Las Rocas Resort & Dive Center
$265
$171
$611
Travelocity
Foster's West Bay(West Bay)(Great Value!)
$109
Travelocity
Paradise Beach Hotel(West Bay)(Great Value!)
$203
$358
  • Breakfast included
West Bay Lodge and Spa(West Bay)(Great Value!)
$140
$122
  • Breakfast included
All reviewssuperior bungalowwest endmain beachlobster burritowater taxishort walkboat captainhot dishrestaurant baryogurttwo storysand fleasplunge poolfoot trafficlaid backbug sprayopen water certification
FilterAll languages
Reviewed May 12, 2007

I wish I could feel better about recommending Las Rocas to others. I had 5 exceptional mornings diving with them on their little boat and their very professional DM, Jose. But the resort is about the rest of the day, and there were problems.

Most important of all was the music that had to be played morning noon and night. Hip Hop. American Hip Hop. What does that have to do with a tropical resort, or with trying to have a relaxing meal? After two days I asked them to change the CD and that was ignored. When I took it upon myself to change it, asking for just 15 minutes of peace and quiet to have a quick breakfast, they put it back on. Since I was on the meal plan (and the food by the way was pretty good) I took to having my meals as far away from the music as possible. But I have never in my life encountered that attitude on the part of the staff that they're going to play what they want and you can just go to hell. I noted that at dinner time the restaurant was essentially empty, and I wonder if they wonder why. No one wants to listen to that.

The room rate says that it comes with airport transfers. When I got to the airport and got through customs, there were cars from lots of other resorts, except of course mine. Keep in mind this is the slow season. So an unrefundable $20 plus tip for the taxi ride. The taxi driver, however, was pretty neat.

I had reserved one of the delux oceanfront rooms, but was placed in a similar unit with no view, next to the construction. That would be acceptable since there are only 2 oceanfront rooms, except that they put me in a room with no view while one of the oceanfront rooms sat obviously vacant. After two days of that I demanded to be moved, and only after threats to leave, managed to get moved into the empty room. Much nicer.

I asked to use their phone to call home, but their connection was so poor as to be useless. I wonder who I was talking to anyway.

The path along the beach goes through the property, since there is no beach right there. Not a lot of traffic along the coast, but what there is of it goes right past your room. A few beachwalkers would bring their dogs,, and dogs do what dogs will do, except that in the week I was there, none of the "do" got removed by the groundskeeping staff.

I got a car and drove around the island on my off day after diving, and I think that West Bay has the prettiest beach. Almost all of the dive sites are on the west/north end, so trying to dive from a resort on the south side could be inconvenient. While I was there the wind was pretty still and there were lots of trash fires that made the visibility poor. The roads are good, at least the paved parts are, but there was not much to drive to see in terms of scenery.

This would have rated as a "poor" vacation in my memory except for two things. First the diving was absolutely fabulous, better than the other Caribbean meccas like Cozumel or Provo or Boanire, and Las Rocas has a good dive operation: $250 for 10 dives plus $10/day for ALL gear. Second the divemaster, Jose, was excellent. I wanted to recommend the resort of the strength of Jose's ability, but it turns out that Jose is only temporary, a replacement for the owner while she's out of town. Who knows if this place would be worth recommending even for diving once Jose is gone.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank davidhauk
Reviewed April 4, 2007

We stayed here for a few days in March. The cabin was fine (no frills) but we had a TON of problems with the reservation. They mixed up our arrival date and we ended up having to stay at a dump for a night. And when it was time to checkout, our bill was a confusing mess -- it took them 3 times to get it correct. The restaurant food was fine, but the service was SLOW SLOW SLOW (even by Roatan standards). In fact, we had to leave without breakfast one day because the waiter didn't bring it after we waited for an hour. Bottom line: check other resorts for availability before booking here. Note that the dive shop is great.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 2, 2007

Let me just say the best part about Las Rocas is the location. Its just around the corner from the absolutely beautiful West Bay beach. From there you can easily visit every beach side bar and restaurant in the area. Each one is different and full of friendly people, mostly americans.

Las Rocas really does have an excellent restaurant and bar. I wouldn't recommend the all inclusive package, just because there are so many choices in the area.

Las Rocas is prob more of a romantic type place than what I was looking for, owing to its more secluded location compared to other West Bay hotels, but we had a great time and would go back in a second.

Finally, I just have to say that Mike Jones, the bartender, really made sure we had a good time!

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled with friends
2  Thank RoyalOaktraveller
Reviewed March 4, 2007

We just returned from a wonderful week at Las Rocas. We booked not entirely sure of what to expect ....but were beyond pleasantly surprised. This is not a deluxe resort but it was what we wanted....a place that was small, intimate, and cozy. The room was lovely with a high ceiling and lots of Honduran wood. We were lucky and got a great view of the ocean off of our deck. The people who worked at the restaurant and reception offices were always friendly and helpful. The property was beautiful with lush gardens and spectacular views. We loved that it was NOT right on West Bay Beach, which is beautiful but a bit touristy, but around the corner so you felt a bit hidden from the crowds. Would EASILY stay there again.

Stayed: February 2007
2  Thank VTMtnfolk
Reviewed February 25, 2007

We chose Las Rocas for the dive package as well as the other amenities they had to offer. Once we arrived we knew that this was a Great choice. The resort is beautiful, quiet and relaxing. The staff from arrival to departure was outstanding and very friendly. We did tour the island and found Las Rocas the best place for us and wil return next year. The resort has a certian charm, that feeling at home and making many new friends came easily.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Sherridee