“Dive Center Review only”

Las Rocas Resort & Dive Center
Ranked #9 of 14 Hotels in West Bay
Idaho
“Dive Center Review only”
Reviewed January 25, 2014

We stayed in a private house and dove with Las Rocas for several days. We also ate at the restaurant a couple of times which we did enjoy. With regards to dive center I would never go back. We were recommended to them by the home owners. There are many many good choices on the island. We actually found out there were some people staying at the resort but dove with other dive operators due to issues. The staff was friendly but there were not enough of them. My husband I are are experienced divers but there were varying degrees of experience on the boat including beginners. The number of staff per divers was as bad as 9:1 at one time. The crew helped very little with the prep work of the tanks because there just were not enough of them. When the pound weights were questioned a couple of times we were told they were OK and my friend was underweighted twice and also had here weight belt break and fall off her in 70 feet of water flinging her to the surface. She aired her concerned that the clasp was cracked before the dive but they didn't carry an extra belt on the boat. Lack of back up equipment on the boat was a daily occurrence. We have dove in many places in Caribbean and feel this was truly the worst. I think the overall place could be improved more appropriate staffing and attention to detail.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank potatofish

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed January 22, 2014

This resort was absolutely wonderful. My friend and I were so happy with our choice. The food was excellent, the rooms were clean and the staff were warm and friendly. Las Rocas is tucked away beside West Bay beach so you get to escape all the people while still enjoying a beautiful view of the ocean. We completed our PADI open water certification on our trip and the staff at the dive shop were professional, helpful and fun. We will most definitely be visiting again! Note: the rooms here are not fancy, but are as I said very nice and clean. We didn't spend much time in our rooms anyways because we were out enjoying Roatan!

Room Tip: try to ask for a room on the top level for a nicer view of the ocean
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Moreno Valley, California
Reviewed January 13, 2014

What a difference a few months make. We visited and loved it in March of 2013. And went back.
I would like to start with positive points. They did pick us up from mid town when we decided to change hotels simply because we wanted air conditioning that the other one did not offer. Winston was definitely someone you could not forget. A gentleman very good at dealing with people and providing impeccable service. He made you feel like your at home. Was nice to have breakfast as part of the stay there. Was ok. Coffee was good. The restaurant was not bad either. Menu was limited. Found a gem of a restaurant not far from there called the Argentine Grill better food, better value.
Our cabin was infested with sand fleas I thought it was just the season we had already been in Roatan for a few days but after our stay there we could not get out quick enough. We we loaded with bug bites. The bathroom and shower was in awful condition. The bedding looked so used and worn. Very Disappointing! Will not be returning.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank LorenaGus
Terrace, Canada
Reviewed January 10, 2014

I stayed at this resort with my husband, 2 teenage kids and my in laws. This place is rustic..in the way that there really aren't any frills. That being said it was perfect for us. We stayed in one of the up and down accomodations...Loft uptop and 2 beds below, there is only 1 bathroom and a small fridge. There is also a deck outside the loft and one below when you come into the room. The "concierge" was helpful...but I wish they had explained how breakfast worked..since it was included in the price of our stay. When we stayed here there was no FREE internet..so what we would do is go along the beach and have meals or drinks and get their WiFi pass word. From the resort there is a promanade that takes you to the rest of west bay..tons of restaurants and things to do...All in all..this resort was worth the money and I would go back...

Room Tip: Pick a room that works best for you...sometimes the people above you are not very thoughtful about n...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed January 6, 2014

Just returned from a week at Las Rocas with my wife and three (young adult) daughters. We dove and ate at the resort for 7 days and it was a great introduction to Roatan. The staff were fantastic - especially Winston and Edgar in the bar - and they all went out of their way to do everything to make our stay more comfortable. The food at the restaurant was delicious and there was enough variety to cover us as we chose the meal plan to save some $. Fantastic lobster, shrimp, snapper and sea bass and the Italian flair made for some memorable meals. Plus Las Rocas' location on a quiet point at the West end of West Bay meant that a lot of folks from other resorts came to hang out, eat and/or have a drink. Dive staff was sharp and put up with five of us for six active days of diving. The boat goes out for three one-tank dives a day, which was perfect when my kids wanted to take a dive off and catch some sun. Our two story bungalow had recently been renovated and was small but comfortable although it would have worked better for four instead of five. Overall a great week as the food and staff definitely exceeded our expectations. The only negatives are that the wifi speed is achingly slow and the overhaning vegetation made it nearly impossible to see the ocean even though our bungalow was only about 100ft from the water. Small negatives really and I would recommend a visit if you are looking for a relative bargain and a nice quiet time.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Menlo Park, California
Reviewed January 6, 2014

I took the open water diving course with Nick Lakoff here this November and had an incredible time. Great instructor, great facility, everyone was very kind and patient. Despite substandard conditions (rain, wind, etc) we managed to safely get all of my dives in to become certified. Highly recommended!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed December 30, 2013

In planning my solo trip to Honduras I knew I wanted my last days to be relaxed. I decided to go to Roatan, one of Honduras's coral reef barrier islands and found Las Rocas Resort and Dive Center. I am not a diver but I liked the reviews of the resort so I booked 4 nights for the final days of my trip and it was very happy with my choice!

My room was a 2 floor cottage that could have easily slept 6 people with a deck and hammock on each floor. A pleasant walk from my cottage through a nicely landscaped courtyard, only a few yards from the beach, was the bar and restaurant providing great food, drinks and service. I liked it so much I ate there every meal although there were many nearby options for food.

The resort is small enough so that you do not get lost in the shuffle but with all the amenities of the much larger hotels on West Beach. If you do not dive, Las Rocas Dive Center offers several snorkeling adventures.

The location is perfect as it is at the end of West Beach and it is a short water taxi ride to visit West End. If you are there when the cruise ships come in, you'll feel twice as fortunate because of Las Rocas location being at the end of the beach.

I am 55 and there was a younger crowd in Roatan then I had previously experienced during my trip, I enjoyed the energy tremendously. I felt very safe there and often times didn't even lock my doors.

Room Tip: Try to book the one of the 2 story cottages but keep in mind that the bathroom is downstairs!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Bananarama Beach and Dive Resort
Foster's West Bay
Foster's West Bay
#7 of 14 in West Bay

Been to Las Rocas Resort & Dive Center? Share your experiences!