“Beautiful Resort, Great Vacation!”

Bananarama Beach and Dive Resort
Ranked #5 of 14 Hotels in West Bay
Reviewed April 21, 2013

We stayed at Bananarama for five days in April 2013. We were in room 14 which is an upstairs room facing inland. There were wonderful breezes nearly every day. No bugs, not even sand fleas. Great food and drink specials every day and wonderful free breakfasts. Snorkeling is great off the beach, rent equipment and enjoy! Steve, one of the owners was always available and very friendly. Servers and security guards were awesome as well. Ladies, be sure to walk down the beach to the right, just past Henry Morgan resort to visit Karma Jewelry, for beautiful one of a kind jewelry. Karla is only there from 10 to 1 daily and if you have something in mind, ask and she will have it for you a couple days later.
Loved Bananarama Dive Resort, guests from other properties came here for dinner and drinks every day! No need for a pool, the sea was our pool. We spend a couple hours a day in the water and it was fun to meet other travelers from all over the world!

Room Tip: Room 14 Upper facing inland, quiet and great breeze.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Bananarama Beach and Dive Resort

Reviewed April 17, 2013

I had dove before with Banarama in 2009 but this time I was coming in on a Western Carribean cruise. I contacted them directly and they picked us up at the cruise dock, took us to the resort, then we got a drink, got to snorkel and swim and had a really great day. They took care of everything and got us back to the ship on time. Next time I'll stay there instead of on the ship.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 15, 2013

Just finished my 10th stay at Bananarama Beach & Dive Resort (April 6-13). This is a great time to visit Roatan as the crowds are small, the weather is perfect (mid 80's, no rain) and for divers and snorkelers the marine life is more varied than at some other times of year. The resort is at the far west end of the island in the community of West Bay. This means you have less wind and great sunsets. The reef is straight off the beach and within easy swimming distance. The reef at the south end of the bay is closer to shore, in shallower water and has less boating activity than the north end. This time while snorkeling I saw eagle rays, sting rays, a moray eel, and a spiny lobster in addition to all of the regular ree fish.

As I have stated in previous reviews I keep returning to Bananarama because of the friendly staff, the resort's location at the center of West Bay Beach and their very resonable prices. I have been at Bananarama enough times that I feel less like I'm going to a resort and more like i am staying with family.

I have never stayed anywhere that puts a greater emphasis on customer service. Although I didn't have any issues that needed to be addressed on this trip in my experience the current ownership team of Jamie, Jeff & Robin are quick to take care of any problem. Many thanks to Odaliz and Marleny for keeping my room spotless which was not easy as I am a sloppy bachelor. Breakfast is free and changes every day, and at both lunch and breakfast the service from Carolina, Jessica, Shanny, Alfonso and Alberto was great.

After hot days spent in and around the water, cooling off at the Thirsty Turtle beach bar is pure enjoyment. The resort schedules entertainment each night to keep things interesting (live bands, crab races, karaoke, etc.). Great to see "Tiger" Tim back behind the bar. Also excellent service from Derry, Edison, and Zeeby. Thanks to you guys and Alberto for the authentic island lunch. A special thank you to Sandra who kept a smile on her face even while listening to all of my boring stories.

If you are thinking of staying here I believe that the fact that I have stayed here 10 times speaks for itself.

Room Tip: Beachfront rooms 15 & 16 have ocean views, are close to everything, yet far enough off the beach...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank ba1_10
Reviewed April 14, 2013

We had been to Bananarama for a day pass while on a cruise and loved it. We called ahead directly and the reception team could not be more helpful. They arranged the cab, our lunch and a chair for the day. We truly felt "at home." Danery was as pleasant as could be and when I needed to ask a question, Denise didn't bat an eye at answering it for me.

For this reason, we came back again this year and again was met with fantastic hospitality. Danery and Denise were excellent again. We met Victoria, Sarah and Silvi as well. They all were so nice, accommodating and pleasant!

As a result of back to back positive experiences, we are making plans to come and stay a week. They have successfully "stole" us from the cruise ships!

See you soon!
Judy and Mike Servidio

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 12, 2013

My wife and I went on this trip on early march 2013. We were very pleased with the staff as we arrived from the airport. That same day we were saying goodbye snow hello sun!

We were in a room with the Garden View Cabana option, which means we were in there to sleep and shower. Talking of the shower, that would be the only negative thing I'd say about the place, the hot water pressure was close to none. If you'd like a tour of our room, follow this link: http://youtu.be/HzFWjEc1pOs

The mosquitos weren't too bad at that time a year, but we managed a few bites a day, mostly at sunset. By the beach, take away the vendors and you have THE PLACE! I mean, who can snorkel from their hotel beach and see LOTS of fish? We could!

If you like beer, there is a mini mart accessible from the beach. We bought a 24 of local beer for $45+ $10 deposit. We left them in the mini fridge of our room! We could drink them on the beach. Just make sure to bring those back.

The hotel also provides you with filtered water in a 18L jug. If you empty it, they'll refill it for free. If you are a coffee lover, there are a few places to try, but go to the (very small) mall (2 min walk) and get yourself a treat. You can also buy coffee to bring back home.

Why is this review called BANAAANAAA DONUT? Well, if you end up going there, there is a guy that come every day and sells his banana donuts. Everyone knows him on the island. Can't miss him when you see him. Listen for his song and make sure to grab a donut!

Happy travels.

• Stayed: March 2013
3  Thank Philephanie
Reviewed April 10, 2013

We spent nine days at Bananarama with our two boys and gma to babysit while we went diving. The beach is white sand and very calm on most days since this is not on the windy side so the four year old could just run out and swim. The brick oven pizza is great and I recommend doing all inclusive since you get three restaurants to choose from: pizza, main outdoor thirsty turtle and lunch at the fancy vintage pearl (and one night dinner included). The compound is well guarded (more to keep the cruise ship folk out than for safety!!) and the kids ran around on their own. I suggest doing your dives in the morning on the days the cruise ships come in (T,W,Thurs from December to April 18th) that way you avoid a crowded beach and people competing for your bartenders attention. The garden area is closed off to them so there is a secluded beach area to be. they all leave at three then it's peaceful. A two tank dive takes to 1:30 anyway. I highly recommend a night dive to wee the bioluminescent "strings of pearl" but we took our 10 year old out to the point after sunset to see it since there's reef so close to the beach. the highlight for him tough was actually scuba diving on a discovery dive. All the dive masters were great and helpful, not snooty like many are (Marc, Daniel, Martin and Zoe). 8 and 9 year olds can "snuba'. Zip lining is worth it but not other excursions. There's a nice island feel to the place.

Room Tip: The front villas in Island pearl are right on the courtyard by the beach but only have a queen and 2...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank leighton v
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Traveled with 2 couples, and each couple had their own cabin for the "dive and sizzle" package, which had 10 boat dives and food included.

The cabin itself was nice. Nothing great, but I can't really say anything bad about it. Comfy bed, ceiling fan, A/C, a safe, and a fridge. The bathroom was decent-sized. There is a bucket filled with water outside of your cabin that they fill every day so you can rinse the sand off of your feet.

The bar/restaurant was good for breakfast, but had the same small menu for both lunch and dinner. As our package included food, it got tiresome eating the same thing twice a day every day. But breakfast was good, and the bar would have movie nights, trivia nights, etc to make the evening fun.

The diving was fantastic. Top rate dive shop. Although it was obnoxious that despite having 75 dives and a dive computer, the dive master would get mad if we would drop below 60 feet because we are only basic certified. Seriously?

One of the best things about this resort is the beach. Most dive resorts I have stayed at claim to have a "beach," which ends up being a small sandy patch in front of rocks. This is a beautiful beach, and as long as there isn't a cruise ship in port, you will only be sharing it with about a dozen other people. Cruise ship days, however, are quite hectic.

Overall, in our next trip to Roatan, we will definitely stay here again. Great diving, beautiful beach, although the food is only so-so.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Infinity Bay Spa and Beach Resort
Foster's West Bay
Foster's West Bay
#7 of 14 in West Bay

Been to Bananarama Beach and Dive Resort? Share your experiences!