“Pleasant time @ Roatan”

Ranked #9 of 14 Hotels in West Bay
Guatemala City, Guatemala
“Pleasant time @ Roatan”
Reviewed December 14, 2011

This hotel is a total escape from the routines of the big cities, we had a great time with my wife and enjoyed it very much. The staff was always helpful and the room was always clean. We stayed for a week on a small cabin on the second floor. It had the basic stuff plus a mini bar and A/C, also our package included daily breakfast. It has a small restaurant with a great cook, the meals we had there were awesome. However this is no luxury hotel, if you want a quiet place to enjoy with your partner and are not looking for extreme luxuries this is your choice. From what I heard from the hotel staff the best time to go there is between February and August, they advised us to refrain to come on the "holy week" where everything gets hectic they say... because of the high volume of visitors during that week. We are really looking forward to going back some time soon.

Room Tip: Choose the ocean view rooms on the second floor in front of the little beach the hotel owns
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
Nova Scotia
Reviewed December 13, 2011

I am an extensive diver who books at least one dive trip a year down in the Caribbean. After doing some research, I decided upon Roatan, Honduras as it is supposed to be the best dive location.

I chose to book a dive trip through Las Rocas with 10 day dives and 1 night dive to be done. I only ended up doing 4 of my dives and the night dive was a horrible experience with myself and my dive partner having been left behind from the dive group with flashlights that barely worked! Upon voicing my concerns and complaints, I was informed that it is not the DiveMasters responsibility to look out for her divers and subsequently I was then overcharged for my dives with no re-course! The coral is dull with almost no colour, there is next to no marine life to be seen and the dive shop is very unprofessional and unsafe. We were told that we could do many of the "perfect" dive sites only to be told that they would not do them on the day of!

The restaurant has an overpriced menu with most of the items not even available! My friends and I ended up eating elsewhere for the extent of our stay after our first meal! They advertise Happy Hour free Pizza Balls which I did not see once in my 9 day stay! You also have to keep very close track of what you are signing to your room as they will add items to the bill that you did not even have....better off paying cash at the time of purchase and even better off not even eating there!

We were offered an island tour for $50.00 and were only informed later that every place we stopped at would be an extra expense, such as the botanical gardens, iguana farm etc......not to mention that it stipulates online that you are taken care of for the day, that involves you dishing out money for these stops as well as lunch cost!! A waste of money!!

After reading a review about the rooms not having a tv unless you pay extra, I sent a query to which I was told that it would be an extra $50.00 for my stay for a room with a tv. I decided that it would be nice for the evenings to have a tv in the room only to find that it was the size of my computer screen and all channels were in Spanish with the exception of one or two.....in other words, not worth the extra expense!!

In all my years of travelling, this was by far the worst experience of my life and I would definately NOT recommend Las Rocas nor the Dive Shop!!

Room Tip: Don't choose this resort
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
10 Thank Sunshine13NovaScotia
lasrocasroatan, Owner at Las Rocas Resort & Dive Center, responded to this review, December 22, 2011
It's really sad to receive bad reviews like this, especially when they are full of lies and part of a retaliation act. As the managing owner of the resort, I think is fare that I present my side of the story.

"The restaurant has an overpriced menu with most of the items not even available! My .........."
Our restaurant has two different menus : the lunch menu is based on Pizzas, Salads, Sandwiches and finger food. The average price of a sandwich is 8 $, a 10 inch pizza is 9 $ a salad is 8 $. Dinner menu features full courses, mostly seafood. Prices range from 12 to 25 $. As a matter of fact we are probably the cheapest restaurant business of the West Bay Beach area. This particular guest only ate ONCE, the day of her arrival. Ordered a chicken quesadilla (7$) . The waiter mistakenly served a side of tartar sauce instead of sour cream . That was enough for her to determine that she would NEVER eat at the restaurant again. I really do not know what she is talking about when accusing of not receiving the FREE pizza balls for the Happy Hour and checking about table tab, since she has NEVER again eaten at our restaurant.

"We were offered an island tour for $50.00 and were only informed later that every place we stop .........."
The island tour we offer requires a minimum of 4 participants. This is NOT what she purchased , they (3) did not have the minimum number. Instead she asked to be referred to a trusted taxi to be taken around the island. We were NOT involved in what she agreed upon. The island is 38 miles long. She left in the morning and returned at night. I feel that the 50$ she paid for the taxi was a more than fare price, considering that a gallon of gas in Roatan costs $ 5.50.

" I was told that it would be an extra $50.00 for my stay for a room with a tv" . Totally misrepresented. She upgraded her reservation from a value bungalow to a standard bungalow. The TV is one of the differences , besides a bigger room, different bedding , different type of A/C and ocean view. On top of that she complains that most of the channels are in Spanish ...... We are in Honduras , the official language of this country is Spanish. And by the way there's plenty of english speaking channels, among those, CNN, ESPN, FOX and others.

"and the night dive was a horrible experience with myself ..........."
All our dives , including the night dives, are lead by an instructor, not a dive master. This even increase the level of safety, considering the skills of an instuctor compared to those of a dive master. She had claimed to be an experienced diver and that she wanted to buddy with a particular diver. It turned out that both of them were not really that experienced, and, on what we believe was one of the few night dives she made, they both felt very agitated. That particular night dive had only 4 divers and the instructor. The instructor never lost sight of the divers , not even for a second, and I find very difficult to believe that they were left behind, being such a small group. She decided to stop diving and pretended to be refunded for the unused part of the package . We DID refund the whole dive package (each dive has a discounted value of 24 $ ) and billed her the regular price (35 $ each ) for the dives she actually completed. That was not to her satisfaction : she still wanted to pay 24 $ for each dive.

The truth is that she tried in every possible way to get a discount or freebies, alleging bad services or problems that actually never occurred. As per our reservation policy we require all reservations to be paid in advance within 15 days of arrival. She made her reservation, and delayed the payment with lame excuses, last of it , PayPal not allowing her to make the payment, despite being already a registered users. Eventually I trusted her and allowed her to come and pay at time of check out.

Everything is quite clear to me now, as being part of a scheme.

I respect every reviews, even the bad ones, they help us improve our business. We consider our guest's satisfaction our FIRST PRIORITY. But in this case I feel that we've been cheated and retaliated.

Respectfully,
Pasquale Paonessa
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed December 7, 2011

Ate several meals and downed several drinks here - Richard the bartender was awesome - willing to make new drinks, friendly & fun to party with. The food was great -overcooked lobster not so much 1 night, but other meals were de-lish. We didnt stay here -stayed in condo right next door - but a grlfrnd & i met Trent, who was & saw his little 'cabin' -very clean & cute - would definately not hesitate to stay here. Trent -I wish i got your info to get in touch down the road - heres hoping we can - at Las Rocas! If anyone in his group knows how to get ahold of him...forward him my info plse ! thanks ;) on Roatan 11/26-12/3 good times

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Gardiner, Montana, United States
Reviewed December 7, 2011

Las Rocas has a peaceful location and the cabins are clean and comfortable...as one traveler noted--it is a bit rustic but if you know a few things before you go--I think any potential disappointment can be avoided. That being said these are somethings to know--there is no pool..it is a hot tub sized plunge pool, the breakfast buffet was somewhat uninspired..wanted to see some great fruit..perhaps we were there off season. The dive shop seemed more interested in scuba divers than directing us to snorkling sites...but I will say the staff were friendly and it seems to really explore snorkling sites one may have to rent a car. The far end of West Bay beach near some cliffs was great snorkling--we walked there daily. Roatan is not developed with big resorts..but it is not cheap either. Bring cash.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed December 6, 2011

We picked this resort because of its size and location and we were very pleased. 100 yards from the West Bay beach and walking distance on the beach to West End, the diving is outstanding and if you get an ocean view room, you get out of your room to board the Dive boat. One of the best Diving I have done in the Caribbean so far and a nice little restaurant when you get back to fill your hunger at reasonnable price. If you go in May, you may be able to see the whale sharks in Utila , they charter boats during season.
In West End, do not miss to go to Besos restaurant and Blue Channel Pizza

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Columbia, South Carolina
Reviewed December 5, 2011

My female friend and I stayed there while she was doing her SCUBA certification. The service was very good and the staff was extremely friendly. Their lobster burritos were absolutely delicious. I couldn't get enough of them. The rooms were nicely appointed and clean. The only complaint was no t.v., but I didn't go there for that anyway. I went there to relax and suceeded in doing just that. There's nothing quite like enjoying a great view of the Carribean from a hammock with a delicious drink in your hand; all of your worries quickly disappear.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Chesterton, Indiana
Reviewed December 4, 2011

We came to eat at the Bite on the Beach but it was closed so we ate here. Wonderful homemade tortillas and empanada type sandwiches. The fresh fish were our favorites!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family