“Family vacation to Roatan”

Paradise Beach Hotel
Ranked #5 of 14 Hotels in West Bay
Ballwin, Missouri
“Family vacation to Roatan”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2014 via mobile

My family traveled to Roatan with another family the week of March 13-20 and absolutely loved the rustic nature of the island. We rented two garden villas which were perfectly sized for each family of four. We had air conditioning in each bedroom and main living space along with adequate cable TV channels. We like to cook our own meals and found the kitchens to not be adequately stocked. However we shared items between each villa and were able to make it work. The beds were very comfortable. The only complaint we had was with the water pressure. There were times when we got nothing more than a trickle out of our showers.

We had the bed and breakfast package and found the buffet to be fine each morning. A larger selection of items each day would have been nice, however like I told my friend I eat the same thing for breakfast every day at home so this is no different. We really enjoyed walking up and down the beach and trying out the different restaurants. We often had appetizers at the PBH beach bar and were perfectly satisfied. Aquino made sure our drinks were never empty and provided exceptional service. All of the staff at the resort were amazing and we felt very safe.

The beach was amazing. There was only one day where it appeared they were shuttling in cruise shop guests, however there were enough beach chairs for everyone to go around.

We couldn't have been happier with PBH and plan to return with our families next year.

Stayed March 2014
1 Thank Susan6786

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
King City, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2014

We just returned from Paradise Beach Hotel. We didn't have the all inclusive package but had a villa and the breakfast plan. We liked the resort if you like a quiet resort in a great location on the beach. The food was good - I really liked that you didn't have to search for a chair in the morning or any time of the day.
The villa was very nice.

Room Tip: The villas are very spacious. I like that there are multiple balconies and not high rise rooms.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Burlington, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2014

Stayed at this resort Feb 24 - Mar 10, and unlike the previous reviewer, had absolutely no issues with the food - it was wonderful and I felt, always fresh. A GREAT team of servers, always ready to please, always smiling and pleasant. THANK YOU FOR YOU WORK. Even the chef was available to chat with, and ask about his delicious preparations. The second week we were there, the chef decided to have lunch on the beach. Everyone loved it. They had it twice more before the end of the week. So much more work for the servers - really appreciated their extra had work. Was really fun having lunch/dinner on the beach.

Have never been to an AI where the company rep was so available. Catherine was always there and ready to deal with any issues. Thank you. The ladies who took care of our rooms were wonderful - perfectly clean. The rooms were on the small side but with lots of closet and cupboard space and the quietest A/C unit ever. Really appreciated being able to get a couple of Canadian channels.

The place is like big homes in a botanical gardens. Always clean. The beach was cleaned before anyone got there in the morning. TO THE OWNERS - please do not spoil this little piece of paradise by putting in a pool where the beautiful trees grow. I was very disappointed to learn this was in the plans.

The ocean water was crystal clear. Really disappointed in the bad shape of the reef - I guess with people not caring what they touch and destroys this is the result. The beach small but with lots of chairs. The good thing was - there was lots of opportunity to meet people and we ended up making friends with people from the GTA.

A special thanks to the diving staff - I am in my mid-60's and have not dived for 5 years. Had it on my bucket lis - "one more time" - and did 2 dives with them. Thank you Mauricio and Juan Carlos for you patience and and great service.

I must mention what really threw a negative in an otherwise 2 week perfect vacation. The first week, there was free WiFi at the bar - it was taken away the 2nd week. I drank my favorite beer the 1st week - part of the AI beers. Had to pay extra for it the second week. Some people were able to have free ice cream with their a la carte - others had to pay $3. Charge a little more a make this a real all-inclusive with free internet. This place advertised that they do not allow access to cruise passengers on their beach. The second week they were there - which made an already crowded beach area even more so. Communication to staff member was very much lacking. If we asked three different staff members the same question, they gave us 3 different answers. Not blaming the staff but management needs to do better training. By the way, who was the manager? - never saw him/her around.

If it wasn't for a few of these irritating things, I would give this resort 5 stars.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Olena W
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2014

We travelled to Paradise beach resort Feb 24-Mar 3 to celebrate me and my twin sisters Big 30. Our group of 6 loved the small resort! The Limited food selection wasn’t an issue; everything was simple, yet perfect for us. The nightmare started 3 days into our vacation when we individually started to feel Ill. My sister was first, then the next morning it was my turn, I woke up seriously ill. I was throwing up, diarrhea, Body aches, fever, I thought I had the flu :( after not eating for 2 days and not leaving our bed, I managed to have some bread and tea, but I could barely stomach anything after everything.

When we returned from our vacation from "Paradise", I still didn’t feel right, I was extremely dizzy so I went to the doctors to rule out any bugs and it turns out after a stool sample, that I did in fact have salmonella poisoning. It’s really such a shame because this place was probably my favourite resort I’ve ever visited! It’s beautiful there, the lush green trees surrounding the resort, the beach is truly paradise, Westbay beach is a dream come true. The workers are all friendly and were very accommodating.

I would love to go back, but the food poison issue really scares me. Before I got sick I actually enjoyed the food and I thought It was good, but after me contracting salmonella I question their food safety…I am a huge foodie, I cook a lot here at home and I feel let down that I put my trust in this resort only to end up sick because of poor food safety handling. I feel this incident ruined our vacation... I suppose I still got to enjoy 4 days out of 7 right? Happy Birthday to us! Ahh I also wonder if anyone else got sick around this time…

5 Thank FelicitaPersempre
Juan Pablo G, Guest Relations Manager at Paradise Beach Hotel, responded to this review, March 26, 2014
Dear Felicita,

Sorry that I took such a long time to reply to your review, but I wanted to make sure that we did not have any food safety issues. I too wondered if anyone else had come down with anything during your stay, yet to my knowledge no one else has or complained during their stay. Even to date we have not had any more cases like yours.

It is a real shame that you were not able to enjoy everything that Roatan has to offer. West Bay beach as you know is located within a Marine Reserve and snorkeling and diving are divine.

I hope you don't mind me asking, did you at any stage let our staff know you were feeling sick? The reason I ask is that we have a strict policy that must be followed when any guest is sick and always a doctor must be called. This is to ensure that your stay at Paradise is well taken care off and although we try our hardest to make it the best, we are ready for anything.

We hope you will return to Roatan and even if you choose to stay at other hotels, you will at least enjoy the best that Roatan has to offer.

Perth, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2014

Sunwing rep- Catherine
Never in all my years going to resorts have I met such an exemplary rep. She was present, helpful and always professional. No problem too big or small for her to resolve.
Room-
We were in building one on the first floor. The king bed was okay, we really had no view or balcony. We weren't in there much. Good shower and excellent chamber maid. Bring your own pillow if you can.
Food-
We thought it was excellent. Good variety, always fresh salad and fruit. The chef, Matias, was involved in assuring quality. He was also accommodating of my food allergy. Any complaints made earlier have been fixed. Love the picnic on the beach!!
Chairs-
Always lots at both beach and ocean.
Beach-
Spotless, beautiful. It is crowded on cruise ship days. Venders can be a bit annoying and pushy.
Snorkelling was great. We did run into quite a few jellyfish. Bring a long sleeved water shirt and something for the stings if you have sensitive skin.
Bugs-
Again if you have sensitive skin, they'll get you! Wash your feet before you go in your room. Take your shoes before you go in your room and throw them in the shower. Don't wear outdoor clothes on the bed. Don't bring beach towels in your room. Get a card at the end of the day. Bring the spray, oil, Benadryl and good luck. They bit some some not.
Drinks-
Okay, I seemed to have had enough some nights with no ill effects and a smile on my face.
Staff-
The majority had a smile and a kind hola. I only found the young gal at the beach bar grumpy and sulky. She seemed to resent her job. She was not sweet as her name means. Wait staff lovely, omelet guy, smile give him a wee tip, he's a sweetheart!
Overall-
This is a reasonably priced trip. It seems to have attracted "like minded" people which made for great company, many laughs and interesting conversations. Also a profound respect for the environment, few left garbage behind, wasted food.
Entertainment-
None at the resort, which made for quiet nights. There was plenty a short walk down the beach.

Room Tip: It sure wasn't 1404. We were hardly in there so no big deal.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Lisa W
Dear Lisa,

Thank you for the time taken to write your review. Catherine is a great Rep. and it is extremely rewarding to read the numerous positive reviews and praise letting her know that she has done a "great job".

Roatan is a great location and we are always looking for ways to make sure that our guests' experience is the best possible. At Paradise we are constantly improving and making changes, which we hope our future guests will enjoy and make their holiday experience even better. Returning guests will always find something new at Paradise, whether this be an improvement in the service, food selection, internet service or a new swimming pool, we continue to strive so that your experience is second to none.

We look forward to the next time you can visit us.

Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2014

Returned to this wonderful hotel for the second time in Feb for 2 wks. Bus ride took 30 mins on very curvy, steep and pot-holed roads. Roatan is not your typical Dominican Republic, Cuba, Jamaica etc kind of island. No glitz and glam resorts here, but you do get basic comforts. If you need 5 stars, then go elsewhere. Paradise Beach is a very small and very clean hotel, with nicely appointed rooms. Guests staying at the sister resort Paradise Oceanic dine at the same restaurants etc.

Room was nice, with deep night table dresser drawers, however a regular dresser would come in handy as some of the space in the closet is too high to reach easily. Everything worked well, despite water pressure being low most days. Provided with 2 bottles of water, no fridge replenishing as you are expected to refill the bottles at the buffet and bar. Beds are very firm. Our maid(s) did a fine job looking after us.

We had no issues with the food last year. This year however, there was a huge improvement with Mathias as the new chef, all of the food was delicious and individually tasty. For those guests on the AI plan, meals are eaten at the buffet. Early afternoon they set out a little snack at the beach bar for us AI folks. There is a decent beach bar lunch menu, and prices are fair. Once a week a-la-carte dinner is included at either Il Pomodoro Pizzeria, or Aqua Seafood Restaurant (beach bar location). On Fri night the buffet is closed, and dinner is instead set up on the beach, with live music until 10 p.m. Sat night is the romantic dinner at the buffet, along with soft music. For a change of scenery, you can always wander up or down the beach and have a meal or drink elsewhere.

Changes will be taking place later this spring with the remodeling and expanding of the small pool. As a result, the pizzeria restaurant will be no more.

Beach is beautiful. Chairs are hard plastic, and very uncomfortable. Great snorkeling, but less fish to be seen this year. Lots of tourist and vendor traffic, and it gets much worse on cruise ship days which are usually 4 times a week. No-see-ums, sand fleas and mosquitos are a problem.

Shopping, you don’t even have to stand up from your chair as all sorts of items are paraded in front of you. The worst are still the women offering massages. Make sure to buy from Milton, the “banana donuts” chap. His wife makes delicious homemade donuts at a cost of 3 for $5. Carlos (some days his cousin Elwin is manning the tables), is a beach vendor set up at the pathway to the Paradise Oceanic Hotel (next to Paradise Beach Hotel). Carlos has some very nice jewellery and wooden items similar to that of other vendors. However, it is worth a stop at his table because he also has 3 display trays of custom made pieces (many in silver) which are designed by his sister and brother.

The airport is tiny and congested. A duty free shop will be opening soon. Departure tax fluctuates slightly, currently at US$39.24.

Service was excellent from everyone. We apologize that we are terrible with names, and so can only remember a few – Marvin and Kristen, Mathias and Ermelinda; and at the beach bar there was Omar, Ever, and Angel. All of the Paradise Beach staff are hardworking smiling folks. Lastly, our thanks go out to our Sunwing rep Catherine, who not only gave an excellent briefing, but also went above and beyond her job description duties. We travel often, and have never had a rep that was as hands on and looked after “all of her people” as Catherine did.

We once again very much enjoyed our holiday, and look forward to returning next year!

5 Thank Mary I
Dear Mary,

Welcome back and we hope that third time will be the charm and you will find all the new improvements to your liking. We are Paradise are constantly trying to improve your Vacation Experience and we are grateful when our guests recognize and value our efforts.

As you pointed out, this year we are improving our infrastructure and service even more. The next big improvement will be our unveiling of the new swimming pool located within Paradise Beach Hotel. We hope to see you very soon and we look forward to your next visit.

Holmen, Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2014

Peaceful, easy feeling is exactly what this vacation was. My husband and I stayed at the PBH Feb 8-15th 2014. This was our first time visiting Roatan and we absolutely loved it. Having been to many destinations in the Caribbean, this was by far a stand out destination. The beaches on West Bay resemble those in the infamous wallpaper scenes. Ok, so....for the good, the great, and the only ok:

CHECK IN: All went so smoothly with our travels from the frigid frozen tundra of Wisconsin. Then, there was check in to the hotel. After traveling through the lush rain forest roads of Roatan to West Bay, we anxiously arrived at the quaint PBH, only to find that they did not have our reservation (that was booked and paid in full in October of 2013). The man at the lobby desk was very matter of fact, 'sorry, we don't have you in our system and we are full for the week', as if we were able to jump in our car and find a different hotel somewhere. After an hour of working out the details, and presenting our confirmation with Vacation Express, we were given a room. Quite possibly the worst room on the property...tiny with no balcony and the only window looking out onto a small drab area. The other 'window' was in the shower, frosted, and right at the stairs for all other people of the building to walk past. We asked for a room change, to the room we had requested, with a balcony so we could enjoy our morning and evening time we so look forward to on vacation. We were told there was no other room open for the entire week. Very little apology or concern given for our misfortune/their mistake. The next day, we were approached by a Vacation Express rep, Catherine. We expressed our unhappiness with our room, and also that it was our Anniversary trip. Oddly, Catherine was able to find us a room with a balcony for the rest of our stay. We were very appreciative.

FOOD: The resort has 3 dining options, but only the buffet is all inclusive. You may choose only one a la carte dinner for the duration of your stay...either the beach restaurant, or Italian. If you want to eat at the beach bar during the day, you will have to pay. The hours for the buffet were annoying. Breakfast 7-9, lunch 12-2 and dinner 7-9. Nothing in between other than a few small things put out at the beach bar at 11 and 4 which were questionable. They did put pizza out one day and it was great! Bring travel coffee mugs. There is no coffee anywhere but in the buffet, which is not close to the beach and you cannot leave with one of their mugs. We thought it would be so helpful to have self serve coffee available at the beach bar in the morning, but could not get it unless we paid. Also, bring travel water bottles. There are two places to fill them on the resort, and you are only given 2 bottles upon arrival. The buffet was good, but became monotonous after about day 4 so we strolled the beach and wandered into some other great places to eat. We chose the beach bar/restaurant for our a la carte and had the lobster... it was AMAZING. We chose this for our anniversary dinner and sat in the sand by the water at a table. The staff were wonderful, and along with Catherine had arranged for us to have a cake to celebrate. They all came out to our table singing Happy Anniversary and lit candles for us to blow out. It was truly a special evening. The chef did a great job on grilling the lobster, thanks DALE!!

STAFF: The bartenders were amazing, AQUINO especially. He goes above and beyond and our drinks were NEVER empty. We generally don't do shout outs to specific staff, but in this case it is a must because AQUINO, WENDY, and DANNY truly played a big role in making our vacation so special. The small size of this resort allows you to feel at home. Thank you AQUINO, PBH is lucky to have you! Most staff we saw were polite and welcoming, aside from the lobby worker the day of arrival.

BEACH: O..M...G. Gorgeous!! We are very much into our snorkeling, and the snorkeling off the beach at the resort was AMAZING. A short walk up the beach, and even better. We loved the quaint feel of Roatan, compared to other places like Mexico where you aren't welcome at other resorts unless you are staying there. There are bar/grills up and down the beach, and we loved that we could walk barefoot and choose a place to stop in for dinner or a drink. Each place has nightly specials. A very relaxed and 'homey' feel. The beach at PBH is somewhat busy on Cruise Ship days, T-W-TH but we still never had an issue finding a spot to sit. The beach bar was truly the best part of the resort. Palapa thatched roof and Bob Marley playing, how could it be bad? Only downfall is that there is a list of drinks you may choose from for All Inclusive. Other alcohol behind the bar you must pay for. The drinks were very good that were inclusive, and we had more than our share of Pina Coladas, Blue Roatans, and Margaritas! The banana daiquiri was another favorite. The resort grounds are beautiful and well kept. The sunsets are the most beautiful we have seen.

EXCURSION: We chose the Cayos Cochinos tour. We booked this in advance through West Bay tours, but it can be booked at the resort for the same price. We cannot say enough about this trip. The water in West Bay is gorgeous, but at Cayos Cochinos, it is truly an out of this world experience. It was like being in a dream. We left in the morning, headed for CC, and were able to snorkel for a bit. We then went to the island of Chachahuate. Here, the villagers made us lunch which consisted of rice and beans, fresh fish and plantain chips. We were then able to swim for a short while and boarded the boat for more snorkeling. We did wish that we had more time on Chachahuate, as the snorkeling was good, but much better off the beach at PBH. Staff was great and the drinks flowed all day. Truly worth the price.

Would we stay at the PBH again? Yes. We did tour the Mayan Princess and Infinity Bay. Both beautiful and with much better pools. The pools at PBH are always empty, we never once saw anyone sitting around the pools, perhaps because they are very small with little appeal. But, who needs the pool when you have the amazing beach? The other resorts were nice, Infinity was overpriced and not all inclusive. The MP was only a bit more expensive and was all inclusive with premium liquor (so we were told). All in all, a VERY good vacation at Paradise Beach. We will be back.

Room Tip: Make sure to request balcony room, makes for a nice place to relax in the morning with coffee (bring...
4 Thank ShawnandTracey
Dear Shawn and Tracey,

Thank you for taking the time for such a detailed review of Roatan, our hotel and the beauty that Roatan as to offer. As you quite rightly pointed out, Roatan benefits from being part of the second largest reef in the world and snorkeling and diving is second to none. I hope that in your next trip you get the chance to Dive in Roatan.

Your comments are very welcomed and you might be pleased to know that by Summer 2014 we will be inaugurating a brand new swimming pool, which will be befitting a resort of our class and location. No more will we read reviews where guests make note of our pool size, unless of course it is to highlight the vast improvement and design.

We look forward to your next visit and feel free to contact me in advance to make sure that we have no issues with your reservation and room selection.

Also consider these accommodations in or near West Bay
#1 of 5 in French Harbour
Tranquilseas Eco Lodge and Dive Center
Bananarama Beach and Dive Resort
Infinity Bay Spa and Beach Resort

Been to Paradise Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!