“Fantastic vacation...with a hiccup”

Mayan Princess Beach & Dive Resort
Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in West Bay
Nova Scotia, Canada
“Fantastic vacation...with a hiccup”
Reviewed June 5, 2013

Mayan Princess Beach & Dive Resort:

April 01 - 15/13

WARNING: This is VERY long!!!

We have been taking winter getaways for almost 20 years. This is only my second “trip report” after reading thousands! We are an “over 60” couple who enjoy an annual two week vacation to a hot, sunny destination. We are not hard to please, enjoy meeting people, having a good time, and love to snorkel.

When researching, I found there weren’t many reviews from Canadians who go “all inclusive”. I think that not many do a review because they don’t want anyone else to know how great this place is!! This was our first time to a smaller resort and our first visit to Roatan. We hope it is not our last!

I hope you find this informative.

Flight and check in: Flight out of Toronto was with Sunwing. We had upgraded for more legroom, but the seats were no larger. The flight left on time, 8 am, and breakfast was served shortly after 9. We had no complaints of the service or food. All was quite pleasant including the hot towel service. There was a lot of cloud cover so not too interesting looking out the window. It cleared as we got closer to Florida and we could finally see the beautiful shades of the Caribbean. It was gorgeous flying into Roatan, the reef, the beaches and the colors of the water. There was only one woman there to put us through Immigration, but it went quickly. We got our luggage, and then had to line up again for a screening of all our bags. Our suitcases got piled on a separate truck and we were directed to a bus. We weren’t happy with this situation, being use to our luggage in the same vehicle with us, however, all went well. The drive from the airport to the resort was about a half an hour. The road was interesting – uphill, around corners, downhill. The landscape appeared very lush. Check in at the resort was friendly, fast and efficient. Cold drinks arrived with smiling faces. Wrist bands were put on; rooms were not yet ready, so we made our way to the buffet. Our first time along the walkway, from Reception to the buffet, was breathtaking. The gardens, the pools and waterfalls, then the beach!! We were in our one bedroom condo before 2:15 pm.

Rooms: Not just a room, but a full one bedroom condo. Gorgeous and kept clean on a daily basis, by our wonderful maid, Anna, who also kept us well supplied with towels and bottled water. We were more than pleased with the complete set up. Our bed was the most comfortable that we have ever had and also the most comfortable pillows. I didn’t even use the one I had brought from home. The wood around the bed made it a bit difficult for getting in and out, but we managed. Perhaps a small step stool would help, for those of us with shorter legs. The closet is very large, with lots of extra pillows and blankets. The safe is regular size, and there are about a dozen hangers. There is also an iron and ironing board – which never got moved because I do not do that while on vacation! There is a large bureau (6 deep drawers) and two side tables each with four shallow drawers. The bathroom is a good size, with double sinks and a glass with ceramic shower. The water pressure is fine and lots of hot water. No complaints whatsoever. The kitchen appliances are a little worn, but that didn’t matter to us. No cooking being done while there!! It was great having the full fridge to always have ice cubes and keep any treats or left over’s that we wanted to have later. Also able to keep a lot of cold bottled water. We hardly turn on the TV while away, so can’t speak for channel availability. We did watch the news sometimes, but that was about it. The sectional couch was very comfortable. There is lots of storage space wherever you need it. The dining area is great, with a round table and four chairs. We used the patio area a great deal. It is very large with a full size table and four chairs. A pan with water, to wash off any sand, is on the deck as you step on it, from the walkway. There is also an outside tap.

Grounds: Gorgeous!! They are kept immaculately. The gardens are beautifully manicured throughout the resort. It is breathtaking, especially the first time you see it.

Pool: There are three pools of varying size, with waterfalls separating them. They go most of the length of the property and were always very clean. Usually there was no problem to get a lounger any time of the day.

Activities/entertainment: If you are use to an “Activity staff” that play games, loud music and entertain each evening, you will not find that here. Most evenings there is some kind of entertainment brought in. As an example, one night there was a fire show, another night a singer. You make your own entertainment during the day with the beauty around you – in and out of the water. It’s usually quiet by 10 pm, as most divers, etc, want their rest.

Beach: Awesome! And the most buoyant water we’ve experienced. With varying hues of blues, the water was mostly calm and warm. Rafino did a great job of looking after us. He always had our lounges and umbrella ready for us and would take time for an enjoyable short chat. He had the beach raked early morning and we had no problems with bites. Both my husband and I had maybe a half a dozen. We used insect spray in the evening if we were eating near the sand or walking the beach and sometimes while sitting on the patio.

Some complain of how crowded it gets when the “cruise people” visit. It does get crowded, but we did not find it unbearable nor bothersome. We quite enjoyed chatting with the people when the opportunity presented itself.

There are a few stalls along the beach where you can purchase various souvenirs. I highly recommend Karla and Marco’s “Karma Jewelry”. Each piece is one of a kind.

Bar: There seemed to be some confusion, from day to day, what cocktails were “all inclusive” and what were not. While I hardly have any alcohol when at home, I do enjoy having good, mixed cocktails when on vacation. Some days when I asked for a particular drink, I was told it was not included. Other times it would be. Most times, whatever I chose was tasty. My husband had a problem with one bartender not wanting to pour a “double”. The bartender seemed to think that would be too strong. I don’t think it is up to the bartender to tell the client how strong a drink he should be drinking. Drinks are served in paper “glasses”, larger than the standard “all inclusive” plastic cup. But next time we will take our own mugs. The wait staff was great, always around to get us a refill or whatever we needed. Joe, Danny, Engel, Darrin and the others continually checked to see if there was anything we wanted. And they did it with such handsome smiles.

Food: This is really an individual preference. My husband had no problem whatsoever, and enjoyed every meal. He seldom eats fish when away from home, as we live in a small fishing community and we have access to fresh fish. Here he ate fish often, even if just to try a small piece. He enjoyed it all. I was spoiled with shrimp being served often and in various dishes. I am a dessert person, so missed having a large selection. I am use to a larger resort; however, what was prepared was fresh and to my liking. Sometimes, it was too much to my liking. Belinda often was our waitress and was excellent. Elvis did a phenomenal job at the skillet, and prepared everything exactly as we requested. I’m sorry, but we don’t remember the other guy’s name, who worked at the skillet, but he too was great. We enjoyed the meals and atmosphere at both of the a la carte restaurants. It was especially nice when the waiters were dressed in their formal wear.

Staff: They were phenomenal! Everyone was very accommodating (except the one bartender) and the wait staff was great. The front desk staff was always helpful and anything that required attention was looked after right away. Thanks to Fernand and Raphael, also Belinda and Jan.

Guests: Most of the quests were from the U.S or Canada. Many were returning quests, and we can certainly understand why.

Snorkeling: The best ever! We completely agree with those on the “travel forum” of Tripadvisor, who have said that it is not only the fish, but all of the life under the water here that is so wondrous. We saw so much!! The fan coral is amazing. All of the various corals are amazing. The various sizes, and colors and shapes of not just the fish, but of everything is amazing. Pictures do not do it justice at all. We snorkeled the reef from shore and did not go anywhere else.

I feel I need to speak about a “near drowning incident” I had. I feel fortunate that I was in Roatan when this happened. I can honestly say that I don’t think I would have gotten the immediate and skillful care that I got, if I had been elsewhere – such as the many other Caribbean destinations where we’ve snorkeled. Within minutes there was a doctor beside me, also Juan, the manager of The Mayan Princess along with his security staff to aid in any way. Thank you to Richard and the team. I was put in an ambulance and taken to the clinic that is situated about 5 minutes away. I was there a few hours then transported by ambulance to the hospital. I remained there for most of three days and two nights. There was a bed in the room where my husband could stay with me. The doctors and nurses were fantastic about explaining things to me. Most spoke excellent English. I was greeted back to the resort by friends and staff. It was very heartwarming to be told that they and their families prayed for my safe and healthy return. A special thank you goes to Carlos for transporting my loved ones back and forth to be with me. The manager, Juan, was there for us every step of the way. Thank you seems so menial.

Summary: We had a great vacation at the Mayan Princess and would highly recommend it. We had good experiences at the resort and with the employees. From the minute we got there, we had first class service and hospitality. The staff was always accommodating to our every request.

And…please remember, a request with a smile and a thank you goes a lot further than a pushy demand! Go with a positive attitude, ride with the flow and accept things as they come. Enjoy the fact that someone else is making your bed, cleaning your bathroom, cooking your meals, and serving your drinks. Also remember to appreciate the different culture and the difference between their lives and ours. We are guests in their beautiful country!

9 Thank clarvey
Janeth T, Manager at Mayan Princess Beach & Dive Resort, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
We are very grateful for your excellent review. I'm so glad we were able to meet your expectations being this your first time at the resort.We are always delighted to know that we met our standard as well as your expectations by offering amazing customer service in a fun and relaxing environment. Our friendly staff on resort do their best to make everyone feel at home. It’s good to hear that they made your stay even better. I'm glad we were able to be a part of your experience. I will be sure to forward your review to the staff and managers ( including Juan for sure ). We look forward to your return! Next time, we would hope that you have an even better experience.

Have a nice day.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (235)
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed June 5, 2013

Great Condo on 2nd floor facing the pool and steps from the beach at the Mayan Princess for sale. Willing to sell 50% share if anyone is interested. Great Place to unwind and relax! I did live there full time but am no longer able to live in Roatan full time.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank zzzannna
Arvada, Colorado
Reviewed June 2, 2013

My husband and I spent a wonderful week at the Mayan Princess. We had been to Roatan on a Carnival cruise the year before and loved the island and on a cruise you are only there for a few hours so we decided to return for a longer stay. The whole week was amazing. We had a condo right on the beach. The food was excellent, the drinks were delicious and the weather could not have been better. The pool is beautiful and the whole staff was very friendly. We don't dive but we did do some fun excursions which are easily set up at the front desk. Thank you so much for a great vacation! We will be back!

2 Thank Markmary56
We are so thrilled to read that you and your husband had such a fabulous vacation with us. It's great that we were able to meet your expectations and make this an amazing experience for you and that we were able to be part of your experience. I will be sure to forward your review to the managers. We look forward to your next return! Next time, we would hope that you have an even better experience.

Greenfield, Wisconsin
Reviewed May 26, 2013

When we pulled up to the hotel i was a little concerned - it doesn't look too great on the back side. Reception area was fine, clerk very helpful... step thru the entry way into paradise. beautiful pool and flowers. outdoor bar area that was several steps above the other hangouts. Not that the beer on the beac spots aren't fun but sometimes you want something out of the sand!
rooms were spotless and staff super friendly and accommodating. I had heard quite a bit about security in Roatan - the hotel's security staff was wonderful. I felt very safe. We had one little situation .... everyone who goes to Roatan knows the Banana donut man ... Milton and his wife Elena also cook meals. DO NOT FALL FOR HIM!! He is a drug addict and will take your dinner money - always needs half so his wife can do the shopping ..... you will never see him again. I mentioned it to someone and they said get security involved - I did, they helped. I got half my money which was fine. To me it was the principal - i mean seriously - what an idiot I was to give someone half the money up front but .... I trusted him. He's a con artist and a good one.
Other than that - an absolutely perfect week. The hotel we thought a little bit pricey but in the end i think it was worth it. It's not quite "Cookable" but there was a blender and enough supplies to make plenty of pina coladas, salsa etc! It is super quiet - the beds are really comfortable. and seriously - the staff is the best.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank bananadoNOT
Thank you so much for your great review. We appreciate it. I am happy to know that you enjoyed your vacations at the resort and that our staff was able to make it even more enjoyable. We hope to see you again!

Albuquerque
Reviewed May 17, 2013

Having the dive shop on site was a big plus. As new divers doing our open water certification, the resort was well suited. As to the hotel, the accommodations were okay and the service and food was above average. However, there were obvious little things that keep it from being really first class. Our phone didn't work when we arrived, our toilet had to be repaired and never did quite work right, the buildings showed stains on the exterior and the doors didn't quite close properly. Generally, the issues were handled promptly by 'just in time' maintenance. There were a couple of super stars on the staff, but also some that were not particularly helpful or prompt.
Back to the dive shop, Anja and Jeanott (sp) were exceptional.

Room Tip: There is a real trade of to be made with the room location. The front condos face the beach, but th...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Pabuelo
Thank you for taking the time to review us. It seems you had a great time at the resort, specially in the diving area. I am so happy to hear that our staff was able to make your vacation so enjoyable and how much you loved our location. We appreciate your feedback and it has been addressed to our general manager. We hope to welcome you back soon for a vacation that will surely exceed your expectations.

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed May 4, 2013

This trip was my first time staying at an all-inclusive tropical resort, and the Mayan Princess hotel and staff made it an enjoyable experience. The single room was spacious and clean, and the hotel grounds were well-kept. The air conditioning was great, and was adjustable. The television offered a selection of U.S. and Canadian English-language programming, in addition to the local channels. There were a couple of minor technical issues, but the staff always fixed them promptly.

Just a note that if you go, your room will probably not be ready until about 3:00, so I recommend bringing your beach stuff in a backpack, so you can hit the beach while you wait.

The beach was incredible. The water was every bit as clear as it looked in the travel book. There was no shortage of beach chairs and towels, and it was only about twenty paces to the bar. I also did some snorkeling, and found a good selection of coral and fish close to the shore.

The buffet food was average, but the a la carte restaurants were better. If you travel with Sunwing, I highly recommend doing the Saturday Seafood Dinner. It was $55.00 US, but worth it. Not only was it delicious, but I had leftovers the next day.

The other thing about the buffet is that it operates on "island time": breakfast from 7:30-9:30, lunch from 12:30 until around 2-2:30, and dinner from 7:30-9:30. If you're used to being an early riser, I recommend altering your eating hours about a week before you travel. I ended up getting some cereal, juice, and some snacks to tide me over between meals (the room includes a full-size fridge. Also, the food at the buffet isn't labelled, but the kitchen staff will tell you what something is, if you ask.

On a more positive note, all the fruits and vegetables are washed with purified water, and are safe to eat. I didn't have a single incident of traveler's diarrhea the entire time I was there.

There are less on-site activities at the Mayan Princess than you would probably find at other resorts. However, I was able to avail myself of some of Sunwing's activity packages.

There is WiFi available, but it is only really accessible near the front desk or the restaurant area.

Lastly, the staff were friendly, and responded promptly to any requests. Because the resort is only about 60 rooms, the staff are able to get to know you a little better.

Overall, if you're looking to spend a relatively quiet week sitting in the sun and swimming in the water, I would definitely recommend the Mayan Princess.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank jpbrown3
Janeth T, Manager at Mayan Princess Beach & Dive Resort, responded to this review, May 16, 2013
Thank you so much for your great review! I'm happy to know that you enjoyed your stay at
the resort and that we were able to meet your expectations. Your vacation seemed to be an amazing one and I'm happy we were able to be a part of your experience. We hope to see you again. Have a nice day.
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed April 23, 2013

Just got back from a two-week stay at the Mayan Princess and had a wonderful time. The staff are great - particularly Fernando. The rooms were very clean, the bed was incredibly comfortable, beautiful pool area. Can't comment on the food as we didn't do the all-inclusive package. The only negative comments I have are that the security guards stand around talking quite loudly most of the day and the music at the restaurant blares rave music quite often. Otherwise had a great stay and would go there again.

2 Thank Pennywise3
We really appreciate you posting about your wonderful stay at the resort! Providing excellent customer service is very important to us and it is always our pleasure to serve. We appreciate your feedback, it is always very important to know what our guests think. We hope to see you again. Have a nice day.
Also consider these accommodations in or near West Bay
Infinity Bay Spa and Beach Resort
Paradise Beach Hotel
Paradise Beach Hotel
#4 of 14 in West Bay

Been to Mayan Princess Beach & Dive Resort? Share your experiences!