“Tropical Disappointment”

Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in West Bay
Los Angeles, California
“Tropical Disappointment”
Reviewed July 11, 2013

First, let me respond to Janeth T, Manager at Mayan Princess Beach & Dive Resort. Your response to the review below, from my wife is insulting and contradicts what your staff told us during our stay. I don't care that other guests boasted about the renovated rooms they were luck y to have, ours was not. Please see the pictures below. I expressed my concerns a couple of times regarding the noise, and I was assured by both Jenn, Activities Directory, and Fernando, Manager, that it was a quiet week at the hotel and previous complaints/concerns about noise were during Spring Break and a motorcycle event. Yes the music stopped at 10pm everyday, but until then, the bass reverberated on the wall and made our room feel like we were in a club. Yes, the grounds are very nice with a beautiful pool. It is unfortunate that their was no quiet section for adults only , as there were many children having fun, but were being children and not the peace and quiet we were looking for.

Regarding the condition of the room, maintenance promptly responded to our requests, though we NEVER had a hot shower and even the water flow was sporadic. Other issues like broken curtains or dead light bulbs, shouldn't your cleaning crew notice and report that before new guests check in?

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
26 Thank NOSNED

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (234)
Los Angeles
Reviewed July 9, 2013

My husband and I were very disappointed by this hotel especially after reading all the positive reviews. We had contacted the hotel in advance requesting a quiet room. We paid for a beach front room and to be honest it was not cheap. When we arrived we once again stated that we had contacted the hotel and reserved a quiet room ...should have realized that something was up when the person checking us in smirked ... We were taken to our room, number 230, and quickly realized that we were put in a room that was right next to another hotel. At first it was fine though the room was not what we expected .. It was run down , poorly painted with holes in the walls and areas that were patched up...the curtains fell down when we tried to open them and I had to rearrange the furniture to have access to the safe and closet. The fridge was rusted and dirty and the shower curtains contained so much soap scum it made you not want to shower. We are not picky... We have travelled through out the world and have stayed in many different accommodations and we always put into perspective what we paid and in this case the quality of the accommodations did not justify the price. The hotel next door starts to play music around late afternoon and you can hear every loud techno beat in the room making it impossible to relax. They stop playing at 10 pm... It was worse on karaoke night. We had issues with our shower and no hot water....had to have maintance come out numerous times and never did it get fixed properly...then we had water flow issues ..again never truly getting fixed as well as toilet issues. We did talk to the manager but to no avail. Our motto is to let it go and enjoy the vacation regardless of the issues with the hotel. We did not use the pool mainly due to the kids who were running around with no adult supervision... The ocean was beautiful and I highly recommend an early morning swim. We did not participate in the all inclusive so I can't comment on the food but we did have breakfast there as it was included and it was just so so. On the last day the manager did apologize as we once again informed him the shower did not work and he offered us lunch on the house. The employees were nice yet that didn't make up for all the issues... I would not recommend this resort to anyone and am simply perplexed by all the positive reviews.

Room Tip: Do not stay in room 230!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
12 Thank Ilovetotravel1966
Janeth T, Manager at Mayan Princess Beach & Dive Resort, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We are very happy to read that you enjoyed our gorgeous and beautiful beach and your recommendation for an early morning swim. I'm glad that our staff was able to make your stay enjoyable, even though it was a busy and loud week as the Roatan Moto Fest was going on at the resort. We regret to hear that we did not meet quite your expectations for quality. We have many guests who feel the direct opposite and have boasted of our new accommodations. However, as hoteliers we realize that there is always room for improvement and feedback is crucial in this process so we thank you again for your review. We hope you can give us the opportunity to see you again in the future and exceed your expectations. We wish you the very best.

Montreal, Canada
Reviewed July 3, 2013

Well ..as i have said b4... No words can describe Roatan and the Mayan Princess hotel.my 2nd time here and will go back. The renovations that have been one to the rooms..beautiful...the site itself..gorgeous and the staff ...you cannot find more nicer people . I still keep in touch with them..that is how close you get . A big thanks starting with the hotel manager Juan...beautiful person..inside and out. Damara,Glenda,Jonathan,Gerardo..cook, Tommy,Elizabeth/cashier,Danny,Johan,and Darwin...you are all amazing people, helpful and always went out of your way to make our stay more pleasurable.always keep on smilin..that is what makes your Charisma,especially Glenda and Damara. The beach...well you cannot ask for more..food amazing.
I will surely be back and miss you all.

Lucy and Joss
Montreal

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank starfish1213
Janeth T, Manager at Mayan Princess Beach & Dive Resort, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
We are so happy to hear that you had another great vacation with us. It's great that we were able to meet your expectation the second time around. I will be sure to send this post to our staff. They all will be happy to see your review. Thank you for your excellent review and we hope to see you for a third time!

Cheers!
Mount Vernon, Washington
Reviewed June 27, 2013

After reading all the other reviews here we thought this hotel was going to be wonderful. To sum it up in just two words: It Wasn't!!! So if you're thinking about booking this hotel, beware!

We had problems with the Mayan Princess from the very first, starting with their web site. It wasn't working properly and we couldn't see the availability or prices. We finally had to resort to sending them an email in order to book. Although Dyrla was very helpful with this, we were never able to print out any of the confirmation documents she sent us. They were Adobe pdf files and every time we tried to open them we were told that they were corrupted. We had her resend numerous times always with the same results.

When we arrived at the hotel the front desk clerk checked us in and didn't give us any information such as the location of the restaurants, hours of operation or any other useful information that hotels normally give their guests. There was no hotel directory in the room so we had to go back and ask each time we had a question.

There was no bellboy when we arrived, so they sent us off to our room and told us one would bring our luggage later. We waited and waited and no one showed up so I decided to go to the front desk to see what happened and discovered that the bellboy had brought the bags and deposited them outside our room without knocking and without bringing them inside.

Next we went outside to the pool and sat inside of one of their covered cabanas for a while only to find that it was infested with biting bugs that left big red blotches all over our legs.

The staff was not very attentive. They didn't smile or greet people and they acted like it was a bother when we stopped them to ask them questions.

The paint in the room was dirty and smudged and was badly in need of a new paint job, which made it look dirty and run down. The towels were the cheapest I think I've ever seen in a hotel. They were so worn and threadbare that you could practically see through them. The bathroom smelled like a public bathroom.

Later on we went to one of the restaurants for dinner. The service was poor, the food was expensive and mediocre at best.

After we retired to our beds for the night, loud music started in the bar, which was very noticeable in our room. It went on into the wee hours of the morning making it nearly impossible to sleep. To make matters worse, there was some sort of Harley Davidson convention going on right behind our room and motorcyclists were starting and revving up their motorcycles all night long.

The breakfast bar was mediocre and the service was terrible. Employees were leaning over the food and eating along with the guests. It was not a very cleanly environment.

By that time we'd had enough. We went to the front desk and asked to see the manager, who didn't even bother to com out and speak with us. Instead, he sent one of his lackeys to deal with us. We explained our displeasure with the hotel and told them we wanted to cancel the rest of our stay with them. The person we were speaking to went in and spoke at length with the manager, who still never came out to talk with us, and when he came back he said that they had agreed to cancel our reservation and would refund us our money. After much insisting, the hotel provided us with a written letter signed by the manager indicating that we would have our money refunded and how much. We just got back from our vacation yesterday and it has now been twelve days since the hotel promised to refund our money and it still has not been posted to our credit card, which means that we're now going to have to call our credit card company and let them deal with them.

This hotel was a nightmare. It charges five star prices when its service barely comes up to two star standards. They have a lot to learn about customer service. Think twice before booking this hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
9 Thank vern C
Pine, Arizona
Reviewed June 22, 2013

My wife and I just returned from 6 days at the Mayan Princess. The reason for the trip was her 60th birthday and my new friend Dyrla at the front desk had cooked up a little surprise for her via email prior to our arrival. Thanks to Dyrla, It all worked out great with help and more fun from Jenn

I like to end on a high note, so I will cover the caveats now:
* Beachfront condos and rooms directly behind them are great but do NOT stay in one next to San Simon! San Simon is a restaurant (never really saw people eating there) and "club." For those of you who remember Waco and the Branch Dividians and how music was played 24/7 to try and oust them, this is pretty much what your stay would be like if you were there anytime Friday-Sunday. And maybe other times, depending on social events. I cant begin to describe the music but I wouldnt call it music. Being in your room with San Simon playing their music might be equivalent to being in an MRI machine but with a much deeper bass sound pounding. You simply cant get away from it. It was so bad I actually requested to be moved. Dyrla (again) was great and arranged for an upstairs condo. So there we were lugging luggage across the resort with our new-found friends drinking and laughing at us. Unfortunately, the upstairs unit had slippery tile and was about half the size of the downstairs. So there we were lugging everything back the opposite way thru the resort with our friends really yukking it up. Glad we could entertain them. Stay in a downstairs beachfront condo...
* Food: food is highly variable. Sometimes its pretty good, sometimes yuck. I do highly recommend the granola at the breakfast buffet-one of the high points of the trip. Therefore I do not recommend doing all inclusive cuz you're basically trapped with variable food and there are some very cool places to eat along the beach.
* Rooms are advertised as having irons, ironing boards, coffee makers and hair dryers. Our's didnt have any of that and it all had to be requested. Oh, and dont forget coffee. And sugar. And milk. So be ready to make repeated requests for details like that.
Now that all of that is out of the way, the good. And there were a lot of good things: First the people. Almost without exception, Mayan Princess staff were nice, respectful, gentle and worked very hard to make everyone feel welcome and take care of all those pesky details. Dyrla in particular, Jenn (sorry about the spelling) was funster. Darwin was a cutie and so nice. The people of Roatan, without exception were sweet, respectful, polite and welcoming to their island. And proud of their island. Be sure and stop by and say hey to Landy at Beachers, a cool beachfront bar and restaurant...
Climate was highly variable so bring an umbrella. It was actually kinda neat to have the days change from rainy and sorta jungly gloomy to tropically sunny and breezy.
And finally, the airport. I really loved the airport for some reason. It was SO laid back. The little bar there seems to be the local hangout so if you have some time to kill before you flight home, dont sweat it. You'll enjoy hanging. You almost don't feel like you're at an airport.
So, that's it. If you have any questions, I think you can ask them of me on here.....
Scott
Oh yeah-almost forgot wife's 60th birthday surprise: Jenn and Dyrla arranged for a delicious cake and a bottle of red wine to be delivered to the room. I think there was a candle and we sang Happy Birthday, but I forget....:)

Room Tip: Stay away from San Simon!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ScottO165
I am so happy to hear that you and your wife had such a wonderful stay with us. It was our pleasure to make her birthday extra special. I will be sure to let Dyrla and Jenn know how impressed you were with their service. Your mention is very encouraging and helps us to ensure that we continue on this track of excellence. We appreciate your feedback, it is always very important to know what our guests think. Thank you so much for your kind review and your lovely mention of our island Roatan. We hope to see you again!

Los Angeles
Reviewed June 13, 2013

I arrived at the MP not expecting much, based on reviews and photos. Since I was with a fun group, however, and my days were filled with watersport adventure, I didn't really mind the things that might have annoyed me otherwise, such as:

It's expensive

Service: Frontdesk personell- is varied from super cranky to very nice
Wait-staff-while very sweet, isn't the most efficient and doesn't seem to appreciate
20% tips.
Housekeeping-very nice and clean, depending on the location of your room, they may
not get there until 2pm and they seem to complete it in two segments, an hour apart.

Food: Menu is the same, limited, choice every day, all day.
It's expensive and not always worth the money.
Breakfast buffet is good, but the waffles are there one second, then gone, then there
again. Which is actually kind of funny.

Room: I liked mine, because it was close to the beach, upper level and 1 bedroom. (the 2 bedrooms don't seem to have a livingroom, which is no fun.) The drawbacks of my room: far from reception means no wifi in room and next to Beach Club could subject you to very loud music from dance parties. The leaky shower that dripped was annoying until I placed a wash cloth other drain and couldn't hear the drip.

I don't know why anyone would come to Roatan if not for diving. Since you spend most of the day having fun, hopefully the annoyances of the hotel won't spoil your vacation. Don't expect too much and you can really enjoy your stay.

Room Tip: If you like wifi, and quiet, get a room close to reception, otherwise, close to beach is best.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank 5StarBohemian
Thank you for taking the time to review us. It seem you had a fun time with waters ports adventures in Roatan and I am glad you liked your bedroom and its location. We regret to hear that we did not quite meet your expectations. We have many guests who feel the direct opposite and have boasted of our resort. However, as hoteliers we realize that there is always room for improvement and feedback is crucial in this process so we thank you again for your review. We hope to welcome you back soon for a vacation that will surely exceed your expectations.

Nova Scotia, Canada
Reviewed June 5, 2013

Mayan Princess Beach & Dive Resort:

April 01 - 15/13

WARNING: This is VERY long!!!

We have been taking winter getaways for almost 20 years. This is only my second “trip report” after reading thousands! We are an “over 60” couple who enjoy an annual two week vacation to a hot, sunny destination. We are not hard to please, enjoy meeting people, having a good time, and love to snorkel.

When researching, I found there weren’t many reviews from Canadians who go “all inclusive”. I think that not many do a review because they don’t want anyone else to know how great this place is!! This was our first time to a smaller resort and our first visit to Roatan. We hope it is not our last!

I hope you find this informative.

Flight and check in: Flight out of Toronto was with Sunwing. We had upgraded for more legroom, but the seats were no larger. The flight left on time, 8 am, and breakfast was served shortly after 9. We had no complaints of the service or food. All was quite pleasant including the hot towel service. There was a lot of cloud cover so not too interesting looking out the window. It cleared as we got closer to Florida and we could finally see the beautiful shades of the Caribbean. It was gorgeous flying into Roatan, the reef, the beaches and the colors of the water. There was only one woman there to put us through Immigration, but it went quickly. We got our luggage, and then had to line up again for a screening of all our bags. Our suitcases got piled on a separate truck and we were directed to a bus. We weren’t happy with this situation, being use to our luggage in the same vehicle with us, however, all went well. The drive from the airport to the resort was about a half an hour. The road was interesting – uphill, around corners, downhill. The landscape appeared very lush. Check in at the resort was friendly, fast and efficient. Cold drinks arrived with smiling faces. Wrist bands were put on; rooms were not yet ready, so we made our way to the buffet. Our first time along the walkway, from Reception to the buffet, was breathtaking. The gardens, the pools and waterfalls, then the beach!! We were in our one bedroom condo before 2:15 pm.

Rooms: Not just a room, but a full one bedroom condo. Gorgeous and kept clean on a daily basis, by our wonderful maid, Anna, who also kept us well supplied with towels and bottled water. We were more than pleased with the complete set up. Our bed was the most comfortable that we have ever had and also the most comfortable pillows. I didn’t even use the one I had brought from home. The wood around the bed made it a bit difficult for getting in and out, but we managed. Perhaps a small step stool would help, for those of us with shorter legs. The closet is very large, with lots of extra pillows and blankets. The safe is regular size, and there are about a dozen hangers. There is also an iron and ironing board – which never got moved because I do not do that while on vacation! There is a large bureau (6 deep drawers) and two side tables each with four shallow drawers. The bathroom is a good size, with double sinks and a glass with ceramic shower. The water pressure is fine and lots of hot water. No complaints whatsoever. The kitchen appliances are a little worn, but that didn’t matter to us. No cooking being done while there!! It was great having the full fridge to always have ice cubes and keep any treats or left over’s that we wanted to have later. Also able to keep a lot of cold bottled water. We hardly turn on the TV while away, so can’t speak for channel availability. We did watch the news sometimes, but that was about it. The sectional couch was very comfortable. There is lots of storage space wherever you need it. The dining area is great, with a round table and four chairs. We used the patio area a great deal. It is very large with a full size table and four chairs. A pan with water, to wash off any sand, is on the deck as you step on it, from the walkway. There is also an outside tap.

Grounds: Gorgeous!! They are kept immaculately. The gardens are beautifully manicured throughout the resort. It is breathtaking, especially the first time you see it.

Pool: There are three pools of varying size, with waterfalls separating them. They go most of the length of the property and were always very clean. Usually there was no problem to get a lounger any time of the day.

Activities/entertainment: If you are use to an “Activity staff” that play games, loud music and entertain each evening, you will not find that here. Most evenings there is some kind of entertainment brought in. As an example, one night there was a fire show, another night a singer. You make your own entertainment during the day with the beauty around you – in and out of the water. It’s usually quiet by 10 pm, as most divers, etc, want their rest.

Beach: Awesome! And the most buoyant water we’ve experienced. With varying hues of blues, the water was mostly calm and warm. Rafino did a great job of looking after us. He always had our lounges and umbrella ready for us and would take time for an enjoyable short chat. He had the beach raked early morning and we had no problems with bites. Both my husband and I had maybe a half a dozen. We used insect spray in the evening if we were eating near the sand or walking the beach and sometimes while sitting on the patio.

Some complain of how crowded it gets when the “cruise people” visit. It does get crowded, but we did not find it unbearable nor bothersome. We quite enjoyed chatting with the people when the opportunity presented itself.

There are a few stalls along the beach where you can purchase various souvenirs. I highly recommend Karla and Marco’s “Karma Jewelry”. Each piece is one of a kind.

Bar: There seemed to be some confusion, from day to day, what cocktails were “all inclusive” and what were not. While I hardly have any alcohol when at home, I do enjoy having good, mixed cocktails when on vacation. Some days when I asked for a particular drink, I was told it was not included. Other times it would be. Most times, whatever I chose was tasty. My husband had a problem with one bartender not wanting to pour a “double”. The bartender seemed to think that would be too strong. I don’t think it is up to the bartender to tell the client how strong a drink he should be drinking. Drinks are served in paper “glasses”, larger than the standard “all inclusive” plastic cup. But next time we will take our own mugs. The wait staff was great, always around to get us a refill or whatever we needed. Joe, Danny, Engel, Darrin and the others continually checked to see if there was anything we wanted. And they did it with such handsome smiles.

Food: This is really an individual preference. My husband had no problem whatsoever, and enjoyed every meal. He seldom eats fish when away from home, as we live in a small fishing community and we have access to fresh fish. Here he ate fish often, even if just to try a small piece. He enjoyed it all. I was spoiled with shrimp being served often and in various dishes. I am a dessert person, so missed having a large selection. I am use to a larger resort; however, what was prepared was fresh and to my liking. Sometimes, it was too much to my liking. Belinda often was our waitress and was excellent. Elvis did a phenomenal job at the skillet, and prepared everything exactly as we requested. I’m sorry, but we don’t remember the other guy’s name, who worked at the skillet, but he too was great. We enjoyed the meals and atmosphere at both of the a la carte restaurants. It was especially nice when the waiters were dressed in their formal wear.

Staff: They were phenomenal! Everyone was very accommodating (except the one bartender) and the wait staff was great. The front desk staff was always helpful and anything that required attention was looked after right away. Thanks to Fernand and Raphael, also Belinda and Jan.

Guests: Most of the quests were from the U.S or Canada. Many were returning quests, and we can certainly understand why.

Snorkeling: The best ever! We completely agree with those on the “travel forum” of Tripadvisor, who have said that it is not only the fish, but all of the life under the water here that is so wondrous. We saw so much!! The fan coral is amazing. All of the various corals are amazing. The various sizes, and colors and shapes of not just the fish, but of everything is amazing. Pictures do not do it justice at all. We snorkeled the reef from shore and did not go anywhere else.

I feel I need to speak about a “near drowning incident” I had. I feel fortunate that I was in Roatan when this happened. I can honestly say that I don’t think I would have gotten the immediate and skillful care that I got, if I had been elsewhere – such as the many other Caribbean destinations where we’ve snorkeled. Within minutes there was a doctor beside me, also Juan, the manager of The Mayan Princess along with his security staff to aid in any way. Thank you to Richard and the team. I was put in an ambulance and taken to the clinic that is situated about 5 minutes away. I was there a few hours then transported by ambulance to the hospital. I remained there for most of three days and two nights. There was a bed in the room where my husband could stay with me. The doctors and nurses were fantastic about explaining things to me. Most spoke excellent English. I was greeted back to the resort by friends and staff. It was very heartwarming to be told that they and their families prayed for my safe and healthy return. A special thank you goes to Carlos for transporting my loved ones back and forth to be with me. The manager, Juan, was there for us every step of the way. Thank you seems so menial.

Summary: We had a great vacation at the Mayan Princess and would highly recommend it. We had good experiences at the resort and with the employees. From the minute we got there, we had first class service and hospitality. The staff was always accommodating to our every request.

And…please remember, a request with a smile and a thank you goes a lot further than a pushy demand! Go with a positive attitude, ride with the flow and accept things as they come. Enjoy the fact that someone else is making your bed, cleaning your bathroom, cooking your meals, and serving your drinks. Also remember to appreciate the different culture and the difference between their lives and ours. We are guests in their beautiful country!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
9 Thank clarvey
We are very grateful for your excellent review. I'm so glad we were able to meet your expectations being this your first time at the resort.We are always delighted to know that we met our standard as well as your expectations by offering amazing customer service in a fun and relaxing environment. Our friendly staff on resort do their best to make everyone feel at home. It’s good to hear that they made your stay even better. I'm glad we were able to be a part of your experience. I will be sure to forward your review to the staff and managers ( including Juan for sure ). We look forward to your return! Next time, we would hope that you have an even better experience.

Also consider these accommodations in or near West Bay
#1 of 14 in West Bay
Clarion Suites Roatan at Pineapple Villas
Infinity Bay Spa and Beach Resort
Bananarama Beach and Dive Resort

Been to Mayan Princess Beach & Dive Resort? Share your experiences!