“Amazing Beach & Snorkelling” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Henry Morgan Resort

Henry Morgan Resort
Ranked #10 of 14 Hotels in West Bay
Ottawa, Canada
“Amazing Beach & Snorkelling”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2013

The Henry Morgan is an amazing little gem! This small intimate hotel has a very laid back island feel to it, the lobby is very different with day beds and loungers everywhere. The rooms were great nice canopy beds, two closets and a balcony with hammocks and beautiful views of the lush mountains. In the hotel description is clearly states NO OCEANVIEW rooms! So not sure how people can complain about that when it states it in the description! And if you look at any pictures you will see that the rooms are located further away from the lobby but your on vacation so not sure why people are complaining about a 10 minute walk through the beautiful property to the beach.

The food at the resort was OK nothing special, its just like any other Caribbean island all your basics!! However, the beach where the HM is located in lined with restaurants, and ALL of them are amazing!! We had dinner one night at the resort and decided we would like to try the restaurants with them being so close well what an experience that was first ill say the Bananarama (Thirsty Turtle & Bar) is out of this world!! I think I gained 10 pounds from their coconut shrimp alone!! They have great deals 10 JUMBO coconut shrimp, and 2 sides…either a huge salad, fries, sweet potato fries, veggies and much more all for $15USD!!! The stone oven pizza here is amazing, better than pizza I have had in Ontario!! Beachers has great Lobster Tail dinners, as well as the steak house right beside which offers beach dining and great surf and turf meals!!

If you are looking for absolutely amazing snorkeling lets forget about DR, Cuba and Jamaica! Roatan has the 2nd largest barrier reef in the world and the snorkeling & diving is out of this world!! Snorkeling right off the beach is surprisingly amazing, if you go left on the beach from the resort all the way to the end where the rocks are and snorkel straight out you will see coral reefs and large canyons everywhere, we saw huge parrot fish, angel fish, squid, some giant starfish & sand dollars and the biggest lobster ever!! Not to mention the other 100’s of kinds of fish I don’t know the name of! OR get off the island and take the Cayos Cochinos day trip to the small 13 islands snorkel or dive for hours and explore the true beauty!! They offer a beautiful lunch on a small island of about 100 people, which the island has no electricity or running water so its pretty amazing to see how they live there.

The actual beach at the resort is to die for, long and white sand, crystal clear blue water..rent the paddleboards and go out around the reefs! Don’t forget to pack some extra clothes, toothbrushes, advil, ect and give to the locals they are so greatful!! And bring bug spray, I was bit heavily by the sand fleas but my boyfriend did not have one bite on him!!

Some of the reviews on here are absolute crap and they are the people that will complain about absolutely anything and everything!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
15 Thank SunSurfSandLiveLove

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (217)
  • Polish first
San Salvador, El Salvador
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2013

I am one night away of checkout time and I couldn't wait to write this review. Lets start by telling you in the position I am in to get $20 wifi ( for 3 days) to work.. U only get reception in the lobby. My villa was located at last a 10-15 min walk from the Bea h. Wen I was handed the key I was given a key to an already occupied room...major security breach here...my villa room was nice compared to other rooms I got an eye from the window.... The food is nasty. Yep u read it right plain nasty... Pork is undercooked meat is over cooked and dry, rice is horrible and by the way u get to eat only at specific hours... There are thousands of flies at the bar which make u think twice before getting a drink in a bar opened from 1030 to 6 so if u are thirsty before or after that u are practically screwed unless you still have one of the 2 bottles of water they never replaced at the minibar in my room...
The beach was nice but don't come to hm if you Want quiet time ere is a discotheque on the beach with extremely lout music and dance lessons that last alllll day long... The manager managed to fix us up with a complimentary dinner in sight of all the inconveniences which was nice however I wouldn't come back ever again... Henry Morgan sets a low standard for roatan... I am biased as to if I should come again as I can see all hotels are similar.
Tv remote didn't work and they never changed it.
Hotel to airport transport was late when we got to the airport
Summing up, don't come here. Trust me and go to bananarama or infinity bay
Meal plan is not worth it at hm
Recommendations: bring your own towel. You will regret if u want to use a towel from the hotel even for bath time. They have holes and are dirty... And they were never available they were always washing them for some reason.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Federico M

Travelers are raving about these West Bay hotels

San Antonio, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2013

I got a little nervous before I left because I was reading all the recent review activity, of which some is very negative. But overall I had a good experience there.
Trip Dates: 7/17 - 7-25/13
Key Objectives of Travel: Relaxation/Diving
First and foremost we had an excellent time. We came back completely relaxed and this island/West Bay/Henry Morgan was the perfect getaway. I could not give this resort a very good rating because the beds were just so uncomfortable. An update on that and I would have listed this experience as excellent.
Location:
The West Bay, where HM is located, has the best beaches on the island. The West End is a 5 minute Water Taxi ($3) or after dark, a $20 cab ride from the West Bay. Coxenhole is where the cruise ships come in and is a small city center with tons of shopping. (On the other side of the island)
The West Bay is where are the majority of resorts are and is pretty quiet after 9pm. West End on the other hand has a much more robust night scene and is, for lack of a better word, a little rougher. West Bay had security at each resort and security roaming the beach. We felt safe there at all times. We met two couples who moved from the West End to the West Bay because they felt safer there. For young people who want to party a little, West End may be better suited for you. For relaxation, West Bay is the way to go.
The Henry Morgan is situated on right in the middle of the West Bay beach. Walk the entire beach in a little under 20 minutes and shop or stop and grab a beer or snacks.
The beach is LOADED with the fleas everyone talks about, so bring repellent or buy some before you decide to lay out all day. I applied 3x a day with SPF and had about 4 or 5 bites for the week.
Resort:
The Henry Morgan is such a cool place because of its layout. Sitting on the beach you have a bar/bar area that serves drinks from 1030 – 6pm and they also cook up snacks midday, little tostadas and cheese fingers/French fries.
The rooms are situated back in a circular boardwalk layout about ¼ mile from the beach. They are cabana style rooms, pretty simple. The rooms were very clean. Our A/C worked just fine, I saw a lot of comments about that, but no issues. We did have quite a walk to our room, but I actually enjoyed it because we put all the way in the back so it was extremely quiet. The flora and fauna and wildlife running around the resort were amazing. If you looked around there was always some wild life to check out right outside your door. The beds were in short horrible. As I mentioned before, the beds are the only reason I couldn’t give this a great rating. If you have back problems there would be absolutely no way you could stay in the room that we were in. I am a pretty heavy sleeper, especially after a day of diving and swimming, but I woke up several times over my stay due to discomfort. I backpack and sleep under the stars and to be completely honest, my sleeping pad is 10x more comfortable. We had two beds in the room and tried both of them. That was the only thing that was really outdated that bothered me.
Food:
Standard buffet food. Breakfast was great. They had an egg station everyday; they had oatmeal and your staples. Lunch and Dinner got repetitive, but I never felt like I was tired of the food.
Staff:
Everyone was awesome and really nice to us the whole time.
Diving:
TGI Shop was amazing. Diving is impossible to describe; this is why most people come. No long boat rides to see beauty… It is better than they say. I don’t know if I can dive the Caribbean again. Best diving I’ve had in the Caribbean by far… Dominica/Cozumel/Belize/Dominican Republic cannot compare.
Snorkeling:
If you have a mask and snorkel or just goggles, about 200 yards from the HM beach, in front of Infinity Bay is the start of a coral reef that you can swim to. It is huge and the snorkeling is AMAZING.
Summary:
This is nothing like the all-inclusive resorts I have stayed at in the past, but Roatan is like nowhere I have been before. If you are looking for hi-end accommodations, check out the Mayan Princess or Infinity Bay. This is where the majority of Americans were staying. If you want to stay at a place that you’ll remember as being a real island experience, stay at Henry Morgan. We’ll be back next year but I will be packing my sleep pad, but other than that exceptional value, service and establishment.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
11 Thank Daniel Y
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2013

Due to cancelled flight.
Viewpoint very objective as I wasn't paying!
Perfectly adequate for one night, many more and you would get bored.
Great beach.
Walk from rooms to main resort really quite far - you can't just pop back.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank Stuman1
Alhambra, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

All inclusive here doesn't mean all inclusive at all times, food is serve only for 1:30 hour and if you missed it you are screwed because they don't even have the option to buy something, the service was awful, 3 different rooms and all were already occupied.. The control remote of the tv was non existent and the room keys never worked properly.. To expensive for a 1/2 star hotel

• Stayed August 2012
2 Thank Joosielyn L
Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2013

We were there on June 5-10 2013 for a wedding. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone. We were told in advance that my husband and I would have a room right next to our two sons. When we got there they didn't have us together. After much discussion they finally moved us. The front desk was not very friendly. Our sons' room smelled like the sewer backed up and they kept telling us they fixed it, but it still smelled terrible. The T.V. didn't work for two days. The rooms are very dated. This hotel definitely needs an upgrade. I think they are using the same bath towels from when the hotel was first built. They don't give you washcloths. The shower head looked like someone just carved a hole in the wall and installed a shower head. It wasn't adjustable so it was very difficult to take a shower without getting your hair wet. We got so tired of them serving a variation of the same food every day that we ended up going out to eat several times-- which was an additional cost that I didn't plan for. The sand fleas or fleas were so bad that my legs were covered with red itchy spots. This is the only hotel I have ever stayed where there was a total lack of communication between what I expected and what they told me. On the positive side, the waiters were very friendly. The total cost of our stay was over $2,000 for 5 nights and we couldn't even see the beach from our rooms!!! I feel certain that there is a better resort for the money. I would rent a house next time if I couln't find a better resort than this. I was very disapppointed in what we got for the price we paid. I would not stay at an all inclusive resort again unless I was very certain about the variety and quality of food. I read the reviews on trip advisor and it sounds like some of the people had the same concerns.

Room Tip: Try to get closer to the reception area because it's a long walk to the beach.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Lisa G
Quebec, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2013

I traveled to the Henry Morgan with a friend from May 16 to 23, 2013 and had an amazing time. We stayed in one of the villas in the back, close to the gym. The room was nice but basic. This is not a luxurious resort and does not pretend to be one. Instead it is a small resort a very beautiful beach. The water is an amazing clear blue color and home to many fish if you are into snorkeling. There is reef nearby. The lobby staff is helpful and if you know Spanish the Henry Morgan is a perfect place to practice. The resort is walking distance to many restaurants, bars and souvenir stands on the beach. Bananarama has a 2 for 1 special on Mondays on large pizzas. Their pizza is very good! The food at the resort in general is good but they do not have any a la carte restaurants or 24 hour snacks. However you can eat lunch at the restaurant near the beach. The breakfast is complete (eggs, bacon, omelettes, pancakes, toast, fruits, etc). I love their toaster (you will see why)! Lunch and dinner also offer a good selection, but avoid the steak. If you like donuts, their fresh banana donuts are to die for! Look for them at the breakfast buffet or around 4 pm at the bar near the beach. The bar near the lobby also makes good hot and cold cappuccinos. The drinks are also good. The entertainment staff is trying hard to make your stay a happy one. They schedule many daily activities and even put up the movie Ted on the big screen for me and my friend one night. On Friday night they have a bar hop to West End. The main negative with this place are the mosquitoes and sand flies. Bring Off to protect against bites and apply it generously especially at night. Roatan is an eco-friendly island and they do not spray. That is the only reason I gave this place a 4 instead of 5 in my review. The island is very nice too and worth a visit on a day or half-day trip. The resort offers a free shuttle service to West End too. Just ask at the lobby. I would definitely go back to the Henry Morgan.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
#5 of 14 in West Bay
Fantasy Island Beach Resort
Fantasy Island Beach Resort
#5 of 5 in French Harbour

Been to Henry Morgan Resort? Share your experiences!