WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Bananarama Beach and Dive Resort

Bananarama Beach and Dive Resort
Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in West Bay
Portland, Maine
“Steps from the beach with incredible people”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 25, 2012

This hotel was awesome. It gives you a more rustic feel than other hotels on the island and still has most of the luxuries of the others. The employees were absolutely unmatched. I usually like to do a lot of exploring, but ended up spending almost every night at the Thirsty Turtle. Zebby, Derry, Eddison, Angela & Sandra at the bar were incredible entertainment! Before I was used to the currency conversion, I accidentally left a waiter a $20 tip at breakfast and he ended up finding my room and asking if I meant to. Their on site massages from Edgar are also a must-do. The activities staff was very helpful, we set up a trip with Franklin and it was awesome, he brought us places we NEVER would have found on our own, I loved the spider monkeys. I'll definitely be going back.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Amy M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (214)
Lausanne, Switzerland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2012

This is a must go! our waiter on the thirsty turtle, Victor Palacios, was amazing! Me and my wife could not be anymore happy! our only problem was with the activity center, dont take the snorkeling + dolphin show + starfish, its a complete rip-off!!!!!! the "show" is just being on a boat that goes near the place were the dolphins are... then they show you 2 or 3 starfishes on the boat, the they take you to a very bad place for snorkeling... we paid 45$ each for that... then we found out that you can get the same trip at the beach for 15$!
but the rest is perfect, we were on a very calm week of december not too many people so it was very relaxing, the hotel is great and clean. the diving is also great!! we will go back for sure!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Rodrigo C
Murfreesboro, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2012

This coming June will be my fourth time staying at Bananarama. Honestly, I think that says enough. The staff is friendly, the food is a tasty and a great deal, and if you are diving, you can not beat the dive shop. I've been diving with other outfitters on the island, but as soon as I dove with Banarama the first time, I knew I had found my home away from home.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank lrzmartino
Manitou Springs, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2012

This was my first experience at a Dive Resort after getting my dive certification, and was very satisfied with the beautiful Villas at Vintage Pearl (with help in scheduling from Jane, Sara, and others); and ate every meal at the Thirsty Turtle and Pizzarama (without being 'All Inclusive') because the food was so good, and enjoyed the fun and friendly staff (Zebbie, Jennie, and others). Also, not too many owners, such as Louis and Jeff, would take the time to make sure all our needs were taken care of and that we were happy! With our 10 dive package, I can't say enough about Dive Masters, Marco and Mal, and Captain Emanuel, for a fabulous diving experience on the beautiful Reef surrounding the Island of Roatan. Every dive I do will be compared with my experience with my very patient and skilled Dive Master 'Marco', and the variety of diving at the Mesoamerican Reef.

Room Tip: The Villas are great for quiet and secluded settings, and Queen/King Garden rooms are also recommend...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank CletaGarden
Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2012

At Bananarama, you have everything.
Great Staff - Honest, awesome customer service
Best Beach in the island
Entertainment
Great food
Bananarama makes you feel at home, verious staff members showed a personal interest to all of us. Our friend had been feeling sick before we arrived at the hotel and Carolina, our waiter, gave him some house remedies to make him feel better. She was checking up on him throughout our stay. (it must've worked!!!!!!!!!he was fine the next day after feeling sick for 3 days)
Victor was also one of our favorite waiters as well as Dolly. Thanks Guys!!!!
Everyone at Thirsty Turtle was class act, they followed thru with the drink special of the day after we had suggested caipirinhas. GOOD AND STRONG, thanks Angela Rodezno and Steven Raymond, I'm craving one right now.
Something that impressed me the most was customer service amongst all staff, including owners. My sister-in-law lost her wallet various times and one of the security guards found it on the beach late at night without us know about it. He showed up at our room and gave it to us. Sorry I couldnt get his name, but he always had a Washington Nationals baseball hat.
The other time that she lost her wallet was in a taxi cab, after going to the receptionist, she called Gamero (taxi driver) and he found it and returned it at the hotel later that night.
Never expected meeting amazing people at Bananarama.
There was several couples that visited bananarama from other hotels near by, but always came to Bananarama for great entertainment and better staff service than their hotel.
All the guards work 12hr shifts everyday and always staying on top of their job, making sure we feel safe, and at times, watching our personal items on the beach while we would kayak or do ohter water activities. It would be nice if they worked less hour shifts to spend more time with their famalies, they deserve it!!!!!
The pizza was delicious at pizzarama, best pizza in the island, and the best one I've had since going to Italy a few years ago.

Room Tip: Beach Villas are the quietest rooms at the hotel.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Jose J
Houston, TX
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2012

Just got back from a cruise that stopped in Roatan, Honduras. We booked a day trip to hang out on the beach at this resort. $35 per person for R/T private transfers, 2 drinks, and beach lounge chairs. Even though it rained the whole time we were there it was still a great place to relax, enjoy the music, and chill. I also got a massage (arranged by Julio) in the lovely and private tree house massage room. Edgar, the massage therapist was wonderful. professional and an excellent therapist. I would definitely go back to this resort again, whether for the day on a cruise or even to stay a while.

Room Tip: Did not stay in a room although we did look ata one of the villas on the beach.....perfect!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank Cruzfool
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2012 via mobile

Just got back from a cruise that stopped in Roatan, Honduras. Steven Raymond & Angela Rodezno were our awesome bartenders and we had a blast. Great service, great drinks, and an overall great time! If you are visiting Roatan, definitely check it out! There was live music, games, swings at the bar, and lots of beach activities.

Stayed December 2012