“Good value, great for families”

Mayan Princess Beach & Dive Resort
Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in West Bay
Hamilton Ont
“Good value, great for families”
Reviewed March 22, 2010

Just got back from our stay. We had the breakfast package but paid a la carte for our scuba dives and other meals. Spoke with others who went all-in on the food package etc, but it's not really worthwhile: the food is pretty average and it gets tired pretty fast. They go heavy on carbs for the meals and while yes, there are meat and fish choices, if you want nice island cuisine like grilled whole fish etc, you'll need to order off the menu. The resto is pricey for what it is, but isn't that bad. A nice big Mayan Salad hit the spot.

The rooms really vary--I've stayed here 2 times before. Some are sort of shabby and others are modern and sleek. My suggestion is to stay in the tower suite for a modern condo experience with nice open kitchen etc. None were available this time so we stayed in a poolside standard one bedroom, second floor. The private balcony with dining furniture was nice. (Note that if you stay on the main floor, people will constantly be encroaching onto your "private" patio.)

Our suite had a TV with all the US stations which was good so our 8-year-old could unwind after a long day of swimming and exploring. But my last stay, the channels were limited in my room, so it's good to check in advance if this matters to you. I personally don't watch much TV, but it's essential for my child, lol.

Dive shop: Mayan Divers. They're nice, reasonably priced, the gear is in good shape and they can take you out pretty much rain or shine. They can also help coordinate expeditions to dives managed by other shops, ie the Wainuka shark dive outfitters on the other end of the island.

Spa: Service is spotty. My body scrub went on forever and not in a good way. I was shivering throughout and there was a language barrier with the aesthetician, although there is a part time "helper" (whom I actually suspect is the owner!) who speaks English who can translate if you're there at the right time. They mean well, but I think as this is a new spa, it will just take some more time and experience for them to hammer out the rough spots. Everyone is very nice!

Front desk can arrange babysitting. They also help coordinate transportation, but if the timing on something is important--as was our getting across the island for 9am for our shark dive--you should get Anja at the Mayan Divers to help follow-up for you. Our 8:15 AM cab never showed, and by 8:45 the still-flummoxed front desk hadn't figured out how to get us there. Anja personally got us a driver within 5 minutes and was planning to drive us herself otherwise! We just made it!

Pros of the hotel: Good location (walk down the street to Celeste's Island Cuisine for awesome and superfast baleadas and free-range pet parrots); great reef within swimming distance of resort; awesome lagoon swimming pool; onsite dive shop; child-friendly; good breakfast buffet

Cons: Dinner buffet not great; uneven quality of room furniture; our shower lacked truly hot water even though the sink faucet went very hot! This was a bummer when I was chilly after a morning of scuba diving and wanted desperately to heat up; and the pool "hot tub" is also tepid--I spent the week doing a lot of shivering (this would be less and issue if you travelled during the hotter months, I guess!). But the pros far outweigh the cons.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (235)
Washington, D.C.
Reviewed March 17, 2010

This is a nice hotel. The grounds are immaculately kept. The rooms are clean. The pool is beautiful and tranquil. My wife loved it. She is hard to please so it must be a great place if she liked it. We had an ocean front room on the second level that had a nice porch where we spent a lot of time watching sunsets.

The restaurant is the best on the beach. We checked out some other restaurants in the area, but none came close. They had a breakfast buffet with a large variety. On our anniversary the head chef agreed to cook us something special that wasn't on the menu. It was a beautiful baked fish with papas and cebollas and chilis. We didn't know whether to eat it or hang it on the wall. We ate it. We should have taken a picture of it first. The only negative comment I can make is that the chef refused to give us the recipe.

The beach is breathtaking. There are tons of opportunities for fun from diving to snorkeling to rentals of various beach equipment like kayaks. The front desk arranged a fishing trip for us.

The pool is very nice. It has a bridge and also a cave where you can sit in the shade and chill. We spent almost an entire day just sitting in the shade in the pool.

The only thing I didn't like was that the walls were thin. We could hear the people in the unit next to us talking. What can you do?

We went during the off-season so there weren't very many other guests. It was quiet and peaceful. In December and semana santa or during cruise season I'm sure the atmosphere is quite different.

• Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
California
Reviewed March 16, 2010

We stayed from March 6-13. We had the breakfast plan. The buffet style food was not that great and even though there were servers you usually had to find a coffee cup on a table and go get your own coffee. Sometimes they were out of coffee. Resort was OK, staff was friendly. Beach towels were a constant battle. You get a ticket for a beach towel. When you return your towel you get your ticket back. We got fresh towels and they gave us smaller bath towels that we didn't notice. The next day we turn them in and they tell us those are the wrong towels and won't give us our tickets or the larger towels. I'm paying about 175.00 per night and I have to fight with them over towels that if i had them at home I would use them to dry my car, not my body. No sand fleas at all, never used bug spray. Paid 10.00 per day for internet service that worked maybe half of the time. The beach lounge chairs are kind of a challenge as you really want your chair to have some shade but the ones with shade are spoken for earlier in the morning. Then come the cruise ship people. The hotel has cut some kind of deal to them to where they reserve about half of the lounge chairs to cruise ship people. When they show up there are not enough chairs. I saw plenty of hotel guests very annoyed when they showed up at the beach ready to lounge but there was no room because they had given the chairs to the cruise ship people!! On the plus side ,about a block away from the beach is a great deli-market called Mangiamo that is owned by a Dane? named Frank. He opened it a couple years ago when he moved from New Orleans. His store is packed with good food, drinks, deli meats etc that he imports from the states. Great place .. http://www.roatandeli.com/. We ate dinner 3 nights at the Island Pearl and each night it was great. Chef posts the nightly menu on the beach. Wife had Duck and loved it. I had Kobe beef and loved it,Blackened Wahoo another nite etc. Their salad produce is hydroponically grown etc. Great quiet place for dinner with a good wine selection. Each night dinner was probably 100.00 for the two of us .Pricey compared to the other restrauants but we were on vacation. Snorkeling was the best I have had. Aslo had good lunches and dinner at Las Rocas and good lunch at Banarama. We will go back but will stay at Infinity Bay.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
MayanPrincessResort, Guest Relations Manager at Mayan Princess Beach & Dive Resort, responded to this review, July 28, 2010
Thank you for your constructive criticism which has helped us to solve some of the issues you mention.

For example, we have purchased several new beach chairs - very comfortable and in good condition - to avoid competition for the chairs between our hotel guests and cruise ship guests.

Your observation about the towels was also very helpful in helping us realize the inconvenience guests were experiencing. We wish to offer the best service and quality possible and have since purchased better quality towels in necessary amounts to be sure our valued guests always have access to a beach towel.
Winnipeg, MB
Reviewed March 16, 2010

We just returned from West Bay...amazing holiday. Snorkeling was the best I have ever done, unbelievable variety of fish and colorful corral. Only 1 day that was overcast all other days very warm and two days were 90.
I got a few sand fly bites but they are not itchy. I remembered a few times to apply Off with Deet at sunset on the beach other times I forgot. When we went walking behind Infinity Bay up the steep hills and alongside the other side of the island we applied Off, no mosquito bites then.
My husband got his first level of Scuba diving with the Mayan Princess instructors and thought they were very professional and knowledgeable.
We stayed at the Mayan Princess and thought the grounds and pool were amazing. We had a 2nd floor pool tower room near the reception area and enjoyed the privacy with the tall foliage in front of the patio. The condo itself was new and had everything we wanted.
Housekeeping was good and we never had any problems. Waiters were very friendly and helpful, service on the beach sometimes took awhile. Oscar the waiter was very friendly....
Good selection of food by our standards, no complaints. Drink selection was good for me however for my husband there was only 1 selection of Beer - Imperial.
Nightly entertainment was lacking but you could go next door to Henry Morgan if you wanted. We were in bed early as we were exhausted from the snorkeling, swimming, walking and sun....
We would definitely go back, 1 week just wasn't long enough for us...

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Toronto
Reviewed March 7, 2010

We went with Sunwing "all-inclusive from Toronto. We were one of the Infinity Bay group promised a Gold Bracelet (allowing you to eat and drink at other resorts and given a Red one where you can't even get a drink at another hotel but you can book dinner at another resort 24 hours in advance.

The hotel was lovely, but more like a condo complex with not much of a lobby. Aside from the double bed (just one) our suite was lovely. We are used to King sized at home so it was a bit of a problem for us The front desk was beyond helpful (they can't manufacture queen beds of which they only have few) and had no idea that Sunwing was telling people the rooms had Queen beds. SO IF YOU GO THERE REQUEST A QUEEN BED AS THE PLACE OPERATES DURING THE SEASON AT 90% OF CAPAICITY AND ONLY 20% OF THE ROOMS HAVE QUEEN BEDS. The suite was kept spotless as were the grounds and the pool. I would not ask for or pay more for a tower room (as suggested by Sunwing). The rooms are no more spacious and some of them overlook a construction site where they evern start Sunday at 6AM.

Lots of shade and chairs on the beach. Beach was clean and the loungers are given a good scrub once or twice a week.

The food was adequate but cold. If you went thirty minutes after start time there wasn't much left. So assume you will not want to eat there except maybe for lunch and breakfast.

Mixed drinks were good and the wine only with dinner was fine.

The location cannot be beat. Five minutes away you have the best snorkelling right from shore. Two to five minutes in either direction you can find gr8t restaurants. Be sure to do the "Monkey tand parrot hing" at the Gumbelinda park ($20) or the Mayan Canopy $5 (take water taxi west end for $3 per person and walk to the gas station (by the way the butterfy museum is there for $7 per person). Grab a bus from the gas station to the Mayan Canopy for $1 per person. You can zipline at both those spots.

Hope you have a gr8 time.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
La Ceiba
Reviewed March 3, 2010

Had a wonderful time at Mayan Princess. It´s right on West Bay so we enjoyed the gorgeous beach. The pool is quite beautiful. Service was great. The food was excellent, too. I highly recommend the ceviche.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Peterborough, Canada
Reviewed March 3, 2010

Mayan Princess Roatan Februrary 22, 2010 to March 1, 2010

Just returned from spending a week at the Mayan Princess in Roatan with Sunwing Vacations. Unfortunately, we too were impacted by the Infinity Bay dilemma and settled for the Mayan Princess, since we really wanted to see Roatan. I think recent reviews really sum up the resort. Having travelled to many all inclusive resorts over the past few years, this is certainly a different kind of all inclusive. After following the reviews closely I was fully prepared for that. From all the available hotels through Sunwing, I would personally rate the Mayan Princess the best out of all. However, after looking at several units at Infinity Bay, the Mayan Princess does not measure up. It is a cozy, small, laid back resort. Certainly more rustic as opposed to the ultra modern Infinity Bay. We had a one bedroom unit beach front/ocean view unit on the second floor. Even though when booking through Itravel 2000 only poolside units were available. I e-mailed the resort directly and asked for the beach front unit, which was promptly granted. Arrival at the airport, customs, luggage was extremely painless and quick. We were on the shuttle to the resort within ½ hour of arrival in Roatan. Front reception was also smooth and fairly quick. We arrived at 11 am at the resort and check in is not until 3 pm and therefore we not able to go to our room until then.

Due to the fact that we had originally booked at Infinity Bay, we were given VIP status and received a gold coloured bracelet. This permitted us to dine and drink at Henry Morgan, Las Sirenas, and Paradise Beach Resort any time of day. We dined at Henry Morgan, but did not like the cafeteria style environment. Las Sirenas is quite small and Paradise Beach is also just a few doors down. We frequented Paradise Beach as they were the only resort that offered a cappucino bar, which was located right on the beach.

Beach: Very clean, white powdery sand. Every morning and throughout the day, staff would be raking and picking up any garbage. The water is crystal clear with no obstacles in the way. Plenty of loungers, however very few umbrellas if you like shade.

Food: Only one buffet restaurant. I liked the fact that it is open air and there are plenty of chairs close to the beach. The selection of food is limited. I would rate the quality of the food average and having read the reviews previously, I was prepared for this. When looking at the star rating however of a 4 ½ star hotel the food is more that of a 3 star hotel. My concern was also food safety. Many items on the table with the cold salad items etc. should have been kept cool when they were not. Hence I avoided all those foods. There was always fruit, baked breads and pastries. There was no yogurt all week and the odd day there was cereal. The restaurant also has a menu you can order from but it is not included. It looked quite pricey and you are better off, exploring some of the nearby restaurants.

Drinks: Choices for an all inclusive resort are limited. Only local beer is included. There is a drink menu of about 6 or 7 mixed drinks. If choose anything else you have to pay extra. I thought for what we paid for the vacation and having been to 4 ½ star hotels in the past, where all drinks were included, this was disappointing. One day they ran out of local beer and would not even offer staff some of the other beer choices.

Activities: Mayan Princess is a fairly quiet resort. Since it’s owned and operated by Henry Morgan Resort right next door, all the actions happens at Henry Morgan. As a Mayan Princess Guest you are permitted to attend all activities there such as evening entertainment, day time activities etc.

Car rental: We rented a car from Budget, which was available right at the hotel. We paid $60 for a 24 hour rental and really enjoyed touring the island. Explored Coxen Hole, French Harbour and Fantasy Island. Also went to the new Mega Mall, between Coxen Hole and French Harbour, right on the highway. Probably the best and most modern store for groceries. Also inexpensive alcohol such as rum.

Tours: Went on an all day trip to the nearby island, Utila. This was a yacht and we were 10 people with a guide and videographer. The main purpose was to find the whale sharks and go snorkelling with them. Unfortunately we did not find any whale sharks, but still did two amazing snorkel stops and got to explore the town centre of Utila. Quite a different island and lifestyle, compared to Roatan.

Diving: My husband is an avid diver and had nothing but positive comments about the Mayan Dive Shop. Prices were reasonable, and the staff was knowledgeable and very friendly. Boats leave right from the beach with many dive sites nearby. On days when it was rough, divers were transported to the south side of the island to dive. If you are daring, go on the shark dive. My husband went and watching the video afterwards I was in awe.

I found people at the resort and the entire island extremely welcoming and friendly. I was also surprised how well everyone speaks English. Lots of things to explore on the island. The nearby West End is a small village with many craft shops and restaurants, most very reasonable. We liked the seafood at the Lighthouse.

Drawbacks: The masses of people on certain days that invade the island from cruise ships. One day, four cruise ships were in the harbour. The beaches are flooded with tourists and don’t seem to make the island very enjoyable. By 4 pm everyone usually has to return to their ships and things are quiet and peaceful again.

We will definitely return to Roatan and hope that Sunwing will keep up their direct flights. However we will consider just renting a place and do our own cooking, since it seems that Roatan is just not geared to all inclusive at this point in time.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Infinity Bay Spa and Beach Resort
Paradise Beach Hotel
Paradise Beach Hotel
#4 of 14 in West Bay

Been to Mayan Princess Beach & Dive Resort? Share your experiences!