“Almost ok for the price”

Henry Morgan Beach Resort
Ranked #10 of 14 Hotels in West Bay
Reviewed March 30, 2014

The Henry Morgan Resort is priced close to its competitors and it is a hotel with some years on its back.
One way we felt this was their power generator. When there was no electricity and the generator was running there was no aircondition and hot water. One night there was no electricity at all until next morning at 9:00. The rooms got very hot, when the windows almost does not open (another thing that needs maintenance at HM).
The staff is mostly very friendly though most of it is not very competent. You get a lot of smiles, and your beverages served after you finished eating.
The food is always fresh, healthy and in great variety, though the once best prepared are the Honduran dishes and the pasta. The breakfast is very good, though we missed the orange juice. What they serve you is an artificial drink with orange taste. Sometimes you could get the waiter to prepare a lemonade or orangeade - but you would have to wait for it.

The location and the surroundings of HM are perfect. There is trees and palms all over providing shade and a tropical atmosphere. The buildings are dark on the inside but still giving a nice atmosphere as well.
The swimming pool is big and warmer than the ocean. There is no shower at the entrance from the main building and only few people shower before going in. This probably contributes to the unclear water. Leafs are removed from the pool during the day.

The night that the electricity was completely gone all the employees managed to hide - management as well. There was no information at all, and the guests was left to themselves. After 15 minutes we got tired of waiting and went to bed. Fortunately we had a smartphone that served as a flashlight, and we could find our way the the room and got to bed. On the way to the room at least half of the emergency lights was not working - lack of maintenance. That the generator had problems was not something new to management, as both other guests and employees told us that there had been problems with it for some time.
The TV in the rooms does not work. Except for a few Italian channels the rest was mostly snow.

Overall Henry Morgan seems like a nice hotel in good surroundings, with lack of a good management and maintenance.

Room Tip: Insist on getting a room on first floor. The rooms at the ground floor are dark and hot. Because of...
4  Thank homaxto

Reviewed March 29, 2014

My recent stay at the Henry Morgan was my second time on the island. I knew the island provided an excellent winter escape, particularly because I love snorkelling off the beach. However, I was slightly concerned about the negative reviews about the HM. The resort met my expectations and more. We were a large group - seniors, children and parents. All enjoyed their stay. Special requests were accommodated by the hotel staff, the beach and snorkelling were fabulous, the food and drinks were quite acceptable, and the hardworking staff were friendly. Thank you for making the lobby and other resort areas non-smoking. I will definitely return to the HM.

Recommendation - open the coffee bar in the morning. The coffee is so good!

3  Thank Trudester
Reviewed March 29, 2014

We were recently at the Henry Morgan Resort March 17th for 1 week. We found the staff very friendly. Excellent value for the money. The beach was clean and safe. The rooms were cleaned daily and the maid decorated with a different "towel" animal every day. The food was very good also. I also went scuba diving with the onset dive organization. One of the best I have experienced in 30 years of diving!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank poyd1985
Reviewed March 26, 2014

Just got back from Roatan Honduras. Stayed at the Henry Morgan. Very rustic but clean. Staff are very friendly and helpful. Entertainment at nite was a lot of fun. Watchout you may even a lap dance!!!!!. Beach is beautiful great for walking. Ocean is so clean and the color beautiful.Would go back in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for the second floor. Make sure you take mosquito repellent although I was not bot...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
3  Thank patricia g
Reviewed March 25, 2014

We were at Henry Morgan for the Canadian March Break. Someone on TripAdvisor commented that the resort was "rustic" and I find this to be a very truthful description.

We flew with Nolitours. No issues. Great plane, spacious seats, good food (!), good movie, on time - no complaints at all. The transfer from the airport to the resort was very efficient. I was however completely ashamed to be a Canadian when one of my fellow travellers on the bus yelled at the driver, "slow down you idiot!" Give me a break, this is his country and he drives here all the time. I was mortified. That's not how Canadians are supposed to behave.

Anyway, I digress. So the resort is not beachfront, but you will know this already from your research. It is not a long walk from the villas to the beach, but I'm glad it wasn't any further. It was far enough that it was a pain in the neck if we forgot something in our room and had to go back for it.

I thought the food was completely fine. Of the week that we dined there, we found something very tasty every night except one. Tip - check to see what is grilling on the outside deck! Breakfast was always yummy, we always had mexican food prepared fresh at the beach bar, and dinner was always tasty too except for that one night. It's not fancy, but we were never hungry. Yes, you do need to eat during the set times in the restaurant. Big deal. We never ate off of the resort, even though some of our fellow travellers did. I'm of the mind, "why pay for food, when we can get it for free at the resort?" There was always wine with dinner, and lots to choose from at the bars. My only disappointment was that there wasn't any sparkling wine or champagne... I got accustomed to this when we travelled to other three star resorts in Cuba and Curacao. Oh well, I survived just fine on rum!

The rooms are rustic. No ocean views. No tubs. The showers were installed units. The hot water was limited, so we learned to shower quickly. You are requested not to flush your toilet paper. The towels were quite thin. The beds were only doubles. The air conditioner was finicky. The mattresses were firm (but we like that.) The rooms were CLEAN, and I wasn't there to spend much time in my room anyway.

The beach is amazing. The water is crystal clear. The diving and snorkeling is wonderful. But the beach is BUSY. There are resorts and restaurants all along West Bay and the place is a beehive of activity. I knew it would be a happening place but I didn't anticipate just how busy. I also didn't anticipate how many vendors would be on the beach, constantly approaching you to buy something, or have a massage, or have your hair braided. It was constant and got to be pretty annoying.

We finally gave up on the beach and parked ourselves around the huge pool each day, where there was also lots of shade from the unrelenting sun and heat. We swam and snorkeled everyday in the ocean, but it was to the resort pool that we retreated for a little peace and quiet.

The entertainment was alright I guess. I liked the fire show on Saturday night. I enjoyed the other shows (which happen at 8:30 every evening) but felt so stupid when a hat was passed around at the end by the performers, sometimes children, and I didn't have any money with me.

So, after reading all of this you probably think we didn't like our vacation at Henry Morgan... but in fact, we LOVED it. The staff were very friendly, and the other travellers quickly became friends. As my son said, "This was my favourite holiday, because it was so simple." And he's right... you wake up, eat breakfast, go back to your villa, pack for the pool and the beach. Spend the day relaxing and swimming and snorkeling and chatting with new friends, drinking. Have lunch at the beach bar. Have a little siesta in the shade. Staff bring the "drink of the day" around four, also the signal that fresh donuts will be available at the beach bar to tide you over until supper. Watch the sunset around six, wander back to your villa, have a quick shower and dress casually for dinner around 7. Have a drink after dinner in the main hall while you wait for the show. Watch the show. Go to bed when it's over. Repeat it all again the next day. Kind of perfect.

9  Thank Donna L
Reviewed March 20, 2014

The hotel was always clean and the staff very friendly. My biggest complaint was the smokers on the beach. You couldn't breathe beautiful ocean air for all the second hand smoke. It was horrible. I wish these people could see that their expiry date was closing in on the with all the smoke. You couldn't enjoy the outdoors for all the smoke.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Jazmyn22
Reviewed March 15, 2014

We have spent three successive vacations at the Henry Morgan Hotel and have chosen this as our permanent winter destination. This resort's best asset is the hotel Maitre de Jorge Servellon Martinez who makes you feel like family in the dining room. Jorge manages a staff of 20 and every one of them will go out of their way to ensure you enjoy your dining experience. They have the best smiles anywhere! There won't be any ice sculptures on the tables but the food is excellent and well prepared.

Beachfront at the Henry Morgan is fabulous. There are plenty of shady palm trees and always enough beach chairs. Beach staff are helpful too.

Most people visit Roatan to take advantage of the incredible snorkeling. It's the best snorkeling we've seen anywhere in the Caribbean - and it's accessible right off the beach. The water is usually always calm and clear.

This is not a four star hotel but exceptionally good value for the very modest price of accommodation. Highly recommended!
Valerie Wilson

#19 of 42 in Roatan
Paradise Beach Hotel
Paradise Beach Hotel
#4 of 14 in West Bay

Been to Henry Morgan Beach Resort? Share your experiences!