“Fun in the Sun at Bananarama”

Bananarama Beach and Dive Resort
Ranked #5 of 14 Hotels in West Bay
Reviewed February 16, 2009

Our group of eight rented the King Ocean House at the Bananarama last week and had a splendid relaxing vacation. The house sleeps 10-12 and has a wrap around deck that overlooks the beach. We enjoyed looking down at the bar and beach activities from our deck chairs so noise didn't bother us, but if you want a more quiet stay you may want to rent one of the units away from the bar. The location on West Bay is perfect, right in the center of all of the action and close enough to West End to walk, or go to quickly by taking one of the many sea taxis that were available for $2.50 per person. Owners Jamie, Louis and Louis's father Guy all went out of their way to check in with us to be sure we had everything we needed. We loved the casual atmosphere, bare feet at breakfast, etc. Before we went we read a few negative comments about the breakfasts, but we found them to be changed up every day and very good. We also ate dinner there at the Thirsty Turtle a few times. They frequently offer two for one specials. We particularly liked the coconut shrimp. The staff got to know our first names and treated us very well. In particular Catalina, Anthony, and David were great! The restaurant cooked the fish we caught deep sea fishing for us as well. Happy hours were fun with two for one specialty drinks and five for $5 local beer. Be sure to have a Monkey La La...we should have left with that recipe! There was live music several nights. The new Caribbean Creamery on site had coffee, ice cream and baked goods and even made a special birthday cake for us. The beach is beautiful with light colored sand, a slow gradual slope, and no strong current. World class snorkeling is just a few strokes out from the beach just past the resort. They take great care to comb the beach daily so it is always clean. Cruise Ship days weren't as bad as we expected as we were allowed to go next door to the privacy of the Island Pearl. Plus there was more going on around the beach on cruise ship days. Yes, there were sand fleas and mosquitoes but we were just careful to spray repellant each morning and didn't have a problem. They recommend no deet to protect the reef. While we didn't dive, we hiked, zip lined, sea kayaked, deep sea fished, snorkeled and spent some quiet time in the beach chairs reading. Massages with Edgar were good too. There is something for everyone here.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank m3montana
There are newer reviews for Bananarama Beach and Dive Resort

Reviewed February 15, 2009

I have been traveling around the world for over 19 years. I have never wanted to stay any where. I loved visiting the exotic places but never wanted to stay more than a few days, that is, until now. I have found my little piece of paradice with Bananarama, Jamie, Louis and their amazing staff!
From the moment my husband and I stepped on the property, we were treated like we were the only guests they had to work for. It never changed the entire two weeks we were there. Our room was nestled among the trees and bushes. It felt secluded without being desolate. We had birds and geckos singing to us daily. Every morning we were met not only by the beauty of a beachside view, but a staff who always had smiles on their faces and knew our names. They had our breakfasts to us in no time flat. And just to let you know a little secret, the staff and the owners don't know when to quit when it comes to spoiling their guests. I had a fesh fruit plate every morning, thanks to Louis.
The food was great too. We ate several times at The Vintage Pearl. It got more amazing each time we went. If you want a Filet of beef that will truly melt in your mouth, this is the place to go. It's a five star experience you'll enjoy... especially considering they require you to remove your shoes at the door. The Four Seasons could learn a thing or two from these people.
Lest I forget, I need to mention the Thirsty Turtle. It is the neighborhood bar and grill. Again, Jamie and Louis found the perfect combination of friendly staff and good food. It doesn't matter if you go there at 8 in the morning or 8 at night. You will get fast friendly service. As a little suggestion, have the bartenders make you a little thing called the Monkey La-la. It'll be your favorite thing in no time flat. If you want a laugh, get the guys to try dancing or singing. Tim may even do a bit of impromptu singing on stage. Sabino, Louise, Albert,Yolanda, Anthony, Caroina and the rest of the gang are wonderful beyond words.
I loved chatting about our daily experiences on the island and getting tips on where to explore next.
The hominess of Bananarama is unbelievable, a hammock to lounge in is in front of every room. My husband said there was no better way to end the day than to swing in the hammock while smoking a local hand rolled cigar.
I spent much of my time snorkeling and diving. Let me tell you, when people tell you Roatan has beautiful, breath-taking vistas, they aren't just talking about the flora and fauna on land. The underwater scenery is spectacular. Just 100-200 yds off the beach you can see grand coral formations as well as the occasional sea turtle. The fish are absolutely inspiring.
I know this is a long winded review but I can't say enough great things about our experience with the Bananarama Dive Resort. Truly, if you ever get the opportunity to go, for goodness sakes... TAKE IT! You won't be dissapointed. We are already planning our return visit and we just left there less than 24 hours ago. It is the BEST VACATION EVER!!!

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 14, 2009

This was one of the easest places to stay after the turn down the oneway road that leads to the resort. (the nieboring property wons the rad and will not let tham fix it). The resort is like a oasis . our room was beach front with a large deck and hamoks . When the Cruise ships comein the bach is packed but the keep a area above the bach for guests only and you can just relax and watch the show.
\The diving was some of the best I have done the staff is readyy and willing to help with anything you need and very patient. \i did a mixed air course and the made sure evrything was ready. The most amazing thing for me on a Caribian island was that the dive staff we always on time no island time here. No dive cut short because the started late.
The staff at the Bar was accomadating Sabino and Tim always had a cold beer waiting for us . Some of the other bar staff were slower maybe 3 to 5 minuetes for the firsst beer. and around shift chnage time we have to wait.
The food in the morning the free breakfast was great just tell them that you have to dive and you get for food within 10 Min. the dark haired lady in the red shirt was ont the ball and sometimes had my breakfast ready as I arrived.

Some of the best snorking is rigght in front of the hotel.
Yes the tall black haired rectionest looks bored but was always helpfull. Guy is aways there with a smile and very quick to show you how to work the fan and airconditioning. Once he even had a fan fixed in our room before I could walk back from the office.

I would reccomend this place for a faimly or pople who like to relax.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed February 7, 2009

I booked a room via email... then promptly added a traveler to my group, so needed to upgrade my room - all via email. Louis & Jamie were very flexible and it was all easy.

Everyone is super nice. They're in an excellent location, the bar food seemed better than average for the price and the Vintage Pearl restaurant on the property was hands down the best food we had for our entire stay.

A friend and I took the PADI Open Water with their dive shop. We highly recommend them and Marco is a great instructor, so ask for him.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with friends
1  Thank Ttrrkk
Reviewed January 21, 2009

I've been back for two weeks and I'm still daydreaming about this vacation! When booking, we really didn't know what to expect...but what we found is a place that I pray Hilton never finds! The staff were wonderful! Louis, Guy, and Edwin were incredible at the resort. The dive shop staff were so good to us! I really have to thank Marco, Martin, and Ricardo! I was a bit nervous to dive and they put me at ease and I have a new appreciation for this sport. Our rooms were rustic, CLEAN, and so charming! Dollar beers were standard. The bar made excellent drinks and wonderful conversations were had as well. The sea was beautiful! It was such a great surprise swimming out to the reef which was only a few yards away from the coast. Beautiful coral and wildlife that were seen was such a treat! I'm pretty sure I'll never find a place like this ever again! It is such a bargain and we really felt like our business was appreciated here. This was the best vacation ever!

We are already planning our next trip out for March....it's that good!

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank saraeng
Reviewed January 17, 2009

I don't have a bad thing to say about Bananarama. The location is perfect- right on West Bay beach, the reef right at your toes. It is clean, well managed, the staff is WONDERFUL..thanks again Yolanda, Tim and Edgar!! The dive staff ROCKS! The food at the Thirsty Turtle is great. You get an excellent breakfast in the AM... coffee, juice, breakfast tacos, banana pancakes (a couple of my favorites), and access to yacks and beach chairs.
If you are looking for fancy this is not for you. But this is a clean, comfortable, safe place to stay.
Thanks again Louis & Jamie!

• Stayed: December 2008
2  Thank saucyBaltimore
Reviewed January 12, 2009

This place was all we hoped it would be and more!!! ;0)
We arrived December 20th 2008 and checked out on January 3 2009. There were six of us staying and every single one of us loved this resort. From the minute we arrived we were treated with respect and care. The employees of this resort remembered our names and used them with us after asking permission. The owners Jamie and Louis, are wonderful people and trulely care that your stay with them is everything you expect it to be. We used the dive shop to do our open water referrals and then our advanced open water certification, and we all felt safe and well looked after by Mal and his staff. They are all well trained and know what they are doing. Any questions we had or troubles we came across during our stay were taken care of immediately. The "Thirsty Turtle" was a favorite hang out for us were the food was served hot and delicious. The Happy Hour specials were fun to participate in...who wouldn't like 5 beer for $5US?

If I was going to complain about anything it would be the breakfasts and the lack of choice for those who are not egg eaters as most mornings that is what was served, but when you asked fruit and toast was always available.

My family and I are already trying to decide when we can get back to Bananarama for another vacation!

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with family
Infinity Bay Spa and Beach Resort
Foster's West Bay
Foster's West Bay
#7 of 14 in West Bay

Been to Bananarama Beach and Dive Resort? Share your experiences!