“An honest vacation review”

Henry Morgan Beach Resort
Ranked #10 of 14 Hotels in West Bay
Reviewed February 12, 2013

I have travelled with my husband to many destinations. I am not a "princess" and do not expect everything to be just perfect when travelling. I realize by chatting with other people who were at the resort during the same time period that it was a mixed bag. Here is my experience: Upon check in I was given room A8. I had researched all review and trip forums so had a good idea what to expect. WRONG - this room was build upon a swamp and was tiny. It had a small tv and a king bed - that's it. The door opening up to the balcony did not lock. You could just push them open. I went back to the front desk and politely told them that I would not be staying in this room and to reassign me. They advised the resort was full. I said there are 2 planes coming in from Italy tonight (I seen this during my wait at customs at the airport) so just give me one of those and have maintenance fix the door and reassign. I got a very puzzled look. They were not rude to me in anyway just not at all sure how to handle my legit complaint. After a few minutes they starting trading rooms (other travellers who arrived from Montreal earlier and on our flight) were not happy with the room they were given. Needless to say nobody wanted my room after looking at it (can't blame them). In the end a couple agreed to switch without looking at the room - poor them. After getting to my new room I discovered mould covering my entire mini fridge door, mould covering the bathroom ceiling, a shower head that was so rusted it barely worked and an air conditioner that dripped water onto the floor from both ends. I had to use both trash bins for the week to collect the water. Needless to say the baseboards were mould covered due to the extensive water damage. During the week after walking by rooms and seeing their condition it was easy to see some rooms are much better than others. I guess it is luck of the draw - if I had a room that looked like some of the standard rooms I walked by this part of my review would not exist.

FOOD - breakfast - no refrigeration so the eggs for omlettes were scarmbled in a big bowl and left out at room temperature in a restaurant with no air conditioning. Fruit, bread, cheese all just on trays without ice underneath or any other type of cooling. I know first hand many people on the plane home complained about getting sick during the week and so they stopped eating the omlettes.
lunch - avoided the buffet - gross - unknown food items - the snack bar was okay - you could get fresh cuts fries which is what most people lived on.
dinner - after 2 nights where I could not eat due to quality and not having a clue what it was, we went down the beach to restaurants. All of them we visited had great food. Beachers, Fosters, Bananarama and Argentian Grill.

BUGS - be prepared to get eaten alive. I avoided the beach all week long but still managed to get over one hundred bug bites on my body. I used bug spray with deet and it still didnt seem to matter. I would actually see sand fleas on my arms during dinner. I have never experience bugs like this before. I can only assume the fact that the resort is built up from what looks like a swamp (stagnent water everywhere) that this is the reason the bugs are so bad. They do fog everynight with a chemical which is absolutely terrible for the environment. The guy fogging wears a mask and you have to run for it if you are on your way to your room.

If you wanted to get up early and do some snorkleling or sit by the pool you can forget about getting any type of beverage before 10:30am unless you go back to the buffet. You cannot even get ice for your own juice you bought at the mini mart.

The beach is five star all the way. The water is crystal clear without any rocks. The snorkelling is great. I cannot dive but by sitting by the pool everyday and watching the dive instructors teach it was obvious they are very patient, professional and run a 5 star operation.

The pool is very refreshing and yes the pool guy is there everyday cleaning the bottom of the pool. The problem is the entire surface is covered with little black bugs. I mean hundreds of them.

There were other small issues too. They ask you not to flush your toilet paper but instead to put it in a trash can. I understand that this is an island and their septic system probably struggles with hundreds of people flushing toilet paper, but going into the lobby bathroom and finding a trash can full of dirty toilet paper is just gross.

I honestly could not recommend this hotel to anyone. I would be hard pressed to recommend Roatan. I think it has huge pontential but just isnt there yet. I would say to spend your hard earned money somewhere else until they get their act together in Roatan.

I have no reason to lie. I read all the reviews prior to going and was not expecting 5 star quality. I was deeply disappointed with the Henry Morgan and could only rate this hotel a 2 star and that is being generous for the beach and dive shop. The room and food are not even a 1 star.

For those of you that absolutely loved the Henry Morgan I can only wish I was smoking or drinking what you were for the entire week.

Room Tip: Spend your hard earned cash at a different destination !
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
18  Thank Ilovetotravel72

Reviewed February 11, 2013

If they put you in a villa...RUN!!! I was put in VB4 and it was like a prison cell. My friend was put in VB9 and it was even worse, It overlooked a trash heap and had no running water! There are nice rooms, so make sure you request on of those!! It took 2 Hours for them to check us in and the service was TERRIBLE! They acted like you were bothering them when you asked how long it would be. I work in service and if you are kind and helpful anything is tolerable. Also be prepared not to sleep in, as breaky ends at 9:( And last but not least be prepared to get eaten alive by sand fleas. This is not the Hotels fault of course, but bring bug spray and just accept that it is going to be painful and itchy. Hope this helps anyone heading down to Roatan!!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
5  Thank Meghan K
Reviewed February 9, 2013

Travelled jan 31-feb 7 2013. Find the complainers are the first to reply. You are travelling to a third world Central American country, so have realistic expectations. Food was far better than Cuba. Real beef and chicken, yes it was daily, they tried it different ways but its what they have. Breakfast was excellent, made to order omelettes and never more than a 5 min wait despite the appearance of a line up the girl had 6 pans on the go at all times, no need for another girl. All staff were excellent, very friendly. Dive shop is the best on the beach! Pool always had many available seats, very clean, not sure what the other poster talking about, there was a guy vacuuming daily and hard pressed to find a single leave in the water. Not one power outage entire week, never ran out of hot water. Beach is A1 we walked down (5 in our group) to the vintage pearl, amazing food! And extensive wine menu. Yes the water is not potable, like most countries, so they supplied us with a couple bottled waters and had a few refrigerated water refill stations available so you had as much as you wanted. Great espresso and cappuccino at the bar! We all researched the resort ahead of time, and it surpassed our expectations really. Nice setting in lush landscaping. New decking between the pool and beach area with lounging areas. The water taxis for west end pick up nearby, and drop off right on the beach out front, for only three dollars. A nice day trip to check out another area and have lunch. Also don't miss the zip lining! lots of fun and only 5mins away! All in all a great base for a dive or snorkelling vacation, and the only resort on the beach with much happening!

Room Tip: Try for an upper unit, there is no sound proofing between floors so the lower units can here every s...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
12  Thank Orilliaguys
Reviewed February 8, 2013

Let me start by saying Roatan has the potential to be one the most beautiful islands ever, if the government would recognize the need to manage the garbage everywhere, and solve the water/electricity problems. The people that live here are lovely, friendly, and will help when they can. Learning about the country is important to discover why some things at the resort might be awful.
I too, have travelled extensively, and a 3 star rating usually describes the rooms, so no big deal, don't spend a lot of time in the room. Henry Morgan is below a 3 star rating in my opinion.
Henry Morgan needs serious updating and a complete overhaul. The lobby of the hotel is dark and ugly,bring your flashlight, you will need it to see in the lobby, even during the day. The whole resort at night is almost in complete darkness, due to the fact the electricity is one of the most expensive things on the island. Walking to our room at night, the lights only were on to a certain point and we walked the rest in complete pitch black. The pool looks old, and be sure, you will always find little black things floating on top ALL THE TIME! The cushions for the lounges STINK, and are falling apart. They jusy pile them on top of each other at night, do not dry them out, it is gross.
The only thing this resort has as a plus, is the beautiful beach, the ocean, and the centre that offers all the snorkeling and scuba diving excursions. Beach does have sand flies-lots of them,bring your bug spray and wear it all the time. Get ready at about 5 pm for them to spray for them, this ghastly smelling chemical they just start spraying about, and you have to run for it.
The food is terrible, same thing every day, breakfast, lunch and dinner, and in all the 20 yrs I have travelled, this is the only place I have ever gotton sick. Nice food is available on the island, just not at Henry Morgan's! Went to Bite on the Beach a few times for the most wonderful dinners, cause we coud not stand carrots served 3 different ways anymore.
I am a non smoker, and most resorts have smoking in designated areas and rooms, but not this one. If you are a non smoker you may find this frustrating.
Rooms were tidy and clean, house keeping is lovely, but the bathrooms need serious updating. We could not get our shower door open, and my husband had to help us get the door open after our showers.
Customer service.....it's like they are trying,but they just don't get it, and never will! Front desk staff are not warm and friendly, no smiling, no greeting.
Weather was hot, sun was shining and the beach was nice. So, that makes it a great vacation( weather), with a healthy dose of good attitude, chin up, and make the best of this place, cause we are stuck here for a week!
I would not recommend the Henry Morgan to anyone I know. It just feels dirty! I will not return to Roatan because of it.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank Jevin1234
Reviewed February 8, 2013

First impression is the place is a dump, upon checking in they make you sign a blank credit card slip as a security deposit. I found that very strange as I have never had that happen before. They will then give you the key to the safe and the converter for the tv. You then go and sort through all the luggage to find yours. When you pick it up from the airport it gets loaded into the back of truck and dropped in the entranceway of the resort. There was a bit of a mix up from picking up luggage at the airport, someone had grabbed my husbands suitcase and the luggage was similar to his. Lucky the leftover luggage was going to the same resort. It all worked out.

Rooms were a bit of a disappointment, old and tired looking. It was a hit or miss for hot water. The room fridge was tiny tiny. It had three water bottles in it and you had to refill these bottles all week. That was all you get if you lost them too bad. This was a pain in the butt. Always remembering to fill them and get them back in the fridge so the water would be cold. No water is safe for drinking on the island! All the ice is shipped in also. Lighting is terrible in the rooms but our power never went out.

The resturant food was terrible, the butter is not butter at all and is harder than margarine. There was bananas on the first day and then there was none, how does that work in a place that grows them. All I could do for breakfast was to eat some hard boiled eggs and dry toast. The bacon had a funky taste to it everyday and was always under cooked. There was a good chili sauce that I discovered later on in the week that was good on the eggs. There is a girl cooking omlettes or scrambled eggs but the lineup was always way to long, they need to get a second egg cooker. Lots of food in the breakfast buffet that I didn't try cause I just had no idea what it was. I was only at the resort twice for lunch and never tried the buffet lunch. They did have a some tortilla things that they made fresh to order with chicken, cheese and a fresh salsa. They were really good. Dinner was different yet some how the same every night. Chicken was always really salty but edible and the rice tasted like it was an instant rice. They served grouper one night and we were told later on that it is a protected species. Not sure why they would have it. Never tried any of the desserts as they just didn't look very appealing. Wednesday night is the beach dinner night and this just didn't make any sence to me. It was really windy and dark, we were asking for a light for the table but we were told that our server didn't speak any english. So they brought out all the tables and chairs for one night? It was a make work project thats for sure. There is lots of places to eat on that strip of the beach with some very reasonable prices. Beeches Bar has three lobster tails on Monday night for $15.00 served with mashed potatoes and salad.

The pool was empty and quiet as long as the dirty hippies wern't out there yelling and cussing scaring off parents with little children. Somehow a group of four had managed to offend everyone at the resort in seperate instances. I guess they didn't know there is a hostel on the island you can stay for really cheap. The one really raunchy foul girl, her boyfriend walked around doing damage control the entire week. (If you are reading this and you a the guy who went on vacation with her I want you to have a serious look at your relationship and think about what kind of future that could be with her). People at the resort were plotting to pool their money together to take her out deep sea fishing. As I have said in other reviews there is always at least one douchbag to ruin a good time. Other than that there was lots of really friendly people to hang around before or after meals and have some good conversations.

Now to the beach, absolutly beautiful. The water was really warm and the sun was hot. No reason to hang out in your room or the pool with a beach like that. Sand fleas were a pain but they wern't just on the beach they were every where.

So pack some sunglasses lots of bug spray and have a good time.

Room Tip: Don't bother, I reserverd ocean view and couldn't see the ocean at all.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank helooo99
Reviewed February 6, 2013

8 of us went Jan. 24 - 31 - all inclusive thru Noulitours (and got a great price too).
Not sure what the last 2 reviews are talking about. FYI - it still is the rainy season.......... also - it is rated a 3 star - so not sure what people realistically are expecting.
Keep your expectations in check & have a blast !!
Best beach in West Bay by far, staff are super friendly and accomodating. Perhaps if you dont approach them with an attitude .... just a thought, as we found them great.
Yes it is buffet but they change it up enough and we all liked the food and none of us had any issues. Went off resort twice to eat, great selection of restaurants on the beach for super reasonable prices, and once we had the plated/served meal that Henry Morgan offered at beach bar restaruant for dinner. On our last night there they put on a beautiful seafood buffet meal on the beach - they went to lots of work with the ambiance and it was absolutely beautiful.
Our only complaints - needs bettter lighting at night, especially the rooms towards the back end. Bring a flashlight. Also, need more places for cigarette butts, and chairs/table on the balconies would be welcomed.
We all had read the reviews & used 30% deet on legs in the day - not a one of us had sand flea bites. I did meet others there that did however they hadn't used bug spray. This is not exclusive to Henry Morgan but to the whole island. To blame the resort for sand fleas is really not fair. They are constantly raking to keep them down & do a good job with this.
We all want to go back & would recommend this to anyone. Just remember where you are going, keep your expections in line & you will love this place. There is a laid back, relaxed atmosphere that we all loved the most about this place.

Room Tip: get a king room on 2nd. floor , bring flashlight & deet.
Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
12  Thank Lisa T
Reviewed February 3, 2013

I don’t even know where to begin about this overpriced dump. First of all, let me say I’ve traveled quite a bit, and have stayed in many a dive hotels in my time, so I don’t mind “roughing it.” But for the price of what you pay at this place ($280 for 2 people a night) and the quality of what you get here, this should be illegal. First off, we were staying on the east end of the island, we tried to make reservations over the phone, but told they don’t accept credit cards over the phone. WTH??? They told us we could go to their sister resort to pay (Media Luna, which by the way looked much nicer.) We went over there but were told (after multiple phone calls) we could not do that. To their defense we called them back and they did agree to hold our reservation. On first sight, the place looks like a run-down dump…TONS of standing water everywhere as its basically on a swamp (great job for the environment, HM resorts!!!) There is a sulfur like smell everywhere and tons of mosquitoes and sand fleas. The reception is a joke…about ten people crammed behind a tiny desk, most of them with a blank look on their face doing nothing (except looking at their cell phones.) One pretty friendly guest very nicely told one of them that there was no soap in the men’s bathroom and she literally looked at him for a minute and said nothing. He said, “Oh, you don’t speak English?” and she said “Yes, I do.” She proceeded to look at another girl who also started blankly back at this poor guy. I can’t even get started on the gross lunch buffet…the restaurant is so dark and closed in and smells like overwhelmingly like Lysol and chicken- yum, so appetizing. The food was inedible and made me queasy. For any beer lovers out there, the brochure says they serve Imperial (ok, not bad) but when we got there they serve only Stroh’s beer. Are you kidding me?!?! No wonder they make a ton of money…who would want to drink that?!?! The lay out of the rooms in the hotel is confusing, and everything is on platform so you can walk above the swamp. We got a villa, and our room was actually not bad, though there is tons of wasted space with a huge kitchen that has absolutely no plates or any cutlery. The bathroom also has a vaguely sulfur like smell. We were so repulsed there was no way we could eat dinner there. We ate at a nearby restaurant, and the waiter told us “A lot of people from Henry Morgan come here because they are sick of the buffet.” Leave plenty of time for checkout because the system they have is redundant and antiquated. I wouldn’t send my worst enemy here.I would give it zero stars if I could. DO NOT GO TO THIS RESORT!!!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
#19 of 42 in Roatan
Paradise Beach Hotel
Paradise Beach Hotel
#4 of 14 in West Bay

Been to Henry Morgan Beach Resort? Share your experiences!