“Just okay...”

Ranked #9 of 14 Hotels in West Bay
San Pedro Sula, Honduras
“Just okay...”
Reviewed June 20, 2012

My fiance and I stayed at Las Rocas for three nights in June 2012. I've been living in Honduras for almost two years so I generally know how things work at hotels/resorts in and around the country, but this resort was okay. We paid for a Standard room because we were told that it would have a guaranteed ocean view but our view was okay. We didn't stay on the resort much of the day so it didn't bother me that much. We don't dive and we weren't interested in learning (we earn our salaries in lempiras so it was quite pricey for us). One of the guys working at the dive shop offered to take us out snorkeling but it was $15 per person, and we found a place farther down on the beach (we walked ALL the way to the end almost every day, it was actually really enjoyable) that only charged us $5 per person for as long as we wanted. We went right offshore and snorkeled, so we liked that.

Our room was okay, although the shower needed some attention. The water came out of the shower head in all different directions, and the shower wall was missing some tile... also there was some water stains above the shower. It was nice that they had hot water, which we don't have at our house. So that was a nice treat considering I miss it! Our bathroom door was hard to shut (I had to practically slam it to make it close). We could hear everything that the people were upstairs were doing - every time they moved in the bed or they walked, they could hear it. The bed was pretty noisy as well but relatively comfortable. My fiance slept like a rock!

The deck on the bungalow was nice - I loved laying in the hammock. I booked this resort because they DON'T have internet (unless you want to pay for it) or TV because I wanted us to have an intimate relaxing vacation. The maids were lovely - they made our room up nicely every day, creating something out of the towels and scattering flowers on our bed. It was very sweet.

We ate breakfast at the resort every day, although there was a little bit of confusion about the time that breakfast is served. We were told that it was from 8-12 every day (another guest also mentioned that he was confused as well), but the staff at the kitchen told us it was 8-10 and the sheet in the room said 8-9:30. They offered a really small buffet and one option of a hot breakfast (whatever they were making for the day). I think they could offer a little bit more to the guests in terms of the breakfast buffet, but it was satisfactory.

Like I said, my fiance and I didn't stay on the resort any of the days that we stayed there -- we went to the beach every day, and one day we went to Anthony's Key for a dolphin encounter. The day that we went to the encounter, we asked the girl at the desk to please call us a taxi (looking back, we should have just taken a water taxi but oh well). She asked us why were going to Anthony's Key and I told her that we were going to their dolphin encounter. She seemed really angry that we were going there instead of doing their dolphin encounter (although I never saw it advertised and no one mentioned it) and told us that if we had done the dolphin encounter at Las Rocas, we wouldn't have to pay for the taxi and then said, "but whatever" really rudely. She called us a taxi and told us it would be $15 (285 lempiras) to take us there. My fiance asked her to assure us that it wouldn't be any more than that. She said it wouldn't be. When we arrived at Anthony's Key, the guy charged us $20 (400 lempiras) claiming that the lower price was only if he took us back to Las Rocas. I felt scammed! I totally suggest taking a water taxi because I'm not sure who was really telling us the truth about the price and/or the agreement.

Many other people talk about the bugs and sand flies on Roatan which is TRUE but the resort cannot control that, although the bugs DID invade our room one night which was kind of unpleasant.

Overall, our stay was okay. I enjoyed the time we spent in Roatan because I was with my fiance, but I don't think we would stay at the resort again.

Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank K K

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
Houston, Texas
Reviewed June 12, 2012

We had the best down time, great water, people and food. We were at Las Rocas for a week and could have stayed longer. Don't take anything other than flip flops, shorts and your swim suit of course. You must go eat at Berties, great food and the father-in-law to Pasquale, a hidden secret on the island. We did not want to come home.

Room Tip: All of these are bungalows, no TV in most, but the AC is freezing and you sleep like a baby.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Joel F
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed May 24, 2012

Las Rocas was a fantastic establishment to stay at. The people were all amazingly friendly and helpful, the location right on the water is hard to beat. The hotel is a minute walk to the white sand beach where there are lots of attractions, shopping, hotels and restaurants, but seemed to be the perfect distance away from all the hustle and bustle. The onsite restaurant was great, breakfast was ready every morning when we got up. The bar was a fun place to socialize in the evenings too and watch the sunset. The dive shop was a great time, we had many amazing dives with Peter and Kelvin, who are both excellent instructors. The small pool was very convenient to cool off from time to time throughout the day.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed May 23, 2012

Las Rocas resort is a great place to stay if you like a casual atmosphere, friendly staff and a reasonably priced room/cabana. Our room was cleaned daily and the linen/towels replaced - the housekeeping staff made "creatures" out of the clean towels and hibiscus blooms on our beds every day. Breakfast is a main course with fresh fruit, baking, juice, coffee, yoghurt and cold cereal. Las Rocas is at the north/east end of West Bay, so isn't actually on a sandy beach, but has great ocean view. It's actually a lot quieter than the rest of West Bay.

The dive shop is also great. We did 16 dives over 2 weeks and never went to the same site twice. Both divemasters are knowledgeable, safety conscious and competent. The equipment is as good as we rent from our local dive shop in North Vancouver - what you would expect from rental equipment. We were fortunate enough to do a night dive, a wreck dive, a deep dive and a cavern dive....along with several drift dives. We never had more than 8 divers on any one dive.

If you're thinking of a diving vacation in Roatan you should consider Las Rocas.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Dave L
Chantilly, Virginia
Reviewed May 6, 2012

Moderately priced hotel steps away from main beach area. Room needed attention upon our arrival. Shower curtain appeared dirty, door lock did not work upon our return to our room on the first full day, plaster fell from ceiling and our friends in the room below us had a plumbing problem. Instead of finding another room, hotel staff came to attend to our concerns. All problems QUICKLY corrected when told to management. Employees/staff were VERY, VERY, VERY helpful and took care of all of our concerns. Roberto at the bar took care of all food/drink requests. Rooms had a/c and hot water and area was safe. Breakfast included with room charge. No in-room entertainment of any kind in our rooms. Non-potable water at the Las Rocas, buy bottled water at a market. Did NOT have a bad meal at Las Rocas and in Roatan for that matter until the last night in West Bay. We went to the Paradise resort roof top restaurant and meal was disappointing. Many terrific places to eat all along the beach area there in West Bay.

Went to Roatan to scuba dive. My dive buddy and I did not like the dive operation there at Las Rocas due to size of boat and number of divers we saw getting into the boat the next morning. I personally do not like "cattle car" operations and that appeared to be the case here. We found the TGI scuba center a short walk way from Las Rocas with much larger boats. We gave TGI our business and never regretted the decision. Large boat, off season diving, and on our last dive we only had 4 paying divers on a boat that could easily hold 15+ divers. There were more dive masters and boat crew members than paying divers which made for enjoyable trips to/from dive sites. Not stepping on other peoples fins and banging air tanks getting into/out of the water is important to this diver. You're never more than minutes away from fantastic diving.

Finally, it was a good thing we went early to check out and review our room charges. Hotel staff got our bill mixed up with our friends bill and it took a good half hour to correct. Hotel had my charges on my friends room bill and my friends home address on my bill. All was corrected but it took time.

Room Tip: Get bungalows located near office.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Frank G
lasrocasroatan, General Manager at Las Rocas Resort & Dive Center, responded to this review, May 9, 2012
Hi Frank and thanks for your review. I am glad to read that some initial problems with your bungalow were promptly taken care and resolved. I would like to comment on the negative review about our dive operation. It's been defined as a "cattle car" operation, which is quite the opposite of the type of service we provide to all our guests. We have 2 dive boats and we generally go out with 4/6 divers maximum on each boat. The day you arrived you noticed a "big" group of 10 people on one of our boat. It was actually a Dive Club that specifically asked us to dive all together. As a matter of fact, none of our other guests dove with them for the entire week. We used our second boat for our average 4/6 group of divers. It's a pity that you did not come inside the dive shop to ask about for some info, but headed straight to the beach looking for another option. We would have gladly explained and assured that you would have been diving on another boat and not with the Dive Club.
Some Bar/Restaurant tabs were mixed with the ones of your friend because you were eating/drinking together; it's our fault , I apologize for that.
I hope you had a pleasant experience in Roatan and we look forward to seeing you back at Las Rocas Resort.
Pasquale Paonessa
Houston, TX
Reviewed April 23, 2012

Great lodging on West Bay in Roatan is Las Rocas Resort. It is on the beach, has a restaurant, clean and comfortable rooms with AC and hot showers, a dive center, close to snorkeling and beautiful beaches and has a wonderful and friendly staff. It is moderately priced and usually includes breakfast and can include all meals. It is just a water taxi away from the West End. The website is lasrocasresort.com. I have stayed there seven times out of the last seven years visiting and I was there the week of Thanksgiving.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank tonifuq
California
Reviewed April 18, 2012

Just got back from Las Rocas. I was there with my son for his 12th birthday
The main reason was to get him certified mission accomplished. We had a wonderful instructor and the rest of the dive staff was great. The girls at reception area were really nice and helpfull and when I had a small complaint about the people above me being to loud they moved me right away. The room was nice and The staff at the bar were great always ready to mix one up, Randy even showed my son how to island fish.
In the morning of my sons birthday there was a knock at the door and we found the whole staff there with cake and singing happy birthday to my son This really shows what kind of place it was and how thoughtful the staff really was.
WE Will be going back some day I just hope it is soon.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Bananarama Beach and Dive Resort
Foster's West Bay
Foster's West Bay
#8 of 14 in West Bay

Been to Las Rocas Resort & Dive Center? Share your experiences!