If you are looking for a beachy atmosphere in an unspoiled environment, you'll love Bananarama. We felt like we were in an enchanted forest the whole time! It's as charming as it gets, and the place just makes you feel like all your cares are gone. From the minute you arrive, everybody there makes you feel like family. The ladies in the office saw me come in to register, and immediately started calling me by name. Talk about personal attention!
Other resorts may have a highly "touristy" feel, but they don't have the comfortable feel and atmosphere of the Bananarama. One day we paid $10 to use the pool at the Mayan Princess, but even though we enjoyed it, we kept saying that we were glad to be at Banarama instead of there---it was nice to go "home" at the end of the day.
The owners of Bananarama treat you like you're the only guests there. Louis even told me, "If you need anything after 10pm, when the office closes, just come knock on my door." I've never had any other hotel owner tell me that, and especially as he was actually pointing out his house. It made us feel safe and well cared for.
Their office staff also functions as a concierge, so any phone calls you need done, such as for island attractions or about your flights or whatever, just ask. Unbelievably helpful and accommodating.
Bananarama is what might be called a "happening" place. They have a Mariarchi band at night---at least they did during "Semana Santa" (a big holiday week, the week before Easter). They seem to have something for everyone. They also have free kayaking for their guests, and they give you a coupon for a free drink at the bar. We rented a DVD player for $5 for the week and paid $5 for the use of the safe for a week too. Extremely reasonable.
Every morning I got up early and sat at the tables by the sea. As if by magic, suddenly about 6 men would appear and start raking the sand. They raked the whole area to ready it for the day, so the area was always perfectly clean.
There is a little restaurant behind the bar where you can order food during the day and eat it at the tables on the beach. That restaurant was one of only two restaurants that we actually liked in West Bay (the other was the Pizzeria one block to the west). Their local food is just US$7.00 a plate, which is a bargain for Roatan, and it's wonderful if you like a Caribbean taste. Their other menu items are also wonderful, but we especially liked the island food.
We took other folks' advice and applied mosquito spray daily with the magic ingredient Deet---it worked. We also used the outdoor foot tubs Banarama provides, to keep sand out of the room.
We're all seasoned travelers, including to beaches all over the world. None of us will ever forget our fantastic and relaxing experience in Roatan, made all the more mesmerizing because of the Bananarama!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located directly on West Bay Beach, our Roatan Eco Friendly Dive and Beach Front Resort is blessed with the turquoise waters of the Caribbean shaded under an amazing tropical canopy. We offer an island dream vacation for those who want to escape the stress of everyday life and relax Roatan style. We offer clean, comfortable and affordable rooms with a hammock on every porch and offer free breakfast, wifi, beach chairs, kayaks and smiles. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Cancelon, Hotwire, Agoda, Cheap Tickets, getaroom.com and TripOnline SA so you can book your Bananarama Beach and Dive Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Bananarama Beach And Dive Hotel West Bay
- Bananarama Dive Hotel
- Hotel Bananarama Dive
- Bananarama Beach And Dive Resort Roatan, Bay Islands, Honduras