“Sky Cabana 4”
Review of Foster's West Bay

Foster's West Bay
Ranked #7 of 14 Hotels in West Bay
Reviewed March 21, 2014

I would like for my review to center around the specific room where I stayed, Sky Cabana 4. Foster's Resort has quite a few different room categories, so I would like to focus on this particular cabana. After staying here for one week, I suppose I can offer an insight.
Background: One couple, both 41 years old, no kids.
I had been looking at Roatan for years and finally pulled the trigger and came here. After research, we booked this specific room more than a year in advance. So far in advance, that our confirmation had the wrong year on it. It was corrected easily, and there were no hiccups on check in. For two people, Sky Cabana 4 had more than enough space.
The interior: King sized, comfortable bed, user controllable A/C, and a medium sized refrigerator. The kitchenette also included a coffee maker, microwave, and large water cooler. We drank a lot of water, and when it ran low, we were given more upon request with no fuss.
The bathroom has a large tub and shower. Unfortunately, the jets did not work on the tub. There is a safe in the room, but you have to ask the front desk for the key.
Exterior: The front porch has lots of room. The overhang was large enough to protect our shoes and other items from the rain. There is a single hammock. My wife claimed that for the week, and I was happy to let her have it. The view from this front porch is incredible. It has wonderful ocean views, with a nice tree to the right (hummingbird included). The left side of the cabana has a deck. We could have moved some of the furniture up there, but just laying on the upper deck and watching the stars was very enjoyable.
Other thoughts on Foster's:
We came during the height of cruise season. Most resorts and restaurants began the day with rows of empty beach chairs crammed together. Yes, Foster's encourages cruiser business. However - A new beach lounger was withdrawn from the stack only as needed. A nice touch that did not significantly change the vibe, as their beach never got too crowded. The only cruise impact was an influx of folks getting lunch. They were not there for long, and it did not affect our meal.
Negatives? I wish there was a non smoking area. We spoke to the owner about this, and he pointed out some construction adjacent to the open air restaurant that would provide enclosed, smoke free dining. Furthermore, the owner was very interested in getting the opinions and suggestions from all his guests. I could tell he was displeased about the bad reviews from TripAdvisor and wanted to make sure guests told him about things so they could be fixed, rather than slamming the place later. I was wary about staying here based upon TripAdvisor reviews, but I had a feeling about the place. I am glad I stuck with it.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Swegert
There are newer reviews for Foster's West Bay

Reviewed March 21, 2014

We only ate here, did not stay. Live music, was not too crowded, and we had the lobster special with sides.

Lincoln our waiter was fantastic, the best we have had in several cities on Roatan. Actually this place was the fastest service we have had as well.

Food was good, lobster, rice and beans, vegetables, fries. Kids loved it as well. Would recommend if not crowded.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed March 6, 2014

As soon as we arrived at Fosters West Bay Resort, I knew Kathi and I would want to stay there again and again. It is the perfect spot on Roatan’s best beach. We were met with a smile, a drink, and no surprises. Our room exceeded our expectations, clean, spacious and definitely on the beach.
Mr. Foster is a true gentleman. He and his family and staff work hard and genuinely seem to love caring for their guests. The grounds are well maintained. Our room was always clean and the food and service were great. We felt safe and welcome.

It seemed that anything one would wish to do can be done from the beach at Fosters. We went snorkeling with Anenoma, the on site dive company. They are a first class outfit, very professional and friendly. Fishing, Water Taxis, etc. were all available at Fosters dock. And the location made the walk to West End easy.

My only regret is that the new, over water Zip Line was net yet completed before our weeklong stay was over. We have already recommended Fosters to friends and family. We will be back, soon.

Kenny DeMars

Room Tip: We liked the duplex and will try for an upper unit next time.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Kennydemars
Reviewed March 4, 2014

Fosters is a great find and like many resorts was probably perfect 10 years ago.
Unfortunately the Foster family is encouraging visits by the cruise ship people and is constructing activates for them; a zip line now goes directly over the beach to the dock, a trampoline is proposed. What was once a quiet corner of the beach is getting noisier all the time.
The up side; The employees are excellent, friendly and helpful. The restaurant is managed by Leslie and serves delicious food for a very reasonable price.
Many other restaurant are in walking distance on the beach or boardwalk; no shoes, no problem. Our favorite was; Bite on the Beach, Hi Barry!
A PADI dive shop is on the premises and is well run with good boats. There are dive packages that include; breakfast, airport transfers and a free drink every day, A great deal!
The rooms are just adequate, many bathrooms are in needed of renovation and they say that is going to happen this year. Most rooms have great porches that look out over the ocean and have nice afternoon shade, it does get hot. Refrigerators in all rooms and 5 gallon water dispensers . Do not drink the island water.There are sand fleas that can be very bothersome so bring bug spray, this is an island wide problem. All in all a great spot and one our best Caribbean vacations.

Room Tip: Sky Cabana #3 and #4 are great and Deluxe cabana upper is very good.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
3  Thank Craig M
Reviewed February 27, 2014

What a great time I had while visiting Roatan. My stay at Fosters West Bay couldn't have been better. The rooftop deck of Fosters treehouse provided a beautiful setting for rise & shine morning coffees and tranquil sunset cocktails. Only steps from the ocean and beach Fosters was just the vacation I needed. The hospitality of Foster, Leslie and the crew was an unexpected bonus. I can't thank the dive team Julie, Federico,Patrick and Megan from Anemona Dive shop (located at Fosters) enough for their support and patience as I returned to the beautiful depths of the sea after a 25 year break. Thanks everyone! See you next year!

> Cindy Savage, Smithers British Columbia, Canada

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank Cindy S
Reviewed February 25, 2014 via mobile

We fell for the advertising on the beach for 2 large lobster tails and a beer for 12.99. The place was packed and totally under staffed. Twice we had to walk up to grab our drinks after not receiving them from our waiter after waiting 30 minutes. After ordering the lobster meals our waiter never returned and after 1 hour the bartender came by to ask if we had ordered. The bartender eventually brought the meals and the lobster tails were tiny-4 inches long. After being told they accept American express they said our card wasn't working. We used our card at another place after that and it worked just fine. Very frustrating experience.

• Stayed: February 2014
6  Thank sstorytravel
Reviewed February 24, 2014

Down to Earth resort, even if some cabanas are in a tree!
I loved my seafront cabana#1 - with all it's features like:
small family size fridge/freezer, microwave, toaster and coffee maker -
not to forget the hot/cold water dispenser. The Bathroom is big and the towels
seemed to be quite new and soft - as in the Downy commercials!
And of course there is a hammock on the terrace too.
There is a dive center just a few steps away - which might give you
some headache early in the morning when they handle their tanks
- but honestly, one should be out there and not in bed with a hangover!
Though it might happen, as there are many opportunities all along the beach!
At the restaurant I had some of the tastiest lobsters - words can't describe!!!
Thanks Lesly and Vicky - and all the staff - I had a great time!!!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo