 hour and are limited to 6 people. On our boat, they allowed 8 people. While we fit fine, they did not extend the trip beyond an hour to make up for the time difference for each pair in the air, so essentially we were shorted our time - we only got about 5 minutes in the air.

Other than the parasailing issue, we had a great time. We would definitely recommend it and come back, though we would probably think twice about participating in events offered through the resort.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank SkyKing23
Rick2959, General Manager at Infinity Bay Spa and Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 13, 2012

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience. The entire staff is proud that you had a great vacation at Infinity Bay and we look forward to your return as you are now part of the family.
I’m sorry you had a problem with an activity but I can assure you that this incredibly rare. If anyone at the resort would have known of your dissatisfaction with the parasail you would have received a 100% refund. Next time you come back please accept an excursion on us!
Thanks again!

Rick Kolinsky

There are newer reviews for Infinity Bay Spa and Beach Resort

Reviewed September 9, 2012

We did not stay at this hotel so we did not see the accommodations. Rather, we spent the day at the resort relaxing by the pool side bar and swimming on the private beach. From what I saw of the local area, the Infinity is a stand-out resort. The pool area is very nicely maintained and guests can relax in their in comfort and style, or alternatively, there is a nice private beach right at the front of the Hotel. The beach/pool side bar is a great place to unwind with drinks and snacks - the view out on to the beach and seafront is very tranquil. Access to the resort facilities is well controlled by resort security staff. As we enjoyed our visit to the Resort very much - we would have been happy to have been able to spend more time there. A few days would have been lovely and relaxing.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank ivan i
Reviewed September 5, 2012

Great vacation with the boys , we stayed at the three bedroom villa, great view from the balcony the boys smoking shisha and drinking hot tea looking at the water. People over in Roatan are nice and hospitable. the elevator wasn't working though and we were on the top floor, when we asked the front desk about fixing it twice and it didn't get fixed we know it will never be fixed.
The scuba diving was absolutely awesome can't wait to do do that again.

Room Tip: spend the xtra bucks and get the ocean front villa its worth it just for the seen from the balcony
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank iJericho
Reviewed September 3, 2012

I found out about Roatan randomly. It isn't as well-known as some of the vacation spots nearby--Costa Rica, DR, the Virgin Islands, etc. However, it is seriously SUCH an untapped treasure and Infinity Bay is probably the best place you could stay on the island--I am so happy that we found this place (thanks to Googling "good vacation spots for August" and Groupon for having the Infinity Bay deal) and I would love to go back one day and do it all again. We were there for 8 days, but could've happily stayed a month. Here's a breakdown of the trip...

The Resort Itself: B+
While Infinity Bay has some tiny kinks that it needs to work out before it can be considered 5 star (ie. we had to wait an hour to check-in, little amenities like toothbrushes and razors are not provided, wireless internet is patchy, water pressure in the shower is medium at best, the lock on our sliding door stayed broken even after we mentioned the door handle was falling off twice to the front desk) it also is run more like an intimate and private living experience as opposed to an impersonal chain hotel.

The staff was always super friendly and helpful, particularly at the reception desk. The room was thoroughly cleaned every day; we stayed in a 1-bedroom villa and found the accommodations very spacious and comfortable (full kitchen, comfortably furnished living room, lovely wooden carved furniture, ceiling fans as well as powerful AC, balcony with a decent view even though we were in building 18). The entire grounds are not too huge either, so even if you are in the furthest back building it literally will take you 3 minutes to get to the beach and the whole time you're walking through IB's lovely lawns and pool area, so it's seriously not a problem.

The Restaurant: A
La Palapa is the hotel restaurant and bar. It’s situated right between the infinity pool and the beach. Yes sometimes the service could be sort of slow, but to be honest, when you’re sitting next to the ocean with a light breeze, eating great food, and having well-priced cocktails you are NOT going to be in a rush. Something I read in someone else’s review was that you have to go in being prepared that Roatan in general runs on island, laid-back time, so don’t feel the need to rush things, just go with the flow. I think this was very helpful for me personally since I’m typically such a go-go-go type person. Anyways, overall I really liked the food at the restaurant and the vibe was always super friendly and cool.

If by chance you want a different taste however, there’s a sandwich shop down the road that’s like Subway called the Hungry Monkey, food at the nearby hotel/bars like Bananarama and Mayan Princess, and restaurants in West End or at other places on the island that could take a cab to.

Excursions: A++
When I was planning this vacation with my boyfriend I said I wanted waterfalls, ziplining, dolphins, and warm ocean with blue skies. Well 3 out of 4 aint bad. If you want waterfalls, go to Hawaii, if you want everything else, come here. (Also, we weren’t certified, but from what we heard from other people, diving in Roatan is pretty awesome.)

Doing all the cool things we did on the island would seriously not have been possible without Avi D’Souza, the hotel activities director. This guy knew what was going on at all times and was everywhere all at once—he knew what days would be good for certain activities, which places were best to book them with, what time shuttles would be coming and if they would be a little late, and who wanted to do what. I really don’t know how he could possibly keep track of everyone at the hotel, but I feel like he really knew every group well and took the time to be out at the restaurant every day getting to know the guests and their needs. You can also start planning your excursions with him before you get to Roatan through email (posted on Infinity Bay’s website), and he’ll be super prompt about writing back as well.

Anyways, he set us up with the dolphin encounter and snorkel at Anthony’s Key. (An IB shuttle driver will take you there AND bring you back for no extra charge—although I have to say, please tip these guys. They’re so nice and so reliable, have some lempira on you so you can show your appreciation for them.) Best experience we had on the island. The encounter is cute, but the snorkel is AWESOME, and we lucked out so it was just my bf and I in there with about 20 dolphins including two newborns swimming about. SUCH an incredible time.

Avi also suggested ziplining at South Shore. While Gumbalimba Park has more animals and is better suited for families, South Shore has some animals as well and allows you to do cool tricks on your zipline. We didn’t do Gumbalimba, so I can’t say anything more about it, but the guys at South Shore were fun, it was safe, and we had some awesome views of the ocean while doing some decently high-speed and very high-up lines. Also, it’s all cable, no ropes, so don’t worry about that.

Finally, we did the half day sail which luckily did end up going out because the charters depend on having enough people as well as good wind for the day. Avi kept us updated on whether or not it would happen, and was able to schedule us in the day he found out that it was in fact taking place. We went on a large catamaran called the Stray Cat. It had an open bar, lunch and fruit skewers, a fun crew, made 2 snorkel stops out from the coast, lasted about 4 hours, and overall we were SO glad we did it.

Again, I have to mention that we wouldn’t have been able to do all the great stuff we did without Avi making all of our reservations with the outside vendors, planning shuttles, and giving us all the 411 on the details of the excursions. We can’t thank him enough for all the ways in which he made our trip so fantastic!

The Beach: A++++
This is IB’s selling point. Not only do they have an awesome, warm infinity pool that looks out at the ocean, but they are right on the beach, and the BEST part of the beach. My boyfriend and I took walks down the West Bay coast every day or night and the sand by IB is the cleanest and softest by far, the water the clearest, and accessibility to the reef is AWESOME. Infinity Bay provides towels and lounge chairs and even rents out snorkel gear, so you could literally be on that beach all day long and not get bored. There’s awesome reef only 5 minutes out (swimming) and there is SO much to see—all kinds of fish, all kinds of coral (including some awesome brain coral), sea turtles if you’re lucky and go to the right spots, and all kinds of plant life. The water is crystal clear and it’s just so much fun to be in that ocean every day.

Local Culture: B
The only reason this isn’t an A is because you have to take the water taxi or a cab to get somewhere to do non-beach stuff. Luckily our Groupon covered water taxi rides for the whole week we were there, but it does stop running at 9:30pm so the nights that we partied in West End were usually $20 cab rides back to the hotel.

West End has the cool bars and some good places to eat. Protip: Get the Ravioli Aragosta (lobster ravioli) at Splash Inn and your tastebuds and tummy will thank you for the REST OF YOUR LIFE. I’m not exaggerating. Seriously. Great price too.

For souvenirs for family and friends we went up to Coxen Hole (the store was called Yaba Ding Ding) and the little shop down the street from Infinity Bay—I think it’s called Penny’s? If you’re looking for some pretty, cheap, hand-crafted bracelets or scarves sold on the side of the road like in India, however, you probably won’t find ‘em in Roatan. The only people who buy that stuff is tourists so they know they can charge you an arm and a leg, thus buyer beware. Just take your family home some sand in a bottle or a picture of you enjoying yourself.

The People: A+
I’m putting this separate from culture because it really deserves its own grade. Everyone we met—be they hotel staff, islanders, ex-pats who now live on the island, shuttle drivers, waiters, or other tourists out in West End—were great. Luckily Avi introduced us to some people on the island as well, but honestly everyone has this sense of camaraderie in Roatan. It isn’t a big place, so a lot of people know each other, the vibe all over the island is chill and laid back, and people just have a good time.

The Weather/Bugs: A
Sun, humid, hot. Go in the ocean or pool and have a drink, you’re all good. We were there from August 16th-23rd and had not one day of rain or t-storms like Accuweather thought we would. Sun went down at about 6:30 every day. Every night however we got to watch this awesome light show, lightening over Belize or somewhere on the mainland off in the distance, but never had to hear thunder.

Also, here are FOUR THINGS THAT WILL SAVE YOU: 1. Sunblock that’s at least SPF 50 (my boyfriend is half English so he basically burns under very bright lamps, had him block 2 or 3 times a day and he didn’t burn once while we were in Roatan) 2. Separate sunblock for your face (put it in on once or twice a day as well) 3. Insect repellant that’s at least 40% deet (you can get this at a sporting goods store like REI) and 4. Anti-itch cream for the sandflies that’ll get you at night. Put this on immediately and DON’T scratch, and your little welts should be gone by the next day.

Well that’s everything. Hope this helped, hope you go to Roatan, and hope you have as wonderful of a time as we did!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
22  Thank Raina V
Reviewed September 3, 2012

This will be a bit different review for this resort as I was here for a week on business for a small conference. What a great staff, hotel, and location! If you are looking for an unusual and economical place to have a small conference (50-70 people), this is a perfect location. Ricardo, Mark, and the entire staff went out of their way for us to have a fabulous event. Even though the main "resort" facility (spa, restaurant, etc) is still under construction, the conference room was perfect for what we needed. We had great electric and internet hook up (for Roatan!) and were able to bring all of our systems and applications up for the conference.

My room "condo" was huge and pristine. It had a full kitchen, coffeemaker (coffee packs delivered every day), refrigerator, and washer/dryer. I made a run to the "Hiper Mega" Western style grocery store on the north side of the island, and got everything I needed for the week at a very good rate. Electricity and hot water were always available. The tap water is fine to drink, so do not waste your money on bottled water. I drank the tap water all week as well as made my coffee and iced tea with it - no "funny" taste at all. The cleaning lady did all of the "cool" special touches for me. She was very nice and helpful. I did have a strange "beeping" coming from the electrical closet one night. I called the front desk and repairman was there in five minutes. He fixed the problem right away. Before I left I saw reports on this site that said that repairs were a problem, but I did not have any. The TV worked great - premium channels.

The food was great. We ate outside at the "Tiki Bar" type restaurant. The resort set up buffet style lines for us, so getting the food was fast. We got our drinks promptly. If you are just ordering off the menu, my favorite was the Honduran "typical" breakfast - delicious! The waiters took the time to get to know us - Terry and Jorges were the best! When it was not too busy, they were so nice to talk with and find out about the island. The resort also set up a last night final dinner for us complete with a local dancing/music group. It was very special and helped to cement some of the new partnerships we developed at the conference.

You know you have had a great business vacation when you want to bring your family back. I snorkeled the reef every morning before work. I've been to some of the best reefs in the world, and I can tell you that this reef at the beachfront is as good as any I have ever been to. It was not difficult at all. One morning after a heavy rain, quite a few jellyfish got churned up. I had no problem as I brought a dive skin, but those that didn't got some stings. Otherwise, jellyfish were not a problem any other day. Do be mindful once in the water, though. I saw two stone fish and one lionfish. There are also stingrays. None of this is unusual for a healthy reef like this. Watch what you step on or snorkel over, and you will be fine. This is overall a safe reef and very accessible for beginners. If you are not familiar with reef snorkeling, the resort's dive shop, Infinity Divers, looked very competent with their beginner snorkeling and diving sessions. They can show you what to do.

I'd absolutely go again and hope to take my husband back sometime for a romantic get away. I think this place would also be great for a destination wedding.

One note - bring insect repellant! The sand fleas are everywhere on the beach to include at the restaurant. They will not bother you as long as you have repellant on, but I made the mistake of going without it one night. I have about 15 bites that are taking forever to go away. This is not unique to this hotel, but you will have this problem everywhere in Roatan.
Note two - the spa is not built yet. They are working on the main "check in" building. If you want a spa experience, I went to Serenity Spa across the street from the resort. They were excellent!

Room Tip: I stayed in room 504. It could not have been more perfect.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank Luv2Travel_DoU
Reviewed September 1, 2012

Infinity Bay is absolutely beautiful. I was blessed to have two glorious weeks to spend at the resort. The one bedroom villa is almost as big as my house. The villa is well appointed. The kitchen is beautiful. Mahogany cupboards, granite counters, stainless steel appliances and a bar-height peninsula. Since I'm renovating at home I took lots of pictures because it is exactly what I want for my own kitchen. The bedroom is large. King - sized bed and incredibly comfortable mattress. The linens were clean and fresh and the coverlet a beautiful embossed white. There was plenty of room.

Service was phenomenal. The villa was cleaned daily. After a few days the cleaning staffed realized that I was in and out in my dive booties and left me a little mat so that I could leave them at the door to dry. They also restocked my supply of shampoo, conditioner and lotion to keep up with my time in the water. The toiletries are lovely. A light, refreshing, natural scent and as a person with strong sensitivities to chemical scents, it was a welcome to have things that I could use with out causing a migraine.
The towels were soft and fluffy with a clean fresh scent - no dryer sheet overwhelming scent to battle.

I spent most of my time with Infinity Bay Divers. What Incredible service. Guja managed to create a schedule for me so that I could complete my Open Water certification, Advanced Open Water and seven different specialities. Arturo is an amazing instructor. Incredibly patient, encouraging, and knowledgeable. I had the opportunity of being on the boat with other instructors as well. Adam, Lindey, and Ricardo were always professional, friendly and helpful. The crew were amazing: Helpful, friendly, engaging, organized and efficient. The diving was absolutely phenomenal. Arturo always took the time to point out features and creatures of the reef. Our dive briefings were thorough and interesting. My favourite dives were night dives and the wreck dives. There are not enough adverbs and adjectives to describe how spectacular night dives are, from the unfurling of the lacy basket star fish to the colour-shifting ooze of the octopus caught in our dive lights.

When I wasn't diving, I was either in the classroom or studying on my terrace, often listening to the live music that was provided at the palapa. I did make it to the beach a few times. It is gorgeous. Clean, white sand and turquoise blue water lapping softly at its edge.

I can't wait to go back.

Just another note: I had the opportunity of being at Infinity during Tropical Storm Ernesto. The Management and staff were so organized and willing to deal with any possible ramifications from the storm. Everyone received a letter from Management in regards to meal reorganization due to the storm as well as reassurance of what was in place for the safety of the clientele. Amazing.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank Val B
Reviewed August 30, 2012

This was a great vacation for our family. We booked a two bedroom villa (apartment) with a beach view. The view was somewhat blocked due to positioning of palm trees but I am not complaining. Some issues with our villa, all minor. The hotel staff were very accomadating if under some pressure due to staff shortages perhaps. Construction taking place on main lobby and upper building but it did not cause a major impact for us. All dining was at the beach bar. Very nice food, if a little slow at times. Bar service generally pretty good. Don't know if this has been adressed yet but while we were there the staff were in very unsuitable clothing for the climate. We have stayed in a resort on one of the other islands and the staff wore khakis and polos. Good idea when the color of polo reflects their "department;" housekeeping, gardening wait staff etc. Terrific location for access to scuba diving, snorkelling both which can be done off the beach. Also on site is a wonderful dive shop, Infinity Divers. (see seperate review). Very affordable access via water taxi to other restaurants and locations down the beach. Roatan is a relitavely underdevloped island so don't expect too much in the way of shopping etc. All in all a lovely experience made even better by staff who went out of their way to be helpful. I can only hope their pay is appropriate to their excellent work. The main restaurant, spa and fitness I believe will be open by Christmas. I just called to try and book a three bedroom for the holidays and they are full :( But we are definietly making another trip.

Room Tip: Ask for second or third floor villas close to beach but not directly beside beach bar if possible.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Paradise Beach Hotel
Paradise Beach Hotel
#4 of 14 in West Bay
Bananarama Beach and Dive Resort

Been to Infinity Bay Spa and Beach Resort? Share your experiences!