“Nice place to stay”

Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in West Bay
Atlanta, Georgia
“Nice place to stay”
Reviewed June 6, 2012

I recommend Mayan Princess Beach Resort if anyone else are looking for a place to stay and especially if you like to snorkel. Most beautiful resort on the island!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
11 Thank Marlene L

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (234)
Houston, Texas
Reviewed June 4, 2012

We booked and pre-paid for the largest suit. When we arrived we were told our room had no air conditioner, but it would be available for our last night. The room we were downgraded to had one bath. We started the Air conditioner at 3pm and by 8 pm the room had cooled down to 79. We were offered another jr. suite but could not guarantee it would be any cooler. After running for 24 hrs the room cooled down to 74-75. When I asked to see the original room I was told it was sold. The all inclusive bar is horrible.
The breakfast and lunch buffets were good. The landscaping was gorgeous. the housekeeping staff did a good job

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
8 Thank Ken W
Breckenridge, Colorado
Reviewed May 16, 2012

Just came back from 2 weeks at Mayan Princess, we had a great stay, but it could have been better... The resort is beautiful, very nice pool area, well maintained plants and flowers all over, nice! The rooms all seem to be different, so I can only speak for the one we were in, #124, lots of space, separate bedroom with queen bed, living room with pull out sleeper couch, TV and coffe table+ dining area, and nice to have a kitchen!
We were not doing all inclusive, so it was great to be able to do some easy cooking in the room. Very happy not to have done all inclusive, both lunch and dinner looked pretty disappointing! Breakfast was included, and most days it was great, eggs, omelettes and waffles cooked to order, and a nice selection of fruit, cereal, meats etc. Don't wait 'til the end of service though, the last half hour or so, it seems they stop refilling, so if it's gone, it's gone!
Back to the room, if you like a soft bed, you'll be ok, but we like a firm mattress, and for the entire 2 weeks, both my husband and I had the worst back aches from sleeping, and don't even think about sleeping on the pull out, they had it made up for us, so we used it for watching TV, but our butts almost touched the floor laying on it, no support left at all!
If you plan on bringing your laptop to stay in touch with e-mails etc., you will have to go to an office by the front desk, to plug in, if you want WIFI, they charge you $50 a week!! Ridiculous! The connection in the "office" stopped working halfway through our stay, and nobody seemed to care to try to fix it. One place on the beach offers free WIFI, and it is actually a place I would recommend for lunch or dinner, Beachers Bar. Had a few great meals there, and on Saturday night, they had a great band playing, fun times!
The Mayan Princess staff all over seemed a little unfriendly, and didn't seem to care if you had issues with something? Our keycards stopped working all the time, the TV/cable went out all the time, and they mostly just shrugged it off.
Don't plan on eating at the resort, unless you are doing all inclusive, they are the most expensive restaurant on the beach, a couple of examples, $13 hamburgers, $72 for a seafood platter, probably for 2, but still! There are plenty of great places to eat up and down the beach, so go explore. Bananarama has the best pizza, great seafood at Bite On The Beach and Fosters, try the blackened snapper special on Wednesday night, really good!
Make sure you bring bug spray, there are mosquitos and sand flies, but if you stay by the pool instead of the beach, the latter won't be a problem.
We were in Roatan to dive, and Mayan Divers are great people. We were a little disappointed to see that the diving was not as good as it was when we visited last time, it seems 7 years has had an impact on the reef and sea life, sad...
Last, if you want to see the rest of the island, which I recommend, you need to call Jensen Wesley!! He is a great guy, and will take you anywhere you want to go. An all day trip was $100, and is much better than having to rent a car, and do the driving yourself. He knows all the good places to go and see, make sure you go have lunch at La Sirena in Camp Bay, all the way on the North East end of the island, great little restaurant over the water. Fantastic fish, and coconut candy!! After lunch, he will take you even a little bit farther, to a beautiful view point, overlooking the mangroves, and neighboring islands, then continue to Camp Bay beach, where you want to spend some time swimming and relaxing on the beautiful empty beach! Lots of other fun thing to see and do as well, he can recommend activities etc.
Again, Jensen Wesley is your guy, call him at 9717 1656, or you can e-mail him at jensenwesley81@hotmail.com, highly recommended!
All in all, we had a pretty good stay, but there were a few things the resort could work on...

Room Tip: Our room, #124, was right by the pool, and 1 minute from the beach, on the ground floor, which I thi...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
13 Thank Ellenc69
Toronto
Reviewed May 13, 2012

We stayed at the Mayan Princess Beach Resort from April 30 - May 7 and will definitely be returning in the future. The resort is beautiful and only about a half an hour ride from the airport.

The staff at the resort was incredibly friendly and always willing and able to help with any questions we had (we traveled off the resort and planned our own day trips). The room wasn't just a room, it was a condo and it looked exactly like it did in the pictures. The maids worked hard to keep the place clean and always did so with a smile.

The beach was...AMAZING!!!! Definitely a beach I will be returning to! The water was clear and the sand was white. I don't dive so I didn't really stray too far from shore but I still managed to see some beautiful fish (I actually bumped into a school of fish).

The food was...actually really good in my opinion. I'm a really picky eater, but I managed to eat three full meals a day. I was usually stuffed after every meal. There aren't a lot of choices, but what is prepared at every meal is really really good. Don't expect anything super fancy, but the food is edible and quite tasty. I was a fan of the Belgian waffles at breakfast, and the pastas and potatoes at lunch and dinner. Oh, and they do a great job cooking vegetables, especially eggplant and their chicken fingers and fries are awesome!

Overall, my mom and I had an amazing time relaxing, eating, and swimming at this beautiful and quiet resort. We WILL be back!

P.S. The towel guy can get you coconuts for $2 USD. They were huge coconuts and it was an amazing feeling to drink from my coconut while sitting in the water. Also, take the water taxi to West End and walk over to the butterfly gardens, and make sure to check out the iguana farm in French Harbour!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
10 Thank lovesbeaches88
Brighton
Reviewed May 11, 2012

This is our 3rd time staying at the Mayan Princess and diving with the Mayan Divers. We love it there. The rooms, pool and beach are beautiful. Breakfast is good, lunches and dinners are okay...nothing great but you can still eat and you can take a water taxi into town and have lunch there and shop. There are plenty of other restaurants to eat at all around that area if you feel like a change. The diving is amazing...we came across 5 eagle rays during our 11 dives, 2 lion fishing fighting, and much much more. Such an awesome place to dive. We will return again.

Room Tip: All rooms are very nice especially ocean or pool side
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank ScubaSally7
mississauga
Reviewed May 6, 2012

Review of Mayan Princess, Roatan April 9 – 16, 2012

Well, as usual in most resorts, there is the excellent, the good and the not-so good.
Here we go…
The excellent: the rooms are excellent. We were in 123, ground floor garden room. It had a lovely couch and love seat, nice eating area, re-furbed kitchen with nice marble counters, backsplash, microwave, stove and fridge. We only used the fridge since, from Sunwing, we were all inclusive. The livingroom had a built in bookshelf and a nice tv that we never turned on.
The bathroom is really nice, double sinks and a large shower enclosure with glass blocks. In good shape.
The bedroom was large with a nice flat screen LG tv and a gigantic bed. It was at least 4 feet high! It was built on a platform with drawers underneath, plus a double height box spring and large mattress. I am 4’10” so it was hilarious trying to get in and out of it! I developed a manoeuver were I put one leg on the night table and then swung onto the bed. My hubbie gave my “dismount” an 8.5 out of 10 for my gracious slide/glide out of bed! We had a lovely large patio where we would sit, relax, and smoke since this unit is designated non smoking. It appears to be an owned (condo) unit, a 2 minute walk to the beach and across from the hot tub by the pool. We never used the pool or hot tub – hot tub looked murky…pool was lovely but we spent all our time at the beach. The grounds are absolutely gorgeous, beautiful plants and flowers and perfectly maintained. Kudos to the staff who plant and maintain the property.
Beach was gorgeous, calm, clear and warm. An excellent beach for a “floatie”. The weather was HOT and lovely, only half a day of clouds in a week.
The snorkelling is the best we have ever done (and we have been to the south pacific and Cozumel where we thought it was very good.) Walk down to the end of the beach and off you go. There are “rooms” of coral and it grows very high and close to the top of the ocean. After the first time, I felt much more comfortable with a life jacket as there are places where you feel you will not make it over the top without scraping yourself. You can make it – it just feels like you won’t. I rented a life jacket from the Mayan Divers location for about $ 3 a day. They seemed like a fantastic group there; the divers went out 2 -3 times per day and loved every minute of it.
The good verging on not-so-good: the foods and drinks. Sorry but it’s true. I am not a picky eater or a big drinker. The wine, which you can only get after 7pm is undrinkable and I’m no wine snob. It is akin to turpentine (both red and white). The mixed drinks are so weak that I never tasted booze in them at all and even the mix was ick. I ordered a Pina Colada, didn’t taste like anything really. But the bottled beer was a hit and the guys all liked it.
Breakfast was usually really good, great pancakes, French toast and an egg station. As usual, my hubbie taught the cook the “Canadian” way of making an omlet - the cook eventually said “Ah, like taco!” instead of the western they usually make. He was a real sweetie and tried hard to please. The fruit was plentiful and fresh. Lunch wasn’t bad, probably because the cruise ship people are there 4 days a week and eat the lunch and pay money for it. Dinner sadly, sucked. Like I said, I will eat almost anything but some nights, there honestly wasn’t much to eat. Lots of “mystery” meat in sauce etc. Best was the pasta station (same hard working sweetie as breakfast). We all got the violent runs by end of day one and it lasted throughout the week (and continues 4 days after getting home). From talking to others, it was very prevalent with all of us. Was almost laughable as we all re-enacted the Dukoral commercial, standing in line for the beach washrooms or trotting quickly to our rooms. Oh yes, the women’s bathroom at the beach doesn’t lock and all the washrooms indicate to put toilet paper in the garbage pail rather than the toilet, rendering those rooms less than pleasant. The women’s washroom in the dining room did not have soap the entire week.
The cruise people – as advertised, cruise folks came in almost daily but really did not impact us. They did keep to their area of the beach and didn’t detract at all from our stay. We didn’t even experience the towel shortage others wrote of (although we brought cheap towels just in case and left them there).The towel guy was the only staff member who seemed unconcerned about providing service.
The not-so good – THE BUGS. We knew there were sand flies there and mosquitos but since no one mentioned it much in trip adviser, we decided they couldn’t be too bad. We applied Watkins, DEET, or OFF on top of sunscreen from head to toe every morning.. Of course, the minute you go swimming (which is every 20 minutes in the heat), it is washed off, to the detriment of the ocean and our bodies. We were covered in bites, the mosquitos weren’t too bad, except in our room, but the sand fleas leave large crusted welts and itch like crazy. We have been home almost a week and are only now starting to lose the lovely crusty bites.
So because of the bites, I don’t think we’ll go back. But overall, lovely resort, fantastic beach and snorkelling.

Room Tip: we were in room 123, garden room, very very nice.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
7 Thank weneedthesun
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed May 6, 2012

First let me say that my wife and I stayed at this resort on Easter Week (April 2-9 2012) and we learned a very important lesson about travelling to the Caribbean/Central America - NEVER TRAVEL ON EASTER WEEK! We didn't know this but it is a week long holiday for most Central American countries and Roatan in particular was absolutely flooded with locals from all over Central America. Locals outnumbered tourists at least 20-1 on some days. It was not relaxing to be on West Bay beach. It was loud, crowded and spring break like atmosphere. Many of the locals were teenagers walking up and down beach while drinking.

All of this aside, the Mayan Princess was a pretty good resort - rooms were very spacious as they are timeshares. We got a two bedroom with kitchen and didn't even ask for it. The two a-la-carts were excellent with lots of seafood/meat selection. The pool is beautiful. The resident dive shop is superb with skilled dive instructors. The buffet was good - not same quality as Mexico but good for the location.

But... the Hotel did something VERY wrong on Easter Week - they allowed dozens of locals to pay to use the pool and buffet every day. The pool was filled with large families with roudy kids and this happened virtually every day. Pool washrooms were not well maintained because of this. Hotel guests were supposed to have a dedicated area of the pool but this was not enforced. Also, the bar and beach side lounge area of the hotel was opened up to paying locals with large families as well.

All-in-all this was a good resort and beautiful destination but because of the craziness of Easter Week it was not a relaxing vacation. I respect the right of locals to enjoy the beach as well so I'll just never travel on that week again. And opening up the pool to non-guests is a no-no in my books.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
#1 of 14 in West Bay
Clarion Suites Roatan at Pineapple Villas
Infinity Bay Spa and Beach Resort
Bananarama Beach and Dive Resort

Been to Mayan Princess Beach & Dive Resort? Share your experiences!