“Easy snorkeling. Great people-watching.”
Review of West Bay Beach

and up
Zipline, Monkey and Parrot watching plus Beach Resort Combo Tour in Roatan
Ranked #1 of 18 things to do in West Bay
More attraction details
Owner description: West Bay is what many consider the picture-perfect Caribbean destination: white sand, clear, calm waters and full service resorts. The variety of water activities include scuba diving, fishing charters, snorkeling and parasailing. Scuba diving and other outfitters leave directly from the beach so starting your water-based activities is easy and convenient.
Henderson, Colorado
32 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 63 helpful votes
“Easy snorkeling. Great people-watching.”
Reviewed January 13, 2013

My wife and I were a couple of the cruise-people other reviewers have been complaining about. We took a day-trip to Mayan Princess All Inclusive. Seems like a very nice place. The buffet meal they served was tasty, the bar service was fast, and there were waitstaff that came to the beach to take orders.
The beach had quite a few chairs on it, some in reserved areas, but we never felt the beach was crowded. The population was far less dense than a weekend at Miami Beach, Waikiki, or Huntington Beach. The vendors took a polite "no" for an answer and moved on. We were not bothered.
The water was clear while we were snorkeling, and the reef was easy to swim or walk out to. All the beach areas we walked to were well-maintained, and clean.
The drive from the airport was not untypical of an island in the caribbean. We expect to see people living differently than we do when we travel. If we wanted wide, smooth highways through subdivisions with a fast-food restaurant on every corner, then we would stay home.
We would consider a more extended vacation on Roatan, maybe on West Bay.

Visited January 2013
4 Thank Dannyandcindy

• Czech first
Templeton, California
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Beautiful but...”
Reviewed January 13, 2013

There is a trash problem after the rain. Although this beach is gorgeous, after a rainy night plastic trash and old shoes wash up on the shore. If it wasn't for the hotels providing clean up on their beachfront, West Beach would have an entirely different feel to it.

Visited December 2012
1 Thank jentrout
La Plata
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“best beach ever!”
Reviewed January 12, 2013

you can walk along the beach at any time, beautiful place! white sand, very clean, all the way you can find bars to drink something and it's the best place to snorkel around the reef at the end of the beach

Visited July 2012
Ottawa, Canada
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Beautiful Beach - but bring insect repellant”
Reviewed January 9, 2013

I visited West Bay Beach from Dec. 10-17th and stayed at Infinity Spa and Resort which is fanastic, however, there are several resorts on this bay. The beach is beautiful. It is pure sand with no rocks and you can walk out into the water for quite a distance and just stay in the water for hours. The water is clear and is great for snorkelling and shore scuba diving. I was there for scuba diving and the coral reefs are within a five minute boat ride. The reefs are amazing; there is so much to see and the coral is in great condition. I got pictures scuba diving and snorkelling.

But let me tell you two stories about this beach. When I was there it was not overcrowded; even so each resort has it's lounge area on the beach. The best time for me was my 6:00 am stroll on the beach. This is a bay that has a nice long area to walk taking you past resorts and a market. One morning as I was walking and marvelling at the beauty of the beach, a vendor was setting up a display of paintings done by Alvin Roberto Welcome (on Facebook). It was his brother who than explained the works to me and the Roatan artist. One of Alvin's paintings is hanging in the lobby of Infinity Bay Spa and Resort; I bought one painting of West Bay Beach and one of the stilt houses in Punta Gorda. One was a gift and the other I treasure in my home. To come across these beautiful works on a beautiful early morning walk was magical to me. So about the beach vendors...

My second story is about the West Bay market which you can access right off the beach. It's a marvellous little place. There you will find Roatan pottery which is black and beige. I purchased one piece on my last trip to Roatan and was able to buy a second piece in the market. But the greatest thing, was the beach vendor just outside the market. He was selling jewelry (women and men's) which was stunning. I have a group of golf gals so purchased 6 beautiful necklaces for $8.00 each. At the resort, no one believed that the beautiful pieces cost so little. You will notice when you are at the airport leaving that almost every second women has on one of these works of art. And one other beach vendor.....

If you are a smoker, there is even a vendor selling cigars, cigarettes. Chat with him; he's fun.

So all in all, it's a beautiful beach. You can walk, swim, snorkel and scuba dive. And, if you're so inclined, buy beautiful gifts from the beach vendors and support their livelihood. They really appreciate it and you will end up with great stories and beautiful Roatan works. Last comment, don't forget the insect repellant because there are a lot of sand flees. I got bitten this time more than last because I was less vigilant with spray but found it a small price to pay for such a beautiful experience on the beach.

Visited December 2012
5 Thank Beverley2828
Washington, DC
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 66 helpful votes
“Avoid”
Reviewed January 9, 2013

I was absolutely shocked at the appalling state of this beach. Tiny, crowded, vendors, touts and beggars everywhere, and the beach itself oozed with suntan oil and diesel fuel. If this is your idea of a great place, go for it. Even Infinity Bay was this way, although that portion of the the beach is larger. I am so grateful that I decided to stay on the West End.

I took my scooter and snorkeling gear there to see what all the hype was about (supposedly the "best snorkeling in Roatan"). I was there maybe 15 minutes or so before I got so skeeved out that I wanted to leave.

All I can say is that I didn't waste the money.

I suppose that type of place appeals to the the cruise ship/spring break/let's party nonstop with a bunch of other Americans set. It made me nauseous.

If however you want relative peace and quiet, a slow pace, and no vendors in your face then stay elsewhere.

BTW Roatan is little more than an overpriced, hyper-Americanized colony these days; many expats who have hyper-inflated the economy with little going back into the community. Belize is 100x better.

Visited January 2013