“It was ok, but we would not return”

Las Rocas Resort & Dive Center
Ranked #9 of 14 Hotels in West Bay
Reviewed June 2, 2013

We stayed at Las Rocas recently and it had its good moments and bad moments.

Prior to arriving, I had corresponded with Pasquale regarding our room since we chose to upgrade to the "standard plus bungalow" and was told we would have an amazing ocean view worthy of $500 a night. Mistakenly I was expecting a view like the picture of the cabin with the hammock. Upon arrival, I discovered that was not the case at all. Our cabin had so much foliage blocked in front of it, you could barely see the ocean. When I inquired with Pasquale, I was told the cabin behind us was actually a "superior bungalow" and has a different price point.

Please update your website Las Rocas and give your guests clear expectations! Nowhere on your website under accommodations does it list a "standard PLUS bungalow". Its confusing and the way you talked about the $500 a night ocean view did not give me realistic expectations. Our room was "ok". After speaking with other guests we were thrilled that our bathroom was enclosed and not open air. We also would have loved a foot bath for our room since even though there was an outdoor shower, you had to walk through sand still to get back to our room. Our entire cabin felt like a sandy beach, bed included the entire week.

The staff at Las Rocas was hit or miss. We loved Winston and Alex and found them both to be extremely friendly and helpful. The dive staff was a little rude to non-divers. We did not find them to want our business at all. My husband and I do a little freediving and they have signs posted on the dive shop about snorkeling tours, island tours, whale sharks, and a freedive class sign. I was not a fan of this dive shop, and I found many of the others on west bay such as bananarama and west bay diver's dive shops to be WAY more friendly. *as a side note, the individuals we met who were doing scuba with Las Rocas had nothing but good things to say about the dive staff; the dive staff is just indifferent to non-scuba divers*.

The food was decent. Breakfast was edible most days and lunches were hit or miss. We never ate dinner at the resort since it was so expensive compared to every other restaurant on West Bay. At dinner the restaurant looked almost closed. I don't think I ever saw a guest eating dinner there and their specials stayed the same for several days during our visit.

The beach vendors. This was one of the worst parts. You expect to have people asking you to buy stuff when you're walking along the busy section of West Bay, but they swarmed the resort too. People would be trying to sell you stuff while you were eating breakfast, enjoying happy hour, lounging in the sun, sitting in the pool, etc. It was AWFUL. One older lady came up to me in the pool and asked us if we wanted a massage and we said no, but she just started massaging my shoulders and said "free five minutes". Well my shoulders killed from the rock hard beds and flat/non existent pillows so I figured I could just tip her a little at the end of five minutes...this woman would not let me get up to leave and then asked for $60 at the end. It was all around a horrible experience and she was being really mean about my husband who was scared and huddled as far in to the pool as possible so nobody would try massaging him. Your resort should be somewhat of a refuge.

The best part of Roatan and Las Rocas was the ocean and the new friends we made.

The water is amazing, even if you are not a diver. We took a dive flag and swam out to the reef in front of the hotel and saw huge barracudas, sea turtles, grouper, etc. We also walked all the way down to West Bay Beach several times to snorkel the reef over there. It is absolutely amazing. By far it has been some of the best shore snorkeling/diving we have ever done.

We also made some fantastic friends at Las Rocas and that is a great benefit of staying at a smaller resort and bonding over bats in cabins, shredded towels, and happy hour.

Overall - we would not come back to Las Rocas and we would more than likely not go back to Roatan. If we were to return to Roatan, there are plenty of other resorts and villas to rent that are comparable in cost and probably better maintained.

1  Thank mixpix45

Reviewed May 30, 2013

Had a wonderful week at Las Rocas Resort , we dove ,ate & met alot of really wonderful people, can't wait to go back. Easy boat taxi ride to the west end for shopping and night life. Las Rocas has alot to offer on a really small budget. And when the rest of the beaches are busy , this beach is still very quiet

Room Tip: All the rooms are great here , although not all have a TV, so if you want a TV make sure to ask for...
Reviewed May 28, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Las Rocas from May 18-25. We enjoyed the area and met some great people. We stayed in a one story bungalow a few steps from a beach. The room was clean and the air conditioner worked great, although the bed was very firm, we didn't notice after the first night. The office staff were very helpful and friendly (Tersa, Sasha, Christina) and Winston and Eric were great in the restaurant and bar. The pool was about 12' by 12' and was the best place to meet other guests and enjoy an afternoon drink or two. The breakfast was good with the exception of the hard boiled eggs with sauce. We didn't eat dinner there, but the lobster ceviche, lemon calamari and other appetizers were very good. We went on the dolphin snorkel and arranged it through Las Rocas. We don't dive so we went snorkeling on West Bay Beach. The best snorkeling is way at the other end of the beach. If you follow the white buoys you can get through the shallow reef into some deeper water. Lots of fish and coral. It was well worth the price and we will be back next year.

Room Tip: Panalleria is a good choice, although it is not ocean front, you have a sideways view.
1  Thank twistr
Reviewed May 22, 2013

Booked directly with Pasquale after looking at sites with many conflicting prices, made it clear that I wanted the rooms with a direct ocean view which when I talked to him was confirmed. On arrival this was not the case although the room was clean, had a peek of the ocean, and was cool. I attempted to resolve this both in person and via email and tried to explain that the room we received was more per night than even listed on line without any resolution. This and the very hard noisy cot/bed were our only complaints. The hard mattress is on a collapsible wooden frame that moves and creaks loudly when you move in bed. Breakfast okay, needed to get there early or many things gone. Winston and Alex were great the girls in the front desk great and housekeeping. The location around the corner from West Bay and other eating and drinking venues as well as the reef close was great, just watch for boat traffic, we carried a blow up diver down flag that worked great once we swam through the boat area, but it wasn't a big deal. Pasquale just would not budge and I hear that he is a good fair boss and doesn't lay people off in the slow season and everything is well maintained so this little riff is small compared to the positive things.

Room Tip: look online.
Reviewed May 19, 2013

We reserved with Las Rocas on the suggestion of a friend. For what we needed in a vacation experience, Las Rocas delivered. A well kept, clean, friendly, quiet and relaxing resort. We found that the other guests staying at Las Rocas were looking for the same thing, so to find a group of people from all over the globe who were like-minded was a genuine treat. The sense of seclusion was ideal yet anything you may want is just a short walk or water taxi away. The layout and design are beautiful. Not the obvious concrete "resort" on the beach. Nope, simple wood cabins with front porches designed to encourage new friends walk up and sit for a visit and good conversation - ideal. The humming birds came around every morning, the land crabs came out every evening. It was a natural environment and I appreciate Pasquale for designing the resort around the existing natural beauty of the property.
We used everything the resort had to offer including the dive center which was simple and friendly, the resturant which offered great food at a reasonable price, the reception center (the girls are awesome) and we relaxed in all of the areas that were designed to relax in.
We didn't go to dive, we went to snorkle and found that right off of Las Rocas was a great stretch of reef within swimming distance. It was an easy swim and we did it almost every day. The dive boat left at regular intervals and was inexpensive enough when we hopped a ride.
We were'nt looking for a five star resort experience, we can get that here in Florida. We wanted to disconnect - no phones, no e-mail, no pressures. Las Rocas delivered and we'll certainly book again.

1  Thank Wini M
Reviewed May 14, 2013

My brother and I stayed here for a week. I will say that the beds are very hard, the towels are aged, and the bathroom is rustic. But, the staff makes up for any of these shortcomings! They were the best! The food is incredible especially the red snapper. The mojitos are definitely trouble. The coffee is strong and thick! I miss y'all, and I can't wait to come back!

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed May 7, 2013

We stayed at Las Rocas from April 20-27, 2013 during our first trip to Roatan. It was perfectly located at the top of West Bay so that we could enjoy sleeping, eating and drinking there in between our walks to West Bay Beach for the excellent snorkeling, beautiful water and beach. Las Rocas is fairly small and well situated, but had almost everything we needed for a relaxing vacation. The staff were very helpful and friendly, and the bartenders Alex and Roger were some of the best we've found in our travels. They certainly have the best smiles! We rented Stromboli, a standard plus cabin located close to the dive shop and restaurant/bar. It was very nice, but we missed the breezes that we usually have in the Caribbean, as well as a chair or two to sit and read from. The almost constant hum of the compressor that is used to fill the tanks for divers was somewhat troubling, but we simply turned our music up. Overall we enjoyed our visit to Las Rocas very much and would recommend it to others. It is not a luxury resort, and there is virtually no beach to swim from at the property, but the place has character, excellent staff and a very handy location.

Room Tip: Standard plus cabins or superior cabins are the best value for the price.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Infinity Bay Spa and Beach Resort
Paradise Beach Hotel
Paradise Beach Hotel
#4 of 14 in West Bay

Been to Las Rocas Resort & Dive Center? Share your experiences!