“Tranquility”

Las Rocas Resort & Dive Center
Ranked #9 of 14 Hotels in West Bay
Reviewed February 22, 2014

These bungalows are quaint and comfortable. We loved the peace and quiet. This property is at the end of the beach and you can walk to the main beach in 2-3 minutes where all of the restaurants and bars, stores are located. Winston always had a smiling face. The food was excellent - breakfast is provided and dinner was excellent. Everybody there was extremely friendly. All of our requests were handled quickly and professionally.

The beds are very noisy and need to be replaced as soon as possible. They are wooden and cot-like. The mattress is not comfortable.

We had a great time on the island!! Great vacation spot.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the 2nd floor or one that does not have a second floor above it. Ask for a view of...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank terrilynnusa
There are newer reviews for Las Rocas Resort & Dive Center

Reviewed February 22, 2014

The staff is friendly and the room was very clean. This hotel is located at the end of the beach so it is very secluded, but less that a 5 minute walk to the main area on the beach. Breakfast was included each day and they provided us with a free shuttle to and from the airport. The diving offered at the resort was some of the cheapest we found.

The only problem we had was our room smelled a little musty when we checked in, but the smell dissipated after the first day. It was an excellent hotel, especially for the price we paid. I would definitely stay there again.

Don't forget to bring beach towels. They don't provide any and the towels in the bathroom aren't a good size for the beach.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank slp1222
Reviewed February 17, 2014

I first visited Roatan and Las Rocas in June, 2013 and stayed for a week. When I retired at the end of the year I decided to come back for a month. I picked Las Rocas again and am very happy with this decision. If you are looking for a 5 star (sic expensive) luxury hotel, Las Rocas is not for you. But if you are looking for a real value, nice bungalow, clean rooms, good food, and amazingly friendly staff, you cannot find anything better on Roatan than Las Rocas. The most impressive characteristic of Las Rocas is the friendly staff. From Sasha in the office, to awesome Alex and Laura in the dive shop, to Eva our housekeeper, to bartenders Edgar, George and Raul and especially Winston, our breakfast host, we were treated like kings and friends at the same time. Pasquale, the owner really helped me out a couple of times when I had issues trying to cash Traveler’s checks on the Island. DO NOT bring Traveler’s checks-credit cards are taken everywhere but I would suggest a bank/ATM card and pay all charges in cash to avoid substantial charges and taxes when credit cards are used. I looked around at a few other places in West Bay and West End but when I go back, I will definitely be staying at Las Rocas again. The resort is at the east end of West Bay just a few steps from the fantastic beach but far enough away that when the cruise ships come in, you are not in the middle of that zoo. If you are not a diver, amazing snorkeling is just a short swim from the beach to the reef or you can ride out with the divers to a snorkeling spot nearby if you prefer a little more variety/privacy.

Room Tip: When I go back I will probably book a 2nd floor room because they are a little quieter. And don'...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Moonwalker12014
Reviewed February 12, 2014

We stayed at a few hotels in Roatan. Las Rocas is on the far end of the Wes Bay strip past the main beach. There is not much of a beach at Las Rocas but it is an easy walk to the main beach towards all the hotels/restaurants. The little beach that is there be careful as water taxis come in very close to the dock there. Best snorkeling from shore at the other end of the strip from the Infinity to the rocks past the Infinity.

What we liked: Very quiet place. Staff were all very friendly, helpful and genuine. Hammock on Front porch. Clean rooms, great maids. Bar fridge with reasonable priced drinks and light snacks.

Dislikes for us: No TV or phone (can do with out but a TV at night is very nice). The main dislike was that there is a bathroom in the room but only half walls. So unless you want to hear your other person pooping or peeing...you have to leave the room. That was pretty goofy set up.
Breakfast is included but is very small. Depends what you want but breakfast is cereal and buns /cookies, with one small hot item that is different each day. Food was OK, just small portions so if you are a big eater you will still be hungry and need breakfast. Beds very hard and have a flimsy frame that squeak...Not a place one will want to be rocking the bed...lol

Sand Flies and Mosquitos were worse here than the other hotels on the strip as this place is in the trees more. Just down the is jungle and Gumbalimba park so hence why more bugs. The resort does provide mosquito coils and such in the rooms which is nice. They do rake and keep the place very clean, just near trees so more bugs. Put spray on and lay in the hammock and enjoy. Over all it is very reasonably priced but it does like some basics. I say it is a fair bang for the buck tho. If you are there just to sleep and go diving all day..The place will suffice for sure. The dive shop there is very good!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Curtis S
Reviewed February 10, 2014

Very average Hotel... lovely location.

Clean rooms and staff.

Dive operation was average... Panga boat entry.... wood ladder climb, etc... staff seemed to be 'biding their time' till something better comes along.

Good daily breakfast (hot) every morning....

Lists a refrigerator but it was full of 'their' stuff which we could not take out "we will have to charge you cause beer and pop will go bad" really?

Average.... good price.... close to the party beach....

Don't know why but every morning the smell of sewer would be strong from the rear window....

Would not recommend...

Room Tip: Don't book a room near the rear of the property.... sewer smell was strong.
3  Thank Dreambig1958
Reviewed February 9, 2014

My girlfriend and I stayed at Las Rocas for 5 nights. The place is located at the far end of West Bay and is set in a nice garden next to the ocean. The cabins are simple but very nice. I dove there and one of the dive instructors named Alex was awesome. My girlfriend got dive certified at Las Rocas as well and I think they threw here into the whole experience a little fast with very little prep before she got into the water for the first time which scared her. However, all in all the staff throughout the resort is very nice. We also met great guests there as well due to the fact it was more of a budget place on West Bay so it brought a friendly more sociable crowd. All in all, if I were to go back to Roatan I would definitely stay at Las Rocas once again.

1  Thank backpacker1088
Reviewed February 5, 2014

Location: There is lots of shopping and restaurants within walking distance and West End is a short water taxi ride.

I just spent a week at Las Rocas diving and loved every minute of it. The dive shop was fantastic, Yovanny, Laura, Alex and Dorian were professional and tons of fun. They all went above and beyond to make sure each of our dives were what we wanted to see. Bravo guys! Chef Isaac and his staff made sure every meal we had in the restaurant was very very good and staff was friendly and welcoming. I would say the best on the island.
The room was nice and clean. Each day the ladies would come in and leave us towel arrangements with fresh flowers. My only complaints of the whole trip was the bed was rather hard and we needed more pillows and towels. Other than that the room was a great value. The entire staff is friendly and helpful. They make you feel at home and will know your name before you leave. I will be back to Las Rocas.

Useful review? Thank the reviewer: 0

Room Tip: We had the Superior Bungalow. We had a king size bed and a great ocean view.
3  Thank Divediva55