“Basic, OK but not what I expected...”

Las Rocas Resort & Dive Center
Ranked #9 of 14 Hotels in West Bay
Perdido Key, Florida
“Basic, OK but not what I expected...”
Reviewed August 5, 2012

Las Rocas is a typical diver hang-out - nothing special about it - food is ordinary at best, accommodations are basic. What I don't like is that management is misleading - they don't tell you that many rooms do not have a TV...or that the internet-access is a joke (employees agreed, it's a joke) - wasn't functional for 50% of my 1 week stay...& they're still using outdated "G" rated wireless routers, so when service is available, it's extremely slow for multiple-users.

Also, they don't consult with you when they change agreed-upon plans, they just charge you extra & argue about it (no offer to compensate for the lack of PAID-FOR internet service)...?!?

The dive shop was good, especially liked Peter - very good dive-master...otherwise, I would rate this outfit a 2.

Room Tip: The value rooms are small & have noisy window-type AC units, no TV (same as some "Standard...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
lasrocasroatan, Owner at Las Rocas Resort & Dive Center, responded to this review, August 7, 2012
Thanks for your review. I'd like to add my answer since the "management" have been defined "misleading".

You have booked a dive package in a Value bungalow, our budget accommodations. When you arrived at the resort you asked for an upgrade because you wanted an ocean view. We showed you a Standard Plus (you have been the first one to use this upgraded bungalow) that was available for the first 5 days and a Standard, that was available for the last 2 days. You knew in advance that you had to change room and you had seen both rooms. We also gave you a great deal since we did not charge you for the increased price of the Standard Plus. I now read your complain about the TV. We DO NOT mention nor include the TV in the amenities of our standard and value bungalow. So I do not see why you were assuming that all the bungalows had TV. You asked for an ocean view and we guaranteed you a great ocean view.

As for the internet : you said "they're still using outdated "G" rated wireless routers" . Let me give you a technical explanation for that. We use (I am kind of a geek myself) a state of the art mesh wireless system, that give you internet access all over our property. Yes, our routers are "G" rated. A "G" router has a maximum connection speed of 54 mbit/s. Our guests are each allotted a 0.200 mbit/s second connection. It will take 270 concurrent connection ( in an optimal situatoin but I would say 100 maximum connection ) to saturate the output capacity of a "G" router. Our network NEVER have more than 15 machines connected at the same time. Even a "B" rated router would be enough for our network. You can have a Ferrari but if the speed limit is 30 miles/hour it will be of no use.
I agree, the internet connection is pathetic (in terms of speed) and at the same time outrageously expensive here in Roatan, but that's what we have available here on the island.

As for the unavailability of the service, the system had a black-out of 6 hours ( during the night ) because in one day Roatan experienced several island wide power black outs. One of them was late at night, when no-one at the resort could "reset" the system because of the power surge. I apologize for that, but I do not think it should entitle you for a full refund.

We're not perfect but we care about our business and we try to solve all the problems when they arise.

Thanks for staying with us.
Pasquale

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
Plano, Texas
Reviewed July 30, 2012

In selecting a place to stay in Roatan, we wanted a clean, quiet, basic and enjoyable place to stay that was right for the price -- and that's exactly what we got and more. And we both agreed we'd like to return.

We have stayed at 5-star luxury and all-inclusive resorts around the world, too, as other reviewers have felt the need to mention, and if that's what you're wanting, try somewhere else because this place won't be your vibe. We don't have children, and the quiet, rustic tranquility of Las Rocas was more what we wanted.

We stayed in the "Ventotene" room -- a "value" room I think, located on the second floor, which I would recommend so you get a better view and more privacy. We had everything we needed in the room (we didn't have a tv set, but didn't want one...we have several of those at home, and not what we wanted on an island). Let me address some of the "deficiencies" another review mentioned, because it sounded like he/she was staying at a completely different resort:

1. We did have a desk, which was perfectly fine for sitting, working, typing, writing, or anything else you might want to do.
2. Wooden chairs -- that's what we had, too, but I didn't find them uncomfortable as far as wooden chairs go. They're wooden chairs, not barcaloungers. They suited our needs just fine, but then again, we're not big on sitting indoors when vacationing on an island.
3. Our bathroom was completely enclosed, roof and all, like any normal bathroom. No leaks, no mold, and no silverfish, but I will say that if anything needed improvement, it would be this area. While it was clean, it could stand some TLC. There were a few tiny ants around the sink, but nothing that couldn't be remedied by the staff upon mentioning it.
4. I feel that people who might do the most complaining about this place could have perhaps considered the price more. Let's face it -- it's one of the better values in the area, so it would make sense that it's not going to contain the more luxurious amenities that some folks consider "necessities" in order for them to be comfortable.

Our room did, indeed, get so cold (this is adjustable!) that we needed the comforter at night. Our bed was really comfortable, but then again, we're not THAT picky with beds as some others might be who prefer Tempurpedics.

The food at the restaurant was delicious, and the staff serving it (WE MISS YOU, WINSON!) was friendly, quick, accommodating and warm.

I do have to agree with some of the comments about the dive shop -- but we let them know how they might improve in the future, and hopefully they will. Still, it's handy to use them, as you get use of the bathroom, weights, and a place to hang/store your gear so you don't have to use your room. No lockers, but they do lock up the shop every night. We brought our own gear, so we didn't have to worry about renting. They do not rent tanks for shore diving, but this isn't a place you'd want to shore dive anyway, considering the number and proximity of boats passing by.

We found the staff to be most helpful and accommodating during our stay. If there's something you're missing or needing, just tell/ask them -- if they can provide it, they will. Kim in the office even made phone calls for us, set up a reservation for us, and was willing to help us set up whatever excursions we might want.

The "pool" they have is called a "plunge pool" -- more like the size of a large jacuzzi. But with the ocean only 20-30 paces from our room, and with a pool back home, we didn't miss it. And think about it...no pool = less kids! The peace and tranquility alone at this place is something for which we'd return.

The location is AWESOME -- an aspect I think far underrated in its reviews. It's right on the edge of West Bay, so it's enough of a distance from the really nice beach (away from noise), but a short barefoot walk away. We had heard that West END was "the place to go," but we were so glad we chose West Bay -- and Las Rocas -- instead. West End is more for the 20-somethings who like to stay up, drink and party, whereas West Bay is more laid back, a little slower, and (for us), way more enjoyable. West End is only a 5-minute (and $3 per person) water taxi away.

We did so much on the island in addition to diving and snorkeling -- above all, I would definitely recommend either getting a personal taxi tour or renting a car/scooter for a day to see some of the other parts of the island. Each town/area has its own rhythm, tempo, and even cultural differences, and some of the views in the higher-elevated areas are simply breathtaking.

Room Tip: Ask for a second-story room to get a better view and more privacy.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank DallasBella
Reviewed July 19, 2012

Excellent stay in the month of June. The resort was just as we expected - laid back & casual, in a very tranquil setting. We were so pleased after traveling to the west end by water taxi that we chose Las Rocas as our resort. It is perfectly placed in the middle & everything is easily accessible. We chose a stand alone bungalow as to avoid neighbor noise. Food from the kitchen at the resort was GREAT (yummy chicken quaisadillas) (sp?)! We travelled by foot of an evening a couple of times to visit Banarama & a couple of the other resorts for their nightly meal specials. Again, Las Rocas is perfectly placed. My hubby had great fun with the dive center crew - what a great bargain the 10 dive package is!! I know without a doubt, when we have the pleasure of returning to Roatan, we will happily stay at Las Rocas!!

Room Tip: I would ask for the single bungalow again to avoid hearing people above me.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank PBMAC
Edmonton, Alberta
Reviewed July 11, 2012

My wife and I stayed at Las Rocas for two weeks in May 2012, and were joined by our kids for the last week. We stayed in superior bungalow right off the beach. We have travelled extensively and experienced two to five star accommodations depending on where our vacation takes us. So, although my review may sound overly critical, we did have a good time in Roatan.

The amenities in the room were very sparse. There was no functional table or even a desk in which to set up a lap top or socialize around. The table that was in the room was about 16 inches off the floor and was unsuitable for anything other than throwing odds and ends on. The chairs in the room were not even worth sitting on as they were the most uncomfortable things I have ever sat on in my life - they were only good for hanging cloths over. The tiny TV in the room was sitting on a tiny table that was also about 16 inches off the floor, so you couldn't even watch it when lying in bed because it was too low. My point here is that after a busy day snorkling, diving and exploring, it was not a very comfortable place to escape the heat and relax. I'm not expecting a Fairmont Hotel here but really, it doesn't take a lot of expense to ensure that rooms are comfortable and functional.

The Bathroom had an open roof (into the bungalow) so there was no privacy what-so-ever. Who came up with that bright idea? There was an obvious lack of maintenance - lets call it negligence. I had to get the maintenance man to come in and tighten the bolts on the toilet tank because it was leaking onto the floor. It looked like it had been leaking for a long time as the floor around it looked like it was rotting (nasty). The shower was old and even though it was cleaned daily, appeared dirty. The sink was in the same shape as the shower and there were silver fish all around it. The lower sink cabinet door would not close. Again, didn't any staff notice that? A simple adjustment was all it needed. There was no siutable place in the bathroom to put toiletries, and under the sink was out of the question. In general - the bathroom was not up to any reasonable standard. Little issues like this can be solved by training the cleaning staff to recognize and report issues to maintenance. Maybe have a room check list that they can provide management when cleaning the rooms. The rest of the bungalow appeared clean but I have to wonder if the same rags used to clean the bathroom were used in the rest of the unit.... I wonder how much training the staff receive on the "principles" of proper cleaning and disinfection?

Water - $2.00 for a litre? Really? You can buy a gallon for $1.00 in town. This is a basic necessity and the resort should provide it for free since you can't drink the tap water.

Our bungalow was well located right off the beach, and the hammock on the porch was a great place to chill out. The king size bed was surprizingly comfortable (a good night sleep is important). The staff were friendly and accommodating. Breakfasts had local flair and were tasty. Restaurant / Bar staff were awesome as was the food. The resort location is off the beaten path and was quiet at night. Free pick-up and return from the airport. Internet was cheap for the two weeks but again - should you need to pay for this?

In general, we were able to overlook some of these smaller issues and our vacation was good. For a good time rent scooters from Captain Vans in West bay - great and cheap way of touring the island, but watch out for the taxis - they are insane drivers. Many excellent places to eat but many are overly expensive. Make sure you eat at "Anthony's Chicken" in the West End - ask for the Jerk Chicken which is not on the menu but very tasty. In the evening there are BUGS! - hungry bugs - take lots of deepwoods off with you - something with lots of DEET. If you do get bit make sure you have some AfterBite or Calamine lotion with you.

Although there is a dive shop at the resort, we decided to take our business elsewhere. The equipment at Las Rocas was limited and the shop charged extra for dive gear. They would not negotiate on dive packages. As an experienced diver, I did not get a good vibe from this shop, but others said it was great so hey - each to their own? The Coconut Tree Dive shop was way more professional, did not charge for extras, transported your tanks, and bent over backwards to make our diving experience an excellent one.

There was a billing issue with my Daughter and boyfriend that was NOT resolved and they left bitter. The mystery "manager behind the closed door" would not resolve their issue.

With some proper management, an investment in upgrades and proper maintenance, this little resort could be the destination on Roatan island. The location is great. The staff are all great people.
It should not be up to the paying customer to point out things that have obviously needed fixing weeks or months ago.

Would I stay at Las Rocas again - no. The real problem at Las Rocas is not Las Rocas, it is the management of Las Rocas.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Rico_Sauve
Reviewed June 29, 2012

We spent a week at Las Rocas in "Ponza" a stand alone standard bungalow. Being on the ground level, there was no ocean view. The upside was that since it was a stand alone unit, there was no upstairs or downstairs neighbor, which is a great benefit since I've heard sound travels very well in the bungalows. The room was pretty simple. The AC was ice cold if needed, and the bed was really firm. The mattress took some getting used to, but after the first night I was fine. My one problem with the room was the bathroom. The shower stall needed some thorough cleaning. It was a bit moldy and covered in rust stains. The shower head faced outwards towards the bathroom instead of towards an opposite shower wall which meant the floor was drenched after every shower. I didn't feel comfortable in the showers because of the mold and rust, so after the first shower, I took 2 minute outdoor showers. Also, there were quite a few cobwebs on the higher walls in the bathroom.

Other then that, the grounds were lovely. I loved reading my book on the hammock in the morning before my friend woke up. It was kinda cool having bats fly by while reading. A few used to nap in the eaves of the bunglalow. Outside of course. The staff was friendly, and some were filled with great island stories. Kelvin at the dive shop was very patient with me, it being my first dive experiences ever. He didn't allow me to quit even though I freaked out once. Thanks Kelvin! There is a small beach to the right of the resort. It was rarely used. Seems most people walk over to West Bay beach which is just over the boardwalk. Everyone was very helpful. The monkey la la's were delicious. The breakfast's were adequate. Randi's stories were entertaining, and it was just an over all good stay.

I would definitely stay again, but only if I could have a better bathroom.

Room Tip: Met a woman who stayed in "Magdalena". It was the upper level of a 2 unit bungalow. She ha...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
, Owner at Las Rocas Resort & Dive Center, responded to this review, July 2, 2012
Thanks for your nice review. And your comment about the bathroom was spot on!
As a matter of fact all our 3 stand alone standard bungalow are undergoing a mayor renovation with a complete rebuild of the bathroom. Not just that, but also new floor, new silent and efficient minisplit air conditioner, TV, and a total internal paint job. They will be called Standard Plus to differentiate them from the regular Standard bungalows.
Thanks again for staying with us and we look forward to seeing you back with us.
Pasquale
La Quinta, California
Reviewed June 28, 2012

My husband and I stayed for 6 nights in June 2012. We could not have asked for a better experience! First of all, it's worth it to spend a tiny bit more money for a superior bungalow. We had "Panarea" which was, literally, 20 steps away from the water. The views were gorgeous and we even had our own little kitty cat (we named her Judy) that slept on our porch. We felt right at home. The room was comfortable and clean and was beautifully made up with fresh flowers every morning. We did have a TV in the room, which we only watched when the UEFA match was on, (congratulations Pasquale ha ha). The AC kept us cool and comfortable all night. Someone complained about the simplicity of the rooms, but we enjoyed it very much! We had everything needed for an island vacation! The staff at Las Rocas is far superior to any we have experienced at any other resort/ hotel in all of our travels! They always had friendly, smiling faces and were happy to answer any questions we had and help us when needed. We would be remiss not to mention Christine, Kim, Alex, Raul, Roberto and our shining star, Randy - bartender extraordinaire and the undisputed Prince of the island! The breakfasts every morning were delicious. It was always fun to be surprised with what would be on the menu for the hot meal. Also, there were yogurts, cereals, fresh fruit, pastries and fresh juices. My favorite was the huevos rancheros.

West Bay beach, which in our opinion, is the best beach for swimming on this side of the island, is located just steps away from Las Rocas. We took long morning walks and sunset swims here every day. If you want to snorkel on your own, walk to the end of the beach and set out. We saw some of the most beautiful creatures here! It's only a short walk up to West Bay mall where you can stock up on the little things you need, or grab a sandwich and a cup of coffee and even use the ATM.

Overall, we cannot say enough good things about Las Rocas. It's one of the last bungalow style resorts on the island and I can't imagine experiencing Roatan any other way. We will be returning to Roatan as soon as possible and will absolutely be staying here. We recommend that you do too :) Thank you, again to all at Las Rocas!

Ali and Greg 2012

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank AliandGreg2012
Calgary
Reviewed June 27, 2012

We had a great stay at Las Rocas. Laid back atmosphere at the end of the main beach in West Bay. Dive and Bar staff were exceptional and friendly. Rooms were simple and cozy. Everyone was very accomidating. Diving was great and close to the resort. Night dives are a must.
Only minus was the food. Not on par with some of the other less expensive places on the main beach of in West End.

Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple