“Great diving with TGI”

Ranked #10 of 14 Hotels in West Bay
Ottawa, On, Can
“Great diving with TGI”
Reviewed February 24, 2014

I had forgotten to write a review for this resort. This was actually our 2nd time at this resort and it was fine. We were there to dive everyday and it was amazing. Great prices book on line to save $. The snorkelling on the beach is great as well. The food and drinks are fine. The rooms are rustic we just loved the back deck, laying back in the hammocks relaxing after our dives. TV was fine, kept us busy if it rained. Lots of drawers to store your clothing. Best to get a room in back of the resort so you don't have to listen to the luggage being dragged on the walkway in the morning when the guests leave. Remember you aren't going there for the food you are there for the water (snorkelling and diving). Life will be good!
Enjoy

Room Tip: Get a room in the back of the resort.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Happygoluckie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
  • Polish first
Reviewed February 14, 2014 via mobile

I have seen mixed reviews about this resort prior to going. We stayed at HM sister resort for a week before coming to Henry Morgan. The location was great beach and snorkeling amazing.
The food was buffet style and very decent although buffets get to be a little much after awhile. There were lots of restaurants within a short walk for a needed change.
We stayed in the villa which was very nice and had a lot of room. Room was kept very clean and it was nice to have the space to hang out on rainy days.
Its worth the trip but keep in mind that Roatan is still developing and isn't like Mexico or Aruba but still a nice vacation. We prefered this resort over the sister resort. Wifi is not free at HM but is reasonable at $20 per week...still it should be included.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
5 Thank Walsh3032
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed February 8, 2014

January 14, 2014-

I went out to enjoy the serenity of the beach. While walking on the beach I felt something sharp on my foot. I was expecting it to be a stone, however discovered it was a used needle. I was rushed to a hospital by my friends and placed on prophylactic medications for HIV.

No followup was ever made by the resort staff about my wellbeing. No help was offered with arranging a taxi to the nearest hospital, or phone calls to insurance companies.

You say that your mission is to “anticipate and deliver on the dreams and expectations of every guest’s perfect holiday.” My perfect holiday was not to step on a dirty needle and potentially risk contracting HIV and Hepatitis C.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
7 Thank Wyn3

Travelers are raving about these West Bay hotels

Pickering, Canada
Reviewed February 7, 2014

Just got back from a two week stay on monday, we had a great time!!!! Yes the resort could use a coat of paint and is showing a little wear and tear but it is advertised as a 3.5 star and I feel that's a solid rating!!!!
The staff are the best I have ever had anywhere, they are all friendly and so sweet to be around, a special shout out the Josue, Spencer and Vikki from the Entertainment Staff, the Amazing little cook who does the omelettes, makes the most amazing enchiladas at the snack bar and works at the a la carte again for dinner (does she ever sleep...lol?) Sueyappa (sp) I wanted to bring her home with me!!! and the amazing servers Eder, Freddy, Osmond, Edwin, Tyler, Maricel, Roman and Anna, you all are so amazing and work so hard, thanks for making my vacation so special!!!
I also wanted to thank George, Sueyappa and Freddy for giving me the best Birthday surprise ever, a beautiful Birthday dinner on the beach, the table was covered in flowers, shells and candles, the seafood dinner was spectacular and then a beautiful decorated cake for dessert, BEST BIRTHDAY EVER!!! Sueyappa even gave me a present, I almost cried!!!
Luka the new manager has plans for upgrades to the hotel, he was always visible and talking to everyone, our AC unit stopped one day and he was there right along with the workers fixing it, amazing!!! He is a really nice guy with big plans for the hotel.
Sonia, the Customer Services Rep, is also really nice and helpful!!!

The only things I could think of that would help the resort is to put actual numbers on the buildings so you can figure out where your room is when you get there, very difficult, possibly having someone take you there the first time and maybe bigger water bottles in the fridge so that when you have to fill them up you can carry more water, or even a better idea, have the water bottles you fill up with near the rooms too.....
The beach and snorkling are spectular!!!

The food is really good, not always a huge selection but always tasty and fresh!!! George in the dining room is keeping everything running smoothly...they do run out of certain things sometimes but not often...and there was always something else to choose from, I loved the fish every day it was so good!!!

all and all we had a great time!!!!

Room Tip: Upper rooms might be a bit quieter but the closer you are to the lobby the more traffic you will hav...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Seka'sGirl
Barrie
Reviewed February 2, 2014

We found this to be a solid 3 star accommodation. Great pool, nice beach, staff were friendly, rooms were nice and they have a great dive operator on site (TGI Divers). Food was a little boring after a few days and we found we wanted to explore the local restaurants, however no one starved or got sick. We found this to be good value for the money we paid. We would stay here again if the price was right.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
6 Thank medic3132
Owen Sound Ontario
Reviewed January 30, 2014

We stayed at the Henry Morgan for two weeks Jan 13 to the 27th. The weather could have been a bit better, but this is still their rainy season. I probably wouldn't travel to Roatan till February at the earliest. This was our 5th visit and we thoroughly enjoy the hotel. It also has improved greatly since our last visit 2 years ago due to the change in management. Luka (sp) has done a great job. Many of the staff are the same and to us it's almost a family visit. I don't like to mention names as there are always people whom I forget but George who heads up the dining room and the waiters and waitresses (and the omelet lady) are some of the most friendly and kind people I have met at any of the hotels we have traveled to over the years.
The Animation staff are great and make one feel at home.
The bartenders were very efficient at keeping my glass full.
I enjoy eating and I never left the dining room hungry. There was always a large enough selection of food ranging from roast beef, roast pork, a variety of fish, and some great local dishes. if you are looking for Canadian food, stay in Canada.
For some reason sand fleas can be a nuisance to some people all along West Bay, not just the Henry Morgan. My partner had a few bites but she used "skin so soft" and they didn't bother her. I took vitamin B a week before we traveled and while there, and never had a bite. For some reason these little pests are attracted more to some folks than others.,
If you are looking for a glitzy, ceramic tile, 4 allacart, 5 star, with the bar open all night, this is not the place for you. If you are looking for a homey cottage type of place, with great staff,and with real value for your dollar, book the Henry Morgan. I would say it's a great 3.5 star.

Room Tip: we like the top floor in buildings 2 or 3.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
4 Thank Funadelics
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed January 29, 2014

Let me just say firstly that I'm not cutting up this resort so much as trying to relay an honest unbiased review of the Henry Morgan resort. I'm well-travelled and not just in the Caribbean. This place has everything that you need for a good vacation if you're not too fussy. They rate it a 3 star but I wouldn't give it more than a 2.5. There's food, drinks and decent rooms. The beds are comfy and the service is good. Actually the service is fantastic. Best I've seen.

You won't go hungry or thirsty and we mostly come for the sun and a good tan anyhow. Unfortunately this is rainy season and we got 1.5 days of sun. 2 days of solid rain and the rest were cloudy. But blame God. Or blame me for choosing this during rainy season.
We read the reviews before we left and knew not to expect a classy place with glass, brass and marble so we weren't surprised when we got here.
However, it's a bit of a dump and some things could easily be fixed but aren't. Hot water is severely lacking. We had about 6 minutes of it daily so we learned to put it on very low to conserve. There's mould in our bathroom and the hydro goes out often, even if only for a few minutes at a time. But this knocks out the cable and wifi and often blows the AC so they need to come reset the breaker. We never have the electrical recepticle working after a shower so blow drying hair is done in the other room.
Many say that coming here is akin to visiting a rustic cottage. Yes, it is. However, if you shop around you can get so much more for the same price! There's almost no grounds maintenance so everything looks a little run down. Every other place we've visited had many workers tending to gardens and foliage from early hours. It's wonderful to walk from your room to the pool and see beauty. Don't expect that here. Think 'rustic cottage'. I have read that the noise from upstairs or outside is bad. This is true. No insulation between levels and you can hear someone pulling a suitcase or the maid's cart along the wooden boardwalk from a great distance. If you're a light sleeper, you will have issues. You can easily hear every word spoken outside.
As for the food, don't expect anything fancy. They seldom replenish dishes so if you're not there early, you lose. I've only had salad once this week. Lettuce is cheap, but for some reason they won't refill it after it's empty. When I asked about some other dishes, they told me "that's it" even though there was still 45 minutes left in dinner service. But once again, you won't go hungry. Think 'rustic cottage'.
I'm a whiskey drinker but since they don't have any I had to find something else. My wife's drink of choice is either white wine or vodka and orange. The wine is so sweet she couldn't drink it. I tried it and it's terrible. The orange juice is actually Tang or some kind of orange drink. Definitely not juice. But once again, we didn't go thirsty. I bought a bottle of Canadian whiskey in town yesterday, so I'm happy now.
Premium drinks are extra. $6 for a Baileys or $1 for a shot in your coffee. Oh well. I'll live.
The sand fleas and mosquitos are insane. We went with a group of 42 and over half of them were COVERED with bites on their legs. I wasn't bothered. Perhaps my type of skin? There's lots of great restaurant and bars within walking distance along the beach though. So, all in all, if you're not expecting anything more than a rustic cottage experience, then come here for the service alone. Ample chaise loungers at the beach, hardly anybody at the pool and very small wait times for drinks. The staff is amazingly friendly and helpful. But honestly, if you shop around, you can find so much more for your dollar. It's nice to be "wowed" just walking from your room to the restaurant or pool. You don't get that here.

Room Tip: Get a room on the 2nd floor if possible. However I emailed them a week prior and they didn't re...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Paradise Beach Hotel
Paradise Beach Hotel
#4 of 14 in West Bay
Bananarama Beach and Dive Resort

Been to Henry Morgan Resort? Share your experiences!