1,041 results
All reviews rooftop pool blue planet divers west end fish sunwing rep all inclusive package beautiful island cruise ship days hotel guests large balcony french key day pass henry morgan scuba diving nice resort lounge chairs local beer
Reviewed January 6, 2013

The Paradise Beach hotel is the older cousin of the Paradise Oceanic hotel and is being refurbished. New deck furniture arrived while we were there, for example. Service was uniformly cheerful and good, although some don't have much English. Everybody tried very hard to please and went out of their way to help. Brittany greeted us with a warm and genuine smile when we arrived. She and Kristen at reception helped arrange cars, tours and otherwise were helpful when I fell ill with the flu.
The location is terrific, on a wonderful beach. Snorkeling is a short walk and a short swim from the beach. West Bay Divers offers excellent diving with modern equipment and sensible, English, French and Spanish speaking divemasters. Our room, on the third floor offered the opportunity for exercise - there is no elevator . It was scrupulously clean and well kept by Jenny.
We found the food just fine and there was always plenty of it. There is always fresh fruit at meals and choices of meats and vegetables. The re-fried beans for breakfast were yummy.
Roatan is a developing tourist spot and they haven't got all the bugs worked out yet. If you go there, go with a tolerant attitude and you will have a great time. Take lots of US one dollar bills for tips. We tipped at the end of the stay, but some people prefer to tip for each meal.

Date of stay: January 2013
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
3  Thank diveryogi
Reviewed January 5, 2013

I spent two weeks in this hotel and I have no complaints. Big comfortable bed, mini fridge, hot water, tv and quiet A/C. Only thing is that if your after a more in the nature kind of room this isn't for you. But if your like me and only need a place to crash for the night I recommend this hotel. Staff is very nice manager is always there and willing to help. There's a bar and a pool on the roof, nice hiding spot to get some rays when the beaches get a bit crowded.
The food is average at best, but the A la carte restaurant is very good.

• Trip type: Traveled solo
5  Thank Patrick S
Reviewed December 20, 2012

They could make great food in the restaurant, if you paid for it!
As you only get 1 restaurant visit for the whole week. The rest of the week you have to eat buffet, selection and quality were poor. There was also no beach snack service.
Other than that the place was great and location was great.

3  Thank Triumphstagman
Reviewed December 18, 2012

Just back from a 2 wk stay at Paradise Beach, dec 3-17 great place to hang out, staff very friendly and alway's smiling,the service is great they will help you in anyway they can,rooms are nice, clean and alway's done early, we stayed in a suite it 's perfect if you want some extra room, beach-bar great service, and on the beach, snorkelling and diving is excellent, the whole place is like a nice little hideaway.
But like many resorts there is always something to complain about, in this resort it's the FOOD, sad to say it needs a lot of improvement, breakfast, lunch and dinner, first week not so good, after a lot of complains it improved a bit the 2nd week, we where assured before we left that changes were being worked on, and I think they will.
We still highly recommend this resort, we'l be back.
Stoney Creek. ONT

• Trip type: Traveled with friends
5  Thank 147globetrotter
Reviewed December 16, 2012 via mobile

We stayed at Paradise Oceanic from Dec. 8-15. And although we booked a room for Paradise Beach though Sunwing, we were upgraded to Oceanic upon our arrival due to renovations. What a pleasant surprise!

Rooms
The rooms at Oceanic were clean and much nicer than most places I'd seen on West Bay in the same price range. The balcony was nice, though not ocean view. But that's not really a big deal unless you enjoy spending your whole vacation on your balcony getting eaten by mosquitos. So for me, the lack of a view is nothing to complain about, especially since this resort sits right on the beach and has a rooftop pool with a breathtaking view. Most of the time we had the whole area to ourselves. Also, the rooms have flat screen TVs with American channels, cold AC, and our room had hot water. The only negatives were that there were no washcloths nor was there a place to sit our soap and shampoo in the shower. Still, not that big of a deal considering that most places on West Bay have only a small fraction of the amenities that Paradise offers.

The food was delicious, typical Honduran food. Several guests could be heard complaining about the buffet, but we had no complaints with the all-inclusive plan. We came to Honduras expecting to eat Honduran food and we were satisfied with every meal. My husband does not eat pork and they grilled a chicken breast for him on our first night at no extra cost. Other than this, each day there was something different on the buffet. There was always some variation of potatoes and eggs for breakfast with various other sides. There was also a good selection at other meal times as well. We never went hungry and only at out twice when touring the island. There were some mentions about bugs swarming around the food. Generally, I avoided any food that was uncovered. And it never upset me to the point of complaining to the staff or manager. However, I saw no problems with the covered dishes. There were plenty. I believed them to be an acceptable temperature and never got sick once. The all-inclusive cocktail selection was more than enough for a hotel/resort this size. Although we bought a bottle of our own premium liquor at Eldons for $17 (yes that cheap) before arriving in West Bay. We then had the bartender mix all of our drinks with the good stuff. The beer was good and cold too!

I don't really have anything negative to say about this place nor the staff. We booked a stay at a 3.5 star resort and got more than we'd expected. I don't think it would be fair to compare this resort to resorts in other locales, so I won't. I found Roatan to be an underdeveloped island with high poverty and few Americans. It's not as touristy as othe typical Caribbean island and the beach wasn't that crowded, even on cruise ship days. That's one of the things that make this place special.

That being said, I'm glad we stayed here. I would stay again. I honestly don't know what would have made many of the guests who were complaining happy. Apparently, Paradise isn't for everyone. We, on the other hand, could not have been more content. We typically do lots of research on trip advisor so we know what to expect before we go places. Whoever is reading this, I suggest you do the same. In our opinion, this resort excels. There's no better value in West Bay. Many places had AC but no tv, or a tv but no AC. Sime had meal plans and some didnt. We simply couldn't beat it.

Now, was Sunwing misleading? Perhaps. The shuttle did not pick us up because, coming from the United States, we flew in on a Saturday and didn't book our flights through Sunwing, only our room. But that is not the hotel's fault. So, I'm not going to downgrade this wonderful resort on account of Sunwing. Those complaints are best suited for Sunwing and not Paradise.

My advice is to do as much research on the Internet as possible so you are in store for no matter where you stay. And, if at all possible, humble yourself and enjoy Roatan for what it is!

11  Thank Puradiva