“A bit like camp”

Henry Morgan Beach Resort
Ranked #10 of 14 Hotels in West Bay
Reviewed February 18, 2013

Let me first say that Roatan is easily one of the most beautiful places I've ever been, and I have been to a lot of places that I would consider paradise.
The beaches are perfect, the snorkelling is amazing (a very close second the the Great Barrier Reef) and the people are extremely friendly.

As to Henry Morgan Resort, it was an 'okay' place to stay. You are definitely on the best beach on the island and the beach of this resort is one of the nicest on West Bay.
However my biggest complaint about this resort was that I felt like everyone at the resort was in some sort of clique and you couldn't figure out how to be part of it. Almost everyone staying at this resort was either French Canadian or Italian and you were hard pressed to hear anyone speak English. Or Spanish for that matter. The employees must be used to having a lot of French Canadians here because they all seem to be able to speak French. Also the owners cater very much to the Italians that come here (they even have special colored wristbands) and get reserved tables at dinner and lunch.
So when it came time to participate in any of the activities we couldn't participate, because they spoke French or Italian the whole time. There was one night where they had a music trivia night and we had brought our laptop to do some surfing in the wifi zone in the lobby. We heard the music playing for the trivia questions and thought it might be fun to go over but then realized that they weren't speaking any English at all. It wouldn't bother me if they were speaking Spanish as that is their language, but nope. So we couldn't participate.
Also the French Canadians on the beach were so LOUD, it was honestly hard to relax. They were yelling at each other from all corners whether one of them was on the beach and the other was out in the water. We walked down the beach several times a day and noticed that none of the other resorts had this problem.

The resort itself is fine, we got a really good deal on the trip so couldn't complain much about the resort. The walls in the bedrooms are super thin. I could hear my neighbors talking (and hear exactly what they were saying) and tell what they were watching on TV on both sides of the room. Our fridge made the most awful loud noise when it kicked in too. We brought earplugs so it didn't bother us that much but it's something to mention in case you have any light sleepers.

The rooms were clean and they were spacious. We ended up getting the furthest room out and it took us about 10 minutes to get from the lobby to our room, so if we forgot anything for the day - it stayed forgotten. My advice would be to ask for a 2nd floor room close to the lobby. We wished we'd asked to switch rooms, but convinced ourselves the extra exercise was a good thing :) The hammocks were nice to have on the balconies, we used them quite a bit.
There was a couple times when there was no hot water for the shower, but we were so hot from the long day that we honestly just laughed about it mostly. It is a developing country.
They ask you to put your toilet paper in the bin, not in the toilet. It takes some getting used to and some people I'm sure might think that's disgusting. But in the washroom in the lobby there was always someone in there taking out the bin. Honestly, it wasn't that bad.

We kind of compared staying here to going to camp as a kid. And like I said, if you get a good deal on this place and put yourself in that frame of mind (camp) from day 1 - it's a pretty fun time.
They walkways to the rooms are beautiful and although most people complain about the low lighting, I really liked it. We brought a flashlight but hardly used it here, except going up and down the stairs.

The food. Okay, it is repetitive. But we always found something to eat. The salad options are great and there is always a good pasta. The beef is always over cooked and chewy. But i would suggest going to dinner early, that way you know everything is fresh (because yes, the cold food is not kept on ice or anything) There are so many great places to eat right on our beach that you should never HAVE TO get sick of this food. Go out and enjoy all the local places to eat!
Pizzarama at Bananrama is amazing, so is the Thirsty Turtle. We also had amazing lobster at The Argentinean Grill.

A couple times during the week, the TGI dive shop at the resort would post $10 snorkel trips out to various reefs. We went on a couple and it was nice to see the beach from a boat, however snorkeling at the end of beach near Infinity is just as good or better. We went out for at least a couple hours a day. Just a warning: I got stung by Jelly Fish out on one of the trips and it was extremely painful. They gave me vinegar which really helped the stings, but keep your eyes peeled when snorkeling or get a dive shirt!

We never really got bit by the sand flies. I think I had two or three mosquito bites, but we did see some other people with horrendous bites, so might as well bring some repellent.

If you are coming to Roatan to party, I'd say don't. It is very quiet and the bar stops serving drinks here at 11pm. You should be coming to Roatan to see the island's beauty, whether it is on land or sea. The shows at the resort are always early and done early. (Kareoke, music trivia, fire dancers ect..) We liked it this way. And besides a couple little kids, at 29 I was probably the youngest person at the resort.

We walked to Gumbalimba Park (just a 10 minute walk down the beach to the right) and it was great! We went almost as soon as we woke up, so there was no one there and got a tour for just the 2 of us. They have a fake pirate cave, some history of the island, iguanas, macaws and the monkeys play with you. $30 excursion that was quick (about an hour for the whole park) and fairly inexpensive. They also have a canopy tour which is extra and some other water activities.

We did have a few problems with the front desk staff. We had walked to Serenity Spa one day and booked ourselves an appointment for the following afternoon. We then noticed there was a $10 snorkel trip and really wanted to go. So we asked the front desk if they had the number to the spa. The lady said that she could call and reschedule it for us as they do booking for the Henry Morgan resort guests to the spa all the time. We asked if she was sure and she said "No problem no problem, dont worry" She took our names and all the information and said she would take care of everything. The nexy day at 4pm we arrived at the spa for our appointment - just as it was closing to find that it had not been rescheduled and that they had waited for us the day before but we never showed up. It was our last day in Roatan, so we couldn't even re-book. We had looked forward to our splurge all week.
They also didn't put our luggage on the bus on the last day, along with another 2 pieces of luggage from another couple. Just as we were about to get on the bus, seeing our luggage still sitting in front of the resort we asked the staff numerous times if it was going to be coming, they said again "don't worry! don't worry! it'll get to the airport" When we got there we found the other couple that had also had their luggage left behind and we found the Nolitours guy and he called the hotel. It was in fact, our luggage was still sitting in front of the resort - the 2nd bus that was supposed to pick it up never did. If he hadn't called for us, we would have left without our luggage. They found a truck and drove the luggage to us.

After that long review, (sorry!) I would have to say, if you get a good enough deal on this resort and budget is a concern, this hotel will be fine. However if you don't mind paying a couple extra hundred bucks, we loved the looks of Bananarama and Infinity Bay.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
10  Thank hurley22

Reviewed February 18, 2013

We stayed in HM for 2 weeks and for a 3 star AI it met most of our expectations.
The rooms are very clean and in decent shape. We had a tub in our room which was different...
The biggest complaint I have is you can hear EVERYTHING that goes on in the rooms beside, below or above you. We had a baby beside us and though she didn't cry much she woke up around 6 each morning and mom cooed and sang to her alot.
Others had it worse as the french couple below them were very loud as they exercised all night long. Even security knocking on their door couldn't quite them down. This poor couple finally got transfered to a sister resort.

Be warned as others have posted there are mostly french and Italians at this resort. We found the french people very loud and they would push their way to the bar, food line ups and then on the beach they would all group together and speak louder and louder over each other. I found it very difficult to relax on the beach and enjoy a quiet nap as it was VERY loud. Ther was a few confrontations over chairs and security had to step in to break up a fight over chairs one afternoon. We never had a problem finding a chair but shade is at a premium in the afternoon.

The food was okay, salads, great soup and the basics. We did't come to the resort for good food.
The bar service was Fantasic! We slipped the guys a $5.00 each night and always got the best service. They DO serve wine at the bars, its not great but it's wine. We always got wine served in a glass and my DH would get his drinks in a nice glass too.One bartender would slip us 3-4 unopened beer each night if we asked. Treat the guys nice and they will treat you nice too :)

The staff is Fabulous. From the front desk to the maid service everyone is VERY friendly!

The grounds are very lush. You feel like your in the middle of a jungle. I can see if you are there when it's raining how the puddles will sit around. Thankfully we had excellent weather.

All in all the resort is fine. Not the best, not the worst. Staying at the HM made us realize we are not resort people. We will definately return but will rent a condo in the west end.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
7  Thank shastaEdmonton
Reviewed February 17, 2013

You will fall in love with the island of Roatan and the beaches. Especially if you are into snorkeling or diving! The Henry Morgan was just okay. Not horrible, not great. If you bring a good attitude and some bug spray you are bound to have a good time. I would only encourage someone to visit this resort if you get a great price. There are many other more desirable choices to stay on the island.

Quick Pros/Cons Summary:

Pros:
- The island is beautiful and the Honduran people were all very kind
- Amazing beach
- Great snorkeling and dive opportunities. You can take a boat out to different reefs or bring your own gear and snorkel at the end of the beach
- Liked the hammocks on the balcony's
- Lots of activities (I saw the dolphins by Anthony's key, Parasailed, took a snorkeling tour and did a day trip in to Coxen Hole and a bar night in West End)
- The staff were all very friendly and eager to make your stay pleasant (some had difficulties with English but you could always find someone who could understand your question).
- Lots of great places to eat out within walking distance
- Weather was fantastic and very hot (further south than most typical AI destinations)
- Dinner on the beach was nice
- I felt very safe

Cons:
- Food was tasty for the most part but very, very repetitive. They only serve meals at specific times, no 24 hour snacks
- The sand flies are vicious (not the resorts fault). I was bit from head to toe. Bring bug spray!!!
- The bar closes at 11:00 PM but there is great night life in West End or you can walk down the beach to other bars (usually a couple dollars a drink)
- The beach gets really busy on cruise days but there is a private beach for HM so it's not too bad

Tips:
- Do the night out in the West End, it was a good little adventure. Just be sure to be open minded as one of the night clubs is a little shady and will likely have some dirty dancing going on.
- There is a grocery store in Coxen Hole that has ridiculously cheap premium alcohol (I think its called Plaza Mar). It's about $20-$25 dollar roundtrip. We had fun exploring the main town.
- Sand flies seemed to be worse at dusk. Trust me when I say wear bug spray! I got eaten alive the first evening and it put a damper on my trip.
- Go with the expectation of eating out for a few meals. There are a lot of great little restaurants on the strip with good food at reasonable prices. It is a nice break from the repetitive buffet.

Room Tip: Top floor and close to the lobby (we were in building 13 and it was a bit of a walk to get to anythi...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
5  Thank CantBeatTheTravelBug
Reviewed February 15, 2013

Just returns last night. The staff is outstanding and is the only reason I would return. The food I gave up on and we ate out for all the meals. This is typical with all 3rd world experience..not a surprise. The drinks were fine. The rooms were suitable but do require some maintenance. Lock up your cigarettes...my husband had them taken every day out of our room. They would take the bottom pack out of the carton and you wouldn't know the difference until you got the last pack and it was empty. Also every day we returned to our room the back door was left about a half inch opened. We locked both sliding doors and it continued. We were on the first floor. Nothing else was missing from the room..just smokes. I was shocked at the behaviour of the French Canadians and how they would take over the beach and save approx. 50 chairs every morning by 7 am...that's unfair. Although a few verbal altercations made it interesting when they went off on the Italians as well. Completely childish behaviour form both sides and it was all about shade space and chairs...they were very funny about staking out their territory and would even toss chairs in anger. Lots of fun to watch. That is the only things that disappointed us in our stay at the Henry Morgan...the visitors that felt it necessary to be above everyone else..disgusting if not embarrassing.

Room Tip: 2nd floor..ground floor hears everything in rooms above you. Also no one will be able to sneak in y...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Moira L
Reviewed February 14, 2013

Travelled to Henry Morgan Jan 24 - Jan 31, booked thru Nolitours......Gonna keep this review short, I do agree with Lisa T, and Orilliaguys review.....Nice place for a 3 star....we had a room on the bottom, it is very noisy, you can hear the people walk over you. But besides that, the room was fine, first of all you are only there to sleep, shower and change. For those who complain about the room, maybe you should look for a 4 or better star hotel....maybe a third world country is not what you are looking for. Food was tasty, much better than Cuba. People very friendly and all spoke very good english. Just a little about a bar down the beach called Thirsty Turtle, be aware that they charge you tax on your drinks and food, we ask them why, and they said itssomething new the government has started. We then went to other bars and restaurants and asked them about it, they said there is no such thing.. so when you see your bill has tax, they are just charging you extra. There is a wonderful little restaurant called Beacher's Grill beside the Argentinia restaurant....his food is the same as the Argentinia and much much cheaper, and way better service and friendliness....we had 3 lobster tails for 15$, they were delicious....try it out, you won't regret it. For the beach there are sandflies, we did use the deet, but still got a few bites, not that many.....there was a group of us that went and we all had a good time, no one got sick....you need to go away with an open mind, or else your vacation will be ruined.......

Room Tip: request 2nd floor room.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
9  Thank Matinee
Reviewed February 12, 2013

I have travelled with my husband to many destinations. I am not a "princess" and do not expect everything to be just perfect when travelling. I realize by chatting with other people who were at the resort during the same time period that it was a mixed bag. Here is my experience: Upon check in I was given room A8. I had researched all review and trip forums so had a good idea what to expect. WRONG - this room was build upon a swamp and was tiny. It had a small tv and a king bed - that's it. The door opening up to the balcony did not lock. You could just push them open. I went back to the front desk and politely told them that I would not be staying in this room and to reassign me. They advised the resort was full. I said there are 2 planes coming in from Italy tonight (I seen this during my wait at customs at the airport) so just give me one of those and have maintenance fix the door and reassign. I got a very puzzled look. They were not rude to me in anyway just not at all sure how to handle my legit complaint. After a few minutes they starting trading rooms (other travellers who arrived from Montreal earlier and on our flight) were not happy with the room they were given. Needless to say nobody wanted my room after looking at it (can't blame them). In the end a couple agreed to switch without looking at the room - poor them. After getting to my new room I discovered mould covering my entire mini fridge door, mould covering the bathroom ceiling, a shower head that was so rusted it barely worked and an air conditioner that dripped water onto the floor from both ends. I had to use both trash bins for the week to collect the water. Needless to say the baseboards were mould covered due to the extensive water damage. During the week after walking by rooms and seeing their condition it was easy to see some rooms are much better than others. I guess it is luck of the draw - if I had a room that looked like some of the standard rooms I walked by this part of my review would not exist.

FOOD - breakfast - no refrigeration so the eggs for omlettes were scarmbled in a big bowl and left out at room temperature in a restaurant with no air conditioning. Fruit, bread, cheese all just on trays without ice underneath or any other type of cooling. I know first hand many people on the plane home complained about getting sick during the week and so they stopped eating the omlettes.
lunch - avoided the buffet - gross - unknown food items - the snack bar was okay - you could get fresh cuts fries which is what most people lived on.
dinner - after 2 nights where I could not eat due to quality and not having a clue what it was, we went down the beach to restaurants. All of them we visited had great food. Beachers, Fosters, Bananarama and Argentian Grill.

BUGS - be prepared to get eaten alive. I avoided the beach all week long but still managed to get over one hundred bug bites on my body. I used bug spray with deet and it still didnt seem to matter. I would actually see sand fleas on my arms during dinner. I have never experience bugs like this before. I can only assume the fact that the resort is built up from what looks like a swamp (stagnent water everywhere) that this is the reason the bugs are so bad. They do fog everynight with a chemical which is absolutely terrible for the environment. The guy fogging wears a mask and you have to run for it if you are on your way to your room.

If you wanted to get up early and do some snorkleling or sit by the pool you can forget about getting any type of beverage before 10:30am unless you go back to the buffet. You cannot even get ice for your own juice you bought at the mini mart.

The beach is five star all the way. The water is crystal clear without any rocks. The snorkelling is great. I cannot dive but by sitting by the pool everyday and watching the dive instructors teach it was obvious they are very patient, professional and run a 5 star operation.

The pool is very refreshing and yes the pool guy is there everyday cleaning the bottom of the pool. The problem is the entire surface is covered with little black bugs. I mean hundreds of them.

There were other small issues too. They ask you not to flush your toilet paper but instead to put it in a trash can. I understand that this is an island and their septic system probably struggles with hundreds of people flushing toilet paper, but going into the lobby bathroom and finding a trash can full of dirty toilet paper is just gross.

I honestly could not recommend this hotel to anyone. I would be hard pressed to recommend Roatan. I think it has huge pontential but just isnt there yet. I would say to spend your hard earned money somewhere else until they get their act together in Roatan.

I have no reason to lie. I read all the reviews prior to going and was not expecting 5 star quality. I was deeply disappointed with the Henry Morgan and could only rate this hotel a 2 star and that is being generous for the beach and dive shop. The room and food are not even a 1 star.

For those of you that absolutely loved the Henry Morgan I can only wish I was smoking or drinking what you were for the entire week.

Room Tip: Spend your hard earned cash at a different destination !
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
18  Thank Ilovetotravel72
Reviewed February 11, 2013

If they put you in a villa...RUN!!! I was put in VB4 and it was like a prison cell. My friend was put in VB9 and it was even worse, It overlooked a trash heap and had no running water! There are nice rooms, so make sure you request on of those!! It took 2 Hours for them to check us in and the service was TERRIBLE! They acted like you were bothering them when you asked how long it would be. I work in service and if you are kind and helpful anything is tolerable. Also be prepared not to sleep in, as breaky ends at 9:( And last but not least be prepared to get eaten alive by sand fleas. This is not the Hotels fault of course, but bring bug spray and just accept that it is going to be painful and itchy. Hope this helps anyone heading down to Roatan!!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Paradise Beach Hotel
Paradise Beach Hotel
#4 of 14 in West Bay
Mayan Princess Beach & Dive Resort

Been to Henry Morgan Beach Resort? Share your experiences!