“great place”

Henry Morgan Resort
Ranked #10 of 14 Hotels in West Bay
Reviewed January 30, 2014

We stayed at the Henry Morgan for two weeks Jan 13 to the 27th. The weather could have been a bit better, but this is still their rainy season. I probably wouldn't travel to Roatan till February at the earliest. This was our 5th visit and we thoroughly enjoy the hotel. It also has improved greatly since our last visit 2 years ago due to the change in management. Luka (sp) has done a great job. Many of the staff are the same and to us it's almost a family visit. I don't like to mention names as there are always people whom I forget but George who heads up the dining room and the waiters and waitresses (and the omelet lady) are some of the most friendly and kind people I have met at any of the hotels we have traveled to over the years.
The Animation staff are great and make one feel at home.
The bartenders were very efficient at keeping my glass full.
I enjoy eating and I never left the dining room hungry. There was always a large enough selection of food ranging from roast beef, roast pork, a variety of fish, and some great local dishes. if you are looking for Canadian food, stay in Canada.
For some reason sand fleas can be a nuisance to some people all along West Bay, not just the Henry Morgan. My partner had a few bites but she used "skin so soft" and they didn't bother her. I took vitamin B a week before we traveled and while there, and never had a bite. For some reason these little pests are attracted more to some folks than others.,
If you are looking for a glitzy, ceramic tile, 4 allacart, 5 star, with the bar open all night, this is not the place for you. If you are looking for a homey cottage type of place, with great staff,and with real value for your dollar, book the Henry Morgan. I would say it's a great 3.5 star.

Room Tip: we like the top floor in buildings 2 or 3.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
4  Thank Funadelics
There are newer reviews for Henry Morgan Resort

Reviewed January 29, 2014

Let me just say firstly that I'm not cutting up this resort so much as trying to relay an honest unbiased review of the Henry Morgan resort. I'm well-travelled and not just in the Caribbean. This place has everything that you need for a good vacation if you're not too fussy. They rate it a 3 star but I wouldn't give it more than a 2.5. There's food, drinks and decent rooms. The beds are comfy and the service is good. Actually the service is fantastic. Best I've seen.

You won't go hungry or thirsty and we mostly come for the sun and a good tan anyhow. Unfortunately this is rainy season and we got 1.5 days of sun. 2 days of solid rain and the rest were cloudy. But blame God. Or blame me for choosing this during rainy season.
We read the reviews before we left and knew not to expect a classy place with glass, brass and marble so we weren't surprised when we got here.
However, it's a bit of a dump and some things could easily be fixed but aren't. Hot water is severely lacking. We had about 6 minutes of it daily so we learned to put it on very low to conserve. There's mould in our bathroom and the hydro goes out often, even if only for a few minutes at a time. But this knocks out the cable and wifi and often blows the AC so they need to come reset the breaker. We never have the electrical recepticle working after a shower so blow drying hair is done in the other room.
Many say that coming here is akin to visiting a rustic cottage. Yes, it is. However, if you shop around you can get so much more for the same price! There's almost no grounds maintenance so everything looks a little run down. Every other place we've visited had many workers tending to gardens and foliage from early hours. It's wonderful to walk from your room to the pool and see beauty. Don't expect that here. Think 'rustic cottage'. I have read that the noise from upstairs or outside is bad. This is true. No insulation between levels and you can hear someone pulling a suitcase or the maid's cart along the wooden boardwalk from a great distance. If you're a light sleeper, you will have issues. You can easily hear every word spoken outside.
As for the food, don't expect anything fancy. They seldom replenish dishes so if you're not there early, you lose. I've only had salad once this week. Lettuce is cheap, but for some reason they won't refill it after it's empty. When I asked about some other dishes, they told me "that's it" even though there was still 45 minutes left in dinner service. But once again, you won't go hungry. Think 'rustic cottage'.
I'm a whiskey drinker but since they don't have any I had to find something else. My wife's drink of choice is either white wine or vodka and orange. The wine is so sweet she couldn't drink it. I tried it and it's terrible. The orange juice is actually Tang or some kind of orange drink. Definitely not juice. But once again, we didn't go thirsty. I bought a bottle of Canadian whiskey in town yesterday, so I'm happy now.
Premium drinks are extra. $6 for a Baileys or $1 for a shot in your coffee. Oh well. I'll live.
The sand fleas and mosquitos are insane. We went with a group of 42 and over half of them were COVERED with bites on their legs. I wasn't bothered. Perhaps my type of skin? There's lots of great restaurant and bars within walking distance along the beach though. So, all in all, if you're not expecting anything more than a rustic cottage experience, then come here for the service alone. Ample chaise loungers at the beach, hardly anybody at the pool and very small wait times for drinks. The staff is amazingly friendly and helpful. But honestly, if you shop around, you can find so much more for your dollar. It's nice to be "wowed" just walking from your room to the restaurant or pool. You don't get that here.

Room Tip: Get a room on the 2nd floor if possible. However I emailed them a week prior and they didn't re...
9  Thank ajssound
Reviewed January 29, 2014

Yes the fleas are bad. It rained 5 out of 7 days . Ok ! Thats the bad stuff. The staff are great , the food is good. The rooms are clean and the 44 of us made for a great vacation. The beach is well groomed and looked after and the shopping and bar scene was awesome. I listened to people complain all week about this or that. If you put that much energy into the good things life would get better. Thanks for having us Henry Morgan !

Room Tip: Top floors are a little quieter.
1  Thank kenpearn
Reviewed January 28, 2014

I give this resort a 2.5 star, do not recommend it. The food was tolerable (first week), the variety is very limited and so are the quantities. You are fighting with others to get some when it comes out as they run out quickly. Hope you like donuts everyday for snacks, that is what they provide.

I was there for two weeks from the 13th to the 27th of January and the 2nd week I went out to restaurants. I just could not take it anymore and spent around $800 in food alone for the two of us on top of our trip price. My suggestion is to stay at the Mayan or Infinity Bay. Spend more upfront and you won't to spend it at restaurants.

The sand fleas are horrid. Few of us had to go to the clinic to get cortisone shots to reduce the swelling and infection. I hear at infinity bay they spray the sand but not here. I dont know if the fleas are year round but if they are I could not deal with it anymore. There were no hand dryers nor any paper to dry your hands in the bathroom for the first week and when it rained water poured out of the ceiling light fixtures. This lasted two weeks and they they closed it and never fixed it.
I am told that December and January is the rainy season. Wait until February.

It is a beautiful island the beach is very nice however it was too crowded for me. The second week people were lined up like sardines on the beach and I like to have peace and quiet. I had one lady who kept wanting to massage me, she drove me nuts and kept creeping behind me. Staff are very friendly, the biggest asset is their people.

Room are somewhat dated but clean. Yes, you can hear everyone walk on the wood walkways, you can here all the suitcases rolling early in the morning. I believe we were bittin during the night as well, I am convinced the bed also had sandfleas.

This is my first review ever and I dont complain I think its important not to ruin anyone elses vacations.

4  Thank Helene J
Reviewed January 26, 2014

* If your passport will have expired 6 months or less by the time you return to your country, renew it before you go. Honduras has a rule. I was warned; one in our group was refused departure from Canada.

**See my review on TGI Diving and why you should book with them even if you don`t stay at Henry Morgan.

Henry Morgan is like a run down campground. Everything is old and out of service. If that doesn`t bother you, you will like your stay. If it does, you might want to consider other options like the beautiful new Infinity Bay just down the beach (owned by the same company). The reason we wouldn`t go back to Henry Morgan is because you don`t get what you pay for. If it had cost $900/week including airfare, we`d have got our money`s worth. For what we paid, we could get better food and accomodations elsewhere. We liked our trip but you`re paying for less at Henry Morgan.

Read on to know more. Scroll down for `What to Bring`

What you get:
-telephone didn`t work so we paid $1/minute at the lobby for a local call. We suspect the employee pocketed the money
-wifi in lobby costs $15/day or $20/week. Try renting a Wireless 3G router for your room from Jack Van`s
-thin walls in room. Heard neighbours at 11pm, 5am...
-stained bedding
-shower water brown at first, freezing then burning
-faucet not working, hair dryer smoked, wiring for lights exposed, mold on ceiling
-air conditioner worked great, nice and cold
-very friendly staff and helpful (carried our bags to room)
-mediocre food (fish good, overcooked meat, same thing everyday)
-they provide soap--bring shampoo, shower gel and facecloths
-2 free water bottles in fridge, fill them up at lobby
-mediocre tasting cocktails, only 4 to choose from in the all-inclusive
-1 à la carte supper / week. The beach bar dining area becomes the à la carte at night
-meals served 7-9:30, 12:30-2, 6:30-9. Snacks at beach bar and main bar (hot doughnuts)
-Mexican entrées served at beach bar 12-2pm Very good!
-espresso machine at bar, good!
-don`t flush your toilet paper
-fumigate for misquitoes btween 4-5pm; stay indoors the fumes are nasty, but you won`t get bug bites!
-easy access to snorkelling in front of infinity bay (Reef called Mandy`s Eel Garden)
None of this would have bothered me if we were paying campground prices. But we weren`t, so these are the things that would keep us from oming back because of the high price.

What to Bring
-flashlight, misquioto spray, alcohol for bug bites, facecloths for shower, shamzpoo, soap, Ziplock bags to pack snacks from the breakfast buffet
-taxis and bus (Tika bus) easy to find. Negotiate price first
-T shirts at beach huts $5, in gift shops $7-10

Room Tip: second floora way, is quieter. we only heard the neighbours through the walls because the walls are...
5  Thank La_Tortuga_amarilla
Reviewed January 17, 2014

Hard to believe but we found the Henry Morgan Resort appealing because of its flaws. Having done Cuba 4 times, Playa Del Carmen twice, this was an experience different from most all inclusive resorts.

Things you would expect (like slushy drinks) were near non existent. However when was the last time a resort invited you to the premiere of a Rum Companies new product show, with Rum Tasting, trivia and prizes. Or took you shopping or put on a Movie when it rained. Definitely out of the ordinary.

Rooms were clean and rustic. Cleaning service perfect. Expect your air conditioner to break down at least once in the week, but the maintanence crew is quick to McGiver it.

Beach was pristine, and everything in West Bay Roatan is off the beach. Lots of activity. The only resort where the pool was almost always empty. And its a great deep and large pool. Just that everything was happening off the beach.

For the price , it was a great vacation, and the animation crew worked so very hard. Thanks to Jimmy and the crew for there hard work. Evening shows were fun and Entertaining.

Lots of Canadians and Italians there. We went as a couple but there were a few families there with small children.

Definately Sand fleas are an issue. The gift that keeps on giving. Still scratching a week later.
TIP: This does work. Sunscreen on your feet and ankles (of course), then spray vegetable oil over the sunscreen., Fleas cant penetrate it.

Room Tip: Doesn't matter you get either a first floor or second floor. really no choice. I found first...
1  Thank maritimetraveller1
Reviewed January 17, 2014

We traveled December 30 to January 13 (2 Weeks). Transfer from the airport was smooth, as was check in. We were greeted with a drink and live music. Our room request was not accommodated, but our booking late (Dec 16) and it being New Year’s week the resort was full.

After spending the first night we had a major/unacceptable room problem. The front desk staff listened, but was of no help whatsoever, just telling us "we're full-nothing we can do"! The senior person on duty had the nerve to ask how long in advance we booked and proceeded to use that as an excuse for the poor room. Room 142 bathroom floor tile is floating due to a toilet leak. When you walk on the floor the bacteria infested water oozes up between the tiles and gets your feet and/or towels wet. Serious mold on adjacent walls at baseboard and above. This has clearly been ongoing for a long time. We even considered leaving the resort and went searching and found other accommodations. I hope the resort sees this comment and fixes it to keep their guests happy and more importantly, before someone else suffers or gets sick in this room.

After speaking with our Nolitours Rep, and taking her to our room to see it first hand, she promptly addressed it with senior resort staff and we were moved. Thanks Bianca!! If it weren’t for your help it would have been a nightmare or we would have had to leave.
In reality, before we booked, our expectations were not high after reading the reviews. We’re really not that hard to please, therefore, in the end we give it a very generous 3.5 star rating as the resort grew on us throughout our stay. In general, I think the resort warrants between 2.5 and 4 stars depending on your expectations and personal experience.

Resort

Rooms have been talked about, see more room comments below. The property is built on a wetland but all buildings are raised well above ground and dry. Lighting in rooms and the lobby could be better, but acceptable. There are frequent power outages so be sure to bring a flashlight. I learned from many I talked to that 1. Power on the island (diesel generated) is intermittent, and 2. Very expensive! Many resorts do have their own generators for continuous and back-up power. Did I say….Bring A Flashlight!! Card keys (2) failed simultaneously three times during our visit. For those that have to walk the full distance of the resort it can be frustrating to have to walk back to the front desk to reactivate. Card keys do work during power outages.

Cleanliness

The rooms and the resort in general were kept very clean. We were more than satisfied.

Beach

One of the best beaches we have ever been to! I have to say the Henry Morgan section of beach is the best of West Bay. More width and depth than all other properties. The water is clear and the beach kept very clean. Due to some serious tropical storms, the sea grass, kelp and trash did wash up, but resort staff tirelessly worked to clean it up. Never a problem to get a lounger and if in short supply beach staff go out of their way to find you one and place it where you want it. There are very friendly security guards watching your things as long as they are on resort property.

We’re not divers, but did experience some of the best snorkeling ever just a short walk off the Beach past Infinity Bay in front of the new Grand Roatan resort.

As was expected, limited, repetitive, but for the most part, tasty and satisfying. The ice cream was great, although only lasted 2 days and was never replenished. The lunch buffet at the beach bar was the same every day but excellent. You won’t starve. There are many great restaurants a short distance away on the West End beach as well as West Bay.

Drinks

Mostly a beer drinker, so very satisfied. The Rum Ice Coffee was a favorite and other basic drinks were fine. Premium brands were at additional cost, but we never had to go there.

Pool

The beach is the main attraction, although on windy or wavy days the pool does get some use. The pool water was not that clear although seemed to be cleaned and maintained daily. After coming in from the beach most people wash the sand off their feet in the pool which calls for a foot wash station or two when entering the pool deck from the beach. There are 2 showers at both side of the deck, although you have to set foot in the sand again to get onto the deck.

Staff

Very friendly and accommodating and will typically go out of their way for you. Front desk staff is hit or miss. Tours seem to be run by the resort with their own staff hosting them. There are daily free walking tours. A special thanks to Jimmy (Animation Team) who was always there with a smile and Joel (Security) who was very friendly and kept the beach secure. Buffet staff were all very polite and at your service. Nightly entertainments was OK in general. New Year’s Eve on the Beach with the fire show was excellent. Entertainment repeats every week. Many more staff deserves recognition as well. Henry Morgan Resorts should be very proud of the quality staff they have.

Tips $$

We never once felt obligated or it necessary to receive good service and staff seemed genuinely appreciative of the tips you do give.

Weather

Something to consider when visiting Roatan; January is still within their rainy season. Our experience was 60% hot and sunny and 40% wind, rain and much cooler temperatures due to a tropical depression in the 2 weeks we stayed although the good weather we did have made up for the bad. We can’t control Mother Nature!!

Mosquitos/Sand Fleas

Personally, we did not have a problem. Maybe 2 or three mosquito bites in 2 weeks. We did see others with many bites. Bring some repellent, just in case.

We personally though the cost/value was good to very good.

We definitely would go back to Roatan and would again consider Henry Morgan, although with the abundance of different accommodations on the island, availability of food at the markets and some exceptional restaurants we may consider other options.

Overall we loved Roatan, the people are friendly, and we felt very safe venturing off the resort on our own. We would definitely love to experience more of what the island has to offer.

Room Tip: If you book last minute, you may get the worst room and/or not be accommodated with specific require...
5  Thank Don0Kelly
#18 of 42 in Roatan
Paradise Beach Hotel
Paradise Beach Hotel
#4 of 14 in West Bay

Been to Henry Morgan Resort? Share your experiences!