“rustic but nice”

Ranked #9 of 14 Hotels in West Bay
Toronto, Canada
“rustic but nice”
Reviewed January 7, 2013

we stayed for a few nights at Las Rocas. The cabanas were nice, with a nice, high ceilings. The bathroom was very small, and often there was no hot water. Staff were friendly. The breakfast was great, it changed daily, but they were willing to make me eggs when only pancakes were available. The Hondurian breakfast was our favourite! Refried beans, sourcream, plantains, and eggs too! It's not located directly on the beach, but it's a quick 2 minute walk along a bridge to the beach.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank butterfly1621

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
Miami Beach, Florida
Reviewed January 6, 2013 via mobile

If your idea of relaxing on a remote island is lounging on a hammock (most rooms come with it) overlooking the sea, this is the place to stay on West Bay.

Las Rocas offers the best of both worlds- tranquility tucked away from the crowded strip of beach that are dotted with palapa bars; and yet all within walking distance (on gorgeous, powdery sand) to enjoy what West Bay Beach has to offer.

Las Rocas accommodations left my first visit to Roatan with a lasting impression- it was a girls' trip for my birthday. The staff collectively were very hospitable from the time I was picked up from the airport to the housekeeping staff, the office/front desk girls were just amazing...so were the bar/restaurant staff. The location combined with their "genuine island hospitality" makes Las Rocas the best home base on West Bay. I wasn't looking for a "big name" hotel or a 5-star all-inclusive resort to stay in...(I live in a resort community in South Beach, Miami) I wanted to stay in a rustic, serene property while on vacation; Las Rocas was the perfect setting for such a getaway. The bungalow on the water's edge where we stayed was so quaint and kept cleaned daily as well as re-stocked with water, juice and sodas.

With that being said, the best part about Las Rocas is the Dive Center- I can't say enough great things about their staff...My night dive with them was the most surreal experience I have done since I started diving in 1995 (only beaten by a manta ray night dive off of Kailua Kona). Calvin (sp?), the dive master is a very knowledgeable young man who has a true passion for SCUBA diving and the island's ecological preservation- he was most impressive. I don't think I will want to dive with anyone else besides him and his team in my future dive trips to Roatan even if I were staying at another property. I loved the personalized care and service that this team gave me during my dives - I also prefer smaller groups than the highly commercialized, big operations. I cannot wait to return for Spring Break 2013!

• Stayed November 2012
4 Thank LJ M
Denver
Reviewed December 20, 2012

My husband, 2 year old son and I stayed for the week of Thanksgiving. We prefer intimate, simple settings with the focus being on the natural beauty of the area, versus over the top hotels. We got a great deal with breakfast and round trip transportation to airport included. We upgraded to the standalone bungalows that have recently had some TLC.
We were thrilled with Las Rocas. From my early e-mail exchanges with Pasquele to the ride back to the airport, we were incredibly impressed with the staff! The front office (Kim and staff) went out of their way to accomedate any and all requests, Alex, Dragon and Winston made every meal a special occassion and they had a homemade birthday cake for my husband! Wonderful food in a spectacular small setting.
The accomedations were simple, peaceful and clean. I wasn't sure why the salt water wading pool never got filled up but with a short walk to the beach- no big deal. Everyone on the island that we met were genuinely kind and helpful. We went during a pretty rainy week and the sand fleas and mosquitos were brutal- no amount of Deet helped our cause- a lady later suggested baby oil as it creates enough of a skin barrier- have yet to try that.
The beach got busy on the days that cruise ships are in but we looked on a website in advance that alerted us as to what days they would be in port so we could stay away.
We did go to Gambolina Park- a short walk up the beach- on a rainy day in the morning and had the place to ourselves. I had been originally concerned about the treatment of the monkeys and the McCaws but as a sensitive animal lover, I was very impressed-
We would certainly go back again- tucked away from everything but you can walk to all that you need. Thank you Las Rocas- we miss you already!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank jedavispt
Punta Gorda, Florida
Reviewed November 19, 2012

Our overall stay at Las Rocas was awesome. The staff including Alex, Randy, Kim, Chrissy, Rosa, Carolina, Ava, dive master Kelvin were very friendly and informative. At the restaurant Randy and I sang together and Audrey played dominos with Rosa and Carolina. The staff even had a birthday cake for Audrey. The diving is incredible bring a camera, do not miss the night dive, very easy and the sights are worth every penny. Kelvin, dive master stresses safety and does a great job on the individual dives. His assistant Laura is also a very caring dive master. Nitrox is difficult to obtain, but the staff was able to obtain 2 bottles for the wreck dive. There is an adjoining beach and plenty of snorkling available. Live entertainment and karaoke is available just a 10 minute walk away on the beach. Food is excellent at Las Rocas and reasonably priced. Wifi is available but signal was weak but OK where our room was located. I stayed 2 weeks and rented a car at the airport, I'd recommend Thrifty Car Rental, more professional then the rest. I fished but in the far eastern section of the Island. The western section was stirred up due to rain and wind. Overall I highly recommend a stay at Las Rocas, as far as the bugs, as I told the staff, our bugs in Florida could eat theirs, bug spray also available there.

1 Thank Frank C
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed November 19, 2012

We (wife and I) spent a week at Las Rocas for relaxation and to enjoy the island. Las Rocas is not a flashy mega-resort which is what we like about it. It's small, laid back and relaxing. The service is second to none as the staff treat you like family. The restaurant/bar has excellent food in the perfect Caribbean setting and the dive team is second to none. If you're looking for the real Caribbean beach experience, Las Rocas is for you.

Room Tip: If you want a room with an excellent view of the Caribbean, ask for the "Alicudi".
3 Thank Ilikecruiseships
Cape Elizabeth, Maine
Reviewed November 14, 2012

Las Rocas- I can't say enough about the staff at the bar and restaurant and the value of the meals and drinks. Really A plus.
The rooms were clean although it would have been nice to have a bucket or something to dip your feet in before entering the room. Or maybe a broom for the room would work too. The floor gets sandy even when leaving your shoes outside the door.
Mosquitoes were tough at night while sleeping. The AC and fan helped but the bug coil worked the best. Remember the good bug spray for here and any where in Honduras. Leave the Skin so Soft at home.
Although the description says there is a pool, there isn't. The resort is located at the end of West Bay Beach and there is great swimming here and snorkelling at the other end too.
As long as you are careful to be aware of the boat taxis, you can get out to some great snorkelling and the wall in front of Las Rocas by swimming out 150 yards.
Good restaurant choices and a small shopping strip down the beach will satisfy what you need or want. The deli has rotisary chicken out of this world. Great price too.
We travelled at the beginning of Nov. Very rainy but the diving was still spectacular.
Las Rocas had generous happy hour for food and drink 2/1 drinks for $5 and food deals too. This really was a deal and gave us an opportunity to meet some other guests as well.
Overall the cost per night for us to stay at Las Rocas, at this time of the year was very affordable. I would have liked a few more amenities to the room, such as a softer bed, but overall it was a good value employing good people.

Room Tip: Buy some jugs of water at Edgars Shopping Center and anything else you may want to snack on or drink...
3 Thank Lizykurt
Birmingham, Alabama
Reviewed October 19, 2012

I met friends here and had a value room since I was solo. room was fine, nothing lux but clean, comfortable and relatively quiet. i don't like the room freezing cold so the AC on low cool was plenty for me and not to loud. everyone was very friendly and helpful. divemaster Kelvin and his staff were great. Sasha and Christine were very helpful in a car rental and zip line excursion and information about exploring the island. i would definately go back. breakfast crew took very good care of us and meals were very good. Randy and Alex took care of us at the bar. resort is in great location for walking to several great restaurants. make sure you go to the venezulan and to fosters. diving was easy and good. reefs are not as good as last time i was in roatan but saw some cool stuff. my only complaint is the little bars of soap, they suck. towels and wash clothes could also be renewed. make sure you bring bug spray or avon skin-so-soft for the no-see'ems. i did not miss tv or internet! went to bed early, 8:30-9:30 but was up at 5-6 and it was so peaceful and relaxing, especially liked reading in the hammock on my front porch!

Room Tip: had value and it was ok for a solo or those on a real budget. i would spring for the standard or sta...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends