1,401 results
All reviews thirsty turtle vintage pearl garden cabana crab races movie night live music cruise ship laid back west end fun activities office staff coconut shrimp fish great diving front porch the wait staff lounge chairs
Reviewed June 29, 2013

Bananarama was the perfect place to stay. Delicious food, beautiful beach, fantastic snorkeling, nightly entertainment and great service sum up our stay. Brittney, Sarah, and Silvi in the office were extremely helpful and cheerful. Julio was great at scheduling excursions without pushing us to do anything extra. Loved everything about our week long stay. Highly recommend staying here.

Room tip: The Villas are right on the beach and a great place to stay. Close to the action yet far enough away to be peaceful and somewhat secluded.
Date of stay: May 2013
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 28, 2013

Bananarama has an undeniably beautiful location on West Bay beach, but this is a very long beach; all the resorts there have a great location. While I enjoyed my first stay here, I no longer think this is a great value for the money. And this is coming from someone who used to be a fan and was recommending this place to friends a few years ago! Management seems to have changed in between my visits to Roatan, however. If you try to book with them, read the fine print: they have added a mandatory "charity fee" of $2 per night to the booking charge, which they claim will support local charities. They don't say who these charities are, and the fact that this donation is compulsory seems highly suspicious. How is it charity if you're being forced to do it? Don't get me wrong: I would be happy to help a local Honduran charity, but I don't believe for a second that this money is going anywhere besides to the resort. Why don't we get donation receipts detailing the amount and the recipient (like we would with any other charity)? The breakfast that comes with your fee is pretty average - if it hadn't been rolled into the price, I can honestly say we would never have eaten there. I also had a very negative experience with them when trying to get a refund that they fully admitted - in writing - that they owed me. But while they admitted it, the catch was that they mysteriously didn't have the ability to credit my card (though they had no trouble charging it in the first place). They claimed the refund check was "in the mail," but week after week it never arrived. Thankfully my credit card company agreed this was fraudulent behavior and credited my card. So - you might enjoy your stay here if you don't require any kind of customer service (and if you don't care that the breakfast you paid for is mediocre or that you're being forced to contribute to an invisible charity). Just cross your fingers and hope nothing goes wrong and you don't need to ask or anything. Trust me, there are better options. I will say, though, that the fine-dining restaurant on the grounds of the resort - "The Vintage Pearl" (this is not the same place where you eat your breakfast, which is the "Thirstly Turtle" bar on the beach"): Vintage Pearl is expensive, but worth every penny. If you have a special event to celebrate, it's quite a treat. As far as I know the ownership is independent from the resort itself. Also, I've had no complaints about the dive shop that operates within the resort. Highly professional and helpful bunch working there. Luckily you are welcome to frequent both of these fine businesses, restaurant and dive shop - and even the Thirsty Turtle if you want to - without actually staying at this resort.

Date of stay: July 2012
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
2  Thank Catherine F
Reviewed June 19, 2013

My husband and I and our two young adult children stayed here for three nights this past week. We chose this resort because it was highly ranked on tripadvisor and had a dive shop on the property. We had a very enjoyable time and hope to return someday. Location: the resort is located on about one and a half acres of land right on the beach in West Bay on Roatan. This is essentially the southwestern tip of the island and is about 20 minutes from the airport. The resort will pick you up at the airport for $25, well worth it. We (the parents) stayed in cabin #2, one of about 5 one-room cabins with one queen bed, a bathroom, and a sitting area and hammock on a small front porch. These cabins are brightly painted and decorated but are basically small, wooden structures. Our kids stayed in #22 which was closer to the beach and consisted of a large el-shaped room with a queen bed in each leg and a larger bathroom, kitchenette, and dining table. This room was large enough to be quite comfortable. Beds were comfortable. Rooms have A/C but do not have TV's or phones. WiFi is available throughout the resort. Each room is provided with a 5 gallon bottle of water for drinking, brushing teeth etc. The tap water is very soft and smells slightly of sulfur; we did not drink it. The dive shop on the premises is busy so make reservations ahead if you can. Our son had to wait a day before he could be fit into the schedule. The bar/grill area on the premises has very good food, as good as any we found in West Bay (reviewed separately). The bar area is lively and different activities are planned for each day at lunch and/or dinner. One night was karaoke, one lunch was a one-man band, and another dinner was a three man band. We also tried the ice cream from the small convenience store and it was very tasty. Breakfast is included and typically there is a choice on one hot entree or some combination of fruit, cereal or yogurt. The beach directly in front of the hotel is good for bathing. The sand is fine and waves are tiny - if present at all (perfect for small kids). We rented snorkel equipment at the resort and walked left down the beach to the "wall" and snorkeled among the coral reefs. We also borrowed a two person kayak from the resort and enjoyed paddling along the beach. There are quite a number of other resorts (mostly more upscale), several restaurants, and some new condo complexes on the beach adjacent to this resort. However I think this resort is the best value for your money. The people who work there are friendly and make you feel welcome, even if you are there just a short time. Clientele seems to be mostly Americans and Canadians, but we also saw folks from Europe and Central America. Note that it is much cheaper to get to this resort by flying to San Pedro Sula and transferring to a Honduran airline than flying direct from the US. As to safety, there were guards patrolling the property and also stationed at the beach and town entrances at all times. The town of West Bay is about 300 yards from the resort, just one block up a dirt access road.

Room tip: All the rooms are very close to the beach. The only disadvantage of being in the smaller cabins at the back of the resort is that twice a day there was some noise from the air compressor in the dive shop as they filled the oxygen tanks. I mention this only in case someone is very sensitive to noise.
Date of stay: June 2013
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed June 13, 2013 via mobile

This is the place to stay in West Bay!! Great location, there's a Reef right off the hotel Beach, just a short walk away! It's beautiful ! The Rooms are very nice and you can't beat the free breakfast everyday. The Hotel Staff was excellent, so friendly ! I will definitely recommend the Bananarama Resort !

Date of stay: April 2013
Reviewed June 11, 2013

I stayed only 2 nights in this hotel - fortunately. The location of the hotel is good, just next to West Bay beach, the ground is well kept. We had the cabana no 13, very avarage, not really clean, hot and noisy. Altough this is a beach hotel in a remote island, for this price I expected a bit more.
The breakfast was awful, I really questioned the hygenic conditions of the kitchen. Lunch and dinner we always had at the next door hotel, cheaper and better quality.
The staff was so unfriendly, rude, bored and unpolite, horrible service, except the dive centre. If I stay longer in Roatan, for sure change hotel.
I chose Banarama based on the reviews and I was really surprised having this bad experience.

Date of stay: June 2013