“Enjoyed Immensely”

Henry Morgan Beach Resort
Ranked #10 of 14 Hotels in West Bay
Reviewed October 27, 2011

I had so much fun in Roatan, this is the best place to stay! It had everything I expected from an all-inclusive resort, and more!
We flew out of Chicago, and the resort handled the airport transfers for us, so we didn’t have to deal with that headache. The room was exactly what I expected from looking at the pictures online. It was clean, and I loved the AC! Overall, we didn’t have any problems. The people there are polite and made us feel welcome, I’m sure if we did have any problems they would’ve been very helpful. The buffets were nice for breakfast, lunch and dinner, although we didn’t eat at the resort for every meal. We did explore the island a bit (ok, a whole lot) and we ate out at local restaurants several times. The food on the island and at the resort is good. Something else we enjoyed at the resort was the free drinks. The beach and water were very picturesque and with so much to do I never felt like I had a dull moment. We tried out the ocean kayaks, the beach volleyball and the snorkeling of course. There is a pool available; however we didn’t use it much. There are small fees for internet, but the idea was to vacation (not work) so we only used that once just before we departed. Roatan is a great place to relax and forget about everything going on back home. This was our first trip and we will be back again.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (1,492)

Reviewed October 18, 2011

This hotel is not all inclusive in the sense that the Rius and Dreams iare in Mexico and Punta Cana. This resort only has one buffet resteraunt and a grille at the beach. The grill is only open for a few hours in the afternoon. The buffet is fine in the morning for breakfast and Giorgio provides outstanding service. The bar service is average and they only provide selected drinks in their "all inclusive" If you order anything off the list it has to be paid for. Mary with entertainment staff took us on a walking tour and played bingo, she was very sweet and helped us to learn more about places around the island. There are good places to eat on the beach. We really liked Fosters that was right down the beach. The beach is beautiful and the security is very helpful. You have to pay for internet usage and electric and water is cut off two hours a day. No one helped us with our luggage to the rooms and there is no elevator. I may be spoiled by the other all inclusive resorts but if I go back I would definately stay elsewhere. Note: use deep woods off for the sand fleas and mosquitos

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Angie D
Reviewed October 9, 2011

If you are comparing H.M. to Mayan Riviera, Jamaica, etc. the resort is really only a 3 to 3.5 star, but, comparing it to the resorts in Roatan, I would definitely give it a 4 to 4.5!! It's really cute the way the rooms meander through the property and all the lush landscaping!! It is a very comfortable & relaxing resort. The staff, Gerson, Customer Satisfaction, George, Concierge in the restaurant, Marie, Jefferson & Roberto in Entertainment Staff are all exceptional people!! They made our visit!! The food was from o.k. to great!! I really enjoyed the little beach buffet that they set up every day at the Beach Bar Palapa, too. They were overbooked when we checked in, so they set my husband & I up in a villa. The villa was
not completed as far as the kitchen, but, it was very nice and spacious!! The regular rooms were very nice as well. For those of you who smoke, it is basically a "smoke free" environment. You can smoke anywhere outside, just not in any of the buildings, including your room. This is their slow season, so attendance was down. The beach at some times was almost vacant. But, we loved it because we got to have our run at beach locations and time with the staff. The ONLY negative is the sand fleas!! They are horrendous!!!!! Make sure to bring plenty of Off. Skin So Soft works well & so does Victoria Secrets Amber Romance lotion. You need to reapply every time you get out of the water. Oh.....and the water is absolutely beautiful!! The bay is very calm, little waves, and there are a lot of fish to see if you walk down to the wall. Great for snorkeling. We have stayed quite a few places in the caribbean & have stayed in "palatial" type resorts, but, if you are wanting to experience something rather "bohemian" & off the beaten path, this place is great!! We will return!!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
4  Thank Debi M
Reviewed October 9, 2011

I don't see why there's bad reviews, this place is amazing! I mean, it's a vacation, don't let the small things bother you!

Food. Yeah, they have three meals a day (breakfast, lunch, dinner) and they serve snacks throughout the day. Free drinks at the bars. Food is good, they usually have themed food. Like when I was there, they had a Mexican night where they served tacos, burritos, all kinds of good stuff. One problem with the food is the TIME they have their meals. If you aren't there between the hours they are open when they serve their meals, you are not going to eat. Breakfast is only an hour (8-9), which sucks if you like to sleep till noon. Dinner is not so bad (6pm-8pm) but I don't think food is a problem other than time.

Rooms...rooms are beautiful! I love them! I hate how they are so far from everything! -.- Like, you have to walk a lot to get to your rooms. They probably do this because of the events that happen at night (which are good). When I got there, my A/C was not letting out cold hair, I called like three times, and they came and fixed it! Room service is good, they clean well.
Bathrooms are okay. I saw some reviews where they say bathrooms are small, like, what the hell do you want, a master bathroom?! LOL! Bathrooms are no problem! Safe box is small, so make sure you don't take your laptops or a large device, if you do, make sure you hide it in your bags and hide your bags in the closet. I doubt they'll steal, they are all nice.

Getting there is a hassle. Why? Honduras has, if I'm not mistaken, two airports, if you're landing in San Pedro Sula, it will take you four hours to get to the ferry, then two hours on the ferry, (they will give you these pills for nausea, so dont take your own) and then like 1 hour to get to the hotel, but I'm telling you, if it's your first time going, then you will love the experience!!

Beach is amazing, if you look a picture and see blue clear water...is true. Free kayaking! But make sure you get there first, first come first serve. I also suggest you offer the officer and security if they want some drinks, they will then save the kayaks for you. If you do this, make sure hotel staff doesnt see you, but Honduras police don't mind. OFFER THEM FIRST!!! Dont just go up there and give them the drink! LOL!

On the beach, there's a lot to do. Volleyball, soccer, there's also like services all over the beach. Services to go fishing, snorkeling (which you have to try it, only $45 for like 6 people) a banana boat, it's amazing!

Pool is awesome!! Big, never to crowded. Probably cause of the beach and its beauty!

One thing I do hate, is that you have to go and ask for a towel with this "towel card" and you cannot loose the towel, or you wont get your "towel card" back. And vice versa if you loose your card.

Also, wifi cost money. I think its like, $1.00 per minute. But why have wifi? I suggest you cut off all communications and enjoy your time!!

Other than that, don't mind the small things, and enjoy yourself to the fullest!

Room Tip: Higher floors are a hassle to get on. The stairs are too far away, I suggest taking a bedroom on the...
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank Andrew H
Reviewed September 19, 2011

I got food poisoning at this hotel and they did not refund my money or even provide medical attention, in fact they didn't even care... I left one day before my check out day...I would not stay there one more day!!!

• Stayed: September 2011
Reviewed September 18, 2011

Our group of 13 visited HM in Sept for one week. The dive shop staff were excellent as were the 3 dives per day. Lindey is an exceptional dive master... couldn't ask for better. I read an earlier complaint about having to wade to the dive boat which was ridiculous. The water is 84 degrees and only waist deep. Come on! divers get wet.
The hotel it self has both strong and weak points. The rooms were clean and had plenty of space yet not all the lights worked, some rooms had flat screens some had smaller older TVs, some sliding doors locked, some didn't. I found the restaurant and food to be very good with a nice variety and great staff. My only complaint here is they were frequently 10-15 minutes late opening on schedule. Having 3 dives a day I personally did not catch the evening entertainment but others in our group did and enjoyed the "pop" cultured activities. The pool and beach were great but yes the bugs are unforgiving. The bars were disappointing. Frequently running out of items on the "inclusive" list. The bartenders could be rude at times.
Overall a great diving experience in a... not great but not bad hotel.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
4  Thank RPS080
Reviewed September 12, 2011

The Henry Morgan has the best staff on the beach! Jorge and his staff are attentive and he makes everyone feel special and welcomed, even the teenagers! The pool is lovely and the beach is incredible! The food selection is varied but not 5 star. The seafood night was fabulous! I loved to have a cappuccino nightly at the bar prior to the entertainment. The grounds attract numerous hummingbirds and parrots. Our son has a second floor vista to watch the macaws flying around the tree canopy,,,just incredible!,,! A trip to Gumalimbo is a must for kids of all ages! You get to hold the monkeys and parrots! We went mid morning and were picked up at the hotel and had our own private tour. Our guide spoke excellent English, was well educated on the flora and fauna and history of the island. bring water....! The room are a fifties through back South Americanian style complete with balconies and hammocks. The second floor rooms are quieter as the rooms are wood costruction. The cleaning staff start very early in the morning and you will hear them coming down the aisle and cleaning upstairs if you are downstairs. The cleaning staff are very attentive and efficient. Tip them well as they work very hard to please their guests. The Henry Morgan has entertainment nightly including a visit from some Garafuna dancers. It is lively and entertaining! The HM has a dive shop and you can take lessons and rent gear for diving and snorkeling. Don't lose your room key . It is an actual key! You can rent water taxis to take you the West end for shopping or bar hopping. The HM had a bus tour one night to and fro the WEst End with the staff. Thoroughly enjoyed the place and the staff was amazing! I wanted to adopt Raj!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
Paradise Beach Hotel
Paradise Beach Hotel
#4 of 14 in West Bay
Mayan Princess Beach & Dive Resort

Been to Henry Morgan Beach Resort? Share your experiences!