“Awesome”

Ranked #9 of 14 Hotels in West Bay
ohio
“Awesome”
Reviewed May 14, 2006

We cant say enough about this place. What a nice group of people Pasquale and his crew have managed to put together. We simply cannot say enough good things. THANK YOU!!!!

• Stayed May 2006

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
Newport Beach, California
Reviewed May 14, 2006

We went there to dive. Got jerked around by Myrna in the Dive shop. They were trying to do the least amount of effort they had to. Our group had to have a munty ! The beds were loke sleeping on a rock. We did meet some cool people. The location was good. Staff was very poor even by thrid world standards. Keep looking you can do better.

• Stayed February 2006
4 Thank Andrew B
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 10, 2006

First strike, John, the so-called dive master, had the personality of a spelling bee runner up. Not friendly, no personality and disinterest in duty are a few of his best qualities. Between the one-word answers and blank stares I don’t know how we managed to enjoy the dives but we did. Maybe it had something to do with the large and entertaining group we came with and the friendly people we met along the way. But to his credit as a dive master, he was extremely knowledgeable. Second strike, excuse me, but could I have a little more fee with that. 12% sales tax, 10% kitchen staff tax, not to mention gratuity, excursion tax, water taxi fee, cab fee, airport depature fee enough already! On a lighter note, the homerun comes in the form of a wonderful stay on a wonderful island at a wonderful, cozy resort. Everyone in the our group enjoyed their stay at Las Rocas tremendously and the sunsets were pure confection.

Hope this helps, pay it forward.

P.S. Bite on the Beach next door is excellent and don’t miss the eel feeding.

• Stayed April 2006
7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Palmer, Alaska
Reviewed April 30, 2006

First let me start by saying, if you are looking for a luxurious stay, this is not hte place for you. Las Rocas had clean efficient rooms with great air conditioning (which we valued greatly lol) THe diving at Las Rocas was very nice. the boat was not crowded, it was small, again, if you are looking for a large resort, dont stay here. we dove 10 dives and for 3 of them, it was just myself and my fiance. The dives were tailored to the group and John and Reno were very helpful. We got to know everyone at the resort very well and took excursions together after diving.
John (dive master) is a great photographer and helped me get through my first few dives (anxiety!).

Simona is beautiful, happy and a joy to talk with. She will set you up with any type of day trip you are interested in. THe bar/restaraunt staff were friendly. I would advise against the meal plan as it does get a little monotonous so wander the island and find food at other places as well. The prices on the island for food are VERY low and your dollar goes a long way at las rocas. We drank out of the mini-bar every day and our bill was only $30!

If we needed something, we just asked and it magically appeared. In the morning the staff will wave to you and they all remember your names.

I do agree with another review on here though... THE CHAIRS are the most uncomfortable on the planet but to be honest with you, we didnt care. The diving was what we went for and it was what we got. I did not go on my night dive, but there was one offered as well as the Whale SHark excursion. We didnt go on that either but the rest of the group did. They did not see any but had the opportunity to see Utilla so it was win/win for them. The day they went to Utila, the resort got another dive master in (with Reno) to take my fiance and I diving. When you go, do not miss diving West End Wall... it was unbelievable!

Sand flies are everywhere on the island and we tried everything. The bites do not itch but the bugs are annoying but you do get used to them. The trade winds at Las Rocas kept the mosquitos down.

The grounds are very nice, clean and well manicured. They raked the walkways daily and the maids serviced our room so well, we felt bad for them because we were slobby! She mopped our floor daily and gave us fresh towels when we left our others on the floor. Please remember this is a remote island, they conserve water, and there are no clocks or schedules. There are some things you have to give up, like great water pressure and clean towels daily. But they do not skimp on the cleanliness of the rooms or the food. This is not why you are there though... if it is, perhaps you may want to try Aruba :)

• Stayed April 2006
9 Thank ladeefire
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 20, 2006

Las Rocas is a great small resort. We felt fortunate to find such a gem in the midst of large resorts. If you want to stay at a resort where everyone knows you, this is the place! The food is tasty.... the cabins clean. The small adjacent beach is quiet - and of course, the diving is AWESOME! The dive staff was quick to assist with our equipment needs. They helped solve personal dive equipment problems that would have normally interrupted diving. We were especially impressed with the quality of the divemasters. Their knowledge of the dive sites were exceptional and Jon was very accommodating to the needs and wishes of all his divers. Everyone in our group commented on how safe they felt, based on how Jon conducted the dives. In addition, his digital photos added to our memories of the adventure under the sea.

Make every effort to visit Utila during whale shark season. The boat captains were patient to search for the sharks and the search paid off! Whale sharks are AMAZING!

Finally, SImona was quick to meet the needs of our non-diving activities and paid special attention to the nondivers in our group, to make sure that their experience at Las Rocas was equally adventuresome as the divers.

Ask Mike the best way to enjoy a Roatan Sunset.

Stayed April 2006
8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Oshawa
Reviewed April 18, 2006

The island of Roatan is a wonderful place with many wonderful people. The staff at Las Rocas were always great to deal with with few exceptions. Although not at the high end of the price range there are some improvements that need to be made to get me back to Las Rocas. Seating, seating , seating. There is no comfortable chairs anywhere on the resort. The ownership needs to put some $ back into their investment. I just noted they have slipped 5 places in the ranking since I returned. I know why. A couple of minor items regarding the restaurant/bar. Please explain to me how a restaurant runs out of milk and not make an attempt at procuring some? Guests go without. How does a bar run out of Tequila for a week? I was at the store and saw some during that week. Send someone to buy some! No, guests go without. I know these are details, but they are important details. If it were my asset I would be bending over backwards to accomodate my guests. I found MGMT rather casual when it came to guests. I understand there are been 3 staff members leave since our departure. I understand why based on their treatment during our stay.

• Stayed March 2006
5 Thank thehamptons
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed April 15, 2006

We spent a wonderful 2 weeks at Las Rocas Resort in February, 2006. We did a lot of research before choosing where to stay on our first trip to Roatan, and we were certainly happy with our choice. Las Rocas exceeded our expectations.

Let me say first that we prefer small, friendly resorts. They need not be luxurious, but they must be clean, comfortable, & tastefully (even if simply)furnished. And most importantly, the food must be good!! Las Rocas was all of these.

The location of Las Rocas, at the end of West Bay Beach and within walking distance of West End village, is perfect. As the name suggests, Las Rocas is built on rocks, overlooking the sea. However the beach is a mere 5 minute walk from the resort. In 15 minutes we could walk to the best snorkel spot on the beach. We walked that beautiful stretch of beach at least twice a day, and agreed that we preferred the relative quiet of our location to the busier, more populated areas where there is a greater concentration of resorts.

Some of our best memories of Las Rocas are of the restaurant!! We did occasionally dine elsewhere, when we were exploring the island, but to be honest, we could happily have eaten every meal at Las Rocas. The food was excellent. Seafood dishes with an Italian flavor, such as seafood linguine (with lobster, shrimps & calamari), shrimps in gorgonzola sauce, and 'Caribbean butterflies' (bowtie pasta with seafood in a coconut cream sauce)are but a few of the succulent evening entrees. At lunch, the fish and the grilled shrimp sandwiches were great, as well as the pizzas (especially the seafood pizza).

Not to be forgotten of course is the bar, where we enjoyed many a happy hour and many a Margarita - thanks to our buddy Mike, who makes the best Margarita I've ever had!

Even breakfasts, which were included in the cost of our accommodation, were varied and good (juices, fresh fruit salad, pastries and a hot dish, such as scrambled eggs Honduran style).

Most importantly, we have nothing but good to say about the staff at Las Rocas! From the owners to the cleaning staff - all were exceptional. They always had a friendly smile and went out of the way to make our stay enjoyable.

There are some improvements that could be made at Las Rocas. For example, the towels need replacing - although always clean, some are getting ragged. And some of the chairs in the restaurant should be replaced, for the sake of comfort. None of these things lessened our enjoyment of the resort however.

If we go back to Roatan, and I hope we do, we would not hesitate to stay again at Las Rocas. I suppose that says it all.

Stayed February 2006
Bananarama Beach and Dive Resort
Foster's West Bay
Foster's West Bay
#8 of 14 in West Bay

Been to Las Rocas Resort & Dive Center? Share your experiences!