“Sleep with the Birds in the Tree House”
Review of Foster's West Bay

Foster's West Bay
Ranked #8 of 14 Hotels in West Bay
Reviewed August 12, 2011

My husband and I were traveling through Central America and spent a weekend in the Tree House. Foster's has a tree house located in the top of a giant Mango tree. This isn't for the faint of heart (or more than 2 people). If you want to relive your tree house dreams of childhood, this is the way to go. A very tall spiral staircase leads you to a little room set up with a queen size bed, toilet stall, sink and panoramic views. Mind you, there are no blinds. However, the trees provide lots of cover. An outdoor shower is located on the back deck (no hot water when we were there) and a rooftop access has two lawn chairs to enjoy AMAZING views. This is NOT luxurious, but incredibly fun! A travel log on the walls from previous travels provides for a little entertainment. According to this graffiti, there is often macaws and monkeys who frequent the canopy trees with you. No A/C, but the screened in windows provide a canopy breeze. There are bugs - where aren't there bugs in Central America?! I wasn't too bothered by the gorgeous saucer-sized butterfly who stayed on our window one afternoon to shelter from a passing rain shower. Sleeping with the birds as the wind rustled the leaves was just lovely. Because it was sweltering and we knew we wanted a hot shower before hopping on the plan the next day, we stayed the last night in the king cabana - views from National Geographic! (including the family of fruit bats who lived outside the bathroom window). As you can tell, I'm perfectly content to see nature when I travel. I was NOT looking for a spa, luxury vacation on this occasion. I would not have found one Foster's. It's a quiet family establishment trying hard to survive the newly built commercial resorts. It would be a great base camp for divers. I had just spent 4 months living in the serious jungle, so this was clean, safe, and private. I always travel to Roatan in the off-season since it's half-price for the same weather, same location, same low-key people. We enjoyed walking down the board walk to Bite on the Beach where they feed the "family" of morays (HUGE!) and a barrcuda at the end of the night. I couldn't get enough of the wahoo. Also loved the Wine Cellar. Sitting barefoot, eating to-die-for creme brulee with a live band - divine. Yes, it's a fine dining restaurant where you leave you flip flops at the door. :) Too cute. But that's Roatan - easy-going beach life. No wonder so many ex-pats live here. ALWAYS BRING YOUR OWN BUG SPRAY AND WEAR IT! Sand fleas will ruin a vacation. Islanders have no idea what bug spray is - must be immune.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank MissusMoose

Reviewed July 12, 2011

Just returned from a week in Roatan and although the week was really relaxing, the accomodations at Foster's West Bay left alot to be desired. I had read the reviews before going and have to say I dismissed the negative ones as being from pampered spoiled travelers who wanted four star luxury at a one star price. In retrospect, they were really right. I really wanted to love the simplicity and charm of Foster's but the truth is, they passed charming ten years ago - the place is really run down and if they don't do something soon, people will stop going at any price. The highlight is the location - we were literally ON the beach and steps from the dive shop. I loved that! However, throughout the week we had many bees in our room (I killed an average of 4-5 a day and the light fixtures were filled with dead bees so this had gone on for a long time) and some large cockroaches/water bugs - including a big one in the bed with us (on my husband's back!!) the first morning - I was ready to leave after that! There are no TVs in the rooms (OK but you need to know that), no towels for the beach (again, OK if you know in advance) and the beach chairs were very old and mostly broken. The bathroom was similarly run down - a large gap in the tile in a corner had been filled some years ago with a wide slab of rough grey cement that was missing in many places, the tub had almost no caulk around it and the shower head was very corroded. I will say that housekeeping kept the place clean and in the end we enjoyed our week, but you need to be prepared for pretty minimal accomodations.
Also pay attention to the reviews about sand fleas and no-see-ums and BRING BUG SPRAY! We were covered with bites from the first day. They didn't itch that much until we returned from our trip (maybe the salt water kept them from itching) but we have been really suffering since then. I really hope someone decides to invest in the renovations that are needed to bring Foster's up to the charming resort it really should be. We won't be going back but the potential is there if they don't wait any longer.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
7  Thank lzatl
Reviewed July 5, 2011

This hotel was very disappointing. We booked in advance, and chose to stay at Fosters West End. We were scheduled to arrive at 10:05 am and transportation would be provided. We arrived early and they did provide us a Taxi to Fosters on the West Bay to check in. The staff was really friendly and helpful, however, our rooms on the West End were not ready at the time. We were on vacation, so it was no big deal. I understand we arrived early. We had 5 people in our group and we got our taxi to the West End around 1pm, and we reserved 2 cabanas with 2 beds in each one. They said there was a septic problem and put us in 2 rooms, each with one bed. Why were we not informed that there was a septic problem when we were checking in is beyond me. They attempted to accomodate us and put a second bed in each room for the night to make due. The website says there is hot water, but there was not a drop of hot water. We ended up moving to a different hotel the next day because it was like pulling teeth to get answers. There was not much assistance when we were on the West End as the main lodging is on West Bay. It was very difficult to get any help. They said they would give us a refund, and I have not received that yet, however we were traveling on the 4th of July Weekend. If you are going to stay at Fosters, stay on West Bay, not West End.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank afhick
Reviewed June 28, 2011

We have been coming to Fosters for several years now and we love it so much. Came back this month with some friends and the beach was a beautiful as ever, the staff as friendly as the last times and made us feel at home as usual. The restaurant food is very good, we ate there most of our trip, and they have great happy hour prices and specials. The Thursday night Lobster special for $11.99 is not to be missed.A lot of people come and it is like a party. The cabanas are more on the rustic side, but that is what we like and the price is good. Right on the beach, wonderful views, decks, hammocks. Sometimes you have to ask the maid for extra towels or washclothes because she does not always leave enough, but who cares! They bring them right to you if you ask. This was the first trip for our friends and they were blown away. We had an incredible time as usual. Fosters is laid back, casual, excellent beachfront location, fabulous sunset views, nice people and we will be back again!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 23, 2011

This was the most disappointing day of our cruise (and the most expensive)!

There were 21 in our group and we had high hopes of a wonderful day at the beach and experienced the exact opposite. First of all, they did not seem prepared for us, even though we had booked and paid half in advance. There were not enough chairs out and we had to wait for a while to get chairs.

EVERYTHING cost extra. Even a tube to float in was $15 extra. To ride a jetski (which I'm not sure if this was with Foster's or just next to them) was $65 for 1/2 hour. After 17 minutes (having looked at our watches), they tried to bring us back in. When we confronted them about the time, they let us stay out there the full 30 minutes.

The food was terrible at Foster's and the one drink that was included was your choice between some different types of watered down punch or bottle water. Some of our kids (19 years old) ordered the lunch special and were charged $18 when it should have been $7. After they ordered their food, someone erased the blackboard so when we confronted them about it, there was no proof regarding what the special was or how much it cost. Even when we became involved and confronted the manager, he took the side of his wait staff. Eventually, after much going back and forth, the manager agreed to reimburse $4, but by then we were so put out, we didn't even take the time to get the money back. We decided to pack our stuff and leave (of course, waiting for our transportation to arrive). One note to management, the older white man behind the bar was nasty, rude and should be fired. No guest should be treated like he treated us and spoke to our kids. Definately something people on vacation should not have to put up with.

One last irritation was that from the minute we walked up (before they even got our chairs out), people were trying to sell us something (necklaces, massages, hair braids, snorkel, etc.). It was relentless. You couldn't even relax. I didn't think of it till we left, but I would have paid someone $20 just to keep people away from me asking me to buy something. We gave some of the children selling stuff a few dollars (I know they need it), but you couldn't relax.

By the time we bought drinks, tubes to float in, jet ski, lunch, banana boat rides, gave donations to those asking us to buy stuff, etc., this was a very expensive day, but no matter how much money we spent, it was a bomb!

• Stayed: May 2011
1  Thank cottonqueen123
Reviewed April 30, 2011

Roatan Honduras
The last review was in 2002 so I figured I would give you my uptake on my weekend experience. In March of 2011. I departed on a Sat came back on a Monday. They did give airline discount on my bill. And trust me it was a great discount. I did travel with my 80 yr old father but this trip was totally safe .A single woman could do this trip alone and feel safe. I stayed at Fosters West Bay. The hotel pays one way for transportation. Either you can have it going to or coming from paid. My father and I decided to pay for the way there. Of course like any other airport tons of taxi’s waiting for you and it is negotiable. I am sure we got ripped off but my father is older and standing and bartering is not his forte anymore he said that is for the young! So we paid $20 for cab ride to hotel. Once we got there greeted by the owner himself. Mr. Foster offered us a cold brewski of Roatan beer. Location is great we stayed in one of the downstairs round houses. The place was huge. This is no Best Western or the Ritz but looking at the other hotels this seemed to be the nicest one on the beach. The house was clean was upset Jacuzzi did not work but was exhausted from diving. I would highly recommend staying there. The staff was impeccable the food at the restaurant was awesome the view was fabulous. I look forward to my next trip. Make sure you bring mosquito repellent. The gnats are awful but that was the whole island.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank absherkathy
Reviewed April 20, 2011

Hubby & I loved the location!! Let me list some pros & cons.
Pro: Location, quiet & private when cruise ships are not in port. Resort is nice, bar/restaurant is good, staff very nice. View amazing even from the bed. Easy walking to all bars/rest. Would go back with better expectations.
Cons: We booked upper roundhouse to get a kitchenette & it was sad, lacking most basic supplies (had to buy dish soap,salt/pepper & more).
Bathroom sink too tall & lighting sucked!!

Room Tip: Cabana 3 & 4 have best views.