“Repeat Guests at Mayan Princess”

Mayan Princess Beach & Dive Resort
Ranked #7 of 14 Hotels in West Bay
Reviewed March 24, 2014

A giant thank you to those who made our trip -- like every year -- perfect! Maricella Welcome, Mary Ann, Reyna Fuentes, Damara, Shantal, Santos, Darwin, and we were so sorry that Engels injured his leg and was forced to return home for surgery. These are hard working people that make our stay perfect year after year. Please tip your caregivers! We were surprised at the number of people - obviously with means - that are just rude and cheap.

Room Tip: Beachfront condos are not all remodeled, but the location is awesome. We are not interested in the...
2  Thank Tracy D
Janeth T, Manager at Mayan Princess Beach & Dive Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 30, 2014

We are so happy to hear that you and your family had such a great vacation with us. It's great that we were able to meet your expectations one more time and to know that our staff was able to showcase the true hospitality for which we are known.I will be sure to share your review with all of them, especially with Engels. Thank you for your review and we hope to see you all again. Enjoy your day.

Reviewed March 22, 2014

My familly and I spent the first two weeks of March at Mayan Princess. This was our 4th vacation at the Mayan. We really enjoyed each and every day of it. Lead by Juan, who shows great leadership, the Mayan team goes to great lenghts to make your vacation experience very unique and unforgetable. Coming back to work in the cold was quite a painful expérience :-)! The hôtel has made very nice upgrades in the last few years: new furniture, new matresses and bed linens(similar to those you would find in boutique hôtels in NY, TO or MTL), new doors and looks, new digital safes, etc...The grounds, pool, and landscaping are always, clean and very well manicured. They now offer more options for meals with their San Simon Beach club. The buffet is ok, better than other carabean destinations, and they will accept with pleasure various special requests. Just remember that respect and politeness is key, wherever you are in the universe. This is a well secured place. Just need to remember to be street smart and use travelling common sense.
West bay beach is so unique. Whether you dive or snorkle, this little paradise will never let you down. But the most important value for the Mayan is their team. Always helpful and smiling, they make sure you are well talent care of. Many thanks to Mary Ann, Yen-who was instrumental to our great vacation-, Victoria, Mario, the réception team: Erwin, Maricella, Paige and others, Glenda and Santos for managing the F&B team, Engel, Darwin, John, Damara, Paula, Aster, and others, and Juana who made sûre our room was always neat. Spécial thanks to the team that takes care of the pool, the luscious gardens and the towels. Please extend my thanks to all of those that I might have forgotten. Hasta la proxima!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family

We are so happy to hear that you had such a great vacation at the resort. It's great that we were able to meet your expectations the fourth time around. I will be sure to let our staff know how impressed you were with their service. Your mention is very encouraging and helps us to ensure that we continue on this track of great team work. Thank you for your review. We appreciate it. Enjoy your day.

Reviewed March 22, 2014

First....WARNING....make sure when you book through Sunwing that you get the room you asked for. The catalogue is misleading....the day the final payment was due (we had already paid in advance) they told us that we weren't staying in the Mayan Princess...but at Las Sirenis...a hotel they aquired in the previous year. Our agent fought Sunwing but to no avail. Even she was shocked at what they did. They would not refund us nor give us the room we paid for. If we paid another $150 they would upgrade us. NOT!! We ended up with a small room and a bathroom. The room was quaint and clean, but not worth what we paid. It was in a quiet area and a short walk to the Mayan. We met a couple down there and saw the room we were supposed to get. Wow...certainly worth what we did pay (had we gotten it)!! OK...now that that's done...on to the resort and trip. FABULOUS !!! We had such a wonderful, relaxing time. The resort is wonderfully friendly. The food was very good. Good variety, lots of fruit, it was a simple buffet with one line, not all over the restaurant like some other resorts. On Valentine's Day they did a bbq on the beach, very romantic. They did another by the pool. We enjoyed both ala carts offered and they made us feel very special...mmm lobster! Our bed was very comfortable and the maid service was tops. The only two concerns I have about the room is: there was only one chair in the corner. It could have used a small table just to sit by. The other thing is....the entrance door is all glass. The curtain hanging on it was too thin, it allowed images to be seen inside at night when the lights were on. We did the 5 day/10 dive excursion. It was amazing. The Mayan Divers are very professional and they make you feel like family. The captain was extremely helpful with keeping me balanced and safe. They carried my gear to the boat each day...made sure I was taken care of. I saw many, many different spieces of fish, including baracuda, stingrays, cuttle fish, trumpet, cowfish and so much more. My first dive on the coral reef was so amazing. Our Dive Guide, Silvia, was extremely knowledgable and very passionate about diving. Thank you to the Mayan Divers for making my first salt water dive excursion a very positive and memorable experience. The day after we left, the Mayan Divers went out and expanded their business by adding another dive boat. Every morning we did 2 dives. We passed the bar on the way back to the dive shop, they always had our beer ready for us. The afternoons we spent either strolling, reading, relaxing, and/or eating. We spent one afternoon on the Zipline and touring the Gumbalimba Park. Another afternoon we took the water taxi to town. We gained new dive friends and met wonderful people. If you are looking for a resort to dive and relax, and is not over crowded, this is definitely a good choice. We left the resort feeling very content. Would we go again...?? ABSOLUTELY!! We will be bringing friends with us too !!

Room Tip: Room was nice...just make sure you read "through" the catalogue from Sunwing.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Beanster11
Reviewed March 21, 2014

We booked this resort for our Honeymoon. we booked a queen room with a pool side room. We got neither. We got a room with no air and we waited 3 hours for it,then we had to move the bed was a double it was behind a wall. The food was always cold on the buffet line. We wanted to do a sunset wedding when we got there. That was a joke. We a appointment the lady was 4 hours late showing up. Then she never got back with us and she was the activity person at the resort. It was a bad stay all the way around!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Stay away from the condos
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Bill M
Reviewed March 20, 2014

My husband and I went to Roatan Feb.26-March 12/14 with 3 kids (16,13,10) and a friend and his 10 year old son. So after much research we decided to stay at Mayan Princess. I booked this resort back in September/13 and was extremely disappointed to find that we had been moved over to the Las Sirenis without my knowledge. I had read lots of reviews regarding the rooms at Las Sirenis compared to the Mayan and was pretty worried. Make sure that you read your info very carefully. If it says "Mayan Beach section" - you are in Las Sirenis.
We were in a 2 bedroom 2 bathroom oceanfront condo and I have to say it is the most beautiful room! Mind you they are quite expensive but very nice! I was so relieved, as who wants to spend 2 weeks in a terrible room?? Anyway, our friend whom came with us was also bumped to Las Sirenis. Once I seen his room, I knew exactly what people were complaining about. His room was just a regular room pool view. When you open the door the bed is right there and then there is a bathroom as well. The fridge in these rooms is smaller than an actual bar fridge so if you want to buy water or drinks and keep them in your room you would only be able to fit 3 or so bottles in it. The room is pathetic for what you are paying for. It is about 1/4 the size of a best western hotel room - seriously.
We met friends down there - Hello Carol and Dave! and they initially were put over in Las Sirenis but complained enough that they were moved to Mayan Princess side. I got to see first hand what a poolview room on that side looks like. They are amazing! There is no comparison. It has a full kitchen and a separate living area and also a wonderful balcony. The rooms are very nice. Then you go back to Las Sirenis and my friend with the son couldn't even read a book or watch Tv after his son went to bed because they were just in a small room. My advise is to make sure that your travel agent does their job and books the rooms that you want or to make sure you contact the hotel directly. Having said that I was extremely happy with our 2 bedroom oceanfront condo but if I was my friend I would have raised hell over their room.
As far as the location/ grounds the hotel was spectacular. You are pretty much right in the center of Westbay beach. After walking into other resorts to compare I say that we were at the nicest one. The rooms all have individual hedges that are their walkways so you feel very private on your pathway to your room. Very manicured grounds. This is by far the most beautiful place we have ever been. Whomever said St. Lucia was the most beautiful, romantic destination has obviously not been to Roatan as we have been to both and Roatan kicks butt! It is unbelievable.
We decided to go with the all inclusive as we have 3 kids that all want slushie drinks as well as mom and dad! Be prepared! There is an all inclusive and then there is the premium all inclusive. I knew about premium prior to when I contacted the hotel directly regarding our rooms, but decided for $25/day per person per day that it was not worth it. We didn't care about grey goose vodka or what ever. HOWEVER...once we got there we went to get a drink right away and they past us a little sheet stating these are the all inclusive drinks and there is about 12 drinks on there. So then if you only drink vodka or rum or tequila you are down to about 4 drinks as there are about 3 or 4 drinks per each hard liquor. After the 3rd or 4th day we were starting to feel that we should have bought the premium, as we were there for 14 days! We did end up upgrading but only my husband and myself the last 3 days we were there. Frustrating when you can't get all the drinks. There is a separate drink selection menu for the premium and it is a huge list. Originally I had thought it was for the ritzy hard liquor only but the premium isn't just top shelf it has about 30 drinks that you don't have on the all inclusive.
The 2 restaurants there are quite good food. The service was great - Thanks Glenna and Angel! I had read mixed reviews on the buffet prior to going and now I see why. The food on the buffet was always flavorful but not alot of selection. This is the smallest buffet I have ever been to with about 4-6 hot dishes and then 3 kinds of fruit (watermelon, papaya, and pineapple). A salad and maybe a cake or cupcakes for dessert. Very repetitive. However Gerry at the omelette station is amazing and did superb on the eggs. Such a sweet guy - I enjoyed seeing him every morning! This being said I would not hesitate for the next time to stay in this resort but not do the all inclusive as we ate out the whole last week. A waste of $$$!! There are always something going on at the different resorts on westbay beach from movie night on the beach and 2 for 1 pizza at Bananaramas to crab races at captain morgans. Never did we feel unsafe here and as some locals said westbay beach is the safest place to be on the island because of all the security on the beach for their resorts.
My husband and 2 girls dive and they went to Bananarama. They were excellent and very safe. Marco went with them as before we left I had read many great reviews about Marco and really wanted the kids to go with him on their very first dives. Marco is so sweet and nice that he changed his schedule around so that he could take them out. The groups there are small maybe 6 or 7 max per boat.Snorkeling here is amazing too!
As far as the cruise ships, they came in on Tues-Friday and never did this cause a problem for us. You can tell the beach is a bit more crowded but never was it to much. The vendors are funny. They will walk up and down the beach 100 times a day and ask you every single time. They are polite when you say no but we were joking we would make a killing selling signs saying "NO". Be careful not to talk to a few vendors for the same thing. My daughters wanted to get their hair braided. Wherever we have gone in the past they like to barter a bit and see whom is the cheapest. Well here they started a fight on the beach between 2 vendors because one had dibbs on her from previously talking to her.Security from our hotel quickly came and pushed them down towards the water to get them away from us. Quite a shocker but this is how they put food on their tables so be mindful! Water taxi rides to West End are $3 each per one way. We also met 2 really great guys who own their own boat at the dock on west bay beach - John and Patrick. They are really nice and very fair. Never did we feel ripped off and when we booked an outing with them they always showed up on time. We did it all with them from snorkeling the ship wreck, dolphins, ziplining, blue channel snorkeling tour as well as deep sea fishing. Go see them as they are very honest and hilarious!!.
Overall this was probably the best holiday destination I have been to. The hotel was fantastic and our 2 bedroom oceanfront condo was amazing. Although I would have been really pissed had we stayed in just a normal room at the Las Sirenis part. Make surewhen booking you know what you are going to get. Don't rely on the sunwing rep here as he is pathetic. We tried to ask for upgrading and he was very rude - interrupting me in mid sentence to say hi to another couple as well he wouldn't even come to the front desk with me and told me to go on my own and ask for Juan the manager. I am not sure but the last time I looked the sunwing reps job is to be the go between between the sunwing guests and the hotel and to make sure that the guests are all ok. He marched around the resort with his chest puffed out and did nothing to help any of the guests that I seen. He needs to remember what his job is instead of sitting in the bar and pointing to the front desk to tell people do it yourselves. Ridiculous. Although if you do your homework, everything should be great and you won't need the rep or lack there of.
Heard lots about bugs so I packed everything you could think of. My one daughter had 2 bites and that was it. The kids made sand castles on the beach after dark and never a problem. With that being said, we loved the island and the people and can't wait to return. Bob and Sheri

Room Tip: Do not stay at Las Sirenis - Mayan beach section in a regular poolview room unless the cost is way c...
4  Thank Taylor H
Reviewed March 20, 2014

Great hotel, staff and front desk reception. Food mas great! Recomended monkey lala roatan coctail. Heavy sun anx cristal clear water. Good place for relaxing and enjoying a hood time... Activities that i recommend parasailing, snorkling. Another thing i thought it was a great deal the all inclusive mayan princess las sirenas package

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank EnriqueOrtez

Thank you for your great review of Las Sirenas by Mayan Princess. We strive to offer the best in service with a friendly, relaxing environment and it’s great that this was the case during your stay. We are happy to see that you had a lot of fun parasailing and snorkeling. It's a great experience!
We hope to see you again. Enjoy your day.

MAYAN PRINCESS..RESORT!!

is not your typical resort. You feel like you become part of a family from the minute you arrive. The greeting at check-in is heartfelt with a tasty beverage.!!!!!
Absolutely wonderful vacation! My husband and I..had some fantastic chill time. This place is truly paradise.We spent four days there and were really pleased with our whole experience! Each room is complete with a full kitchen, balconies, views, and comfortable amenities. The Palapa Bar is a fun place to hang out with good drinks and food. Loved the staff! Everyone was friendly,especially IVAN CARDUCCI .. knew you by name and went out of their way to make sure you are having a great experience.
We would recommend this hotel to everyone!!!

can wait to can back.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for your review. We appreciate it. It's great to know that you had such a great time at the resort, especially a the Palapa Bar ( excellent place to relax and enjoy the beach view ). Our staff is one of a kind and it's always a pleasure to serve. We hope to see you again. Enjoy your day.

Also consider these accommodations in or near West Bay
Parrot Tree Beach Resort
Parrot Tree Beach Resort
#1 of 1 in First Bight
Infinity Bay Spa and Beach Resort

Been to Mayan Princess Beach & Dive Resort? Share your experiences!