Rumors
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in West Bay
See available hotels
Island Pearl(West Bay)
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsprivate poolb beach morningdrinking waterjavavine cafelocation was perfectfresh fruitamazing weekwine barcoffee makerjuan carlosmini fridgerum punchisland tourlarryernacabana
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 22, 2014

We had the pleasure of recently spending two weeks at Rumors on Roatan. We stayed in the year old, stand alone Cabana, which was spotlessly clean, had a super comfortable bed, ample storage, spacious bathroom and a well equipped kitchenette for making snacks, light meals, and included all provisions for coffee. The room rate included transportation to and from the airport (thanks Juan Carlos!), drinking water (replenished as needed), air conditioning, wifi, satellite TV, a safe (large enough for an Ipad), toiletries (liquid and bar soap, shampoo), hairdryer, and fluffy bath, beach and pool towels. An umbrella (which we fortunately had no need to use), flashlight, and battery powered alarm clock were also provided. There were several power outages on the island during our stay, and we were appreciative having a back up generator available at Rumors, something we hadn't thought to enquire about when we looked for accommodation.
The lush gardens and pool were a quiet retreat, especially on busy cruise ship days, with comfortable loungers and umbrellas for shade. Larry was meticulous in cleaning the pool and pool deck every morning.
Erna's breakfasts were one of the highlights of our day, especially for my spouse who eagerly waited for Erna to come down in the morning. Breakfast was served by the pool, with fresh cut tropical flowers on the table every day, and included orange juice, assorted fresh fruit, along with a hot entre. Every day featured a new and different plate, from coconut pancakes with coconut rum syrup, waffles with caramelized bananas, eggs benedict, seafood quiche, omelets, homemade cinnamon buns and banana muffins to name a few. We particularly appreciated having the opportunity to have breakfast served early, so that we could eat before our morning dives.
Thank you again Erna and Larry for a wonderful vacation retreat! Rumors would be high on our list to stay if we have the chance to return to Roatan again!

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank billcathyWinnipeg
Reviewed March 13, 2014

A lot of this will be a repeat from what others have already mentioned quite simply because it would be impossible not to love staying here and I've never come across more friendly, helpful, and kind owners as Erna and Larry in the many places we've stayed. As soon as you receive your first email back and get to communicate with Erna you'll know you want to stay there. When I first started looking into Roatan accommodations I thought we would really want to stay right on the beach... decided to split the visit and start with 3 nights at Las Rocas and finish our stay at Rumors since both were in our budget. Well it's a good thing we started at Las Rocas because after staying at Rumors I will never step foot in another accommodation in Roatan. We were staying in the studio suite and could see the ocean right from the deck... perfect, with a cozy hammock and breakfast table to boot. The cabana was very tempting too, but we opted to save a bit of money and the studio already had more than what we needed so I was very happy with our choice.

I was initially hesitant to stay a little further back from the beach since I thought that walking around might be unsafe, but Erna assured me that the walk was very short and very safe and it absolutely is. The path up from Bananarama is very well lit and there are security guards there. At the end of that path you literally walk about 30 seconds to the Rumors driveway so no problem at all and it is incredibly close - I didn't time it but for sure under 5 minutes from the driveway to the sand. This is also the most central area of West Bay since you're sort of in the middle of it at Bananarama (where we found most of the action to be), so 5 stars as well on location and I'm actually glad we weren't right on the beach since it was so nice to retreat to the peace and quiet by the pool at Rumors. The entire property is gorgeous - lush, tropical plants and flowers everywhere. A spotless pool with a table and comfortable loungers to relax by it... if I could buy a property abroad myself it would be exactly like this (though I'd have to hire a gardener to keep it looking the way they do!)

As for the studio itself - what a treat to find in Central America. We stayed in 4 different accommodations between Roatan and Belize on this trip and this was the only segment where we had a nice, comfortable, quiet sleep on a bed that wasn't hard as a rock or not quite big enough for two people. And Shaw Cable! Yay! Not that I wanted to watch a lot of TV on holidays but I did find myself catching our local news for at least a bit every morning... mainly to be glad I was missing the weather back home. This would really be a huge advantage to me though on a longer stay (which I'd love to do here someday) just to have another way to unwind on nights you want to stay in. The internet seems to only be on while Erna and Larry are up which we noticed the first night. Not sure if it's always like this, but just to point out if you need to be online later at night to get something done. From the time we got up in the morning until 9 or 10pm though it was very reliable and surprisingly fast!

Everything both in the studio and around the property is totally spotless. Erna is out cleaning every day to keep on top of things and her efforts show! It was such a treat to have a bathroom with normal plumbing, modern fixtures, NO bugs, soft, fresh towels, a hair dryer, and I think my favourite part was that it even smelled great. The little kitchenette was perfect for storing/snacking on leftovers and drinks with a few dishes, sink, fridge, microwave, and coffee maker. There's a safe, a closet, great A/C unit, a fan... and all done in very tasteful and cute decor.

The breakfast... Erna could practically have her own Trip Advisor section for people to submit reviews solely on her food. Wow... I missed it every single day after we left there for Belize and am still missing it now that I'm back home. I don't eat eggs so she worked around that for me... I was tempted to start though when I saw the omelet she had prepared for my boyfriend. He made a point of telling me I was missing out and I'm sure I was! Perfect crispy bacon, best sausages I've ever had (I think they were chorizo), coconut pancakes! Belgian waffles! And the cinnamon buns... mmm I was instantly addicted... she even got up before dawn on our last day to give us some cinnamon buns and sausage and egg breakfast sandwiches in a to go bag for our 5:30am departure to the airport (she even made food for the driver!) Above and beyond in every way... particularly on the day that I had some tummy issues (if only all of the restaurants in West Bay could serve food as good as Erna's!) - Erna was so sweet (I was kind of a wuss about the whole thing) and brought me applesauce to keep in the fridge to help get my stomach back on track. That and the baby bananas we had access to from the deck did the trick and I was good to go and back enjoying her breakfasts the next day.

All of these things made our stay there totally perfect (we said many times after arriving in Belize that they only way Rumors could have been more perfect would have been if we'd ended our trip there since it was by far the most relaxing and comfortable place we've stayed in a long time). What really makes Rumors special though is Erna and Larry. Seeing them around the property or zipping up and down the driveway on their scooter always with a wave and smile for the guests makes you feel like you're staying with friends and not just renting a bed for a few nights, I would honestly say this is my favourite place we've ever stayed and we'll definitely be back (will be booking nice and early again too... either that or booking our trip around whenever they have availabilty!)

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank J9ie
Reviewed February 17, 2014

From our first moment to the last at Rumors was absolutely memorable. Fantastic food prepared to perfection. Comfortable accomadations with all the necessites. Even a tv with a satelite dish to keep up on the Olympics. Beautiful flora, fauna and lots of hummingbirds. Lovely and very clean pool to cool off during the warm sunny days. Excellent hospatality, travel and snorkeling hints. Best of all the smiles and cheerful personalities of the terrific hosts who were always available and checking if anything was needed. Check it out you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank coldinsaskSask
Reviewed February 2, 2014

If you are looking to visit West Bay and are still deciding on where to stay, you can now end your search. Rumors is THE place to be.

Rumors is conveniently located next to West Bay Mall (Hungry Monkey, JavaVine Cafe & Wine Bar, Mangiamo Market), Nice N Spicy, and Celeste. It is also a very short (let me stress this - very short) walk to Pizzarama/Thristy Turtle and the beach. The location is ideal to escape the beach if it gets too busy, yet is so close if you want to join in on the fun.

Erna and Larry are two of the most incredible people. We instantly felt comfortable and were overwhelmed by their generosity, assistance and companionship. Erna's breakfast were some of my best meals we had in Roatan - we looked forward to the next surprise each morning. She is such a pleasant and happy person - you can't help to smile when she is around. Larry was fantastic. His insight of the island, fun sense of humor, and sincere warmth was so refreshing. We truly had an interest in us having the best vacation ever.

Both Erna and Larry maintain their property to perfection. From the flowers and pool, to the bedding and bathrooms. They work hard and it shows. The place is spotless, and both the apartment and cabana have everything you need. Bottled water, safes, refrigerators, AC, Cable TV, Wifi, etc.

Room Tip: Both the cabana and studio apartment are amazing. If the cabana happens to be booked, don't worry! The studio apartment was such a pleasant place to stay!
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank message_in_a_bottIe
Reviewed January 26, 2014

There's not much I can add to the previous reviews, except to say they are all true. I'm not a person who goes back to the same place year after year, but I would go back to Rumors in a heartbeat. My husband and I spent the Christmas holiday in the Cabana, and the week was truly a gift. Larry and Erna are wonderful people - from the beach tour on the first day to the ride back to the airport when our taxi driver did not show up on time, they were great hosts and genuinely kind and interesting people - we looked forward to chatting with them around the pool over breakfast every day. And Erna's breakfasts - amazing. The location was perfect, 2 minutes from the beach but set back from the road so felt much more secluded. The Cabana was spotless, the bed so comfortable I wish I could have taken it home. The fresh water + coffee in the room were simple but much appreciated inclusions.

The beach itself was lovely - deserted when there were no cruise ships, and when there were "cruise shippers" (usually from late morning to early afternoon 3 days/week), we went to one of the local beach bars to people-watch or sat by the pool. Not a lot of nightlife on the beach (more if you took the water taxi to the next town), but we didn't mind as that's not what we were looking for.

Highly recommended for those looking for a romantic week of downtime with great hospitality in a beautiful place.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple