“Yep, it's as good as they say”

West Bay Lodge and Spa
Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in West Bay
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Shelby Township, Michigan
“Yep, it's as good as they say”
Reviewed May 30, 2014

After reading countless positive reviews on West Bay Lodge, my husband and I decided to stay here. Folks aren't kidding...the owners Celeste and Milos and the rest of the staff are extremely accommodating. They didn't have any decaf coffee (I can't handle caffeine), so Milos went into town to buy me some. There are mango trees on the property and if you ask nicely, they'll pluck one and cut and serve it for you (thanks Danny!). Wonderful, friendly staff here. We stayed May 24-28 in queen bungalow #2. I absolutely LOVED how tropical and private the property is. I loved how we didn't share walls with other guests. We loved swiming in the hammock every day (so much, in fact, that we purchased one from them). What a romantic, private, lovely place to stay. The breakfasts are included and are WONDERFUL -- especially the banana pancakes. Had the shrimp fajitas for dinner one evening, and that was excellent too. Quick walk to the beach. Bungalow had everything we needed. Excellent value. We wouldn't hesitate to stay in West Bay Lodge if we return to Roatan. I simply don't have ONE negative thing to say about this place, no matter how much I'm trying. :)

1 Thank hucifer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
  • Slovak first
Suwanee, Georgia
Reviewed May 27, 2014

My husband and I just spent a fabulous week at West Bay Lodge. (May 17-24, 2014) We had a Queen Bungalow which provided a great little kitchenette, nice size bathroom and shower, queen bed and bedroom, and cute front porch with hammocks. Clean and everything you need, including a refrigerator with very reasonably priced beverages of your choice. The staff at West Bay are awesome! Friendly, happy to see you and making sure you have waht you need to make your stay enjoyable and confortable. Perfect location close to restaurants and the beach, but their restaurant is incredible as well. We are trying to find another week to return because we loved our stay, enjoyed the people, and can't wait to see the West Bay Lodge friendly staff again! Thank you for a wonderful vacation...

Room Tip: Bungalow #5 was great!
1 Thank Terese W
New York City, New York
Reviewed May 27, 2014

West bay lodge was a great choice for us. It had a great mix of quaint and quiet but the opportunity to socialize and be active if you wanted it! The pool and restaurant were great gathering spots, but it was nice that the bungalows are so private. It's also great for animal lovers... the parrots are fun to watch "chatter" throughout the day and the cats are . If you want nighttime activity, head less than a block to bananarama, which was fun, but its nice to be able to leave and head home to peace and quiet at West bay lodge. Milos and Celeste are great hosts, the snorkeling trip was so fun and they even made us a pineapple upside down cake!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Leesamehree
CALGARY
Reviewed May 19, 2014

my wife and I recently stayed at the west bay lodge from April 26th - May 6th. from the moment we arrived we were treated like family and the check in process was fast and painless. we stayed in bungalow #7 which had a great view of the pool and the surrounding neighborhood. it was well equipped and had a great layout. what truly makes this place a 5 star is the owners and staff. milos and Celeste are very warm and welcoming and made us feel like family. the property is very small and very quiet which made for a nice relaxing stay. my wife and I really enjoyed the variety of animals that call west bay lodge home. we miss them all and especially Cleo the parrot. we can't wait to book our next trip to Roatan as it was the best and most beautiful destination we have been. the snorkelling trip is a must. we had a blast. the beach is a short safe walk and is beautiful. if I had a complaint, I would say it was the wifi. we could not get a connection from our room so would have to go down to the pool area. this was not a big deal as the pool area is beautiful and relaxing. we did not use the spa, but I bought some coconut oil from the spa to help with my bug bites. it worked amazingly. I would like to thank all the staff at west bay lodge for making our stay a wonderful experience. Oyuki,Melony,Darson,Danny,Monica,Angel, and of course Celeste and Milos thank you for everything. we will see you in October.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 5star8
New York
Reviewed May 18, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I just came back from our one week stay in an adjoining Queen Bungalow at West Bay Lodge. The property is very charming. All the bungalows are nestled on a hill off a main road in West Bay. Our Queen bungalow had two Queen beds and all the amenities you could possibly need. It was clean and comfortable. We had daily maid service and our laundry was done for free upon request. All bungalows had really comfortable hammocks on their porches as well. There is also a nice pool to cool off which lounge chairs surrounding it. Serenity Day Spa is on the property and we both had aromatherapy massages which were heavenly. You get daily cooked breakfast included with your stay which was very tasty. Aside from breakfast, we ate dinner at the restaurant which was absolutely DELICIOUS! My husband had the sea bass & I had the shrimp. The location of West Bay Lodge couldn't be better. While not directly on West Bay Beach, you are only a 5 minute walk to West Bay
Beach which has many more restaurants and lodgings. The reason this place is so special is because of the staff. Milos, the owner, as well as Melony, Danny, Darson and all the other staff were such warm and friendly people and made us feel like this was our home away from home.

• Stayed May 2014
2 Thank rindiesel
Chicago, IL
Reviewed May 13, 2014

I will always hold warm memories of our stay at West Bay Lodge. It was everything we expected as described on TA, but beyond that, the intangibles were what made this place. The staff and owners are beyond welcoming. Milos and Celeste go out of their way to make a lasting impression and well convey their love for Roatan - the people and the beauty of the island and it's reef.

I just happened upon this place while researching places in Belize to dive, and realized we could fly directly from the mainland to Roatan. So much easier than taking puddle jumpers from a mainland airport. So, my meanderings on TA brought me to seek out a place on Roatan.

The reef is just off a beach that's a 5 minute walk from Lodge. We would tumble out of bed each morning and wander over to visit our reef buddies for an hour or so snorkel. It reminded me of reefs we saw 20-30 years ago. I hate to spill the secret! This place is truly unspoiled.

If you want incredible hospitality, incredible massages and spa services, incredible local food (we were served a private lobster dinner by candelight poolside), and incredible access to one of the world's best reefs, make a beeline to this place. It's the best value anywhere! We will be back!

1 Thank Wagsdvm
Pleasanton, California
Reviewed April 30, 2014

We stayed at West Bay Lodge in early April, based on other Trip Advisor reviews, and we can concur - this is more than a hotel, it's a new home...on a fun island...near a spectacular beach...associated with a really cool dive shop (Bananarama). Our rooms at the lodge were not 5 star Marriott rooms, but had everything we needed: #1 - A/C, #2 - stocked mini-bar with cold Salva Vida, #3 - plenty of space, and #4 - hammock on porch. The pool, which we enjoyed every evening, was a social gathering spot with Celeste and Milos (owners) regular attendees. There were stories about the day's activities, rum punch from the bar, and even guitars and singing. And the restaurant, where we enjoyed our included breakfast, and several lunches, was delightful, with highly entertaining parrots to accompany our delicious baleadas. When we come back to Roatan, we'll definitely stay at West Bay again. I hope it never loses its charm!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
#1 of 5 in French Harbour
Tranquilseas Eco Lodge and Dive Center
Infinity Bay Spa and Beach Resort
Bananarama Beach and Dive Resort

Been to West Bay Lodge and Spa? Share your experiences!