“Fun Place to stay and Dive”

Bananarama Beach and Dive Resort
Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in West Bay
Franklin, Tennessee, United States
“Fun Place to stay and Dive”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2014

I stayed here with my wife and our two college kids. The property is literally on the beach and West Bay has one of the most beautiful beaches in the world. That is a huge plus. The rooms were fine. My son slept on a futon and he reported it to be uncomfortable. The dive shop was great and Marcos does a nice job. I give high marks to the dive experience here. The place has a lot going for it. Reason for average rating: Breakfast is included but you get what they have that morning so no choice in breakfast meal. Coffee is pretty bad here. The service at the bar can be poor. Some of the bartenders (Martha especially) don't seem to care if you are served. I had to ask three times for her to serve me a beer (and the bar was not busy at all.)
Next time I will try one of the other resorts on West Bay but we had a great time at Bananarama. They do get the cruise ship people two or three days per week so that is a negative as well.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Tom T
Bananarama03, Owner at Bananarama Beach and Dive Resort, responded to this review, April 13, 2014
Tom,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. Our breakfast is limited to fruit plates, yogurt, cereal and a hot dish that rotates each day. We are also happy to serve on request eggs/toast or other quick/simple breakfast items if the offered selection does not meet your fancy.

We really do try to make sure that our guests are happy... we are in the business of making our guests happy! I will talk to the bartenders and discuss with them the problems you have mentioned.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your thoughts. We look forward to seeing you again.
Louis

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (231)
San Mateo, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2014

I feel like i have stayed at a completely different resort from the rest of the reviewers! Our experience at Bananarama was anything but pleasant. Let me start by saying that they are not a five star hotel, nor do they claim to be. They advertise clean and affordable rooms with great service and that is what we expected. Unfortunately, Bananarama was not any of these things. Our bungalow was very outdated: old tile in the bathroom to the point of looking dirty even when clean, shower that barely has any pressure, uncomfortable bed, broken windows to list a few. Everything smelled of mold and just was not pleasant to look at. The restaurant that had very inattentive stuff and breakfasts that were just bland. Not to mention we found a roach in our room. You have to understand, we stayed at some rustic places before and did not expect posh accommodations but when you are at one of the most beautiful beaches, you at least want to be comfortable - take a nice shower after a dive or nap in the afternoon in a comfortable setting. Bananarama doesn't offer any of this and on top of it the charges an arm and a leg. There are bunch of other resorts on the same beach that offer much more for much less $$.

Room Tip: Go to any other hotel next door - less expansive and more for your money
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Kate R
Kate,

I am very sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us. I wish you would have been upfront with us when you were staying here and we would have made every possible amenity available to you to make sure you enjoyed your vacation. You are correct that we are not a posh resort and we do not offer many luxuries. Our rooms are clean, comfortable and affordable. Our staff is what makes this an amazing place and we are really shooting for the wooden cabana with a hammock out front for all our guests... we like the rustic caribbean feel and we realize it is not for everyone. I would suggest in the future you read tripadvisor reviews completely before you book... I think there is plenty of feedback here about places on West Bay Beach and feel you made a poor choice in your vacation accommodations for what you were needing... Concrete structures, granite countertops and pools can be found at other resorts.

Thank you again for your feedback and we hope to see you again as a patron for our restaurants.
Colorado Springs, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2014 via mobile

Just returned from a wonderful week of diving and relaxing, a nice escape from the final cold days of Colorado. The resort was nice but the real winner were the people at Bananarama. Denise in reception was pleasant and helpful. Carolina working evenings in the restaurant was incredibly sweet, prompt and a true gem! Zoe and Edwin made a fantastic pair as our dive master and boat captain. Zoe was incredibly knowledgeable, competent and had a relaxed demeanor that allowed me to grow my diving confidence and ability. My only slight complaint is that sometimes we waited for the wait staff (except Carolina) a bit longer than would have liked. Once I relaxed and accepted the "island time" philosophy, all was good!

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Tamara,

We are looking forward to having you back soon. Carolina has been with us for 7 years now and knows most of our return guests by heart! I am really happy to hear that you enjoyed our staff as they are what makes Bananarama such a great place.

Thank you for sharing your experience and we look forward to seeing you soon.
Winner, South Dakota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2014

I can't even put into words the atmosphere and environment at Bananarama. The staff were amazing and hospitable. They literally treated you like you belonged there. The place is very chill and relaxed. Our favorite server was Dishon. He went above and beyond to make our experience on the island unforgettable. The bartenders were amazing, the front desk reception great, even the guards were helpful and friendly, and also, Franklin, in activities stood out. We stayed March 17-21, 2014 in room #22. The housekeeper was friendly and she did an amazing job. All the little touches made it that much better. Our room was spacious, beautiful and clean. This vacation was above and beyond what we could have imagined. We love the island and plan to come back many more times. Also, the fact that Bananarama supports the Clinica Esperanza was very important to us! Thank you for an amazing time.

Room Tip: Room #22 is right in all the action. Loved it!
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Anne,

Thank you for taking the time to share you experience with us and future guests. We greatly appreciate your comments and I will tell Dishon you said hello:) Room number 22 is a guest favorite for being close to the beach and activities. We do support Clinic Esperanza as a portion of each night you stay with us pays for the clinics medicine they give for free to patients in the clinic.

Thank you again for your sharing your thoughts and we hope to see you again soon.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2014

My wife and I stayed here for a week in March of 2014. My wife's parents also traveled with us. When I called to reserve two rooms for the four of us, we were offered what was basically a duplex cabana- a little house set off by itself but divided in half with each half having its own front porch (with hammock, table, and chairs), separate entrance, living room (with kitchenette, twin bed, and dining table and chairs), bathroom, and bedroom. The units were air conditioned and had ceiling fans as well as windows with screens. The walls were thick enough that we never heard any sound from the side of the building my in-laws were in. With this set up, we had ample privacy when we wanted it, but were able to hang out together on our respective porches as well.

The resort location could not have been better: right in the middle of West Bay Beach, the most beautiful beach in the world. The Thirsty Turtle restaurant is right on site and had a large menu with different specials every day we were there. The Thirsty Turtle staff were great about accommodating my need for gluten free food, both during the included breakfast and when we ordered lunch and dinner. There are also a number of other restaurants nearby, including near West Bay Mall (a short walk away from the beach), up and down the beach at other resorts, and in West End (a 10 minute water taxi ride away).

My wife and I completed our Open Water diving certification during the first 2.5 days of our trip, and went on almost a dozen fun and adventure dives with Bananarama afterward. The instructors and dive masters were top notch and went out of their way to make sure we were comfortable, were aware of all safety procedures, had been provided all the gear we needed, and were enjoying every aspect of each dive. We look forward to diving with Marco, Zoe, Lanita, Daniel, and Katy again. The gear provided by the dive shop was great quality and included everything we needed (I even used a mask from the dive shop because it was higher quality than the one I'd brought with me). The dive groups were relatively small in size- there were never more than 8 divers per dive boat and 2 of the dives I went on only had 4 divers other than the dive master.

We also enjoyed snorkeling right off of the beach in front of the resort and at other spots a short walk away up and down the beach. The visibility under water was amazing and there was plenty to see a few fin kicks from shore (including corals, sponges, fans, fish, and many other things). We saw an octopus a few feet from shore in broad daylight.

My in-laws are not divers, so when they were not snorkeling, they were enjoying various excursions booked through the on-site activity center, including a day-long tour throughout the entire island, a private boat ride through the mangroves, visits to nearby wildlife preserves, and a tour of a nearby village.

As we were flying home, my wife and I agreed that the only thing that could have made this vacation better would have been staying longer. We are looking forward to returning to Bananarama soon, hopefully this fall.

Room Tip: Rooms 15 and 16 are two sides of a duplex cabana that is in a perfect location- near the middle of t...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Bananarama03, Owner at Bananarama Beach and Dive Resort, responded to this review, March 25, 2014
Matthew,

It was great having you at our resort and we are really happy to hear that you enjoyed your vacation with us and we look forward to your return:) Rooms 15 and 16 are some of our best located rooms and we are really happy you were able to stay in them as a family.

Our diveshop is amazing and our instructors are really highly skilled, down to earth type people and we are really glad they are all part of our incredible team. Extended stays are always welcome and we recommend flying on United or AA on Thursday and coming back the following weekend for a full 10 days of fun without missing much extra in terms of a work week:)

Thank you for your recommendation and we look forward to seeing you again soon.
West Des Moines, Iowa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2014

Traveled with a dive group and rented the King Suite that overlooks the beach, all I can say is WOW!! This is a place you should take 2 weeks to visit as you won't want to leave after 1. The dive operator is top notch and I recommend them to everyone I know that dives. Best drink......the Nutty Monkey! If you like Wendy's shakes, you'll love these, but it's easy to drink too many too! All in all, stay here!

Room Tip: Any room is good here. Just down the drive is a restraint owned by an American that serves local far...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank kparkins22
Bananarama03, Owner at Bananarama Beach and Dive Resort, responded to this review, March 24, 2014
I deeply appreciate your recommendation, feedback and we hope to see you again soon:) Our bartenders are amazing and are an important part of each guests experience... from making juice in the morning to assisting with guests beverages throughout the day they do a great job and I am extremely happy you enjoyed their service. We look forward to having you stay with us again soon.
Monrovia, Indiana
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2014

This was our 4th stay at bananarama , as a travel agent I usually don't do repeat vacation's but we love the staff at this resort and the beach. As usual Carolina was fantastic she greets u with a smile and makes ur stay so great, she is a great waitress and seems to always b working hard. Also Dishon was great he was always there with a smile and ready to get us anything we needed, Albert also did a great job.We stayed in the owner's villa which was a little big for 4 but was good.
In whole we had a great vacation my only complaint this time would b in our past visits bananarama guest had a place just for them to sit on cruise ship days for lunch. They no longer are doing this and we had to fight the cruise ship people for a seat for lunch. It's actually just easier to walk down beach and get lunch somewhere else. I think they should put their own guest before cruise ship people, I'm staying a week not just a few hours, that was my biggest complaint oh and the power going out all the time but the resort can't help this. In whole I totally recommend this resort, they just need to go back to some old policy's they used to have to make their guest feel important.

Jill Cooper
monrovia travel and cruise
www.monroviatravelandcruise.com

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank cooper1231
Jill,

Thank you for your recommendation and for your fourth visit! I will look into why we stopped reserving tables on cruise-ship days.... I really thought it was a great idea why we were doing it and it worked very well. The power as of late has been very spotty which is unusual, but I am told West Bay is getting its own power plant here in the next year which should solve a great deal of the problems we are having.

We look forward to seeing you again soon and thank you for your feed back.
Also consider these accommodations in or near West Bay
#5 of 14 in West Bay
Foster's West Bay
Foster's West Bay
#8 of 14 in West Bay

Been to Bananarama Beach and Dive Resort? Share your experiences!