“Staff and scenery make the resort!” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Las Rocas Resort & Dive Center
Ranked #8 of 14 Hotels in West Bay
Atlanta, Georgia
“Staff and scenery make the resort!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2013

This was our first trip to Roatan (young couple, adventurous but non-divers), and the agency we booked through lodged us at Las Rocas. Here's our experience:

STAFF: Christina and staff are wonderful. Very friendly, professional, and patient with our (many!) questions, and when we needed to get out increments of our cash from the central safe. Housekeeping was very accommodating, brought extra pillows and restocked the mini-fridge with goodies each day. A new towel animal and hibiscus flowers awaited us each time they visited. Dive staff was super helpful with any questions we had about pricing and trips. We were able to just add staff tips to our hotel bill via credit card - also handy.

ACCOMMODATIONS: Resort was tidy and sweet, fenced in with a nightly security watch. Towels/bedding/rooms were freshened daily. The resort's bungalow rooms are a budget/value option priced a bit lower than what we saw on the rest of the island. They are appointed with basic amenities, and nice air conditioning. We stayed in a value bungalow on the first floor - they're two stories with one guest room/bath on each floor. Given the opportunity to do it over, we would have definitely requested the top floor of a bungalow (good views, no overhead foot traffic noise, less humidity inside) or paid the bit more to upgrade to a superior bungalow, since it seems like they have nicer bathrooms and newer furniture, and they're independent one-story bungalows (if you are looking for luxury/higher end lodging, these are more rustic lodgings). Either way, we had no complaints being steps away from the water and had what we needed!

BREAKFASTS/BAR/RESORT FOOD: Breakfast also included in agency booking cost. 8-10 AM each day. Great to roll out of bed and hit the Adirondack chairs on the deck for coffee, fresh fruits, pastries, and a surprise "hot plate" each day (eggs/toast/peppers, french toast/eggs/sausages, and Christmas morning, traditional fare - beans, plantains, sausage, etc). We did not try the bar for other meals (light snacks throughout the day then nearby Beachers late-night for most dinners since Las Rocas bar closes at 9-10), but we did grab beers and mixed drinks, which were great. Don't forget 2-for-1 happy hour. Also, the rooms have mini fridges with bottled liters of water, candy bars, Pringles, chili peanuts, beers, and soft drinks, all $1-2/each. These snacks were awesome to grab and go, and they just tally it on your end bill upon checkout.

CONNECTIVITY: There's a desktop computer with free internet connection in the lobby. We didn't opt for wi-fi and just checked email in the evenings while at dinner - most West Bay restaurants have wi-fi free of charge. Cute little book exchange and DVDs are $1/each to rent if you need your movie fix and bring a laptop. Our room didn't have a tv, but we didn't miss it! The front desk was very accommodating of folks who needed to make a local call (and happily translated for guests, too). The front desk also has odds and ends - rum, toothpaste, and bug spray - which dear lord you will need, with Roatan's infamous sand flies.

TRANSFERS from Airport: Flawless, and cost included in agency booking. A driver met us as soon as our flight landed, and the staff already had flight-time notes of when to have a driver pick us up for the return trip.

NEARBY: Las Rocas is a 1 minute walk onto West Bay Beach (without sitting directly on it, being a little secluded was awesome) to the left. We headed to this beach and met a local lady who toured us around the island ($45/person) and led us to a zip-line spot in Coxen Hole and to her mom's restaurant/house for traditional Machuca dinner. We also negotiated a couple day-tour boat rides from captains on the beach and snorkeled around. Directly to the right of Las Rocas is a quiet stretch of beach and water taxis to West End.

TIPS: Pack bug spray with deet (or heavy Badger Balm, etc) for the sand flies at dusk. ** Bring lots of small bills; change is scarce in West Bay even for USD $20 bills. ** Also feel free to bring a good amount of cash and store it in the resort safe with your passports/IDs - staff keeps a detailed receipt of anything you stores there, and we were able to avoid having to use credit cards all over the place. ** Room keys are on big chunks of wood - tie your key onto a hair elastic and wear on your wrist instead, then re-tie at the end of the week ** Be frank and firm with locals on the beach who will offer massages, jewelry, knick-knacks, sunglasses constantly - a quick "I just bought this no thank you" works wonders (and if you do want it - everyone will haggle a bit). One boy selling jewelry was very persistent and eventually started claiming he was just so hungry - so the bartender had a good laugh when we responded by offering the kid an order of french fries, instead of Lempiras for his shtick. ** Do not buy natural trinkets - conch shells, mahogany boxes, sea horses - customs is not a fan and it is evidently quite bad for the local environment ** A little Spanish goes a looong way - everyone appreciated our (sorry) attempt to be respectful and offer a smile and an Hola!

Room Tip: Ask for the top-floor of the two-story bungalows or upgrade to a superior bungalow!
1 Thank Jess and Chad R

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2013

My boyfriend and I spent 7 wonderful days at Las Rocas. The location is PERFECT! If you want quiet, secluded and romantic, this spot is for you. However, when you want more of a "party" atmosphere, then all you have to do is walk 5+ minutes down the beach and you have some great beach front bars and restaurants with live music and lots of great food.

George and Alex are the resident bartenders and they were awesome! Always ready to make us whatever drinks we desired with great smiles and genuine conversation. They offered insider tips and always remembered our names.

The front desk/reception staff was always accommodating. They made reservations for us at restaurants, booked tours and there is free internet use with their computer in the lobby area.

We had the Panarea bungalow and it was amazing! Nothing blocking our view. The ocean just steps away. The maids were always pleasant and left beautiful flower arrangements on our bed every day. My advice regarding the room is to bring your own pillow. (But I am also very picky about mine anyway.) The beds are not overly comfortable, however they are perfectly acceptable and how much time do you really want to spend sleeping anyway when you're in such a beautiful place?! Note: there is not a safe in the room. The reception staff will take your passports and any other valuable items and place them in an envelope in the safe in the owner's office if you like. We did this with our passports and wallets. However, we had a lot of cash as well as cameras, cell phones, etc.that we kept in our room and we never had anything stolen. Just use common sense. Keep things out of plain sight. Theft can and does happen anywhere, so why tempt someone by leaving your valuables out? However, I can honestly say that we didn't have anything stolen and again we kept all of our cash and electronics in the room.

If you are a diver, this is the place for you! My boyfriend was already certified before our trip, however due to some unfortunate circumstances, my certification was not completed before we left. I was very disappointed, thinking I would not be able to dive. However, Mirta was so accommodating and helped me contact my dive shop back in the states to make arrangements for me to finish my certification while there. As it turned out, I couldn't do it anyway because of requirements, but Mirta still made sure that I got to dive. She set me up with Laura and Dorian who were so patient and encouraging, and I had the most amazing first time diving experience ever! The water is so clear and warm and there is no shortage of incredible sea life.

Even if you just want to snorkel, I highly recommend it. Less than 10 minutes down the beach is an amazing spot called Black Rock. (This is actually a dive spot - we went diving there one of the days.) You leave your flip flops in the sand, put on your fins and mask and walk into the ocean. Swim a few feet out and you are literally right over the top of this magnificent place. Note: there will be locals trying to sell you a snorkel package. Don't fall for it. All you need to do is rent your snorkel gear from Las Rocas for a few dollars and walk down the beach to this spot. You won't get snorkeling anywhere that is better than this place and you can swim to it from the beach. No need to pay someone $30 to take you in a boat somewhere else.

Highly recommend: Go ziplining at Gumbalina Park. Book it through the front desk/reception. And pay the extra $10 per person to go through the wildlife refuge at the end. You can take all the time you want. You have your own guide. And you get to hold monkeys and macaws. It's not a zoo, but a refuge and the experience is well worth the money.

Also, ask the front desk about the "all-you-can-eat Lobster tails" at Celeste's. (On Wednesday nights only.) They will call and make a reservation for you. The owner of the restaurant came and picked us up (for free) and the meal was exquisite. Barbequed lobster tails (and yes it really is all you can eat) served with melted butter and garlic, a beautiful salad, potato and vegetables - all that for only $25. Plus they have a nice wine selection.

All in all, Las Rocas and the staff are wonderful and we had an unforgettable experience! We cannot wait to return!

Room Tip: Ask for the Panarea bungalow
2 Thank Jennifer H
Alexandria, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2013

We spent a week of snorkeling and diving. The resort is in a fantastic location. The staff is very friendly and helped us out in booking tours and other activities that we want to try. The diving center is on the premises and all you need to do is sign up on the board and go diving. The center is located only few hundred yards from some of the most pristine snorkeling places. There is an abundance of restaurants near by and the one that is connected with the center, beside serving good food, has a great Moire Eel show every night. Highly recommended.

Mathis, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2013

We stayed at Las Rocas for two weeks and could not have been happier. Our room, the Maddelena, probably had the best view of all (overlooks the water and beach). It comes with a fridge but no tv at this time. It was spacious and the bed was comfortable. They provide daily maid service and will adjust their cleaning schedule to fit your habits, i.e., we usually asked them to clean the room while I was diving. A big plus is the friendliness of the people and their ability to make you feel at home. A mini-mart if close by and a larger shopping district is within walking distance, about a mile away.

The diving was very good and our dive master seemed skilled and conscientious. He kept watch of everyone's remaining tank pressure and we generally had very good dives and no miscues.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Verona, Italy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2013

I went to Roatan to experience scuba diving and get certified (PADI Open Water and Advanced Open Water).
I chose Las Rocas because it seemed the best and most reasonably priced hotel of what is supposed to be the best area to stay on the island. It is in a very tranquil location. I'm not a beach girl so the fact that that you are on the sea but not ON the beach was a plus! But if you do want to go to the beach it's only really a two minute walk from the property.

The setting is great: right on the water, next to all the West Bay hotels, restaurants and beach but very well screened from it all.
(it seems it has been misplaced on the Tripadvisor map, it looks to me it is a bit futher north)

I had a wonderful time!
The staff is lovely and the general atmosphere is that of a big family.
That's one thing that makes this place special after the location.

The other thing is the food!
I spent two weeks there and I had a full meal plan so I can tell you I tried quite a few things on the menu! I was impressed with the mix of Hondurean and Italian recipes and the ability of the chefs. The fish is very good (lobster!) but the biggest surprise was the sausage pasta!! Excellent! And I'm Italian so trust me!!
Also, the restaurant staff went out of their way to accommodate all of my spoiled-brat requests!
I really don't know how to praise enough all the boys at the bar and all the ladies in the kitchen.

Bungalow: I slept like a log.
Yes it is true that if you're on the bottom floor of a two storey bungalow you hear quite a bit of noise from above but unless you're unlucky and you get some riotous guest (it doesn't seem the kind of place that attracts those) then you're going to be hearing noise for just a few minutes a day.
I found my bed excellent and my room was basic but comfortable, tasteful and good sized. My bathroom was fine and if there were signs of wear they were just normal for a sea side bungalow. NOT the signs of a run-down hotel.
My room and bathroom were all very clean and the maids are truly lovely!

I can tell you of the excellent service as I also tested the patience of Pasquale the manager: he helped me get out of a mess that I brought with me and that did not concern him or his hotel at all!
Here's the story: just before I went to Roatan I got news that my credit card information had been stolen over the internet so it was blocked. I thought that was the end of it but when I was in Roatan my credit card company let me know they needed a faxed police declaration of this theft in order to stop a large amount of money from being taken from my account. I'm not going into further boring details but believe me Pasquale and his staff saved my day and they helped me through this with great patience and by suggesting the best way to avoid spending extra money too!

The dive shop was my second home when I was there and although it is the first dive shop I ever saw in my life I can tell you that, as a beginner, they had a lot of patience with me and always made me feel safe and well taken care of. My two instructors (Dorian and Laura) were lovely and Yanni, Salo and the owner Mirta were always very helpful. The boat captain was also very helpful and attentive.
The fact that there is a decompression chamber and doctor's clinic at a short drive away also makes a diver feel safer!

The dives were amazing!! I was so spoiled by perfect diving conditions I'll never be happy anywhere else!!

I went to Las Rocas alone with my "scuba mission" in mind so I cannot tell you about anything else. I did not do any of the other exploration that would be worth doing, especially inland (there are several parks and a botanical garden on the island, monkeys, iguanas, …).

There is some good birdwatching too. I was being lazy but just from the hotel ground one can see quite a few beautiful birds. The almond trees next to the hotel attract scarlet macaws and I've seen so many yellow-crowned night herons, green herons and great egrets, various woodpeckers, … well you know how the tropics are!

One word of advice that is never repeated enough: use that bug spray! They have an excellent super power one at the reception. Buy it!!
But these bugs did not ruin my holiday!

Oh and about internet: yes you pay for it and paying for anything always hurts but the connection is very good and it works all over the resort. I was skyping all the time!

I HAD A WONDERFUL STAY! THANK YOU LAS ROCAS!
and did I mention: very good value!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank anna g
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2013

One of the best Caribbean vacations we've ever had! Excellent value for the money! Located on a secluded coral outcropping (the rock) at the north end of West Bay. Quick access to West Bay beach, bars, dining, shopping, water taxi's, etc.

Would rate the (superior) rooms as 3.5 stars...clean, comfortable, with queen bed, hide-a-bed/futon, bar fridge, and air conditioner, ....plenty good enough for the wife and I during our 2 week (Oct. 26 - Nov. 9) stay, considering we only used it to sleep at night or cool off during the day.

I give the staff 5 stars for exceptionally friendly service! Always willing to accommodate special requests, offer advice about the island, suggest things to do, and where to find the best deals. It's easy to see they love their jobs.

The restaurant has a limited, medium priced menu compared with other restaurants in the area, but everything we ordered was exceptionally well prepared. You must try their deep fried whole snapper. Their conch balls are the best I've ever tasted!

The Dive Shop seemed to have the best prices for diving / certifications on the island, and their competent, hardworking Divemasters Laura & Dorian, along with boat captain Jose, ensure you experience some of the best dive sites in the western hemisphere.

We will certainly be back, only next time the wife will bring more powerful bug spray for the sand flies, and I'll bring my own Tabasco sauce as there seemed to be a short supply when we visited.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
London, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2013 via mobile

My friend and I stayed at Las Rocas for 10 days. So glad we did! The staff was fantastic. Alex, George and Raul are hilarious behind the bar. Meals from the restaurant are delicious, though a bit pricey. The chef was kind enough to accomodate my dietary preferences, and everything still tasted divine.
The diving and snorkeling are unbelievable! Laura was our instructor and was very patient with my lack of experience. Dorian, Salo and Yovanny came with us on some dives and were a blast to have around underwater- while always making sure we were safe.
the rooms were pretty basic but very clean. Definitely didn't spend a lot of time indoors with so much to do!
Again, thank you to the wonderful staff for being so friendly, fun, hard working and knowledgeable! I hope to return. Thanks again Pasquale :)

• Stayed November 2013
Foster's West Bay
Foster's West Bay
#9 of 14 in West Bay
Infinity Bay Spa and Beach Resort

Been to Las Rocas Resort & Dive Center? Share your experiences!