Just got back from our stay. We had the breakfast package but paid a la carte for our scuba dives and other meals. Spoke with others who went all-in on the food package etc, but it's not really worthwhile: the food is pretty average and it gets tired pretty fast. They go heavy on carbs for the meals and while yes, there are meat and fish choices, if you want nice island cuisine like grilled whole fish etc, you'll need to order off the menu. The resto is pricey for what it is, but isn't that bad. A nice big Mayan Salad hit the spot.
The rooms really vary--I've stayed here 2 times before. Some are sort of shabby and others are modern and sleek. My suggestion is to stay in the tower suite for a modern condo experience with nice open kitchen etc. None were available this time so we stayed in a poolside standard one bedroom, second floor. The private balcony with dining furniture was nice. (Note that if you stay on the main floor, people will constantly be encroaching onto your "private" patio.)
Our suite had a TV with all the US stations which was good so our 8-year-old could unwind after a long day of swimming and exploring. But my last stay, the channels were limited in my room, so it's good to check in advance if this matters to you. I personally don't watch much TV, but it's essential for my child, lol.
Dive shop: Mayan Divers. They're nice, reasonably priced, the gear is in good shape and they can take you out pretty much rain or shine. They can also help coordinate expeditions to dives managed by other shops, ie the Wainuka shark dive outfitters on the other end of the island.
Spa: Service is spotty. My body scrub went on forever and not in a good way. I was shivering throughout and there was a language barrier with the aesthetician, although there is a part time "helper" (whom I actually suspect is the owner!) who speaks English who can translate if you're there at the right time. They mean well, but I think as this is a new spa, it will just take some more time and experience for them to hammer out the rough spots. Everyone is very nice!
Front desk can arrange babysitting. They also help coordinate transportation, but if the timing on something is important--as was our getting across the island for 9am for our shark dive--you should get Anja at the Mayan Divers to help follow-up for you. Our 8:15 AM cab never showed, and by 8:45 the still-flummoxed front desk hadn't figured out how to get us there. Anja personally got us a driver within 5 minutes and was planning to drive us herself otherwise! We just made it!
Pros of the hotel: Good location (walk down the street to Celeste's Island Cuisine for awesome and superfast baleadas and free-range pet parrots); great reef within swimming distance of resort; awesome lagoon swimming pool; onsite dive shop; child-friendly; good breakfast buffet
Cons: Dinner buffet not great; uneven quality of room furniture; our shower lacked truly hot water even though the sink faucet went very hot! This was a bummer when I was chilly after a morning of scuba diving and wanted desperately to heat up; and the pool "hot tub" is also tepid--I spent the week doing a lot of shivering (this would be less and issue if you travelled during the hotter months, I guess!). But the pros far outweigh the cons.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- An elegant Roatan resort on the island's best beach, Mayan Princess Beach Resort features waterfront hotel accommodations and service. Just steps from your luxurious condo, a white sand beach leads to sparkling turquoise waters, perfect for scuba diving Roatan's spectacular undersea gardens. Nominated for Honduras' Leading Hotel Award in 2007-2010, this Roatan beach resort offers a variety of vacation activities, first-class amenities, and beachfront restaurant. Welcome to paradise and comfortable relaxation in a tropical oasis. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, Orbitz, Agoda, Travelocity, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your Mayan Princess Beach & Dive Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mayan Princess Beach Hotel West Bay
- Hotel Mayan Princess Beach
- Mayan Princess Beach & Dive Resort Roatan, Bay Islands, Honduras