“When can I stay longer!”

Las Rocas Resort & Dive Center
Ranked #9 of 14 Hotels in West Bay
Reviewed June 24, 2010

I think I'm in love with this place. I'm thinkin' I need to throw it over my shoulder and take it home with me. My Dad and I came to this cabin style resort looking for dive time. After a $25, bullet shot from a random taxi ride we were home for eight days. Be sure to call Pasquale, Owner of the resort, free, and safe! The rustic cabins were a nice touch. Didn't find much time to spend in them. Housekeeping was very creative with great attention to detail. Thanks to Winson, Johnny, Betsey, and the kitchen. The food is fresh and delicious! The ladies prepared our fresh catch of the day for lunch and dinner. Good eatin'! Besides the great diving the staff really made my time spent at the resort unforgettable. The dive staff is incredible! Very knowledgable and eager to aide and educate. Special thanks to Serena, Christian, Martina, and a big kiss for Ricardo.
Big what up to Mike and Henry.
I'm already planning my next trip.

• Stayed: June 2010
1  Thank scubraroo

Reviewed June 20, 2010

Just returned from a week in Roatan - stayed at Las Rocas. The resort itself is rustic and could probably do with a bit of a face lift, but very comfortable and well-maintained. Gaetano and his staff were all very helpful and friendly and the people who staffed the dive shop were great. Value for money was terrific and the only adverse comment I have is that the food was not good at all (fortunately there are other restaurants where we ate for the most part, both nearby and within a short walk) where you can get very nice to super meals.

I would recommend this place to others with the rider that if you want to start becoming bulemic, this is the place for you to eat :-).

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed June 19, 2010

Spent 8 days in Roatan, after recommendation from a friend on the diving here. Found Las Rocas after checking reviews on the internet.

Break this up into sections so easier to read:

Rooms: Clean, and simple but comfortable cabin style rooms, each with a little deck in ront and a hammock which is nice touch. Don't expect the Ritz or any 4star accomodation, but then you are not paying those prices either. Very good for the price and all are air conditioned :)! Only issue is that I was staying downstairs in one of their upper/lower units and you can hear EVERYTHING upstairs, every footstep, noise whatever...so unless you know the people above you or are a deep sleeper, I would not recommend the downstairs units. They have a few units by themsleves without upstairs so I'd opt for that. Also there is no TV unless you want one in your room but the bar has a TV showing sports, news etc if you just want to have a drink and relax. Nice that they have wireless internet also, which was very helpful!

Location: Great location on the point at the end of West Beach. Very quiet which was nice and nicely laid out with well kept garden. Tiny little salt water pool that is pretty much a big jacuzzi without the jets. Not quite sure what the purpose of this was but it's nice to sit in an look over the ocean. The bar, resturant and dive shop are all very close together which make the place have an initmate feel.

Service: Great, friendly and helpful staff, which on this island is actually quite rare considering the very average and careless serivce at most other restaurants etc. This is not a customer service centric culture, but the owners have picked some good people and trained them well.

Dive Shop: Very impressed with the dive shop. It is nice and smaller which is good becasue they only take a max of 6 or so people on dives (most of the time was 4 of us) and if you are a diver this makes a huge difference to the diving experiencevs. the cattle boats like Anthony's Key and the Bananarama resorts where we saw a lot more people on their boats.. Our guide Serena was excellent, knowledgable, found some great stuff that wouldn't have seen etc. Their equipment is well kept and maintained too which is always important. Even if you don't stay here dive with them, you won't be sorry.

Food: This is probably the only real area that they can improve upon. The great thing is that breakfast is included with your stay and that is nice, and breakfast was more than adequate with fruit, cereal, eggs and juice, coffee etc...However the food for lunch and dinner was not great and the dinners are kinda expensive for what you get and the taste quality. They are trying to be a little more upscale but don't have the environment or the food to justify it, so guys keep it simple and good and casual and reasonable. We at mostly at other places because of this which is too bad. Until they do go next door to Bite on the Beach for dinner instead, it's slightly cheaper and much better...
Diving in General in Roatan: Reef is in great shape, lots of corals, sea fans, and walls and canyons and cool shipwreck. We saw some turtles, eels, stingrays, groupers etc....Overall the diving was very nice, warm water but was a little disappointed that despite the beautiful reef, the amount of sea life was very low. We did see stuff but only like one here and there, and not any schools of anything really. HOwever, it may have just been the time of year, but otherwise a great diving experienc.e

Food Recommendations: Place nextdoor, Bite on the Beach has great food, so does Vintage Pearl which is more upscale for a nice dinner ($25-$30 per person) but you won't be disappointed. Great Italian sandwich shop and market up the beach on the back road by Bananrama called Mangiamio's which has burgers, sandwiches and is also a clean minimarket for all kinds of snack and other foods for your room or condo.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank sdwarrior
Reviewed June 4, 2010

We had a great time at Las Rocas. It's a clean, comfortable, reasonably priced spot with a superb location. The resort itself is relatively quiet, but a 5 minute walk from the heart of West Bay...also, a short water taxi or cab to West End (West Bay is better than West End IMO).

Everyone is friendly. Viv and Ricardo made for excellent Dive Masters. The boat trip to Utila was amazing (we swam with three whale sharks!)

I loved waking up to breakfast with Johnny and the crew, enjoying a great day of diving, then coming home to 2 for 1 drink specials in the bar.

I wish I were there right now.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank travelbug_lo
Reviewed May 14, 2010

My husband and I just returned last weekend from the wonderful island of Roatan. We were lucky enought to stay at the enchanting Las Rocas Resort and to dive/snorkle with the wonderful dive staff. The hotel staff is quiet and reserved but helpful and friendly. They are not there to entertain...they do the job and are all good at what they do! The resort was clean and in a fantastic location. We loved being able to walk now the beach at any time and feel safe. The food.....YUMMY!! Love the breakfast...we only had lunch there one day and it was VERY good and dinner,,,oh my..can they cook!! The bar staff rocked and the drinks were yummy!! The only con out of the whole deal and I do not even know if it is a true con...the bed felt hard...but we sleep great and never had a back pain. This is not a mega resort......but we did NOT want a mega resort...we had the times of our lives and would sleep*eat*dive here again anytime. THANK YOU LAS ROCAS!!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank KarenTaylor1111
Reviewed May 11, 2010

Spent a week at Las Rocas and loved it!!! The location was perfect...just a short walk to beautiful West Bay Beach and yet not in the middle of cruise ship central! The staff was great, especially Mike, Jobbie (Bar/Restaurant) and Viv (Dive Shop). I spent half of my trip there on my own and never once felt uncomfortable as a single female traveler. The staff, and all of the other guests, were so friendly. The room (Alba) was simple, no frills but was clean and comfortable and the private porch and hammock was the best! I think next time I will request the room above though so that I don't hear the people above and also for a better view! Each morning our maid even left behind a towel design using fresh flowers from the grounds...such a sweet touch. The restaurant was just okay although in all fairness I only had breakfast and a quick snack there. I hope to return to Roatan in the near future and would definitely stay at Las Rocas! I would recommend it for solo travelers, couples, friends and families.

• Stayed: May 2010
Reviewed May 2, 2010

What stands out is that the staff, barring the two front desk clerks, were generally. Not once was a "good morning," "hello," or the like ever met with a response by staff. Furthermore, in the mornings, it was borderline ridiculous how the staff hanging by the breakfast area would stare at us with blank countenance while we smiled and greeted "good morning." Overall, a fairly unfriendly place. I will reiterate, our room was clean and the bed was very comfortable.

As for the dive operator, this outfit was completely unacceptable. The equipment was in atrocious condition. I had to swap out my BCD twice, finally not even connecting the high pressure hose to the BCD due to incessant valve sticking. Others had severe regulator leakage issues. The technician is also the owner of the dive operator. As such, I'm not sure why she wasn't motivated to fix her outfit's equipment.

The dive master were friendly and knowledgeable about the dive sites.

Finally, the diving in Roatan was par. The highlight was a shark dive which may be arranged for considerable cheaper by contacting that dive operator independently.

Check out Bananarama for a fun time and strong drinks (bad food) while you are there.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with friends
Paradise Beach Hotel
Paradise Beach Hotel
#4 of 14 in West Bay
Bananarama Beach and Dive Resort

Been to Las Rocas Resort & Dive Center? Share your experiences!