If you are reading reviews to decide whether to stay here-- do it! The West Bay Beach location is second to none. You can walk right out of your room/cabana/villa on the soft cream sand and into the warm Caribbean. Don't expect crashing ocean waves, the coral barrier reef creates only tranquil turquoise water. Its ideal for swimming, snokeling or strolling on the beach.
Bananarama is a reknowned diving resort, but you won't feel out of place if you don't dive. My husband & I (in our early 40s) did decide to try a discovery dive and had a fantastic instructor named Marco.
We usually like a quaint town location, but we were so happy that to have chosen West Bay over West End. WEnd is a quirky little town without a lot of charm, but good restaurant variety. Whereas, WBay was gorgeous and the various beach bars yielded some evening music and happenings.
Room choices: Prior to our trip, we decided on a Cabana (#2) with a queen bed. It was cozy with a front porch, A/C, mini fridge, bath. No complaints, the room was just as represented. But, we did decide that we'd like more room to lounge around. We moved to beautiful Villa #26 with a 2 levels, kitchen, sizable porch with furniture & hammocks. (photos posted)
It was not directly oceanfront, but did have ocean views. Each of the rooms in this area fronted a quiet courtyard with tables and hammocks that could only be accessed by hotel guests. Security guys stand by the beach access and keep out the hair braiders/sunglass guys/vendors (not pushy by the way-- this is not Jamaica.)
Cruise Ships: Others have posted about the cruise ships and I'd like to offer my input. It is now off season in Roatan (lots of discounts around) and there was hardly anyone there. We were at Bananarama during the only 3 cruise ship days of the week-- Tues, Wed, Thurs-- 1 Carnival ship each day. One day I only saw a foursome from the ship and the busy day had a lot more people. They congregated on the beach & around the bar, it was fun to have one louder more active day. So, even on a "busy" ship day in off-season, the crowd wasn't bad and it only lasted from 10 a.m.- 3 p.m. anyway. Fyi-- they were not allowed to hang out in front of the cabanas or villas at all.
Staff: A quick word about the great staff... friendly, efficient Louise will help you with your reservation via email/website, Smiley Denise operates the reception office wonderfully. Housekeeping & groundsmen took great pride in their work. Bartender/restaurant staff were fun-- thanks to Olive, Wilson, Albert, Steven & the rest :) The owner, Louis & family are currently at the resort and readily available to chat too.
Finally, movies on the beach with free popcorn were a blast and the Vintage Pearl was a fantastic value for quality food & wine. For an airport transfer, Omar will get you for $25-- he is a great conversationalist and seems to know everything about the island.
We thoroughly enjoyed our week there (6/13-19) and highly recommend Bananarama!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located directly on West Bay Beach, our Roatan Eco Friendly Dive and Beach Front Resort is blessed with the turquoise waters of the Caribbean shaded under an amazing tropical canopy. We offer an island dream vacation for those who want to escape the stress of everyday life and relax Roatan style. We offer clean, comfortable and affordable rooms with a hammock on every porch and offer free breakfast, wifi, beach chairs, kayaks and smiles. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets and getaroom.com so you can book your Bananarama Beach and Dive Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Bananarama Beach And Dive Hotel West Bay
- Bananarama Dive Hotel
- Hotel Bananarama Dive
- Bananarama Beach And Dive Resort Roatan, Bay Islands, Honduras