“Value Might be Questionable”

Henry Morgan Beach Resort
Ranked #10 of 14 Hotels in West Bay
Reviewed July 29, 2014

Having visited several dozen resorts and a couple dozen islands in the Caribbean, I have experienced highs and lows through my travels. Although Henry Morgan is no Ritz Carlton, I had a relatively pleasant stay, with one exception.

There was a little confusion at the airport regarding my transfer to the resort, but this was resolved, as the driver ultimately arrived. Upon arrival at the hotel, I was not greeted with a welcome drink or entertainment (more about that later), but I did check in, and was instructed as to where my room was located. There is no valet, but who cares. I'm more than capable.

The room is fairly basic, and had an odor emanating from the bathroom, which was likely sewage. I could have asked to change rooms, but thought that I'd see what happened after I ran the air conditioning and circulated the air. Within a day the smell dissipated. It would return every once in a while, but was nothing so foul that I really noticed, unless I was cognizant to do so.

Some have complained about the noise from the boardwalks that connect the various rooms and buildings. I am an extremely light sleeper, but was not bothered by any outside noises.

As others have mentioned, the meals in the restaurant are buffet style, and are somewhat limiting and repetitive, but I certainly didn't starve, and likely gained a couple of pounds. During lunch you have the option of dining in the main buffet or at the beach grill.

The staff was friendly and polite. No, they didn't go out of their way, as one would expect at a Sandals, but they certainly met any request I had.

WiFi is available in the lobby. I have an international calling and data plan on my phone, so can't really speak to the quality of the hotel's WiFi.

In terms of diving, which is why I wet to Roatan, the dive operator, TGI, was about the best I ever had. bottom times are 45-50 minutes, and they offer valet service. I never once touched my equipment, as they set up, dismantle, and store everything for you.

The clientele are mostly adults, with a few children here and there. Overall, it was a fairly calm and courteous group of people. The only one "yahoo" in the crowd was a Canadian that got up on stage during the beach dinner to dance and sing a few words into the entertainers microphone. He apparently was in the "it's all about me" frame of mind.

My only criticism would be with the large contract that Henry Morgan has with a Canadian tour operator. Once a week, the Canadians leave and a new bunch arrives. They hold a welcome reception for them, including cocktails and entertainment. The Canadians are provided with red wristbands to distinguish them from us common folk with yellow wristbands. Is there a noticeable difference in the service being afforded everyone? Absolutely! I wouldn't say that the non-Canadians are treated like third class citizens, but rather second class one's.

Upon arrival home, I priced a vacation package through the Canadian tour operator, only to learn that the Canadians are paying about 2/3 of what Americans are paying. For that single reason, I would not return to Henry Morgan. It's a shame, as I really enjoyed the resort, but there are other resorts in West Bay to explore in a few months when I return to the island.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
3  Thank CJ802
Fernando G, Marketing and Customer Relations at Henry Morgan Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2014

Good morning and thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at Henry Morgan Resort. Your comments are very important and help us take actions to improve our services.
I would like to point out that the Canadian group that you saw gets a different color bracelet basically for language purposes as some of our staff speaks French and this way we know in what language to address them. Other than that all our guests have the same All Inclusive package. The price they pay and the fact that they arrive at once helps coordinate something special as it does for all groups.
We welcome all our guests with a Cocktail drink and if that was not the case with you I really would like to apologize. If you change your mind and do come back to Henry Morgan feel free to write to me in advance and I´ll make that up for you bigtime! fgarcia@hmresorts.com
If you come back to another Resort please also stop by to say Hi and we´ll go out of our way to make it up as well.
You are a Top One class customer to us!

Reviewed July 8, 2014 via mobile

We booked this resort not knowing anything about the island or location. It was a great stay and very relaxing..the major draw backs were the total lack of communication from the staff. Ie: places to stay, things to do, services offered. The food is lacking as we'll and got old quick. This resort is great for families and is great when you want to walk out to the beach.

Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank Arktravlor
Fernando G, Marketing and Guest Relations at Henry Morgan Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2014

We really appreciate your feedback and we are glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We have staff available in a stand at our lobby and around the pool area that offer our guests various tours and activities that you can take, We are sorry if we didn't give you that info. We hope you can come back someday and experience these activities and the beautiful West Bay beach at Henry Morgan again.

Reviewed July 4, 2014

I just got back from a 7 day stay. Based on some of the comments, I almost canceled my reservation. I'm glad I didn't.

Atmosphere:
Henry Morgan is rustic, but in a charming way. It doesn't have the stuffiness of a hotel, but it's not "roughing it" like a cabin. It isn't very ADA accessible, so this may not be the place for you if you have mobility challenges.

There are family friendly entertainment and games in the afternoon and evenings. Most nights there is a DJ playing music until 11pm.

Guest rooms:
The rooms are clean. The beds are firm, which I LOVED. I had an issue with the light in my bathroom, but it was fixed within an hour of me calling it in. The guest rooms are not that far from the beach as someone else commented. It took me 5 minutes from my room to the beach walking at a vacation pace.

Staff:
The staff are wonderful and friendly. Most of them can speak multiple languages (Spanish, English, French, Italian). However, it doesn't hurt to know some basic Spanish.

Food and Drinks:
I thought the food was pretty good. It's not fine dining, but you won't starve. There are plenty of choices each meal. They are a little light on the green vegetables. The desserts are worth every calorie.

The drinks are strong, the wine is weak, but the sangria is sweet. Seriously, keep an eye on the bartender when they pour your drink. A rum and coke is rum with a splash of coke.

TGI Dive Center:
I did the Diving Open Water certification while I was there. Between the theory, pool skills, exams, and dives, the certification took up most of my mornings. If you are going to do the certification, I recommend staying longer. Especially if you want to get in some extra dives. The staff is wonderful. They are all patient and knowledgeable. I got a change to dive at 5 different sites.

Room Tip: Apparently some people have complaints about the noise. I stayed in the A1, which is a one story bu...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled solo
3  Thank Veronica D

Thanks for writing Veronica, it was a real pleasure having you at Henry Morgan and we hope you come back solo or with some friends next time. The staff enjoyed your company as well.
Until next time !

Reviewed June 29, 2014

Henry Morgan has a great pool and lounging area. The meals were very nice and the staff was very friendly and helpful with every question we had. The resort has great beach for sunning, swimming or snorkeling. This was not an upscale resort but very clean and with the staff going above and beyond it made for a great vacation.

Room Tip: Had trouble with A/C until we found out your room card has to be in the unit for it to work.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Tom4007

Mr Tom, thanks for your comments. We take pride in our staff and we're glad we were able to be helpful during your stay. We really hope to have you back soon

Reviewed June 12, 2014

Went to Honduras for a relaxation on a solo trip. This is one of the only all inclusive resorts and it was very nice to have when trying to relax. The food was delicious and the staff is incredibly friendly! My only complaint is that the beach in the West Bay is public so plenty of people will approach you trying to sell you things and that can be distracting and take away from the relaxation-- especially when alone! The hotel did a nice job of making me feel safe and welcome!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
3  Thank TravelGirl3434
Fernando G, Marketing and Guess Relations at Henry Morgan Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2014

Thank you very much for your comments, we're glad you enjoyed your stay.
You are right about the beach, since there are other hotels nearby you can get some sellers approach you. May we recomend Media Luna for your next visit, which is also part of HM Resorts and is located in the East side of the island with more provacy and a private beach for people who like more peace and quite. Either way, we will be glad to have you back at Henry Morgan or Media Luna :)

Reviewed June 9, 2014

This was our 4th stay at the Henry Morgan, since 2009, so you can tell that we enjoy staying here but I have to tell you that this was one of our best visits. The rooms have not changed much since our first visit but they are clean and comfortable and I think they are charming. There have been major improvements though, since our last visit 2 years ago, to the dining room, the food and the beach area. We liked that the dining room has been moved to the ground level in the former theatre area and that the veranda is available for outdoor eating. Unlike 2 yrs. ago, wine is available at lunch, dinner and at the bars. I especially enjoyed the the red sangria. The food was better than our last trip too especially at the beach restaurant with the Honduran/Mexican snacks and the best french fries south of a Canadian chip truck! The extension of the pool deck towards the beach, the new beach bar and the water sports' equipment desk in the former beach bar were all appreciated updates. The thing that has not changed at the Henry Morgan is the superior quality of all the staff. They are the most caring, friendly people and made me feel welcomed and well looked after. I especially want to thank George for our wonderful reception everyday in the dining room. We'll be back next March and are counting down the days until then.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
10  Thank LindaMcL

Ms Linda, the title in your comments saids it all.... having you for the 4th time is an honor. George says Hi, and all the staff is always waiting for you to come back.
We are really glad you notice and enjoy the changes made. We are always trying to get better and hope to surprise you more on your next visit.

Reviewed May 29, 2014

The bar, restaurant and security personnel are simply awesome. The front desk clerks are arrogant, give inconsistent information, seemed to be bothered when are asked simple schedule questions and appear to be incapable of understand what customer service means. Upon departure, they claimed to be missing a door key and wanted $5 for it. I refused to pay the fee because they never gave me the key, so they held the shuttle that was taking a total of around 20 guests back to the airport. The hotel manager was called, when he arrived after 10 min. he stated that the shuttle would not be leaving unless the fee was paid. After the $5 was finally collected a total of about 20 min. were wasted forcing the driver to speed down the mountain in attempt to deliver all passenger on time for their flight.

I will be visiting the island again, but I will not give this hotel the opportunity to give me another horrible memory. Other basic services are charged (ie $5 for 1 hour of Wi-Fi, $5 beach towels) while other hotels provide them as a norm. Think twice when planning your stay.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
#19 of 42 in Roatan
Paradise Beach Hotel
Paradise Beach Hotel
#4 of 14 in West Bay

Been to Henry Morgan Beach Resort? Share your experiences!