My wife and I purchased a Groupon for four 4 stay at Bananarama. We wont make that mistake again. Should have bought the 7 night stay! We were missing the resort before we even pulled away in the shuttle van. Bananarama is situated in a hopping portion of West Bay, right on top of some of the best diving the island has to offer yet a few steps into the forest from their beachfront and its like you are on a private island with no one else around. The staff is extremely welcoming, helpful and friendly.
We arrived in the afternoon and decided to take a quick walk around the property, a quick stop at the Thirsty Turtle for a Bananarama and a beer and we were sitting in a swing chair watching the sunset. We were stuck there for another 4 hours, unable to move away from the sound of the surf hitting the beach or the feel of the sand under our feet on the Thirsty Turtle's patio. This was no problem since shortly after sitting down we met our waitress Carolina who was more than happy to keep Monkey Lalas, Bananaramas and ice cold Imperial in our reach. She even went as far as to pull a table to us so we could eat our Pizzarama without leaving our spot at the swings. This was far and away the best first night we have ever had traveling and the perfect kickoff to a perfect visit at Bananarama!
Bananarama had so much to offer that we rarely strayed from the resort. They have an activities center right on the beach where you can arrange island tours, zip lining trips, paddleboarding, snorkel tours, trips to Cayos Cohinos and much more if you are looking for some adventure. The onsite full service dive shop is extremely accessible; Marco and Zoe developed a plan to get my Wife certified in our short time frame and still have time for plenty of other fun. The food at the Thirsty Turtle and Pizzarama is to die for and though we didn't make it to the Island Pearl this trip we heard great reviews from other guests for there as well.
We had read that the sand flies and mosquitoes were bad on the island. I don't know if it was Bananarama's pest control procedures or the time of the year but we noticed very little by way of sand flies and the mosquitoes were only seen on a couple of evenings when the breeze died down. My only complaint--if there is one--is cruise ship day. The beach is quite crowded on Wednesdays and Thursdays because of docked cruise ships and the island is almost completely transformed on those days. This is, of course, no fault of Bananarama's and it is just something that guests of any resort will have to endure but it is certainly worth noting. Fortunately we were leaving on Wednesday and didn't have to see the full force of cruise ship visitors but I think we will plan non-beachfront activities for those days on our next trip.
I cannot recommend Bananarama enough and we are already in the process of booking our return visit, this time for 7 days. Or longer!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located directly on West Bay Beach, our Roatan Eco Friendly Dive and Beach Front Resort is blessed with the turquoise waters of the Caribbean shaded under an amazing tropical canopy. We offer an island dream vacation for those who want to escape the stress of everyday life and relax Roatan style. We offer clean, comfortable and affordable rooms with a hammock on every porch and offer free breakfast, wifi, beach chairs, kayaks and smiles. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Travelocity, Hotwire, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com and Cheap Tickets so you can book your Bananarama Beach and Dive Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Bananarama Beach And Dive Hotel West Bay
- Bananarama Dive Hotel
- Hotel Bananarama Dive
- Bananarama Beach And Dive Resort Roatan, Bay Islands, Honduras