We recently stayed at Bananarama and had an overall positive experience. The setting is beautiful, we were fortunate in having great weather (except the day we left, it was windy and rainy...not a bad day to leave!) and the staff went out of their way to make sure that our stay was pleasant. The few minor issues that we had were quickly resolved to our satisfaction.
The Thirsty Turtle restaurant/bar on the property served good food. The burgers, the ceviche, and the boneless Buffalo wings, and the Cobb Salad were favorites. The island has an issue with deliveries...they are at the mercy of their suppliers, so some days some items were not available. Oh, well, have another Barena and choose something else! No problem. The electricity was frequently out as well, but the property's generator kept the lights on, though it was loud (can't help that). We hope that Roatan has plans to upgrade its ancient electric plant.
The rooms are charmingly rustic, with a safe, refrigerator, coffee maker, warm water for showers, and a comfortable bed. We spent a lot of time on our deck in the mornings and evenings and it was very convenient to the beach. The TV was out most of the time and the remote did not operate properly, but except for wanting to see who won the March 4 primaries, we didn't care to watch TV anyway. We certainly had value for our money. Where else can you stay in the Caribbean in view of the water for less than $100/night including a tasty breakfast?
The property does cater to cruise shippers and a few days we had to share our paradise with the cruisers. We had a separate part of the beach and a few days we just found other things to do. It was kind of entertaining watching everyone and they don't stay more than a few hours.
Snorkeling is a short walk to the left at the end of the beach. It was pretty good, saw lots of fish and a school of squid and some corals. None of us dove, but it looked like the dive shop was busy.
The owners of the property have obviously put a lot of work into it and have plans for a lot more. They've done a nice job so far and we wish them well.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located directly on West Bay Beach, our Roatan Eco Friendly Dive and Beach Front Resort is blessed with the turquoise waters of the Caribbean shaded under an amazing tropical canopy. We offer an island dream vacation for those who want to escape the stress of everyday life and relax Roatan style. We offer clean, comfortable and affordable rooms with a hammock on every porch and offer free breakfast, wifi, beach chairs, kayaks and smiles. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Orbitz, Expedia, Travelocity and Agoda so you can book your Bananarama Beach and Dive Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Bananarama Beach And Dive Hotel West Bay
- Bananarama Dive Hotel
- Hotel Bananarama Dive
- Bananarama Beach And Dive Resort Roatan, Bay Islands, Honduras