“Diving or not-- Stay here!”

Bananarama Beach and Dive Resort
Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in West Bay
Sterling, VA
“Diving or not-- Stay here!”
Reviewed June 21, 2010

If you are reading reviews to decide whether to stay here-- do it! The West Bay Beach location is second to none. You can walk right out of your room/cabana/villa on the soft cream sand and into the warm Caribbean. Don't expect crashing ocean waves, the coral barrier reef creates only tranquil turquoise water. Its ideal for swimming, snokeling or strolling on the beach.
Bananarama is a reknowned diving resort, but you won't feel out of place if you don't dive. My husband & I (in our early 40s) did decide to try a discovery dive and had a fantastic instructor named Marco.
We usually like a quaint town location, but we were so happy that to have chosen West Bay over West End. WEnd is a quirky little town without a lot of charm, but good restaurant variety. Whereas, WBay was gorgeous and the various beach bars yielded some evening music and happenings.
Room choices: Prior to our trip, we decided on a Cabana (#2) with a queen bed. It was cozy with a front porch, A/C, mini fridge, bath. No complaints, the room was just as represented. But, we did decide that we'd like more room to lounge around. We moved to beautiful Villa #26 with a 2 levels, kitchen, sizable porch with furniture & hammocks. (photos posted)
It was not directly oceanfront, but did have ocean views. Each of the rooms in this area fronted a quiet courtyard with tables and hammocks that could only be accessed by hotel guests. Security guys stand by the beach access and keep out the hair braiders/sunglass guys/vendors (not pushy by the way-- this is not Jamaica.)
Cruise Ships: Others have posted about the cruise ships and I'd like to offer my input. It is now off season in Roatan (lots of discounts around) and there was hardly anyone there. We were at Bananarama during the only 3 cruise ship days of the week-- Tues, Wed, Thurs-- 1 Carnival ship each day. One day I only saw a foursome from the ship and the busy day had a lot more people. They congregated on the beach & around the bar, it was fun to have one louder more active day. So, even on a "busy" ship day in off-season, the crowd wasn't bad and it only lasted from 10 a.m.- 3 p.m. anyway. Fyi-- they were not allowed to hang out in front of the cabanas or villas at all.
Staff: A quick word about the great staff... friendly, efficient Louise will help you with your reservation via email/website, Smiley Denise operates the reception office wonderfully. Housekeeping & groundsmen took great pride in their work. Bartender/restaurant staff were fun-- thanks to Olive, Wilson, Albert, Steven & the rest :) The owner, Louis & family are currently at the resort and readily available to chat too.
Finally, movies on the beach with free popcorn were a blast and the Vintage Pearl was a fantastic value for quality food & wine. For an airport transfer, Omar will get you for $25-- he is a great conversationalist and seems to know everything about the island.
We thoroughly enjoyed our week there (6/13-19) and highly recommend Bananarama!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank VATravelers

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (241)
Victoria, BC
Reviewed June 17, 2010

The purpose of my trip was diving and relaxing on the beach. Mission accomplished! The quality of diving was outstanding and our divemaster Sophia was terrific. I would not hesitate to dive with Bananarama again and ask for Sophia again. The beach was beautiful...white sand, clean, calm water. I get a bit restless just laying around and I need something to do. The snorkeling just a short walk down the beach was phenomenal and we had free use of kayaks which I enjoyed.

Now for the negatives...while the staff would bend over backwards to accommodate your needs (the bar staff and Thirsty Turtle servers were great), the rooms were less than satisfactory. I don't consider myself a demanding guest...all I wanted was somewhere clean and safe to stay. While the rooms weren't filthy or anything, I was disappointed with all the bugs (including cockroaches in the rooms) and dirty linens. The pillows were very uncomfortable and well past its life. The cleaning staff also forgot to lock our door. The power outages, while not the hotel's fault, were inconvenient and while other hotels had back-up generators, Bananarama did not. According to one of the owners, their generator went "tit$ up" several months ago and they were still waiting on the part. With no power, we had no running water. The staff provided us with water to fill our toilet tanks so we can flush our toilets. We suspect this same water was then used to replace our purified drinking water since two of our party of four had montezuma's revenge soon after and we were the only two who drank that water. The same owner of course denied such a thing could happen but a strange coincidence that the open water jug in our bathroom went missing at the same time that our purified water jug was replaced and we got sick right after. I got tired of brushing my teeth with what I thought was purified drinking water (hopefully not toilet water). At $100/night, I think we could have done better.

One final note, while I was satisfied with the food options despite a limited menu, I was VERY disappointed with the much-anticipated, highly-regarded Island Pearl. I suppose if you want to have a romantic evening with your significant other and impress her with a shoeless, over-priced, pretentious place to eat, this is your kind of place. For me, I thought the food was tasty but the portions were pathetic! I wasn't expecting huge portions by any means but guys, a little tip, if you're going to serve broth, maybe be a little more generous than half a coffee cup. Hey, maybe a roll would be nice. And that 8oz filet? Not a chance! It wasn't more than 4 or 5. The BREAD pudding dessert was tasty but it's BREAD, maybe something larger than a table-spoon portion would be better. At $35 for 3 ultra-tiny portions, I would also recommend you not be so tacky to charge $1/head for water! And if you enjoyed all this, you'll love the 18% gratuity they take the liberty of adding to your bill. I paid $60 for my meal including 1 drink and could have easily handled a big mac combo afterward.

All in all, a terrific DIVE and BEACH vacation. Next time, I'll be staying at Infinity Bay.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank Marip0sa2010
VintagePearl, Owner at Bananarama Beach and Dive Resort, responded to this review, July 27, 2010
We are very happy these guys had such a great time diving with us. Our generator was waiting for a new oil sensor in which it was not operational for a total of 3 weeks. It can be difficult to diagnose, order, recieve and repair these types of unforseen problems here unfortunately. Our generator is less than 2 years old, but is one of those high tech propane ones that unfortunately need TLC when the motherboard says something is wrong. During these 3 weeks the power was scheduled to go out each Sunday in which one of the Sundays was extemely long (6 hours) in which power was not available. We offered complementary drinks during this time to all our guests that were staying with us and full refunds for those who wished to move to a different resort due to our generator waiting on parts. It is important to note that although we do have a generator on site we do not operate it when the power is out from 11pm to 7am unless it gets too hot during the night. This is outlined on our website and during the booking process. We do this to try and remain Eco-friendly to our environment and give our guests some peace and quiet while they are sleeping. It is also important to note than many resorts our size on Roatan do not have backup generators.

This being said it is salt water from the ocean that is offered during these times as we have no other way of providing water for toilets. We offer free 5 gallon water dispensers in our rooms with water purified by reverse osmosis. Our rooms are sprayed bi-weekly on the exteriors and weekly on the interiors or after each check out. Our structures are wood and occasionally bugs do find their way into the rooms even with the most vigorous spraying in a tropical environment. We did have several complaints on the linens and pillows during the month of June in which we replaced them during the month of July. Our room rates average from $55 per night to $90 per night for two people depending upon the package that you book and the time of year you come. You can expect to get a free breakfast, beach chairs, kayaks, welcome drink and a friendly staff during your entire stay regardless of the other booking options you choose.

Vintage Pearl has an excellent reputation and I am sorry that anyone would ever feel this way at one of our restaurants and not let us know immediately. I am happy they felt the food was "tasty" and if any of our guests have felt hungry at the end of their meal or wanted more it is fixed immediately by bringing it to our attention. We have fixed our soup portions thanks to previous guest feedback and more soup or larger portions for those who want more has never been a problem on any of the courses. That being said if you are craving a "big mac or a quarter pounder" perhaps a romantic evening is not on the venue and Vintage Pearl could be saved for another night. Our prices range from $25 to $45 per meal and our wines range from $26 to $355 per bottle. We do require all guests to leave their shoes at the door as its part of the atmosphere we wish to portray.

I do believe that accommodations exist on Roatan as this guest mentions for guests who are looking for more luxury type accommodation during their stay. Infinity Bay is a great hotel for those who are looking for some luxury and willing to pay considerably more for it. We do not wish to decieve any future guest in what they are getting at our resort and would direct each person to our website which offers detailed descriptions of our rooms, operations, staff, booking options and past guest feedback. We are doing our best to be an eco-friendly resort and cater to our guests the very best we possibly can. We understand that "Eco-Friendly" does not appeal to everyone and lower priced accommodations are not for everyone. I would encourage each person who comes to Roatan to do adequate research, contact past guests and make sure that the resort, cabana or other accommodations are what you want. As I said before we are not a 3, 4 or 5 star accommodation. We are the wooden cabana type people where everyone has a hamock on their porch, you make friends during breakfast or our nightly activities and at night you use your room to get a good night sleep:)

We thank you for your feed back, suggestions and comments as they do help us improve our resort for our future and return guests.
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
Reviewed June 16, 2010

Bananarama was the first resort I visited while in Roatan. I was picked up at the airport by a very nice man, he told me about the island and pointed out some key places to visit on our way to the resort. The check in process was easy and they even helped me with the wireless internet when I had trouble getting my computer connected. They have a great staff there, I really enjoyed Susie in the office, she was so sweet and kind! The entire staff as well as the dive shop staff were very nice and helpful. I had a great visit.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
always changing
Reviewed June 15, 2010

For our first trip to Roatan, I think it was the best choice we could have made. We didn't know anyone else who had been there. The dive shop was getting excellent reviews. The information available on the internet made it look pretty good...

We were in a garden room which was supposed to have cool breezes. No such breeze existed during our stay. How many places have I been with a hammock on the front porch that is never used? Yet another... as travelers we are a delirious bunch. Are we not? There was absolutely nothing special about the room except that nothing went wrong either. The plumbing worked, the water in the shower was hot, the A/C worked, and the refrigerator worked after the man jiggled some do-hickey a little. The bed was comfy, the pillows however were lumpy. There were two pillows for the bed, clean sheets, and a blanket for when it got cool. The futon in the living area was the only thing to sit on in the unit, besides the bed. I guess you could sum that up by saying fewer decisions to make while on vacation.... So nothing spectacular went wrong, but nothing spectacular to rave about. Just a basic accommodation.

It seems that the original eco resort has swallowed the bar in front, the dive shop, the Vintage Pearl cabins and restaurant... but I guess they are trying to compete with all the huge resorts being built around it. I fear for the reef off the West End. This much development can't be good.

This was yet another Roatan location we had to deal with some snobby own-it-all types that were visiting the island at the same time. They were obnoxious. I am not sure what they have to do with the resort but these were not low-key individuals.

The staff in the bar are super friendly and make one feel very welcome whether serving up water or a Monkey-La-La. Shout out to Vilma, Stephen and the rest. The place closes down around 930p, which is good if everyone is diving. If you are not diving... just be aware of the closing time. No TV, limited internet access, and no radio. Not a big deal as long as you are prepared. The ladies in the front office were very friendly and helpful. Many cruise ship passengers during the day a few days a week. Quieter in the evening when they are gone. Movies on the beach was fun.

The dive shop gave good service. We sort of went to Roatan because the diving was supposed to be just off the beach, but the reef just off the beach is starting to look a little haggard. Really strange to dive with taxi boats racing overhead. It seems like if the development isn't done right on the rest of the West End, that the reef will suffer. With no reef... what is the point? Still interesting stuff to see, but just plan on a boat ride and a bit of a swell for some of your diving.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RoamNHoliday
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed June 14, 2010

My boyfriend and I went to Roatan for a week in May 2010. We had never been to Roatan and I have to say that the island was amazing. More than that though, was our experience at Bananarama.

The people were amazing, the cabana was nice and clean, and the Vintage Pearl... AMAZING!!!

We will be coming back are telling as many people as possible here in Alberta, Canada to skip Mexico and head a bit more south to Roatan!!!!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank laevens76
Akron, Ohio
Reviewed June 14, 2010

I have been traveling to Roatan now for 3years for business. Whenever possible I prefer to stay with Guy and Tina St Louis at their Bananarama Beach Resort on West Bay Beach.
This rustic little resort is situated in the middle of West Bay Beach. The #1 beach on the island. With sandy beach right at the door of your room and the warm Caribbean water just 100 feet away there couldn't be a more tropical setting on the island. But what makes this a special place to stay is the level of services Guy and Tina deliver to their entire guest. This is not the typical sterile service found at other resort locations. When staying at Bananarama you become part of the resort family. You will feel as though this is your own private paradise hideaway. Additionally Bananarama provide the best diving operation in West Bay and as an added treat they have the best fine dinning experience on the island at the Vintage Pearl Restaurant.
I highly recommend that the next time you visit or the first time you visit Roatan you consider staying at Bananarama. Enjoy!!!

Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
New York City, New York
Reviewed June 9, 2010

helloooo guys! me and my husband stayed at bananarama on may 27,2010 and i have to say that we love this place, we had a great time. the only thing i did not like was the food. sorryyyy but u guys really need to change the menu for some delicious seafood. also the music if u guys can have some live spanish concert it will be awesome.

Also consider these accommodations in or near West Bay
Infinity Bay Spa and Beach Resort
Foster's West Bay
Foster's West Bay
#8 of 14 in West Bay

Been to Bananarama Beach and Dive Resort? Share your experiences!