“6 star service”

Henry Morgan Beach Resort
Ranked #10 of 14 Hotels in West Bay
Reviewed May 5, 2014

Loved Roatan,loved all the staff at HM! They go out of the way to make your holiday special. Food excellent,and we are picky eaters.coffee not so good,but it works.at the airport they give u your bracelet whit save time at check in,thumbs for that.the rooms are very rustic,but clean,water pressure sucks on the 2 floor, but your in paradise ,so deal with it! We had lots of fun with the small things that go wrong ,but we are only in a 3.5 star resort.we stay at 5 star resorts, but the staff will make u feel that u are at a 5 star resort.beach amazing,snorkelling amazing.the people of Roatan are the best we have meet in the world,thank you.give it a shot u will not be disappointed. Just go with a open mind,and meet people ,that are real,just like u and me

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank baker64
Write a ReviewReviews (1,509)

Reviewed May 1, 2014

In Roatan you can find from backpakers hostals to 5 star hotels. But you can't expect to pay a 5 star hotel service in a 3 star hotel. Rooms are spacious and comfortables, villas are amazing. We spend great family time in the living room area. Staff was very friendly and helpful. In this hotel the staff is not the problem, perhaps, the food (not varied enough) we were there for 4 nights and we ate almost the same thing at dinner and breakfast! Gym compounds were hideous, the salt has rotten the materials.
Pool water is amazing at night!

Room Tip: Choose the villas rooms, and dont reserve online, try to do it from Honduras, its much much cheaper...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Arleni U
Reviewed April 29, 2014

This resort is not for those with high standards for rooms or food. The food and rooms are Ok by my wife and I. The A/C was loud. I do need to say I was happy they sent someone right away both times I told them about it which was impressive since it is an older resort and maintenance is a big job for them. It was still pretty loud which sucked but "E" for effort. The food was local stuff mostly. They do try to make some American type food but it's not the same.... Bacon only once for breakfast. But we were well fed and served well by the staff. That's really the only major negatives in my opinion. So if you are scared off by now I'll tell you the good stuff.
West Bay Area is the best. Find the reef to either side of HM about 150 ft out. Not that far. And it is worth it! We went night snorkelling with Ariana from TGI diving. Bio-luminescence, an octopus, crabs, sea cucumbers, sea urchins... etc. We found turtles and lion fish on other day trip. Scooter rentals are a good idea for a day trip. They allow you 24hrs so we stayed out late. You could go to West End after touring. We found so many paradise spots along the way! We took a zip line tour and a park that had monkeys and macaws. They let us interact with them too! So funny!! The best part and coolest thing off our bucket list was the Dolphin swim. Yup! You can free swim about 15-25 dolphins after the trainers give you a 1/2 hr encounter in shallow water with them. You get to pet them and they've trained them to kiss you!!
There you go. In conclusion we were very happy at HM in Roatan. Going with the less expensive resort left us with enough to go off resort to experience some pretty cool activities. And likely the pricing we were given wasn't inflated either in comparison.

• Stayed: April 2014
2  Thank Frugfans
Reviewed April 29, 2014

Not A Fan

I have been to other 3 star resorts and been happier.

Staff
Great, hard working people. A shout out to Clara and Roman. You guys are the reason why I am not totally panning this place.

Check-in
It was brutal, took more than an hour. Only 2 staff trying to check in 4 bus loads of guests. They were doing all they could. We were greeted with music, dancing and a cocktail, it could have been fun. No real chairs in the lobby, just gigantic day beds. They were very uncomfortable after ten minutes unless you laid down.

Room
It was decent. Lots of space to put our clothes. TV with more channels than I needed. Lots of hot water, decent pressure, more than enough towels. The bar fridge worked, it had 2 small bottles of drinking water. The safe was tiny, we left our electronics locked in our luggage and just left our passports and cash in the safe. The bed was just right for me, I slept like a log. The whole place is made of wood so if you are a light sleeper noise might be an issue. Housekeeping did a good job keeping the room clean.

My big complaint here is that there is no drinking water anywhere near the rooms. You had to walk all the way back to reception to refill your water bottles.

Buffet
My first thoughts were, that if you couldn’t find anything here to eat you are too much of a princess and should never have left your palace. There was a good selection of fruits and vegetables, pasta station and usually pork or beef and chicken and fish, if you showed up early. The Chilean wine was good. Then we ate later one night, about 30 mins before it closed. That was a challenge, because most of the dishes were not replaced or refilled, leaving slim pickings. I am not a big dessert guy but there was a selection of tarts, pastries and ice cream. I found the buffet noisy and at times frantic as people rushed to get food while they could.

Bar
This was a big fail and not because of the staff. Very poor selection of drinks. I was willing to pay more but even the premium selection was limited. Only one whiskey, it was a blended scotch. No bourbon, JD or rye. In spite of the fact that there are 4 decent local beers (Barena, Salva Vida, Port Royal and Imperial) they only beer they had was a disagreeable imported can called Meester.

I do not usually believe complaints of watered down liquor. A new friend complained that they were seriously watering down their liquor. So one morning when the bar opened at 11, we taste tested straight shots. I now believe that they watered down their Rum, Gin and Vodka. After that we went down the beach to buy beers and drank at other resorts, one of which we will be staying at next time.

Beach & Pool
Pool was never crowded, a good deep end and also steps into the shallow end. Good shade and chairs always available. LOL as you walk past the pool watch out for the splash as kids cannon ball.

Right at HM is where the beach sand is at its widest so there was always lounge chairs available. Small towel games only for some peoples’ preferred spots but lots of room and shade. My issue is with all the boats anchored right on the beach. Dive boats and water taxis constantly coming and going made me more than a bit nervous about swimming in front of the resort. The best snorkeling is way down at the end of the beach. It is worth the 15 minute walk to get there. In front of Infinity Bay is the best snorkeling I have ever found. Food availability at the beach snack bar was very erratic in spite of posted hours, eat it when you see it because when it is gone, it is gone!

Biting Bugs:
Don’t just take bug spray, use it. I didn’t feel the bug bites until they were itchy. Didn’t even see them flying around or crawling in the sand.

Flashlights; remember to stick them in your bag when you go for dinner because it will be dark on the way back to your room.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
4  Thank NotAtHome55
Reviewed April 26, 2014

I enjoyed 2 weeks at Henry Morgan, Roatan, April 7 to 21, 2014.
This was our 5th time staying at H.M. We know it is not a 5 star
Resort and know what to expect when we book our vacation.
The staff at the resort are all very friendly and try their best to
be helpful and sociable even if they do not speak or understand
much English. The housekeepers do a great job each day cleaning
and taking care of the rooms. Jorge and the entire buffet restaurant
staff make dining a pleasurable experience (breakfast,lunch, dinner)
The beach bar/lunch restaurant was also very good as an option
for casual lunch in beach or pool attire.
We enjoyed 18 exciting, fun dives with T.G.I. Diving.
We enjoyed our stay at H.M. so much that the 2 weeks
stay felt more like one!
We will surely return, and maybe stay 3 weeks next time.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 22, 2014

I'm by no means a traveller that needs or wants to be pampered and waited on hand and foot, but given that I booked this resort at an on sale price, I feel I got what I paid for but my husband and I most definitely will not be back unless it is again on sale for a very low price.

Yes the rooms were clean and the staff was very friendly, but the wooden construction of the rooms makes them horribly noisy; the food was only edible at best and it was repetitive (same dishes appeared 3 times in a 1 week stay) and not labelled; the pool needed better cleaning; the alcohol was watered down; the only place to get drinking water was in reception...not near the rooms; and it's too much walking for people with mobility issues, my husband being one of them, but we knew this going there, just didn't realize how much walking he would have to do.

The hair dryer did not work from the day we checked in and it took my speaking directly to the front desk 3 times before it was replaced. Not a big issue, but "island time" seems to rule there...everything good and slow.

Also, because my husband cannot walk far (spinal injuries) and in Canada is considered "disabled", and cannot climb stairs, I requested a ground floor room in either buildings 2, 1, 7 or 8 in that order of preference. I even sent an email to reservations, in both English and Spanish, requesting same and explaining why I needed the ground floor room in great detail and my request was acknowledged by return email. When we arrived, we were assigned a room in building 2 on the second floor with the explanation that "everyone wants the second floor". We were told that there were no spare rooms available and if we wanted a ground floor room, we had to negotiate with the next people that check in and swap rooms. This is a completely unacceptable treatment of a disabled person they were previously advised about.

Overall, my experience is "I got what I paid for" so not complaining here, merely stating facts in the hopes this might help others.

Room Tip: There are no "good" rooms. It's all wooden construction and you'll hear everythin...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank Dogmother2002
Reviewed April 15, 2014

Visited Henry Morgan Resort after a 5 year absence. Everything is pretty much the same. The rooms are rustic but charming and clean. The rooms are a bit of a hike from the beach. Beds are comfortable. The check in process was a bit slow and annoying but after that everything was terrific. Food is very good with an excellent selection and lots of fresh fruit and veggies. Love having the dive shop right on site. Lobby area is cozy and welcoming. The beach is excellent (although busier and more developed than 5 years ago). Great place for families and couples. Not the best if you are a "party animal" as the bar closes at 11pm (which is fine with us since we are usually in bed early after a tiring day of diving and snorkelling). Fantastic snorkelling just a short walk up the beach. Lots of other bars and restaurants nearby if you wish to avail yourself. The pool is clean and warm. Quite a few cats on the property but they are friendly and since I love cats this was not a problem for me.

Room Tip: We preferred an upper room since you cannot hear your upstairs neighbours walking around.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
#4 of 14 in West Bay
Media Luna Resort & Spa
Media Luna Resort & Spa
#20 of 42 in Roatan

Been to Henry Morgan Beach Resort? Share your experiences!